Collapse

Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These look very nice!! Any word on the future of the O-Works line?
    Proud to represent Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy

Comment

Like the looks of the double wide with the flow neck. Sounds like a lot of intriguing tech went into this line.
      Driver: GS53 10.5 w/ Accra TZ6
      FWs: GS53 3W & 5W w/ Helium 5F4
      Hybrid:
      VKTR 22* w/ iRoD 75
      Irons: PTx Pro 5 - PW w/ Recoil 780 ES SW
      Wedges: Equalizer 50, 54, 58 w/ Recoil 780 ES SW
      Putter: BHB03
      Ball: B330-RX / Tour B RX

Comment

Originally posted by dazeedmonds View Post
        Odyssey Stroke Lab Two Ball Fang:

The iconic Two Ball shape has been around long enough to be called “iconic” and it remains a part of the current line up, and got the Stroke Lab treatment, like most/all of the other head shapes in the Odyssey/Toulon catalog.

Stroke Lab is about balancing the weight between the grip and the head. As putter heads became more heavy, heavier grips were used to balance this weight, making much heavier putters. All this time the putter shaft never changed. The brilliant minds at Odyssey thought they could do something about that. By making a lighter, stiffer shaft they were able to get headweight stabilized and use the weight of the grip to effectively balance out that headweight to make a consistent putting stroke easier. Stroke lab is about consistent distance, as that is the area most people struggle with.

As with any new tech, two questions leap to the forefront of every internet golfer’s mind. Does it work? Perhaps more importantly (for most) Does it look good? (Loft peepers need not worry, lofts have not been jacked on these putters)

Lets tackle the second question first. Does it look good?

For me the looks of this entire line are eye-catching. In a very good way. The stark black/white contrast on the head of this putter seems to suit my eye. These are recognizable, even from a distance or in a blurry photo on social media outlets. While not everyone will love the black/yellow combination on the grip, I think it’s very well done. At address the combination graphite/steel shaft is visible, but I don’t find it distracting in any way. The White Hot microhinge insert continues the white/black theme and as a fan of visual tech in my clubs, I really like the looks of the insert itself, though I don’t see the insert at all at address or during my swing.

Performance

As I said earlier, the goal with the Stroke Lab tech was consistent distance, and to answer the question in everyone’s mind; Yes, it works. At least in my experience. After a few rounds in California and back on my home course, I’m a believer. The ease of hitting a lag put from across the green or 15’ feet out and leaving it within an easily make-able range is just silly. Like all equipment there’s nothing magical about this putter, and if you can’t hit a 3’ putt today buying one of these will not turn you into a world class putter. That being said, with a solid putting stroke as a baseline the ability to hit a consistent distance time after time after time after time is pretty spectacular. Comparing this putter to my previous (the original White Hot Two Ball) the balance of this putter is light years better. With my old putter I feel like I had to control the head constantly, almost fighting to keep it under control, with the Stroke Lab the head follows the shaft with out feeling like I have to strangle the putter to keep it under control.

Testing this on my putting mat with a Putt-Out, I saw remarkably consistent distance on my misses. Below is an image showing the distance the balls were returned from the Putt-Out. Seeing 4/4 misses within 1’ of each other is very good for me.

The White Hot microhinge insert is one of the top two feeling inserts in my book. The other one is the original white hot insert. This one is better, but it’s a close thing. This is a little more muted, and the insert gets the ball rolling more quickly it seems like.

Sound is going to determine feel, so I figured I’d shoot a little video showing the sound when hitting the ball on different parts of the face, as well as different distances. You can also see the distance consistency when hitting the ball on different parts of the face.

This line of putters is very certainly tech packed, quite literally from tip to tip. Anyone looking for a little help with their putting game should be taking a look at these. Odyssey has a full line up of putters with the Stroke Lab tech, with a head shape for everyone, so there’s no reason not to take a look at this lineup.
        Great review, hoping for this or similar in a centre shaft

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg_74 View Post
          These putters are good looking. I like the lines and the overall design concept.

For distance control on longer putts, how easy or hard was it? The White Hit insert and I havent gotten along previously as I couldnt find that sweet spot on longer putts.

Also what is the feel at impact? Is it similar to the EXO line or because its in a steel head offers a different feedback?

Tell me more about the shaft, mainly is its purpose to help stabilize the stroke or has another benefit?

