Ben Hogan Equalizer Wedges

I’m curious to know who took the leap to graphite shafts with these wedges. My father in law is still playing my set with the Recoil 780s and raves about how great they feel compared to his Ping Glide 2.0 set.

Anyone else make that jump, or thought about trying graphite shafts in their wedges?
I really enjoy the :UST:Wedge Proto I have in mine.

I’m curious to know who took the leap to graphite shafts with these wedges. My father in law is still playing my set with the Recoil 780s and raves about how great they feel compared to his Ping Glide 2.0 set.

Anyone else make that jump, or thought about trying graphite shafts in their wedges?

I have played this wedge in graphite with both the Recoil 780 SmacWrap (original set I had)& the Recoil Wedge Proto (set from the Hogan/ UST Mamiya experience). I liked both, but preferred the Recoil Wedge Proto due to it being not as light feeling as the 780s.

The feel with the graphite is great.

If you read my recap of The Ben Hogan Experience, you will know that Team Tyler lost the event due to a wayward wedge shot by yours truly. Because of this faulty wedge shot, Tyler Brewton with Ben Hogan Golf decided to send me a couple of Ben Hogan Equalizer wedges to replace my Cleveland RTX-4s. I have put them in the bag for the last 20 rounds and multiple range/short game practice sessions. This review covers the 54 & 58 degree wedges in the Black finish with the graphite shaft offering of the Recoil 780/F4 Smac Wrap shaft.

About me:
Handicap- GHIN 11.2
Swing Speed- 98-100 MPH (Driver Average)
Normal Ball Flight- Mid-High
Normal Miss- Left (I'm right handed), Sometimes left of Elizabeth Warren
Wedges that I've Gamed in the Past- Cleveland 588, Nike VR, Cleveland 588 (revamp), Mack Daddy 2, Cleveland RTX-3, Mack Daddy 4, Cleveland RTX-4

Looks: This wedge is very good in the looks department, I have the matte black finish on these wedges and the look inspires confidence. The red numbering with the white writing is a good combo; I think that it is a better look than a lot of the wedges that I have gamed in the past (listed above). Through 20 rounds and some range sessions, the black finish is holding up so well it’s shocking. I’m a big fan of darker finish on my wedges, and all of the wedges that I have gamed (except for the OG 588s and the Nike VR) have been in a dark finish. The finish is holding up way better than the dark finish on any wedge that I have ever gamed. As to be expected in a wedge that bares the Ben Hogan name, the shape is traditional and classic.

Data Averages: 54 Degree- Full Swing (Foresight Sim)

Club Head Speed- 69.6 MPH

Ball Speed- 85.0 MPH

Launch Angle- 31.60

Spin- 9,023 RPMs

Peak Height: 28 yards

Carry Distance- 101 yards

Total Distance- 106 yards

View attachment 8913678

Data Averages: 58 Degree- Full Swing (Foresight Sim)

Club Head Speed- 60.6 MPH

Ball Speed- 74.0 MPH

Launch Angle- 36.60

Spin- 9693 RPMs

Peak Height: 24 yards

Carry Distance- 81 yards

Total Distance- 85 yards

View attachment 8913679

Distance/Forgiveness: Like any blade style wedges, mishits are punitive, that is no different than any other wedge. Well struck shots feel really good, and shots not stuck as well give feedback so you know where you missed. Full swing distances are a little hotter what I have come to expect from my previous RTX-4 wedges. Partial swing distances are also a little hotter too. The increase in distance is still something that I’m trying to adjust to, there is a big difference in the shafts in this wedge set verses the shafts that I have in my RTX-4 wedges (TT DG S400 Tour Issue). The one area that this wedge excels in is the area of turf interaction, this might be due to the fact that the Hogan model takes the guess work out of selecting the correct bounce out of play because you only get one choice related to bounce (54-7 & 58-8). They do have a V-Sole type of design that has been made popular by the Cleveland line of wedges, and this isn’t a bad thing.

