PING G400 Max Driver - THP Review Thread

Played a bonus round today in RI mid 40’s beautiful day and while waiting for a frost delay on a few greens to clear, grabbed 10 balls from my “hit in the woods shag bag” and I must say, this Max has really come alive for me.

I hit a few balls that made me wonder so I walked it off and here’s what showed up on one. Dead straight too.

Loving the Max now.

c422a218fdc403a96cb72a058280f841.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It makes golf WAY more fun.

I was completely out of sync on my first two drives and still hit four of seven fairways.

I've also been playing with the G400 3 wood and it may be an even better club.

I was completely out of sync on my first two drives and still hit four of seven fairways.

I've also been playing with the G400 3 wood and it may be an even better club.

Absolutely agree on the 3 wood.

Is it Spring yet?
I'm having G400 Max withdrawals...

Experimented today, dropped it down one little notch and hit about 15 drives at a local field. I think this might be it. Sets up real nice to my eye, maybe slightly open, and get a hard fade. Playing my final round of the year Saturday where it looks to be in the low 50's so we'll see on the course.

I had a good driving day today and hit 11-14 fairways. Misses where all playable.
I have went back to the stock Reg flex shaft from the stock Stiff flex shaft and it has helped. I haven't lost anything is dispersion and according to the monitor when I did my iron fitting I picked up about 3mph in swing speed.
I do need to get the shaft shortened 1 inch. I prefer to have it shortened instead of choking down.
Overall, the G400 Max is a great driver and will probably be in the bag another season.

Played 13 holes yesterday in 20 degree weather and the G400 MAX loves the cold! 6 out of 8 fairways and she just wants to track straight and tail off slightly to the left at the end (my lefty fade).

my shape with this driver has been consistently a cut. my club guy said i should play it -0.6 because of my tendency to lose the ball left. well, he hasn't played with me since i decided to see just how far ott i can make my driver swing go! i still took his advice, and the flight has been a lower cut shape. my time on a launch monitor recently proved that i have to get my launch up to maximize carry, so i bumped the sleeve to +1.0 to hopefully increase launch and maybe promote a draw shape.

i hit balls today into the wind, and just decided to swing hard and see what happened. i've never hit a ball that high, that consistently, in my life. it had to have been 30-40' higher than my 7i. i think i'll be dropping back down, maybe to neutral 10.5.

my shape with this driver has been consistently a cut. my club guy said i should play it -0.6 because of my tendency to lose the ball left. well, he hasn't played with me since i decided to see just how far ott i can make my driver swing go! i still took his advice, and the flight has been a lower cut shape. my time on a launch monitor recently proved that i have to get my launch up to maximize carry, so i bumped the sleeve to +1.0 to hopefully increase launch and maybe promote a draw shape.

i hit balls today into the wind, and just decided to swing hard and see what happened. i've never hit a ball that high, that consistently, in my life. it had to have been 30-40' higher than my 7i. i think i'll be dropping back down, maybe to neutral 10.5.

That is one thing about the Max, it launches easy. Did you play with the ball position at all? I play mine at 11* and get more than enough height and good distance.

That is one thing about the Max, it launches easy. Did you play with the ball position at all? I play mine at 11* and get more than enough height and good distance.

ball position is pretty far forward, as recommended by a fitter in the last year, year and a half. i absolutely need the launch. my problem is, my typical miss is low on the face. so when the ball will launch high to start, and i'm getting lots of spin from the bottom of the face, i get these high, spinny, short shots.

one more go on the range with this driver set to +0.6. the height is absolutely bonkers. i'm still living really low on the face, unfortunately. so i bumped it back down to -0.6, and we'll see how it does next time. the added spin is making for some pretty awesome consistency of flight, though. it's just so damn high.

I may have a heart attack if Cam Champ picks up more ball speed with the new 410... lol...

one more go on the range with this driver set to +0.6. the height is absolutely bonkers. i'm still living really low on the face, unfortunately. so i bumped it back down to -0.6, and we'll see how it does next time. the added spin is making for some pretty awesome consistency of flight, though. it's just so damn high.

