RatFink

Carnivore
Reaction score
Handicap
lim x-> 0
So who else dabbles with sous vide circulators or immersion chambers with the latest trend of cookware?

I got an Anova Culinary Precision Wifi circulator last fall and have been playing with it ever since - cooking steaks, roasts, ribs, carrots, beets, pork chops, chicken and eggs.

So far some experiments have come out absolutely awesomely, while others have been fairly underwhelming.

For those of you who are not familiar with sous-vide, it's a technique of cooking "under vacuum" where you seal your meat or vegetables in a vacuum (in a bag) and submerge it in a controlled temperature water bath so that it never over cooks, and then you finish with a sear. The advantage is that you can always have the same consistent results, and you can control the amount of moisture loss in each item since it can't evaporate anywhere.

Here's an example of a sirloin cap wagyu roast I did earlier this year that shows how there is no over cooking gradient on the meat: http://imgur.com/a/ANBq6

Looking forward to hearing about what you guys have done!

I've been doing sous vide for about 6 years now. Love it. My preferred cut is tritip done for 32 to 36 hours at 133 F.

I went through 3 home made cookers before purchasing the original anova.

Love my anova. It's on sale right now for $50 off if any one is interested in getting into sous vide. I love it, easily the best gadget in my kitchen. This got us cooking pork chop again. and thick cut steaks? it's a must. Definitely a life changer.

My favorite dish to make right now is lobster risotto. The cook time organizing is perfect, and the end result is just phenomenal, I could eat it for days.

I can do it in my hot liquor tank in my brewery but never tried it. One of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which model do you guys recommend?

Just an example. Prefect poached egg with ribeye steak.

6807f17074506cecacc09ae9855f8ee5.jpg

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

mushroom risotto with thick cut beef tenderloin.

d20db799653c928b5d737a95103b40a6.jpg

Could you post the lobster risotto recipe using sous-vide??
Love my anova. It's on sale right now for $50 off if any one is interested in getting into sous vide. I love it, easily the best gadget in my kitchen. This got us cooking pork chop again. and thick cut steaks? it's a must. Definitely a life changer.

My favorite dish to make right now is lobster risotto. The cook time organizing is perfect, and the end result is just phenomenal, I could eat it for days.

As a rule, how long and at what temperature are you guys sous-vide'ing your steaks?

132 degrees at 45 minutes. If you keep it at 130 you can cook it for hours and it'll still be medium.

The lobster risotto is pretty simple, just put the lobster and the shell separated but in the same bag, put it in with butter and some seasoning at 134 degrees for an hour.

Mean while start cooking your risotto and make sure you use quality stock and not water. I use homemade chicken stock. (I suggest looking up a risotto guide if you're unsure what doness you are looking for)

Once your risotto is about done throw in the juices from the lobster and simmer a while longer, when you're ready to serve you can quickly saute the lobster if you want a little more bite (I leave it as is, buttery soft) chop it up and eat away!

Wanna get fancy? Add some porcini mushroom to it....Now I'm hungry

132 degrees at 45 minutes. If you keep it at 130 you can cook it for hours and it'll still be medium.

The lobster risotto is pretty simple, just put the lobster and the shell separated but in the same bag, put it in with butter and some seasoning at 134 degrees for an hour.

Mean while start cooking your risotto and make sure you use quality stock and not water. I use homemade chicken stock. (I suggest looking up a risotto guide if you're unsure what doness you are looking for)

Once your risotto is about done throw in the juices from the lobster and simmer a while longer, when you're ready to serve you can quickly saute the lobster if you want a little more bite (I leave it as is, buttery soft) chop it up and eat away!

Wanna get fancy? Add some porcini mushroom to it....Now I'm hungry

after our recent trip to Italy, I learned that my definition of done for risotto is way more done than the Italian definition of risotto done. I cook my risotto to a creamy texture; theirs still has the slightest crunch to it.

As a rule, how long and at what temperature are you guys sous-vide'ing your steaks?
Temperature is whatever doneness you want. If it's there long enough it will reach your cooking bath temp which is what sous vide is all about. The longer it's in there the more the collagen breaks down making it more tender. However too long and it becomes mush. Ive never had that happen though. Depending on thickness i would say min 1 hour up to 4 for a steak. A roast or tougher cut I've done up to 40 hours. The longer you cook the less seasoning you need. For temp I usually do 132 -135.