Feel/Spin: Feel is relative, but the feel of these is really good. At times the feel of these wedges has been a little muted and gaging distances was a challenge at first. The spin that these wedges produce is in line with any of the wedges that I have ever put in my bag. Once I got used to the feel, I was able to get aggressive with these wedges on pitches and chips and not have to worry about the ball not biting or too much run out (of course this could also be ball related too). I think where this wedge really shines is in pitches from the 30-40 yard range, it out performs my previous wedges in this area by a wide margin. I think this is because the ball comes off firm and crisp, and I really like playing bump and runs with these wedges.

Versatility: I didn’t find that these wedges are as versatile as others that I have gamed, they aren’t as easy to lay down and open the face for those shots that require face manipulation. This might not be a bad thing for someone of my skill level, because I resist the urge to get too cute with these wedges. This lack of versatility is especially noticeable with the 58 degree wedge, as I’m coming over from a RTX-4 58 degree 1 dot (which is super easy to open). This could be an issue for you if you are a player that likes to get really creative with the type of wedge shot you play. The sole of these wedges is wider than I normally game, and that probably impacts the level of versatility. They both look and play like the Cleveland 3 Dot style, in my opinion.

Bunker Play: These wedges perform very well out of bunkers; On longer bunker shots, the 54 degree wedge performed extremely well. On the shorter bunker shots, I actually prefer the RTX-4 58 over the Hogan 58. This might also be because of the state of my bunker game, and not necessarily a knock on these wedges.

Grip: On page 1 of Ben Hogan’s Five Lessons, Ben Hogan states, “Good Golf begins with a good grip… The player’s only contact with the ball is through the clubhead, and his only direct physical contact with the club is through his hands.” The stock Lamkin grip didn’t agree with me, as it got slick with heat and humidity, and generally performed poor. I changed the grip after 2 rounds, and this grip is the only one that is offered. I think that the Ben Hogan Company should follow the guidance of the man whose name is on their equipment and invest in better grip offerings.

View attachment 8913680

Conclusion: I like these wedges, they are everything that you would expect with Mr. Hogan’s name on them. The shape is classic and traditional, and they perform very well in the many attributes that serious golfers look for in a wedge. The finish holds up better than any dark finish that I have ever gamed, and that isn’t even close. With escalating wedge price points, the fact that the price point of these wedges is significantly less than other OEM’s wedge offerings, but perform at the same level as those other wedges, should be reason enough for the THP Universe to take a look at these wedges.

This is my original review of these wedges, and I stand by the commentary here above...

The only difference between the Hogan wedges I had pre Ben Hogan/UST experience (reviewed here) & the Hogan wedges I got at the Experience was the shaft. I had the stock Recoil 780s & received Recoil Wedge Proto shafts at the Experience.

I prefer the Recoil Wedge Proto.

Here to echo what @thewilderside and @JDax have said. We received Recoil Wedge Proto in a flex matching our irons. Since I have proto 95 in my irons, there is an additional weight in the wedge shafts, that clearly pairs up with the Equalizer head. I take a little pride in my short game. Full swing to high lipped bunker shots, this shaft wedge combo is great.

I have the Protos in my current wedge set, and I agree the extra weight really helps for full wedge shots. But if I were to order these wedges from Ben Hogan Golf, I would have no hesitation of going with the 760/780 shafts. Sure, they are a bit lighter that what I prefer, but that's not really a bad thing for a lot of golfers like my father in law who have a bit of a slower swing speed.

I'm happy to see all of these responses with graphite shafted wedges in play. Seems like we are moving away from an unfair stigma that graphite shafts can't work in wedges.

I have the Protos in my current wedge set, and I agree the extra weight really helps for full wedge shots. But if I were to order these wedges from Ben Hogan Golf, I would have no hesitation of going with the 760/780 shafts. Sure, they are a bit lighter that what I prefer, but that's not really a bad thing for a lot of golfers like my father in law who have a bit of a slower swing speed.