Long putts are substantially easier to control for me, its an insert face, so you cant baby it of course, but the consistency Im seeing is really mind blowing.

Feel is pretty similar to EXO or the original White Hot.

The shaft is more about balance, to make it easier to control the distance.
          In My 2018 #TheGrandaddy
          Alpha Convoy cart bag:
          Driver: Epic Flash
          FW: Epic Flash 3w
          Hybrids: Big Bertha 3/4/5 Recoil ZT9 F4
          Irons: Big Bertha 5-AW Recoil ZT9 F4
          Wedges: 2019 PM Grind 54 Recoil 95 F3
          Putter: Stroke Lab 2 Ball Fang OR Stroke Lab EXO 2 Ball
          Ball: ERC Soft

Comment

Originally posted by tpluff View Post
            Oh my! I love the looks of these. Cant wait to see what models they are releasing this in. Hopeful for a smaller 7s with smaller insert.
            10 heads available 6 mallet 4 blade on the Odyssey website.

Anyone know pricepoints?

I really want/need a Stroke Lab putter.
            F9 Speedback Avalanche 10.5 Driver HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
            F9 Speedback Yellow 14.5 Fwy HZRDUS Red 75
            F9 Speedback Pink 18.5 Fwy HZRDUS Red 65
            F9 Speedback 4i Catalyst 80 6.0
            F9 Speedback Pink 5-GW Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
            King Black 52/56/60 Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

NEAD 8802 303 Stainless; Bronze Face/Bronze Stripe Rear Flange

Black Cobra Connect UTX
            Hybrid
            Truvis Shaka Ball

sigpic

Comment

I think I touched on my fitting in the Live Update thread but just to quickly rehash that. We were told to pick a putter close to what we were already using as a starting point. Even though I probably should have started with a wide flange I went with the Stroke Lab One, an Anser style blade. I did OK with it making three of 5 putts. Sean commented that I was putting the ball more off the toe as that is what looked like the center of the face looking down on it. However, the actual insert is slightly skewed toward the heal as is the alignment line on the top. It was also determined that I needed more toe hang so Luke went and got the Three. I made five of five. Then I was handed a Tuttle model which I personally do not like the looks of, and again made three of five. Maybe my bias contributed to the poor performance! LOL Back to the Three where once again it was five for five.

The whole intent of the technology, the bi-matrix shaft, back weighting, etc. is to promote a smoother tempo and as far as I can tell it hits the target. At The Hideaway I putted as well as I ever have, from what I recall missing only one putt inside six (6) feet. That putting success has continued over to my rounds here at home. The White Hot with Microhinge insert gets the ball rolling right away with the purest of rolls. This putter just feels so different than any other putter Ive played, and Ive played a number of them in different styles, blade, small mallet, large mallet, with and without inserts and none have given me the consistency that this putter has.

The putter cover is pretty neat, too. It is a magnetic closure with two magnets embedded under the lining on each side and not just a strip around the very outside of the closure. I have much more confidence in this putter cover staying on the putter and not getting lost than those that have come with other putters. Usually I end up sewing a couple of snaps to the putter covers Ive had to ensure they dont fall off when the cart hits a bump. The color scheme and embroidery on the cover are outstanding as well.

The Stroke Lab series is/will not be the most expensive in the line of Odyssey putters. That will still fall to the Toulon models. Everyone should go to their local golf store and at least roll a few putts with a model that suits your eye just to feel how smooth and solid putting with one of these can be. Bottom line for me is, Im not a huge fan of blade/Anser style putters but unless Toulons get this Stroke Lab treatment (Portland?) I cant see anything moving this putter out of my bag!
              Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 Grandaddy with Callaway

In my Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag:

Driver: Epic Flash 10.5 (+1/D) - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
              FWs: 3W (+1/N) Epic Flash* - 5W (S/N) Epic Flash - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
              Hybrid: Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) - Recoil 760 Shaft F2
              Irons: Apex '19 5-AW - Recoil 760 Shafts F2
              Wedges: 52S* /56C MD4 / 60 PM 2.0 Grind* - all w/ Recoil 460 Shafts F2
              Putter: Stroke Lab Double Wide or Toulon Portland
              Ball: ERC Soft or Chrome Soft
              * Interchangeable - I carry 2 out of the three

Comment

Give me the marxman and I will be a happy man. This putter with the ERC SOFT ball is [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]. Will not hesitate to kick whatever I had in the bag out, its that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testing Project X Catalyst 100g 6.0 shafts - Thank you THP/PX Crew

Proud Supporter & Captain of Team So. Cal. in the 2017 THP Regional Rivalry - So. Cal vs Nor. Cal.

