Ben Hogan Equalizer Wedges

Any thoughts on full shots with these? I'm thinking about replacing my 50°.

I hit full shots with ease with my 50, 54 and 58. They are a very nice shape and size. I play my 50 degree anywhere from about 108 to the low 120's.

I love my 50, didn’t have any full shots yesterday, but the 3/4 shots I did have, the club was very solid. Great feel and accurate. I used my 50 for pretty much any other shot around the green and was very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This line was extremely well received over the past few days. I know I had a conversation with Jdax and el1terate about how much each of us liked them on both full and partial swings. These might end up staying in the bag for the remainder of the year.

I have used the silver Equalizers for a full year and they have held up extremely well. The faces show a little wear but they still work like brand new. The versatility around the green is great and partial shots are a joy to hit with these. I will replace them for 2020 but they will be the exact same clubs. Most of the buzz at the Hogan event was about the woods and PTx Pro irons but these wedges are the star of the show.

I didn’t get to hit my 53, 58, or 62 with a full swing but the 48 was my go to from 95-105 out. They spin plenty and they somehow made a blade wedge that’s forgiving. I caught a couple on the toe that still went where I wanted.

Hopefully now these wedges will get reviewed more and people will really give them the proper consideration. They really are incredible wedges. I suggested these to many, many people over the past year and I don't think a single person took my suggestion and tried them. Willing to bet a lot wish they had from a performance standpoint and because they would have had more money left in their pocket.

It's early with only 2 rounds in but I'm impressed with these. They just inspire confidence, I don't think I had a mishit with a wedge all weekend. I hit a lot of full shots into the greens and these were just butter. They induce a ton of spin. On chips and flops, I didn't dig or gouge any. I was short on few shots, but that's more from not knowing distances, that will come with time.

Hopefully now these wedges will get reviewed more and people will really give them the proper consideration. They really are incredible wedges. I suggested these to many, many people over the past year and I don't think a single person took my suggestion and tried them. Willing to bet a lot wish they had from a performance standpoint and because they would have had more money left in their pocket.

These wedges really are fantastic. The turf interaction was great, and they were so easy to hit. I didn't have any issues with full shots while hitting these out of the fairway or the rough. And around the greens I really like them so far and can't wait to hit them back on greens that I know and see what they can do for me.

You better go for the pin because when the ball lands, it's gonna stop or spin back! I wasn't a dbm finish fan, but these are sexy! AND...Nippon just released the special edition Modus in black!!! You know what they say...once you go black!

You better go for the pin because when the ball lands, it's gonna stop or spin back! I wasn't a dbm finish fan, but these are sexy! AND...Nippon just released the special edition Modus in black!!! You know what they say...once you go black!

Shaft change in the near future ??? :D

Full shots with these wedges have been great so far. With the RTX3 I was having a little trouble getting the ball in the air with my setup and hit a lot of wedges on a straight line which I had no problem with and could control pretty well but when I had a mishit I had the tendency to skull it pretty far over the green. With the Equalizer wedges paired with the recoil smacwrap I'm able to get really nice height on my full shots and have taken the skull miss out completely.

My usual short game shot is, I kind of stab the wedge into the ground and play a low skidder and stop shot but that hasn't translated as quickly for me with these. I got out and hit about 100 chip shots to work on it and am finding more success with repetition.

I play a ton of golf and the 54 degree is the most used club in my bag in practice and on the course. I was excited to get the black finish (first time having it) and cant wait to see how it holds up over time. I will post some pictures throughout the process to track it.

These wedges are the legit real deal. I am in the midst of a major swing overhaul, my tee game is inconsistent and my long irons are not much better. The only part of my game that is consistently good is 100 yards and in. It is comforting to have clubs in my bag that I know are going to end up in good shape nearly every time.

At the end of my last lesson I was gassed. My driver was all over the place and I needed something good to go home with. I grabbed my 60* Equalizer and started hitting a 75 yard knockdown shot. I do not use this shot on the course but that is going to change. The trackman session looked like something I would see here on the forum from a better golfer. Nice straight shots with almost no left or right misses and very good yardage control.

I was having a bad golf day and the Equalizers pulled me right out of my funk. On the golf course they do the exact same thing, when I am down on myself about a bad drive or poorly executed approach shot they are just what I need to get back in the hole.