Is the crazy height causing distance loss? Or is it just off because you aren't used to seeing the height that it bothers you?

Is the crazy height causing distance loss? Or is it just off because you aren't used to seeing the height that it bothers you?

can't really tell on the range. and it's been pretty windy by our standards, always into the wind on this range. so i am seeing shorter than expected distance. i suppose i should take it to the course lofted up and see what happens.

I have a new driver arriving tomorrow, I must be out of my mind to even consider putting it in the bag. I only missed 2 fairways today, and both of those where playable. The G400 Max is long, forgiving and just all around great driver.

I have a new driver arriving tomorrow, I must be out of my mind to even consider putting it in the bag. I only missed 2 fairways today, and both of those where playable. The G400 Max is long, forgiving and just all around great driver.

I hit my G400 Max with TPT Shaft against the Rogue EvenFlow Blue - liked 'em both, the Max is such a great driver, maybe a bit straighter. So the Rogue is going back to CPO - I can get credit ... and try something else.

Which begs to ask the question...WHY??

Which begs to ask the question...WHY??

Why not? I like to try things out, the Srixon has great reviews, and it will go with the 2 fairways I have.
I have 2 Srixon fairways in my bag and they are long and forgiving. They launch great and are consistent.

That and my OCD got to me so I want to try it out and compare them. Ping G400 Max vs the Srixon 785. Should be a great battle. Only problem is the weather, we are going to be COLD for at least 7-10 days so might be awhile before I get to test.

Worst case scenario is it doesn't work for me and I need to sell it.
It was a ponder but purchased at a time when I needed cheering up and probably wasn't the best decision.
Really looking forward to this test though.

Why not? I like to try things out, the Srixon has great reviews, and it will go with the 2 fairways I have.
I have 2 Srixon fairways in my bag and they are long and forgiving. They launch great and are consistent.

That and my OCD got to me so I want to try it out and compare them. Ping G400 Max vs the Srixon 785. Should be a great battle. Only problem is the weather, we are going to be COLD for at least 7-10 days so might be awhile before I get to test.

Worst case scenario is it doesn't work for me and I need to sell it.
It was a ponder but purchased at a time when I needed cheering up and probably wasn't the best decision.
Really looking forward to this test though.

You do you and don’t mind the noise.

You definitely notice a difference in forgiveness of the two (advantage Max by a good bit) but the 785 has more ball speed potential.

For me, the potential just couldn’t overtake the consistency.

You do you and don’t mind the noise.

You definitely notice a difference in forgiveness of the two (advantage Max by a good bit) but the 785 has more ball speed potential.

For me, the potential just couldn’t overtake the consistency.

When might we expect more on your experiences with the F9 vs the 400 Max? That was quite the cliffhanger comment you dangled last week given how much you like the Max.

When might we expect more on your experiences with the F9 vs the 400 Max? That was quite the cliffhanger comment you dangled last week given how much you like the Max.

Weather has necessitated the cliffhanger, sadly.

I did update the F9 thread this morning with a bit of data and thoughts though...

Weather has necessitated the cliffhanger, sadly.

I did update the F9 thread this morning with a bit of data and thoughts though...

Thanks. I'm good with my Max, but that was high praise for the F9!

Has anybody that owns the Max compare it against the G410 and if you were buying a new driver which one would you buy between the two models?

Has anybody that owns the Max compare it against the G410 and if you were buying a new driver which one would you buy between the two models?

I havent hit the 410 yet, but when I was curious a a few weeks back a google search showed a review on the webs from a guy (National Club Golfer) with a comparable SS to me (close) and heres his numbers.

Ping-G410-v-G400-Max.jpg

I did a few rounds with the Srixon 785 driver to compare to the Max. No contest really at all. The 785 is a great driver but there is not enough forgiveness to kick the Max out. Max will be in the bag for another season. Still a few drivers I would like to try, but I really think the Max is the best fit for me and my game.

Back