Participant 2016
                Championship - TPC Las Vegas!
                Proud Winner of the custom testor shaft used for 2017 THCE w/ Project X
                Proud to be part of 2018 HandCrafted Experience with

sigpic

Comment

I’m generally not one that likes an insert, but I’ll definitely give this one roll at some point. If for no other reason than to check out how the shaft effects the feeling of my stroke.
                  ShaftUp #1 17 and Grand Finale participant in 2017 and 2018
                  2019 Distance Event with Golf on #TeamNoelle

Z785 9* driver
                  F85 15* 3W
                  H85 3h
                  U85 4-6i
                  Z785 7-PW
                  RTX4 50/54/58 Mid Tour Raw
                  TFI 2135 1.0

THPer formerly known as so-illhacker

Comment

Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter Thread

Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter Initial Thoughts / Review / Feedback

During the presentation about the new Stroke Lab putters, we learned a little bit about the history of putter design, especially in regards to shaft weight, head weight, grip weight, total weight, and swing weight and how these have trended over time. The smart folks at Odyssey noticed that swing weight has gotten really out of whack due to various trends and the fact that putter shafts haven't really changed, and this motivated them to take a step back and take a new approach. As a result, the Stroke Lab concept was born, which includes specific head weights, a multi-material graphite / steel shaft that is lighter than traditional shafts, and specific grip weights -- all of these designed to work together to create a specific swing weight / balance for the putter. What they told us about swing weights and what they decided to do about it makes a ton of sense, and it legitimately seems like it could help golfers putt better by improving their tempo.

The Stroke Lab putters sport a black / yellow / silver / white color combination which actually looks really great in my opinion. They also feature the White Hot Microhinge (WHM) insert, which was first introduced with the EXO line of putters. Everything about these putters screams quality, class and innovation.

During my putter fitting, I started with the Number One, which is a typical looking plumber's neck blade. The results suggested more toe hang would help, so I switched to a Number Three, which is a flow neck blade. This is the putter I ended up with and will be reviewing.

Because we use the putter more than any other club during a round of golf, this might be the most exciting change in my bag. There is no doubt a lot of room for improvement in all areas of my game, but improved accuracy and consistency with putting could be huge. When it comes to putting, I can be pretty streaky, but I average around 32 putts per round. My lowest recorded number of putts in the last few years is 27, and I've already matched that with the Stroke Lab Number Three. Saying this putter has me excited is an understatement.

Coming from an O-Works #1, I was already very familiar with the Microhinge insert. I love the roll that both Microhinge inserts imparts on the ball. There are times where I feel I get a couple more rolls than I expected, which is almost always to my benefit. Most of you probably already know the WHM insert was designed to be a couple decibels louder than the original Microhinge based on feedback Odyssey received from players. In my experience, there is definitely firmer feedback from the WHM insert, and golfers who dislike Microhinge for being too soft should not assume WHM is the same if they have interest in these new putters (or the EXO line).

This line of putters really could be a game changer for many players, from amateurs to pros.

More info: https://blog.odysseygolf.com/strokelab/

The #SweaterWar got me into The 2018 Grandaddy!!!

#100Birdies10kLaughs #TheGrandaddy

Driver: Epic Flash 10.5* w/ EF Green 55 S flex
                    3-wood:
                    Epic Flash w/ EF Green 65 S flex
                    Hybrids / Irons:
                    Apex 19
                    3h/4h w/ Catalyst 70 S flex and 5i-AW w/ Catalyst 80 S flex graphite
                    Wedges:
                    54* MD4, 58* PM Grind 2.0
                    Putter:
                    Stroke Lab Three
                    Ball: Chrome Soft Truvis (y&b)

Comment

Originally posted by OITW View Post
                      10 heads available 6 mallet 4 blade on the Odyssey website.

Anyone know pricepoints?

I really want/need a Stroke Lab putter.
                      I didn't even think to go there. Silly me.