These wedges are the legit real deal. I am in the midst of a major swing overhaul, my tee game is inconsistent and my long irons are not much better. The only part of my game that is consistently good is 100 yards and in. It is comforting to have clubs in my bag that I know are going to end up in good shape nearly every time.

At the end of my last lesson I was gassed. My driver was all over the place and I needed something good to go home with. I grabbed my 60* Equalizer and started hitting a 75 yard knockdown shot. I do not use this shot on the course but that is going to change. The trackman session looked like something I would see here on the forum from a better golfer. Nice straight shots with almost no left or right misses and very good yardage control.

I was having a bad golf day and the Equalizers pulled me right out of my funk. On the golf course they do the exact same thing, when I am down on myself about a bad drive or poorly executed approach shot they are just what I need to get back in the hole.

I had that exact same feeling on Sunday. I was struggling with my swing but each time I hit the wedge I had no issues. From 60-100 yards I've gained so much more confidence since getting these.

I haven’t been on the course since I got these but I have chipped around the yard with them vs my RTX-3’s. The Hogan V sole seems to work better for me all around but especially on chips from tight lies. They spin more also but that could just be from the RTX being played a lot more. I like the feel of the Hogan’s better but they are forged so it’s to be expected. All things being equal I think the Hogan’s are a definite upgrade over the RTX-3 for me.

Hoping to get them on the course this weekend

My current gamers are Cleveland RTX3 54*/58* and a 50* Cleveland CBX. I have a big swing so most holes are driver-wedge, or driver-short iron. My wedges get quite the workout in an 18 hole round. I chose the Equalizer Black wedges with KBS Tour V(Stiff) +1/2" longer and 2* up.

Looks:
These things are dead sexy. With a DBM black finish, a forged body and beautiful milling on the back they are easy on the eyes. The dark red script lettering is subtle, with only "Ben Hogan" and "equalizer black" in white lettering popping off the backside. The knurling and milled pocket on the back is hidden by the DBM finish. Which is a double edged sword for me. I love the finish but wish the knurled pattern stood out more. Just a personal preference, and definitely not a deal breaker.

Technology:
1025 soft carbon forging makes for a soft hitting wedge. I'm a firm believer that wedges are nearly peaked out on technology/innovation. I just don't see where else we can go with wedges and remain conforming.

Performance
I will say even with an off swing(*see my other Ben Hogan reviews), these are performing as expected. My game around the green is inconsistent at best. However, I really have put some good swings, chips and even flops with these. I've had very little issue with these digging even in soft course conditions. Plenty of height on full swings, which makes it easy to hit them in the air and let them drop in. I suspect as my swing starts to return, I will see even more backspin. The feel off the face is pillow soft and hardly feels like contact is made. Looking forward to good days ahead with these wedges.

Nit picks:
Hard to find many negatives with anything in the Hogan lineup. That being said, I'm going back to the grips. Yes, they only offer one brand, model, and color. That's a strike against them, as golf has become so personal these days. Everyone wants to customize every aspect possible. I would love to see more grip options. Maybe a corded version, a soft version, and the current offering. Maybe colored options, even Hogan colored options(red, navy, white) with such a rock solid lineup, this is an easy fix to a problem they shouldn't have.
Faces and grooves of Hogan(L) and RTX3(R)
277da0afb4fee850c706158c7209ac27.jpg

Similar toplines, the RTX might be a smidge thinner. Hogan(L) RTX(R)
788e5afcfaf577c510d73be141c93e6c.jpg

The soles, the RTX are a bit more abrupt in the sole grind as you can actually see the grind line.
0801ed83bca0349f64b2fca5a733a691.jpg

At address, with open face:
4b8932f783e4462d5a70088c7c60eb5c.jpg

Boudoir photos for one of the sexiest wedges on the market:
e8c5c371db4fe8b84651f990eed19c35.jpg

d513f80109fb1548093f7efeaaf401ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Played 9 tonight and these were a big part of why I shot a good, for me, score.

I didn’t use them until hole 3, an approach into a par 5, and this was what I was rewarded with.

ed1210fc792bd7fb1fc1bb4adbdda4a0.jpg

As a digger I love the turf interaction with these. Hogan really did their V sole right. Much better than Srixon/Cleveland, IMO.

