Should PGA/LPGA Caddies be allowed to use push/pull carts?

Six4three5

Tour Star...Layin' Up!
Reaction score
Handicap
2.5 GHIN
Not sure why I was thinking about it, but what are your thoughts? Should they be allowed to use push/pull carts? Would it offend the folks that feel the players shouldn't be allowed to wear shorts? (I'm one of the folks that feels the players should be in slacks but it wouldn't bother me if caddies were permitted to use push/pull carts)

I'm indifferent really I wouldn't be up in arms either way, but if they could use the carts it's similar to NCAA, couldn't the player just push the cart?

I think they should. It does not give a competitive advantage either way. If they still maintain caddies, it would open up that field to qualified individuals that are not physically able to carry a staff bag for 18 holes.

I'm indifferent really I wouldn't be up in arms either way, but if they could use the carts it's similar to NCAA, couldn't the player just push the cart?
I suppose if they didn't want to pay for a caddy right? That'd be interesting to see a guy say he wants to save money from paying for a caddy and pushing his own bag.

I suppose if they didn't want to pay for a caddy right? That'd be interesting to see a guy say he wants to save money from paying for a caddy and pushing his own bag.

If i won $1.2 million for winning a tournament and my caddy doesn't really do much for me i'd be more than happy to pocket the 10% and pay $200 for a pushcart, heck i's pay a kid $200 to rake my bunkers and tend the pin too

Obviously a lot of other things go into it than that but that would be my take especially if I'm a journeyman who is struggling to make cuts and what not.

Wouldn't bother me. Would take a bit to get used to but eventually would and it wouldn't matter.

I've often thought about this, and have no issue with it. While it may be "traditional" for the caddie to carry the bag, I think we can conform a bit and let them use a push cart or something to help lighten the load.

no issue with me if they used push carts.

No issue at all w push cart - but the player would have to push the cart.

No problem getting a volunteer to rake bunkers at each hole - I think that would be fun (you could leave a footprint or two in the bunker if your "least favorite" player were coming up the fairway)!

If it would speed up the game, I'd be all for it.

Caddy push carts. Volunteers raking. Interesting ideas.

No way a tour caddie would volunteer to use a push/pull cart. I'd have to think carrying the bag is a source of pride and none of them would want to be the person pushing the bag.

Plus, when you watch on TV, all the places they have to go with the bag, it just wouldn't make much sense. All the goofy paths between holes, and special staircases and bridges just for players to get from A to B. I'd think it would be a nightmare to have to try and maneuver a push cart through all of that.

Not against it, just saying no one would do it.

Use it if they allow.The caddies do most of the physical work anyway and need a break from the long grind.Never could figure out how Nick Faldo's long time caddy Fanny Sunneson did it all those years.A petite woman lugging around that staff bag on some difficult walking tracks

I wouldn't have one problem with it, and in fact I wish they would. Would speed up play I think and also help with letting caddies have a longer career without all the back problems I'm sure they have.

Without question push / pull carts should be allowed on all tours .. considering caddies carry staff bags with upwards of 50 pound it's surprising there is not a high injury rate ... it does seem they are used on the Symetra and Europeon challenge tours on a regular basis the major tours should adopt it ..

Caddies using carts: hell yes!

I draw the line at using buggies.

I say yes. Those bags are huge.

I'll be in the minority here, but I just don't see the point.

Maybe I'm to traditional but I don't want to watch a bunch if staff bags being pushed around a course. Granted the caddies do a bunch of work from day 1 at a tourney until the last putt is dropped. IMO a caddies job is to tote the bag around the course, rake bunkers, fix divots and if a player desires have input into the thought process of a shot.

Fluff is still toting a bag around the course at close to 70. If health is an issue them maybe a player could work with their sponsor for a smaller bag like a staff stand bag

I would have no problem with it. In fact I would like to see a caddy just do the basics and not be able to assist the players with any part of the game like yardages, club selection, reading greens ect..

I think we just had this thread and I hope my answer was same...

Caddy: no
Player: yes

Leave it up to players if they wanna use a caddy.

They need to let old Fluff use a push cart. That guy has to be in his late 60's right?

I'm a big fan of the caddies, plus I think a lot of them work together as a team. As far as letting the players wear shorts, I'm all for that.

Caddies using carts: hell yes!

I draw the line at using buggies.

So your'e saying they can ride in a motorized cart but they cant use a 3 or 4 wheel push cart ?? i would surely like to hear your logic to that cause to me its leaning to ilogical

i would like to give you my staff bag that weighs minimum 50 pounds & just carry it 18 holes and see if you change your mind

Ive got no problem with it. To be honest i think the staff bags should be smaller and no so heavy for those guys/girls to haul around.

It wouldn't bother me at all. Is it a question of tradition? I can't think of a negative.

Back