I prefer doing the cheaper thicker cuts to really see the benefits of sous vide. Rib eyes and fillet are nice but I don't see a huge advantage over just searing on a grill. The advantage is taking a $3/lb tri-tip and having the taste and tenderness of fillet.

after our recent trip to Italy, I learned that my definition of done for risotto is way more done than the Italian definition of risotto done. I cook my risotto to a creamy texture; theirs still has the slightest crunch to it.
Yep, i definitely prefer almost the consistency of sticky rice. Not really into the slight al dente texture.

My issue is with fat rendering - I did a set of wagyu rib eyes for 90mins back in December at 129 and they were pretty good, but can't help but think the fat would have been better on a grill (I seared on a cast iron pan after the water bath). And then the coulotte that I posted in the first post got 2.5hrs at 129 and again with the fat - I think the temperature needs to be raised to 135 or so just to have the fat render that little bit extra.

Temperature is whatever doneness you want. If it's there long enough it will reach your cooking bath temp which is what sous vide is all about. The longer it's in there the more the collagen breaks down making it more tender. However too long and it becomes mush. Ive never had that happen though. Depending on thickness i would say min 1 hour up to 4 for a steak. A roast or tougher cut I've done up to 40 hours. The longer you cook the less seasoning you need. For temp I usually do 132 -135.

I prefer doing the cheaper thicker cuts to really see the benefits of sous vide. Rib eyes and fillet are nice but I don't see a huge advantage over just searing on a grill. The advantage is taking a $3/lb tri-tip and having the taste and tenderness of fillet.

My weekend's experiment: Blade Roast - 2 ways.

I came across blade roasts in the store for $3/lbs which is rare with the way beef prices have been going lately so I picked up a healthy 7lbs roast that had a nice bit of marbling and decided to play.

I cut it in half and tossed one half in the oven w/ potatoes and onions and carrots - very rustic and homestyle. Baked it for 3hrs at 275F and it came out just as expected - tender, fairly moist and of course, well done. This is pure comfort food in my mind, reminiscent of a nice stew on a cold winter's night.
For the other half, I tossed it in the sous vide for 30hrs at 135F to see if all the rumours were true about how cheap cuts of meat (with proper marbling) can be turned into something amazing through the magic of time and low temperature.
Just for note: both meats were seasoned identically - salt & pepper, slices of garlic, worcestershire sauce.
Now in terms of results, the sous vide really surprised me - it was just as tender and succulent as a standard prime rib that retails for more like $8/lbs on a good day! In terms of flavour, it had just as much rich marbling in places as a prime rib cap so that was very cool. Hilariously, near the edge where the seasoning had been rubbed on, it was actually reminiscent of corned beef due to the time exposed to the pepper and other ingredients in the worcestershire sauce.
Texturally, the sous vided meat won hands down, you could actually pull it apart with your fork, or if need be, cut it with a butter knife, whereas the oven roast required a bit of sawing.
Overall, I'm very impressed and will certainly be experimenting more often with cheap cuts of meat!

Cooking up some pork tenderloin tonight

bc8734b46c04b538e214ff5ed8eb9303.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

Need a review afterwards.

So was this the gift to ask for this year? I haven't seen anything suis veide forever and then this year since Christmas I've seen about 20 pics of people cooking with them.

So was this the gift to ask for this year? I haven't seen anything suis veide forever and then this year since Christmas I've seen about 20 pics of people cooking with them.

Been pretty popular with the tech crowd for maybe a year or so as these devices have been coming out. But seemed like a pretty popular gift this year.

Been pretty popular with the tech crowd for maybe a year or so as these devices have been coming out. But seemed like a pretty popular gift this year.

Thanks. That makes sense. The only people I've ever known that knows anything about it is major foodies and beer brewers with electric kettles. Seeing the pics on FB literally went from 0 since being on FB to 15-20 after Christmas.

I saw this thread and started doing some research I added it to our registry but no one picked it up so my wife got it for me. It is definitely getting more mainstream.

I almost bought one off woot a while ago, wish I had. Have an old electric kettle I don't use anymore, but sold the PID so would have to build a new controller...

Back