I saw what I needed to see. Now just hope they have a solid top line version.
                      GBB Epic Sub Zero 9 ​UST Mamiya HeLIUM Prototype
                      Rogue Sub Zero 3W (15) Project X Even Flow Blue
                      BBA 815 3H (19) Fujikura Speeder 865
                      JPX 919 Forged 4-GW ​True Temper DG 120 TI [Thanks to Ultimate Weekend!]
                      Mack Daddy 4 54 X / MD3 Milled 58 W True Temper DGTI 120 / Onyx Wedge
                      O-Works #7s Black
                      Chrome Soft X

Proud #DreamTeam #TheGrandaddy alum thanks to & !

Comment

Originally posted by tpluff View Post
                        I didn't even think to go there. Silly me.

I saw what I needed to see. Now just hope they have a solid top line version.
                        These putters are the real deal dude
                        F9 Speedback Avalanche 10.5 Driver HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
                        F9 Speedback Yellow 14.5 Fwy HZRDUS Red 75
                        F9 Speedback Pink 18.5 Fwy HZRDUS Red 65
                        F9 Speedback 4i Catalyst 80 6.0
                        F9 Speedback Pink 5-GW Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
                        King Black 52/56/60 Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

NEAD 8802 303 Stainless; Bronze Face/Bronze Stripe Rear Flange

Black Cobra Connect UTX
                        Hybrid
                        Truvis Shaka Ball

sigpic

Comment

That double wide looks awesome
                          Under custom EPIC 13.5*/MASTERS Themed Elements Gold 6F4
                          Epic 4-SW/LZ 6.0
                          MD4 Black 60* X-grind/DG Tour Issue (Red)
                          'Sure Out 2 64*/
                          Stroke Lab Marxman S
                          All inC130 Cart Edition

Comment

Only 2 clubs in my bag that I was 100% happy with were my putter and my PM Grind 58*.... Callaway killed that as I love the look of the Stroke Lab Tuttle and knowing there is a new PM Grind...
                            Epic Flash SZ 9* D/S ADDI 65 SR
                            Epic Flash SZ 13.5/18*Rogue Elite Blue 65R
                            Rogue 21* VA Composite 85R Slay
                            Epic 23* D/+2 ADDI 85 S
                            P790 6-AW LZ 5.0
                            52* LZ 5.5
                            Pm Grind 19 58* Hi Rev 2.0 115
                            Stroke Lab EXO 7 mini
                            Duo Professional Matte Orange

Comment

Originally posted by dazeedmonds View Post
                              Long putts are substantially easier to control for me, its an insert face, so you cant baby it of course, but the consistency Im seeing is really mind blowing.

Feel is pretty similar to EXO or the original White Hot.

The shaft is more about balance, to make it easier to control the distance.
                              Thanks. This definitely one Im going to have to take my time with and make sure it fits me. I love the looks and tech, but if longer putts are still an issue for me, then Ill have to admire from the sidelines.
                              In My #TheGrandaddy 2.0 Team Redemption Bag

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 | UST Elements Chrome F4
                              Callaway Epic Flash 3+ 15.5 | Project X Even Flow Green 6.0
                              Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood 20 | Project X Even Flow Green 6.0
                              Callaway CF-19 Apex Smoke Combo 5-AW | TT Elevate Tour Black S
                              Callaway PM Grind 19 Tour Grey 54/14 | 58/12 | TT Elevate Tour Black S
                              Toulon Stroke Lab Las Vegas | Chrome Soft **

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg_74 View Post
                                Thanks. This definitely one Im going to have to take my time with and make sure it fits me. I love the looks and tech, but if longer putts are still an issue for me, then Ill have to admire from the sidelines.
                                One of the great things about stroke lab is that theyll have the options in the Toulon line too, so if the insert is a challenge for you, theres still good options available.

Give this a try though, I think youll be surprised.
                                In My 2018 #TheGrandaddy
                                Alpha Convoy cart bag:
                                Driver: Epic Flash
                                FW: Epic Flash 3w
                                Hybrids: Big Bertha 3/4/5 Recoil ZT9 F4
                                Irons: Big Bertha 5-AW Recoil ZT9 F4
                                Wedges: 2019 PM Grind 54 Recoil 95 F3
                                Putter: Stroke Lab 2 Ball Fang OR Stroke Lab EXO 2 Ball
                                Ball: ERC Soft

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X