I'm happy to see all of these responses with graphite shafted wedges in play. Seems like we are moving away from an unfair stigma that graphite shafts can't work in wedges.
I have Sim numbers in my review posted above, with the stock 780s and the numbers are really really good.

As wedge prices continue to climb, this Hogan price point is the best performance/price ratio on the market right now.

I’m playing them with recoil wedge proto. I see no advantage steel has over these in feel, spin or control. I’m a convert

I got the smacwrap shafts at the event last year in my wedges.

I have graphite in my 54 and steel in my 60. I prefer the feel of the graphite to steel and if I were to replace my 60 with a new one, I would get graphite.

When will THP release information about the new Ben Hogan wedges?

JB: have you read the MGS write up on them? Great story; love the look of the "Texas Grind". I currently play a set of Equalizers (50, 54 and 60) and love them!!! Love the idea of tinkering with a 58 in the Texas Grind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB: have you read the MGS write up on them? Great story; love the look of the "Texas Grind". I currently play a set of Equalizers (50, 54 and 60) and love them!!! Love the idea of tinkering with a 58 in the Texas Grind.

I dont read that site for information. Sorry. All I know is the gun was jumped on embargo, but we have a thread on the new wedges already.

I dont read that site for information. Sorry. All I know is the gun was jumped on embargo, but we have a thread on the new wedges already.

Not a thing to say "sorry" about, sir. We all read and digest the information we choose from the outlets we choose for whatever reasons; so it is. I'm happy to glean whatever's out there from wherever I can find it and I'm glad to have gotten a "peek" at what's coming and look forward to more equipment.

I put these in the bag for my range session at lunch. I had forgotten exactly how good they are. Such a great feel. It’s a softer feel than the King cobra MiM wedges I’m playing.

I have the Recoil 110 Proto in these. Love that shaft.

I put these in the bag for my range session at lunch. I had forgotten exactly how good they are. Such a great feel. It’s a softer feel than the King cobra MiM wedges I’m playing.

I have the Recoil 110 Proto in these. Love that shaft.

Sweet! They are wicked good wedges. Nice and soft, great shape, nice grind, and grippy grooves. They are some of my favorites because they are forged and the DBM finish on my set is just ridiculously good. Great to hear you are enjoying yours!

I have tried several times to replace these but they just keep finding their way back into my bag. Stinks that I won't be able to get more when I finally completely wear the grooves out. Just so versatile and consistent for me and feel great. Thank goodness I picked up the 54 and 58 in black so I do have some backups even though they have their share of wear on them also.

I have tried several times to replace these but they just keep finding their way back into my bag. Stinks that I won't be able to get more when I finally completely wear the grooves out. Just so versatile and consistent for me and feel great. Thank goodness I picked up the 54 and 58 in black so I do have some backups even though they have their share of wear on them also.

They’re hard to beat. Feel and spin are great.

I too am still bagging these. Just haven't found anything more magical to replace them with.

Agree with this 100%. Feel, spin, versatility, they’re just hard to beat.

Those are really sharp looking. I was just playing around in the yard with my old (I think I got it around 1980) Hogan Shure-out yesterday afternoon.

The og Equalizer and PTx Pro's were incredible clubs. I changed irons and wedges a few times since then but I could put them back in play without issue. I sold them off years ago but wish I had kept them.

I too am still bagging these. Just haven't found anything more magical to replace them with.
Having played the Equalizer, I would take a look at the Cobra Snakebite wedges, and I’m not just saying that because I am in the Morgan Cup. The main feature I remember from the Equalizer set was the sole shape and the ability to get through the turf and elevate the ball quickly, while still generating spin. They are awesome wedges. Of all the wedges I have played since then, the Snakebites remind me most of the Equalizers, and I think they would be a good option to take a look at.

Every time I see hogan club threads pop up a get a little sad.

Back