PING Sigma 2 Putters Bring Adjustability

I’ll tag the beginning of each of my posts with the putter version since we are all testing different models.

I just added a line to my signature.

Arna:

Another quick update on the adjustable handle. I did a few adjustments of the handle and first impressions were good. The dial system is pretty self explanatory and much better appearance wise then the original adjustable shaft they had. After a few adjustments the handle still feels firm and there doesn’t seem to be any rattling or play I could detect. Grip also appear to be aligned well. Be curious how it holds up over time bouncing around in a bag for a season.

Each full turn of the dial will move one increment on the small measuring marks on the shaft. The dial was smooth to turn and has a visible +/- directional arrow

Arna: After a few adjustments the handle still feels firm and there doesn’t seem to be any rattling or play I could detect. Grip also appear to be aligned well. Be curious how it holds up over time bouncing around in a bag for a season.

My guess would be pretty well, but time will tell. One thing I noticed regarding the stability of the adjustable handle is that there is a small o-ring or platinum insert between the shaft and the bottom of the grip. That seems to be the main component to adding that firmness between the handle and the shaft while still allowing linear movement to adjust the shaft. It’s a really simple but effective solution.

Spoiler alert: I’m really liking this putter. Just dropped a 23 footer. The roll is unbelievable.

I’ll post a more detailed review after my round, but through 7, I’m starting to get dialed in and am liking what I see from the technical aspects of this putter.

Arna:

Another quick update on the adjustable handle. I did a few adjustments of the handle and first impressions were good. The dial system is pretty self explanatory and much better appearance wise then the original adjustable shaft they had. After a few adjustments the handle still feels firm and there doesn’t seem to be any rattling or play I could detect. Grip also appear to be aligned well. Be curious how it holds up over time bouncing around in a bag for a season.

Each full turn of the dial will move one increment on the small measuring marks on the shaft. The dial was smooth to turn and has a visible +/- directional arrow

Looking forward to your thoughts on the ARNA. I bought it last week while at GG. I test rolled all the Sigmas, I just really seemed to roll the ARNA the best. Such a neat feel for a putter. This is my first Ping putter and I am really liking the consistent roll.

The Anser arrived today and it looks great!! First impressions of the color scheme is that I would have gravitated towards this right away in a PGA store: love the blue, black and silver from the grip to the putter face.
The weight of the putter was surprisingly “heavy” in a good way. Not sure why I thought this would feel lighter than it was but I like it!
The putter cover is very well made and it would be a keeper but I’ve got a certain THP cover that will work well !!
I read the directions for the adjustable component of the shaft and it was very easy to use. It does not feel like the grip will slide down in any way after I set it to a comfortable 35”.
I’ll take it to my local course tomorrow and use it on the putting green for a bit and post some findings. Very excited to put this to the test!!
94f9ba4e0e5c3c010d8211dc872da110.jpg
7ad82088463da70e0e9b8d478869be69.jpg
4ea2409f2291ef096550a6a5bbe621e5.jpg
816089db5e87c8416ffaece80312b421.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pumped that everyone is in and rolling (pun intended!) now, we should have a lot of fun with this one! I’ll actually have another update on the ZB 2 later today!

Can’t wait to start posting on my testing. The Fetch was supposed to arrive yesterday, but looks like I have to wait till Monday now.

Pretty cold and windy outdoors here so I took the Anser to the PGA Superstore at 11:00am this morning. I asked them if it was cool to bring it in and test it for the review. They said no problem. It was real slow in there for a Sunday so I had the putting green pretty much to myself.