Spin as you can see is good. I generally don’t have much trouble generating spin and these accentuate that. That shot was out of thick rough.

Feel is superb. I don’t know that they’re Muira soft but they’re pretty damn soft feeling.

I’ll update this as I play more but like the rest of the Hogan lineup these are must tries.

I am over 10 rounds in with these wedges and wanted to touch on the finish since I went with the black wedges. So far they are holding up pretty good. This is my 54 degree that I use the most. I have never owned black wedges so I was really curious to how they would hold up.

Had another great day with these wedges again today. Was hitting 3 from 40 yards away on a par 5 right up the hill and stuck it to about 8 inches away for an easy birdie and on the other par 5 hit a great chip that I thought I made but rung around the hole and sat at inch away for a tap in par. Last one was from a greenside bunker that went through the sand perfectly and rolled right past the hole and stopped within a foot. These are so easy to hit around the greens and on full shots. The V sole makes each shot incredibly easy and then the spin you can get is huge when your wanting to stop the ball quick.
4acd7910c9a01b34211e2fe8c47d1cd3.jpg
6d00cae5da9c7ed3887d5e1948b1305b.jpg
db29e3c2743aee2923a5d5484335fef0.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I was gonna do a big write up but they say a picture’s worth 1,000 words

8b246cc6518fded2ddf3c4429cc098f2.jpg

0936e659b540f59fdf657e90a6d5e34d.jpg

I’m a high hc but I don’t have any trouble hitting it high or low with these. I’ve always been afraid of 10-30yd pitches for some reason, I’d usually chunk or blade them. I’m extremely confident in those shots with these wedges. I think a lot of that is the V sole. Everyone raves about V soles Hogan’s are the best version of it, IMO. Or at least Hogan’s works for me better than the others.

Going from a well known quality wedge (Cleveland RTX3 and before them, Callaway MD3) I honestly didn't know what I was going to see with these. Today was my best day with wedges since the event. These wedges are great and create crazy high spin. Per my review, I hit a lot of full and partial wedge shots. I've never had wedges that back up like these do. They feel incredibly soft off the face, but play so well. Today on the front 9 I had back to back great wedge shots. #3, hit my hybrid to 95 out, but it left me 60' behind a 30'+ tree. I try for the hero shot, pull my 58* open the face and fly the top of the tree and it drops on the green, I two putt for par (because that's what I do) #4 short par 3 @121yds, I pull my 54*, hit a smooth shot a mile high but on the green. It drops on the back edge and sucks back 16-18' to the middle of the green, with a deep pitch mark. Hmm..never had THAT much backspin...probably a fluke. Get to #11 147yd par 3, pull the 50* which given the PTX are a bit shorter than my previous set was a gamble but it paid off. Apparently the wedges were true to my previous set. I hit it pin high, 8 or so feet right, and it sucks back 20+ feet leaving a nasty crater.(photos below) Color me impressed. I would have bet money just looking at them that the RTX with their cast bodies, closer grooves, and laser milled micro grooves would be easier to spin...good thing I don't gamble.
7b84f36ef1568619ebc8573435e3fa76.jpg
968aa79912b37aa8dc38ecdeaa1df70b.jpg

Last edited:
Just ordered a 48*, 52* & 56* set of BH Equilizer wedges today. Been using Vokey SM7 wedges that were bought used from eBay. Great results with them but they're not forged and the impact feel is a little hard.

Looking forward to hitting forged wedges.

Just ordered a 48*, 52* & 56* set of BH Equilizer wedges today. Been using Vokey SM7 wedges that were bought used from eBay. Great results with them but they're not forged and the impact feel is a little hard.

I think you'll be very pleased. The equalizer wedges are fantastic. Looking forward to your thoughts on the Hogan vs Vokey.

They are fantastic wedges. I have never played Vokey wedges as I prefer forged wedges so cannot offer any comparisons. I think you will really enjoy the consistency, versatility and feel of the Equalizers.

I'll be ordering a set of these soon. I'm going to go with the 50, 54, 58, but haven't decided on chrome versus black. I'm working with Danny at UST to get a set of Recoil 110s to put in them so I have matching shafts down the line.

Back