Callaway MD4 Wedges

Throwing some pics up this morning before I head off to work and will get my thoughts posted a little later today. For a guy like me who has some difficulty with his wedge game these have performed well over the course of my Grandaddy matches and the limited usage since I've been back.

More to come..

eac47337af4d955829ac0dcc5aefc704.jpg
9c8900ad34d22bd7545d6cd1d1c7e3d6.jpg

df88fef79be3f676dd5e4e5e279a6a04.jpg

Top club is my old RTX3

Effing love the stamping/design. So so bada$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These look absolutely fantastic. Curious about the various grinds and how effectively a high capper like myself would be able to note the differences.

I need some X grind feedback!!!

First, the "G" labels are fire...excellent...

Second, I want to hit these outdoors. I gamed MD3's briefly and have gamed the MDF since the 2016 Grandaddy. These have my curiosity piqued...

Not a fan of the black finish, but the nickel, steel, silver, whatever, finish looks really good.

~Rock

Not a fan of the black finish, but the nickel, steel, silver, whatever, finish looks really good.

~Rock

Details on those finishes as well as a lot more are on the home page.

This looks like a great upgrade over the previous model. The groove technology sounds really good and based on you Grandaddy guys feedback it's evidently legit. I love that milling on the back of the head and have always liked the four ports back there also. These could be a real threat to my current wedges this year.

Callaway MD4 Wedges

So I'm going to give you "Quick Hits" on my review of the MD4 wedges - It's easier for me as I think of things.

When I was chosen for the "Golden Ticket" and I knew that I was going to the Grandaddy, one of the first things I did was put them MD2 PM wedge back into the bag.
I bought an additional PM wedge from CPO and played with two MP wedges for about a month.

In May, I was really struggling with my wedge play and while I was playing a Call Out with Ozzman, I called "My Guy" at CPO and traded in the PM wedges for two MD3.
The MD3 changed my wedge game forever, I became a good wedge player, never fearing an up and down opportunity.
I was playing a 54° and 58° with "W" grinds. 1 thing I did have to deal with is that buying from CPO - I two different shafts.

Fast forward to Dec 4th, Sitting in the Callaway Lunch Room talking to Rodger Cleveland about my wedges and that I play with Regular Flex.
He said "Most golfer play too stiff of a flex in there clubs so your a head of everyone already"
He grabs my hand to shake it and squeezed it hard and then really soft, while doing that, he said "Which shake to have a better feel with" Of course I said the soft one.
He said "Correct" so if a softer shaft gives you better feel, that is what you should play"

December 5th, At the ECPC: While I'm waiting to get fit for my clubs, I spent some time at the wedge area, I didn't want to spend too much time there and get burned out.
I tried the different sole grinds. I knew the "X" was not for me as it reminded me too much like the PM Grind - Just not for me.
I decided to stick the "W" grinds.
When I got fit for my clubs, we talked about grinds and I said "Let's stick with the "W" grind with a Regular Flex Steel shafts. It's what I know and it's what I like."

So I was fitted with KBS Tour 110 wedge shafts in Regular Flex 1/2" long and 2° upright.
HONESTLY, THESE ARE THE BEST WEDGES I HAVE EVER HAD!

I have only play a couple of rounds, however these wedges are just money.
I got a lot of compliments about my wedge play during the Grandaddy.

That extra groove came in to play on several occasions at the Hideaway.
On the last hole that we play against Luke and Velardo, I had a 50 yard shot in the rough over a sand trap to the pin.
I grabbed my 58° wedge, took a couple of practice swing, relaxed my hands, opened the face up a little bit, and hit the ball over the trap, landed on the edge of the green and roll in the hole.
It was just tremendous shot and now that I think about it, the new "W" grind really allowed that to happen.

I have been waiting for this thread to come up because as I work with this wedge in the dome, there is something so different about these wedges.
Every Chip is just so "Crisp"
When you are in the studio and the Zoo Crew it telling you about new products that are coming out in 2018, you try to retain it all and you just can't.
I know have a reminder of what is different over the MD3

So my Bullet Points:
1. The balance is just so perfect
2. The 5D or "Nip It" grove works
3. The Micro-Positive surface roughness helps with spin
4. The new "W" Grind is really versatile - For Mid Caps (I'm calling myself that now) It just works

Callaway really put some R&D into these wedges, you can tell.

2a94cc280bada9c80e69fedf5d8a9242.jpg

Last edited:
Overall shape looks great. Love all the loft/bounce/finish options. There's a lot to like here for sure!

Great pics these look great. I need a new 54 and 58*

Nothing about these wedges get me excited. Im sure they are an ok option and will be in a lot of THP bags but Ill stick with what I have or look at others.

Those are some nice looking wedges. To the guys who got fit in Carlsbad are you gaming your iron shafts in these or wedge specific shafts?

Those are some nice looking wedges. To the guys who got fit in Carlsbad are you gaming your iron shafts in these or wedge specific shafts?

Wedge Shafts in mine.

@markm778, can you elaborate more on what you didn't like about the x grind, but did like about the w grind? was it a shape issue? did the x sit differently at address than the w?

I went with the same as my iron shafts (but 6.0 instead of 6.5)

wedge shafts in mine as well.

In hindsight since I full swing them so much probably could have asked for the Steelfibers through them

Roger Cleveland (still crazy he fit me for wedges and bounce) fit me into into 46* bent to 45*, 50*, 56* bent to 55* all I’m S grind and 60* in X grind. He had me go with my same irons shaft in the 46* and 50* and S400s in my 56* and 60*.

Same shafts as my irons.

I kind of like what I am reading here about the X grind as it sounds like something I'd really get along with. I know the article on the homepage started off talking about the MD3 and how they have been in the line now for some time. Looking at that release to this one, I notice a $20 increase in price tag, that will certainly align these price wise with Vokey, and I think MD Forged comes in at that price as well. Either way, looking forward to more feedback from the grandaddy crew as there has been some good chatter already about these.

Great article JB.

I love the input from the guys that were at the Grandaddy also. I like the black finish on these wedges. These sound like great wedges and definitely something I'll look into if I'm in the market to replace my wedges.

Yeah one of my regrets from fitting day was not getting fit for the wedges and trying them out. The guys with the X grind absolutely raved about them

you know looking back, I didn't really get fit for my wedges either. I spent time in the bunker with James and Roger F'n Cleveland. He told me I had beautiful sand action, and that was all I needed. I knew I was going with a PM grind, and after taking some bunker shots with the 54 W and then some pitches, where RFC said, that looks good, I knew I was set. But I don't think I really hit any other other options, but I liked what I ended up with.

If that X Grind plays like the PM Grind in a traditional wedge shape, I will be all over it. I love my SM6 K grind, but that PM Grind was such a reliable club for me out of the sand in any condition. The more I read, I think the X Grind will be the first one I add to tinker with.

Roger Cleveland (still crazy he fit me for wedges and bounce) fit me into into 46* bent to 45*, 50*, 56* bent to 55* all I’m S grind and 60* in X grind. He had me go with my same irons shaft in the 46* and 50* and S400s in my 56* and 60*.

Still crazy to read folks stating that Roger fit them personally...let alone have it done in real life. I know he was at mistwood last year for their short game seminar with Cleveland golf...still regret not getting out there for that.

Great stuff man

Back