They use Callaway Chrome Soft on their greens and this is typically what I play. I lined up 5 from 5 feet out and made 4. I did it a second time and made 4 from a different location.
I took the same 5 and moved 10 feet away. This green is slick so you don’t need to put much force on it. 3 moved right a bit less than 6 inches from the cup. I payed close attention to arm movement and sank the next and the 5th moved slightly left off the cup.
I still had a lot of freedom out there so I was able to move to 15 feet twice and around 20 feet once with the same 5 balls. It took 2 balls moving to the right about a foot past the cup for me to dial it in. 3 of 10 went in, the rest were a bit right or left within 6-12 inches. I took a stray ball and put a bit more force in it and it went by the cup by about 2 feet. From the 30 foot distance, I made one and one short, the other 3 stayed a bit right within a foot.
I was able to hit three from across the green to the last cup to about 35 feet. One a bit left but left it within 2 feet. One actually rolled to the lip and the last one I was able to clip the second in the cup. It started getting crowded so that was it. About less than 30 min of time on an indoor green.
I liked the feel of the grip and it did not seem uncomfortable at all. I have my left index finger down on the grip to lock in my hands somewhat. I was trying to keep very good form so that the putter would move straight. I love the feel of this grip and the colors look great so there’s no way I would change this out.
The ball was in control every time off the face. The feel on impact is not what I’m used to: it’s like the face had give in it and it absorbed the impact kind of giving it a push towards the cup rather than feeling and hearing a click of the ball on metal. It was easier to dial in a controlled putt from all distances, especially on the 5 footers. When I needed to adjust to stop moving right, I was confident that the putter would work with me. The weight of the putter was an advantage for me, anything lighter would not have felt right. I haven’t use the blade style in a while and it was a welcome change. I’m eager to see what it can do for me this Wednesday when I’m playing 18. The greens are long and challenging so this should be fun!

Interesting grip info: The guy I know at this PGA saw what I was doing and I told him about the review. I said that I really liked the grip and he said he liked the adjustable height. He took the grip off for a customer who swore by SuperStroke and he said its a plastic tube inside so any grip except for a large FatCat would work in this putter but he said he’d personally stay with the grip. He also said he loved the putter face on this model: it gave it more control of putts. I told him I had just finished and thought the same.

Last edited:
Ok, so I got the Wolverine out for some rolls in the condo we're staying at here in Branson. First impression after rolling a few, the carpet breaks hard right in one spot, but just 2-3" left of that, it'll break left first, then back to the right just before the chair leg.

Anyway, on to the putter...

Feel: I like the feel of the insert. I could get used to it. Seems very consistent no matter where I hit it on the face... and, trust me, I hit them all over the face.

Length (adjustability): as mentioned above, adjusting this thing is "stupid simple". Some would call it "Army proof". :clown: I have mine set on 32.25" now. Tried it first at the stock 35", then moved it down to 32" and rolled a few. Dialed it up a notch from the 32" and it feel right now. So much so that I might shorten my gamer.

On course (at least the practice green) review will happen tomorrow.

My only complaint so far (and this is a personal thing), this thing is a bit light for my taste. Even at 370g headweight, it feels like a feather in my hands. That's to be expected, though, since I play a ~550g headweight normally. I should note, my wife (who rarely plays, but knows the feel of a putter) said it felt heavy so I know the "heavy" head is noticeable to those who don't putt with a sledgehammer.

Last edited:
... and some pics.
82f6f9a703c474651029723409e1baab.jpg
5484f812b6580a99c9bb2ef4cf88adae.jpg
9b3b53ebb0de5bb258a131a05ec6596d.jpg
ffa2cbf78aa703edb4638ba886734b38.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The wolverine does look nice :)

I just want to see Westwood use the fetch one time to pick the ball up out of the hole with it. Preferably at a big time event haha.

Arna:

Got another bit of testing in tonight and I am getting used to the new insert design. It’s definitely different. So far, I feel that It’s really hard to leave a ball short with this insert. I had to almost intentionally try to leave it short, the ball comes off the face really well even on the slight mis-hits. So far only been able to roll it inside on an 8ft mat, so I’ll see how that holds up once I am able to get to a larger putting surface.

It doesn’t feel rubbery at all, but the energy transfer to the ball is pretty noticeable. Still real happy with the sound of the putter as well.

Will get some more testing in with various balls and distances over the holiday break. Also having some my regular golfing group over and will get their feedback as well. One plays a Scotty GoLo and the other an old Ping craz-e.

OGputtnfool let me roll his Wolverine on the practice green when we met for a round at Ledgestone today. The adjustment mechanism is really neat but I was most impressed with how consistent the roll was. Consistent roll is my kryptonite but I'd try one putt each at holes of different lengths and slopes and time after time I was seeing real nice roll whether I was going for 10 feet or 60, uphill, sidehill, or downhill. Very forgiving and a similar very slight toe hang as my O-Works 7s so it was easy from the first stroke. I enjoyed the Sigma 2 Wolverine so much that I our tee time crept up on us and I failed to even hit a single practice putt with my own putter.

Last edited:
Wolverine looks solid.
The adjustability seems pretty simplistic and a vast improvement over their past adjustable putter models.

