The Official 2019 MLB Thread

Astros have had plenty of chances tonight but just can’t get that hit with runners on. Bregman needs to wake the eff up.

Leaving 12 on base isn't the recipe for success. I think it's time to sit Alvarez. The kid is spooked and needs to sit. With that said, I've seen this one before. Drop game one and pick up game two, but going to Washington for 3 straight isnt ideal.

Have to win tonight and then deal with the road trip. I have faith in this team.

Leaving 12 on base isn't the recipe for success. I think it's time to sit Alvarez. The kid is spooked and needs to sit. With that said, I've seen this one before. Drop game one and pick up game two, but going to Washington for 3 straight isnt ideal.

Have to win tonight and then deal with the road trip. I have faith in this team.

I was thinking the same about Alvarez but he actually hit the ball last night. Hoping he wakes up a bit. That was a game they were supposed to win. Cole hadn't been lit up like that since May and Scherzer was clearly fighting it.

Don’t think the Astros expected to trail in a game with Cole pitching. Also, don’t think they expected to be behind with Scherzer out after 5 innings.

I was thinking the same about Alvarez but he actually hit the ball last night. Hoping he wakes up a bit. That was a game they were supposed to win. Cole hadn't been lit up like that since May and Scherzer was clearly fighting it.

he's still not seeing the pitches. That bases loaded at bat he had a couple of pitches that I thought could have been put in play and he just looked at them. Maybe he was expecting a certain pitch there and didn't get it, but it seemed like he could have gotten a bat on those.

I think this team needs to get hits and not live and die with the homerun. They are swinging hard at pitches they like instead of getting a hit, moving the runner over and scoring a couple of runs. I know that is "small ball" and the NL way of doing things, but when you have that many guys on base you have to get the home and manufacture some runs.

he's still not seeing the pitches. That bases loaded at bat he had a couple of pitches that I thought could have been put in play and he just looked at them. Maybe he was expecting a certain pitch there and didn't get it, but it seemed like he could have gotten a bat on those.

I think this team needs to get hits and not live and die with the homerun. They are swinging hard at pitches they like instead of getting a hit, moving the runner over and scoring a couple of runs. I know that is "small ball" and the NL way of doing things, but when you have that many guys on base you have to get the home and manufacture some runs.
I definitely agree and the attempt with Muldonado bunting last night was atrocious. Bregman also needs to get his act together, he didn't do much against the yankees and he seems off too. Tonight is a HUGE game now.

Weird game last night. Cole and Scherzer won’t pitch like that again.

This is what I said about my Dodgers when they lost to your Astros two years ago. It’s a tough spot to be in - you don’t want to change what has worked all year, much less do it in the WS.

Nationals are cooking early. 4-pitch walk to Turner, followed by a single from Eaton.

Verlander in the first inning has turned into Clayton Kershaw.

Edit- long double off the wall by Rendon scores 2.

Not looking good for the Astros already. 2 runs in and no outs off Verlander.

Good job by Verlander limiting the damage in the top of the 1st.

A Bregman bomb ties it at 2 in the 1st

Soto is pretty annoying. He reminds me of Puig. Cocky and quirky.

Pitching has taken over after offensive fireworks in the 1st

Big HR from Suzuki. Verlander is out in the 7th. Washington leading 3-2 and looking to expand the lead.

Couple big 2 out hits for Washington

I am legit shocked by this. I figured 4-0 or maybe 4-1 Astros with the Nats winning a Scherzer game. Wow.

This got out of hand quickly

Tough inning in the field for Bregman.

Interesting bench celebration there after Eaton’s HR. Who would have thought Houston could find itself down 2-0 with games started by Cole and Verlander.

Verlander, a likely HOF, is now 0-5 in the World Series. It’s his 4th WS and he has never won a game.

Well....that escalated quickly. :oops:

Definitely not the start to the series I expected or was hoping for. That being said I don't think it's over just yet. Astros should have the advantage in game 3 with Greinke and if Game 4 is still a bullpen game who knows. I think if they can get back to Houston down 3-2 Verlander will win his first ever WS game and take it to game 7.

As Jim Lovell famously said during the voyage of Apollo 13: "Houston we have a problem". Series is obviously not over but no one really had thought Washington would be up 2-0 with wins over Cole and Verlander. Now the scene shifts to DC for the first WS game there since 1933 series where the New York Giants defeated the Washington Senators (currently the Twins). I know teams have lost first two at home and still won series but that is a tall order.

Well....that escalated quickly. :oops:

Definitely not the start to the series I expected or was hoping for. That being said I don't think it's over just yet. Astros should have the advantage in game 3 with Greinke and if Game 4 is still a bullpen game who knows. I think if they can get back to Houston down 3-2 Verlander will win his first ever WS game and take it to game 7.

Washington is going to be able to pitch Corbin and Sanchez against Greinke and a likely opener. Greinke hasn't exactly pitched well in the post season and Sanchez nearly no hit the Cards in the NLCS. Houston has to hope they can extend the series to get to Cole and Verlander.

Washington is going to be able to pitch Corbin and Sanchez against Greinke and a likely opener. Greinke hasn't exactly pitched well in the post season and Sanchez nearly no hit the Cards in the NLCS. Houston has to hope they can extend the series to get to Cole and Verlander.

Neither Corbin or Sanchez concern me regardless of what happened earlier in the post season. Astros need to dig deep no doubt it and it might take someone other than a star to step up. Game 3 and 4 are gettable in my opinion then who knows. Obviously if they lose game 3 its lights out. I guess I'm just hoping for more baseball haha

Neither Corbin or Sanchez concern me regardless of what happened earlier in the post season. Astros need to dig deep no doubt it and it might take someone other than a star to step up. Game 3 and 4 are gettable in my opinion then who knows. Obviously if they lose game 3 its lights out. I guess I'm just hoping for more baseball haha

I don't have a horse in the race so to speak. I'm a long time SF Giants fan going back to the late 60s (was a huge Willie Mays fan). I too am hoping for more baseball and a game 7.

Back