Circuit City Alive from the Dead

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Circuit City dot com has been brought back to life. For a period of time anyway. Similar to the Compusa deal when Tiger Direct bought the name, Systemax (IIRC) bought assets and the name and relaunched the website today.

• Admin
Yeah, they have been mass emailing everybody.

Kinda sorry to hear that. LOL! That was a store I never had any use for the first time around. To me the name "Circuit City" not only has no market value- it brings negative value to whatever else is associated with it. I feel the same way about Radio Shack and K-Mart.

• Admin
I actually kind of agree with you Pinged.

Radio Shack isn't THAT bad. If no one else has the electronic gadget you're looking for, Radio Shack does! And that's the only time I use them, when I can't find it someplace else. They are higher thatn your average store on their prices, which explains my lack of going there.

• Admin
Do they (RS) still ask for your phone number and zip code to purchase batteries? It was even in a Seinfeld episode it was so bad.

Yes. I tell them they don't need it.

Do they (RS) still ask for your phone number and zip code to purchase batteries? It was even in a Seinfeld episode it was so bad.

A few years ago, I made a cash purchase there and had to return it. They wouldn't take the return without that info. I lied.

After my recent experience with another company buying a dead name* I won't be venturing into the store (real or virtual) until I know there is some longevity.

*Micron PC buying Gateway's business division, and Acer buying the consumer division - then when I had problems with my Gateway and "Gateway" (Acer) sent me to "Gateway" (Micron - bankrupt) via a form email. And then when I emailed "Gateway" (Acer) to say: (1) I bought a laptop for personal use, not business; (2) all the links you sent me to "Gateway" business support are dead and you knew that before you sent me the form letter because the company filed bankruptcy and liquidated last year; and (3) you are still selling computers on the same website I used to buy mine . . . I got no response.

I still can't believe they send out that form letter acting like you can get help elsewhere and including dead links. That's just cheap.

Toys R Us use to ask for your phone number also, I always refused as what the heck does that have to do with me buying their crap?

I always gave one of buddies phone numbers at radio shack.

Back in the day, when I worked in the state mental hospital, I'd give the number of a pay phone on one of the wards. Always hoped someone would call.

Ok I kinda lied, I did give a phone number to them a few times & my wife would always give me that funny look as if to say "you aren't as funny as you think you are". I would give them Empire carpets number. 588-2300, not sure if they are nationwide or not but in the Chicago area their ads would always be on tv with a little jingle for the phone number.

Ok I kinda lied, I did give a phone number to them a few times & my wife would always give me that funny look as if to say "you aren't as funny as you think you are". I would give them Empire carpets number. 588-2300, not sure if they are nationwide or not but in the Chicago area their ads would always be on tv with a little jingle for the phone number.

And now it's running through my head. Thank you so much! :at-wits-end:

We have empire in LA too, call empire today.

Back in the day, when I worked in the state mental hospital, I'd give the number of a pay phone on one of the wards. Always hoped someone would call.

Being a patient there and cleaning your room has very little to do with "working there"...hehe

Among many other jobs I've had, I sold computers at CC one summer before grad school. That should tell you everything you need to know! Actually, I'm kidding. They provided a ton of training; way more than Best Buy, their arch-nemisis, provided their employees. Some CC salespeople actually knew what they were talking about. I wasn't one of them. Anyway, the downfall I think came in large part from the internet, where people can research without the need of an educated salesperson (think travel agents), and can find the least expensive offers easily, plus the profit center at the store was very minimal, and was set up to push the extended service plans (which are nearly 100% profit, because few people who buy them ever use them in practice).

I also thing they were caught in the middle so to speak. They could not fight the price war with Best Buy do to the brands they were carrying at the time. But they also did not have the products to compete with a store like a Tweeter.

Back