Keep up the good work fellas!

Using the Kushin C reminds me of an old saying a friend of my dad used to say, “use the right tool to do the right job.” I played 18 last Saturday and 36 last Sunday. Add in some practice green time before 2 of those rounds and I have taken around 150 strokes with this putter and now feel comfortable with giving it a fair assessment so far.

The focus feature of the Sigma 2 is the adjustable length grip system which is well designed and ridiculously easy to use. Frankly, it’s difficult to come up with any improvement suggestions to the adjustability. The screw driven system has the right amount of tension when adjusting up and down, and the grip itself has a small bushing in the shaft end which adds stability at the most vulnerable point of the system. Although I was initially concerned about having flex between the two components, the shaft has felt solid and indistinguishable from a traditional fixed length shaft when playing.

But as fun as the adjustable length is to tinker with, the real star of this putter is the dual-durometer face. In some ways, it’s a shame that the focus of the Sigma 2 line is adjustability because the performance of the soft feel of the face should be the reason you give this putter a try. The design creates an effortless tight roll that allows for touch when within you are trying to control pace within 6 feet, while also providing enough backbone to allow an aggressive roll when you find yourself trying to burry that 25 footer to impress your friends.

While I am a high handicap, putting is by far the most consistent and productive part of my game. I found that this putter, more than any putter I have owned, stays true to the strike you make. If you hit the ball off center, you are not going to be rewarded. But, what I did find is that the off center strikes still carried similar speed to a well struck ball, just at an inside or outside line. This is important for the simple reason that it tightens your putt dispersion around the cup. For example, on my O-Works 1W, I tend to push a lot of putts, causing me to have to hit a comeback that is both long and wide. With this putter, I found that my putts usually ended up with the correct distance but wide to one side, leaving a much more manageable come back and quite a few more tap-ins.

What makes the Kushin C unique in the Sigma 2 line is it’s center shaft. I was concerned that the center shaft placement would visually interfere with the ball strike point of impact, but I found the shaft to have enough offset back from the face to be out of the way through the stroke. Visually, the head looks balanced on the shaft, which really allows me to focus on making clean and consistent contact. Think of it like trying to hit a pool cue ball, but from the top. Visually you are trying to center the entire shaft, as opposed to a thin line on the body of the putter.

Who should try the center shafted Kushin C: Players who have very little arch or rotation in their putting stroke; players who prefer to have a balanced visual line from arms to ball; players who like a little bit more speed forgiveness than a blade offers but without the visual mass that typically comes with mallet style putters.

Who may not like the Kushin C: players with a lot of club face rotation, as opposed to a “pendulum” style swing; players who like a visually clear point of impact as opposed to having a mark or line to guide the strike point, players who like the mass that mallet putters offer to create ball momentum with an easier stroke.

The combination of the adjustment and the soft feel of the face allows you to really dial in this putter to your stroke and more importantly, to your size. A proper fitting putter allows you to bring you visual line directly above the ball, which for me has really helped quell my push tendencies. Being able to adjust the putter length by fractional inches on the fly really allows you to dial in to where you feel most comfortable and are most consistent, giving you confidence that just about every putt has a chance to find the bottom of the cup.

More to follow soon as I continue to take this putter though its paces.

More time on the course yesterday, and some more thoughts on the overall package with the ZB2.

Though I still think the Kushin C would be the ticket for me with one of these longer term, the ZB and that flow neck has been a lot of fun. I mentioned on both Twitter and Insta yesterday that its pure and classic PING from the back, but with a ton of tech under the hood (the face) and I think its honestly the best blend of that they have had.

I do think that the feel across the face is a bit muddied, meaning its not a ton of differentiation on misses, but there is SOME. Honestly, its to be expected in an insert IMO. I particularly like the slight firmness to it though, no springiness and no dead/dense feeling, its a solid in-between and honestly exactly the feel/sound I always wanted out of the Spider when I was gaming it, PING is rocking it in the insert tech now.

The roll is still taking me aback in how QUICK it is and how much pace it starts with and maintains, I'm not sure I have left a single putt short so far and if anything I'm leaving more than I would like TOO far past the hole because its such a more energy/inertia effective roll compared to my SeeMore's. This, is a good thing IMO, because most inserts lead tot he feeling of having to be more firm with the putts for me, but this is the opposite of that.

