Bought SLDR on ebay, item not as described... doh

rallo

#FYF
Reaction score
Handicap
goodenough
Hey everyone. So I recently purchased a SLDR 10.5 driver on ebay, and was pumped to get it. The seller listed the item as gently used and 'only played about 10 rounds' but in overall great condition. The in-hand photos looked good, but there were only four: the crown, the face, the sole, and the shaft. The package arrived Saturday, which was perfect because it was the day before my birthday. I open it and was instantly upset. The shaft adapter had a crack in it and appeared as though it didn't tighten all the way (club didn't come with tool so I couldn't check) There were also some scrapes along the shaft by the adapter as if someone had tried to pull the adapter. Another problem was that there was a pinpoint dent on the crown... although you can barely notice it. I'll say it again, I was upset, and I opened up a case on ebay and sent a message to the seller. I hope it wasn't too inappropriate, as I think we can resolve this issue.

I wrote:

"Thank you for the fast shipment and transaction, but the club is not in the condition described. The crack in the adapter is very worrisome and could affect the playability of the club. I am honestly afraid to swing it for fear that it will break. It also appears that there are either scrapes or excess glue on the shaft down by the adapter which leads me to believe that the club was tampered with as SLDR drivers do not appear this way from the manufacturer. These two issues should have been addressed in the club's description rather than a blurry photo where you can 'kind of' see the crack. There is also a small dent in the crown by the heel of the club. While that isn't a huge problem, I don't think that, when combined with the other issues mentioned, that this club can be described as in "great condition". Please refund the money via PayPal and I will send the club back. I feel we can fix this without ebay having to take action. Also, I see no need for bad feedback if we can solve this situation amiably."
You've requested:
A refund. The refund amount includes the purchase price plus original shipping.

You handled it perfectly imo...give him a chance to do the right thing and then if not take the necessary measures.

I agree with Mike. You worded everything in a very non confrontational manner. I would hope the seller does the right thing. Good Luck.

Good luck with those dude.

ezytuse3.jpg
aneruhag.jpg

so, it's kind of hard to see, but the crack goes about 1/3 of the way down the ferrule. It also makes a faint *tink* like a clicking of metal if you put any pressure on the head, which leads me to believe it's not on there solidly or something is up with the screw/adaptor connection. Those scrapes or excess glue can be seen 360* around the club

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
uvume4u6.jpg
ynuqere2.jpg
ejedume8.jpg
matyme9y.jpg
abadysab.jpg

The dent is like a pinpoint press that is not visible unless in full light. If the rest of the club had been perfect I might have actually let it go. But you can see how it reflects like in a goofy manner and is easily visible in full light. In the first 4 pictures it is the 'dark spot' in the reflection of the white counter. Am I overreacting for this pinpoint indention?

Handled properly and I would definitely not take a chance on that after seeing the pics.

Totally appropriate on your part. No way I would accept that club in that condition unless those things were pointed out in the listing (and it was an absolute steal).

The crack is as clear as day, and I'd definitely be worried about using a club with a crack in the adapter like that. I think the message is more tun acceptable, and having paid by paypal, I would say you are more than covered, there is no way that item is as described. Of course, if the crack in the main adapter is your main concern, you could take the club down to your local club fitter and have them replace the adapter, I don;t believe they are too much at all.

The crack is as clear as day, and I'd definitely be worried about using a club with a crack in the adapter like that. I think the message is more tun acceptable, and having paid by paypal, I would say you are more than covered, there is no way that item is as described. Of course, if the crack in the main adapter is your main concern, you could take the club down to your local club fitter and have them replace the adapter, I don;t believe they are too much at all.

My worry is both the crack, and the fact that there are scrapes or excess glue all around the shaft by the adapter. If someone pulled the shaft and then incorrectly put it back together it could be a recipe for disaster. Combine that with the dent...

If the seller will not help you out you can always call TM and see if they will do something for you

My worry is both the crack, and the fact that there are scrapes or excess glue all around the shaft by the adapter. If someone pulled the shaft and then incorrectly put it back together it could be a recipe for disaster. Combine that with the dent...