Loving the feedback in here so far and @BigDill that was a great update. Keep them coming everyone!

More time on the course yesterday, and some more thoughts on the overall package with the ZB2.

Though I still think the Kushin C would be the ticket for me with one of these longer term, the ZB and that flow neck has been a lot of fun. I mentioned on both Twitter and Insta yesterday that its pure and classic PING from the back, but with a ton of tech under the hood (the face) and I think its honestly the best blend of that they have had.

I do think that the feel across the face is a bit muddied, meaning its not a ton of differentiation on misses, but there is SOME. Honestly, its to be expected in an insert IMO. I particularly like the slight firmness to it though, no springiness and no dead/dense feeling, its a solid in-between and honestly exactly the feel/sound I always wanted out of the Spider when I was gaming it, PING is rocking it in the insert tech now.

The roll is still taking me aback in how QUICK it is and how much pace it starts with and maintains, I'm not sure I have left a single putt short so far and if anything I'm leaving more than I would like TOO far past the hole because its such a more energy/inertia effective roll compared to my SeeMore's. This, is a good thing IMO, because most inserts lead tot he feeling of having to be more firm with the putts for me, but this is the opposite of that.

Loving the feedback in here so far and @BigDill that was a great update. Keep them coming everyone!

Interesting about your thoughts on the Feedback. I wonder if I feel like I get a good amount of feedback from the fetch due to its insert/hitting area is smaller? Not saying I hit off the insert on Miss hits but I wonder it being shorter from heel to toe if that makes it a lot easier for me to feel that feedback.

Good thoughts jman

I was very excited to see the Ping Sigma 2 Fetch was delivered last night.

I will begin testing tomorrow, but I want to include the pictures, as the Fetch putter head is unique with the hole in the middle.

I will put the name of the putter at the top of all my reviews going forward, so it will be easier for others when scrolling.

Fetch

The putter head with its unique ball grabbing system.

3482b1b8de861ba33b857c00b4a7682d.jpg

499a1a88b240c4cd3a05d623093d343e.jpg

224154b7a32d3be35e4931dd41b9ede0.jpg

The ball is VERY easy to grab on the floor. I will test this feature on the green and out of the cup. I am a bit concerned if the head will damage the cup when grabbing the ball without bending down. Something that will be important to me if I were to use on the course.
b3b14e8141073d22f8092771e88b476d.jpg

The putter grip is the PP60 Ping pistol grip. The same as in the earlier reviews. I understand there are two other options. A PP61 and a PP62. The 62 being the fattest

One thing to note, with the adjustability built in the grip, you will not have an option to install a counterweight system. My current EXO Indy has a 75g counterweight, witch I love when putting.

Also, I use the Arccos 360 sensors. Another item that will not simply screw in the top of the grip with the adjustability system in place. As I said, I have a counterweight in my EXO Indy, so I have cut down the screw and used duck tape to fasten the sensor to the top of the grip. I expect you can do the same here.

d442f2e251d367319eec2786ce1e9fb7.jpg

Adjustability is incredibly easy and well worth it if you don’t know your exact settings.

You simply plug the adjuster screw into the top of the putter and turn as stated. Every full turn is 1/4 inch in either direction. Now you can have that exact length you want. Want 34.5 inches? No problem.

168ab52fb4a2a7a04c772a5943029b78.jpg

b49cd5e023af0ac14280368ed55eab5e.jpg

Face-balance. The Fetch has full face-balance.

774b2b3ce12f2fb1c8d159bd7a1eb369.jpg

Putter Face. The putter face is beautiful, but seems small. I love the colors of the two inserts and can’t wait to try putting. With that said, the face measures in at 2 1/4” where as my EXO Indy measures at 3 1/4”. A full inch longer.

I wonder how that will play in my striking.

75a01487fc63701e48f7c820d73ed651.jpg

Finally, the head cover is of a very good quality product. Very soft, but well made with the Ping logo embroidered on top and side. I also prefer the magnetic fastener, as others have mentioned before. Top notch here.

067d5b3aa40151632508f03b5b46f35c.jpg

2745b2b40ab614e8b435b7586f418ba3.jpg

All in all, the putter looks like a great quality product and well built.

I will do a comparison of this putter with my current gamer and by itself. Can’t wait to see how this plays out over the next few months.

I’m glad people are seeing similar results as I did about the ball getting moving off the face.

I’m glad people are seeing similar results as I did about the ball getting moving off the face.