It also could be the shaft is coming out of the adapter

I don't think you're overreacting at all and have handled the situation beautifully. If the seller won't work with you, I don't think you'll have any problems once eBay gets involved. That club has obviously been damaged and tampered with. Makes you wonder what he really did to it. Poor "toss" after less than stellar contact off the tee?

You did the right thing, I would send it back to the seller too in that condition. Hopefully he will refund your money. If he don't, I know that eBay will most of the time go with the buyer on disputes.

Your response to the seller was perfect in my opinion. Did the seller have many transactions and good feedback?

ygegaqeg.jpg

I now have concerns that the club could be counterfeit. I was concerned that by the serial number there is a "+B" mark on the hosel. I looked it up online and some people speculate that it is COR tested hot melt version available on the tour version of the driver. I called TMaG to check out the serial numbers, and the guy there was concerned because the numbers check out with the tour version, but my driver is missing the toe weight and TP stamp that is usually associated with these models. He said the only way this would make sense is if it came off of a tour van (which he said is very unlikely) He said the only way to be sure is to ship it in to TMaG... which i don't really want to do.

Does anyone here know about this?

Looks like you handled it very well. I hope the seller does the right thing for you. Good luck. And, as others have said, you might get into contract with TM and tell them the situation and who knows, maybe they will step in and hook you up? They are a great company, they just might do that for you.

UPDATE

UPDATE

Seller response

"Hi. I'm sorry you're not happy with the club. I took the adapter off the shaft and used it on an aftermarket shaft and then put it back on the club because I wanted to keep the aftermarket shaft. I have another brand new SLDR adapter I can send you and could refund you $20 to get the new adapter put on if you like."

My response

Your message to the seller:
"Thank you for your quick response. I also appreciate the offer, but unfortunately I cannot be sure that the shaft tip or screw isn't damaged. There was also the matter of the small dent near the heel of the crown which makes the head less desirable to me. I would prefer a refund, and I would be willing to pay shipping back to you if the money was refunded via paypal first. An alternate solution is that I take it to the golf shop here so they can take it apart and examine the head/screw, and if they check out. Get another pulled shaft w/ adapter. I see on Ebay that they are going for about $55 shipped. So IF that all checked out and you refunded me the $55 for the shaft, and I could even send you the original shaft/ adapter back. Which would you prefer? Full refund, or check head then shaft replacement ($55)?"

Seller response

Seller's message:
"The adapter itself cannot crack, only the plastic ferrule. Also, there was absolutely no dent on the head-are you sure you aren't looking at a fingerprint smudge? I have done club repair work for years-in order to get the adapter off, you have to heat it up and plastic doesn't do great when heated. Feel free to take it to your golf shop and see what they say. "

Have you heard anything? Sounds like you handled it well. What was his refund policy that was listed in the auction?

EDIT: Looks like you posted his response as I posted my questions.

I will say in regards to his response. He is right, that is only a crack in the ferrule, not the adapter itself. Honestly though, if you have multiple concerns over this purchase, I'd just check and see if he would take the entire thing back. I know if I was the seller, I probably wouldn't agree to the $55 part that you are asking for. That's just me though.

I would get my money back and not fool with any of that other stuff unless you got a killer deal for the driver.

You are certainly handling it well and the seller (so far) seems cooperative. I hope it works out for you.

I would possibly challenge him on the origin of the club since TM seems skeptical.

If it is an early tour version it will not have toe weight screw. It should just be the standard plate with a screw through it this was a reaction to CHIII losing the glued on plate and getting a penalty which did not happen until the SLDR had been on tour for a few weeks

There are no TP sticker/decal on any heads the only diffrence is the shaft it has a TP logo on it the prototype 430 had a sticker on the toe but that is the only one

The seller still should refund you if you are not happy

That guy saying he dose club repair work is funny i would be ashamed if some thing i worked on looked like that i have never been able to save the plastic part of the ferrul to get a even heating it usally gets a bit melted

As others have said, give the seller time to respond. If you used PayPal or Ebay they protect against things like this. Good luck!

Back