I have been really impressed with the consistency of the roll. I have dropped two 20+ foot putts so far with the Kushin C so far. I was concerned about moving from a metal faced putter to the synthetic face of the Sigma 2, fearing that it would feel like a rubber putt-putt putter, but the results have been just the opposite.

Fetch: Speed update

I have been putting the Ping Sigma 2 Fetch in my office now for the last two days. Anyone that uses a Puttout probably understands my current frustration with trying to get the ball into the hole and stay there. I feel like Happy Gilmore yelling at the ball to go into the hole.

https://youtu.be/jibfjDfbiaY

Well, besides the frustration with my Puttout, I have noticed the ball comes off very hot with this insert. I tried to putt three feet and six feet with multiple company golf balls (Callaway Chrome Soft, Callaway Supersoft, Titleist Velocity, and a Srixon Z-Star) and I find each time I need to bring my club back a shorter distance then I do with my EXO Indy. That does give a benefit of with a shorter swing the less likely I will get my club head offline.

However, so far I am not used to the quicker speed of the putts. Leaving a putt short could be a thing of the past with the Ping Fetch.

To try and do an unscientific test, I recorded in slow motion hitting the Chrome Soft with both the Fetch and my Indy. I was surprised at the results. I tried to make sure I put the ball in the same location and with the same exact swing. Of course, I am not a pro so bear in mind this was as close as I could get to being the same swing.

If you watch the video closely, you will see the ball springs off the Fletch with a very slight skip before beginning its’ roll. While the Indy Soft micro insert gets the ball rolling almost immediately and no spring.

Here are the two videos:

Ping Fetch

https://youtu.be/Zb06cqtYc4w

EXO Indy

https://youtu.be/kmb5nUPJgVU

During the holidays, while I am waiting for the weather to help out, I will attempt to hole out a six footer using my Puttout. Seems easy to most, but I have yet to get one ball to stay in the hole. Ugh. Making it a competition might be my savior. 100 putts to get ONE hole in one on the Puttout. I am guessing you all can tell my putting needs work.

Fetch: Speed update

I have been putting the Ping Sigma 2 Fetch in my office now for the last two days. Anyone that uses a Puttout probably understands my current frustration with trying to get the ball into the hole and stay there. I feel like Happy Gilmore yelling at the ball to go into the hole.

https://youtu.be/jibfjDfbiaY

Well, besides the frustration with my Puttout, I have noticed the ball comes off very hot with this insert. I tried to putt three feet and six feet with multiple company golf balls (Callaway Chrome Soft, Callaway Supersoft, Titleist Velocity, and a Srixon Z-Star) and I find each time I need to bring my club back a shorter distance then I do with my EXO Indy. That does give a benefit of with a shorter swing the less likely I will get my club head offline.

However, so far I am not used to the quicker speed of the putts. Leaving a putt short could be a thing of the past with the Ping Fetch.

To try and do an unscientific test, I recorded in slow motion hitting the Chrome Soft with both the Fetch and my Indy. I was surprised at the results. I tried to make sure I put the ball in the same location and with the same exact swing. Of course, I am not a pro so bear in mind this was as close as I could get to being the same swing.

If you watch the video closely, you will see the ball springs off the Fletch with a very slight skip before beginning its’ roll. While the Indy Soft micro insert gets the ball rolling almost immediately and no spring.

Here are the two videos:

Ping Fetch

https://youtu.be/Zb06cqtYc4w

EXO Indy

https://youtu.be/kmb5nUPJgVU

During the holidays, while I am waiting for the weather to help out, I will attempt to hole out a six footer using my Puttout. Seems easy to most, but I have yet to get one ball to stay in the hole. Ugh. Making it a competition might be my savior. 100 putts to get ONE hole in one on the Puttout. I am guessing you all can tell my putting needs work.

Very cool vids! To me it looked like rolled started relatively the same (ever so slight difference) , but the ping did look to send the ball off the face faster. Nicely done.

I played 18 today and rolled my ARNA. Very true roll and I did not leave too many short on furry greens. I drained a couple of 20 footers and was money from 5 foot. Very much a confidence builder for me. I really like this insert once I got used to the speed. Hopefully this will help shave those 3 putts down to a minimum.

@HuddieJ bought one of these in the Anser style...
His feedback was mixed... He might let me borrow it so I can give some thoughts...

Back