Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Hmm, ok, that is heavier than I want. Mine are the Modus 105. Thanks anyway!!

The stiff Project X's are likely part of the problem with the GW and SW for me. I feel much better about my bag now that I've replaced them both with CBX wedges -- stock graphite shaft in the 50*, and stock steel in the 54* (and 58*). I'm kicking myself for not addressing the shafts at the lower end of the set during my fitting. Maybe a more appropriate shaft choice is all that was needed? But I won't complain about the switch to CBX's as they are shockingly good and so ridiculously easy to hit it feels like cheating.

As for the rest of the HM's, I continue to get more and more comfortable with them. They aren't longer than my previous Cobras, but the launch and spin are what I was looking for, and my gapping is more consistent. I hit the 5-iron so well I'm wondering if I should have gone with the HM 4 as well.

Irons where good today. When we started this morning it was just dead calm, I really like those days as you can check distances really well and it makes for a nice reminder of club selection to keep things fresh in your mind.

I’ll echo these statements about the consistency of the HM and HM Pro irons. I’ve got mine dialled in nicely. Shot 77 and 79 with the HM Pro’s in the bag. Short game work is paying off. Putter was on fire and my short game was better than it has been in quite some time.

I am thinking my time with my 919 Tours could be coming to an end here shortly haha. Not because I don't like them. They are exactly what a player like me should be using (ie: the mid handicap who likes to look at a nice/players iron who needs some help). I know some in here have been hesitant about trying the Tour, but they are very usable for many players.

Its just time to have fun with something new maybe....

I had a chance to demo HMP 7i at out door range just to compare it to Z765.
Full club longer or more. It had Recoil 95 F3.
I seem to push right most of the shots. Still distance is there. Ball flight is mega high compare to Z765. Almost fly like my PW.
I tried to turn it over but just couldn’t do it. 80% is just push right. Not much but about 15yds push right.
You think I might need F4? I have recoil F4 in Mizuno Flihi and I my ball flight is slight draw or straight. Similar ball flight with Z765.
They didn’t have F4 recoil for me to try.
I was leaning toward F3 but I might need F4? Limited experience with graphite shaft. I heard recoil plays true flex but seems maybe I need stiff shaft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a chance to demo HMP 7i at out door range just to compare it to Z765.
Full club longer or more. It had Recoil 95 F3.
I seem to push right most of the shots. Still distance is there. Ball flight is mega high compare to Z765. Almost fly like my PW.
I tried to turn it over but just couldn’t do it. 80% is just push right. Not much but about 15yds push right.
You think I might need F4? I have recoil F4 in Mizuno Flihi and I my ball flight is slight draw or straight. Similar ball flight with Z765.
They didn’t have F4 recoil for me to try.
I was leaning toward F3 but I might need F4? Limited experience with graphite shaft. I heard recoil plays true flex but seems maybe I need stiff shaft?

It sounds to me like you need the Recoil F4's. However, I would recommend finding a shop with a Mizuno fitting cart. It only takes a few minutes and swings with their shaft optimizer to find out which shaft and flex you need. I know it worked beautifully for me, fwiw.

Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Putting a Tour/Forged combo set into play this week. 5-7 Forged and 8-PW Tour. Lofts tweaked to ensure consistent gapping. Modus 120 S shafts. Should be fun!

94f678dccbff1de98a4f3346ab7b7fbb.jpg

Beautiful bag. Inquiring minds would like to know how you gapped the set.

Happy ballstriking!

I'm, how do you say... In?
d0950216568efa352bf82bf332e3f748.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Beautiful bag. Inquiring minds would like to know how you gapped the set.

Happy ballstriking!

I went 1 degree strong on the 9 and 2 on the 8. All else standard.

I'm, how do you say... In?
d0950216568efa352bf82bf332e3f748.jpg

Gotta love seeing that blue box at your door!

So.....? What iron and shaft did you go with?

919 HM
And I have a ridiculously slow swing so Project X lz senior. Lol

919 HM Ns Pro Modus3 and I love it. I am trying to figure out my distances since I made my swing change because I thought I hit my 6 160 and now it’s more like 170ish

I am hitting my Hot Metals super well. Thinking I may get the Hot Metal 55* wedge too. My Vokey feels pretty heavy compared to the rest of my clubs now, but I hit 2 beautiful chips with it today and shot my best round of the year. Maybe I should quit club hoing for a bit LOL!

I am hitting my Hot Metals super well. Thinking I may get the Hot Metal 55* wedge too. My Vokey feels pretty heavy compared to the rest of my clubs now, but I hit 2 beautiful chips with it today and shot my best round of the year. Maybe I should quit club hoing for a bit LOL!

I have the 56* & 60* Hot Metals, as I wanted the same shaft in my sand & lob wedges as the rest of the set. While my 60* and I are still trying to decide if we like one another, I LOVE my 56*. It's quickly becoming my go to club on most any shot 80 yards and in.

I know what you mean about the weight. I like the weight in my lob wedge but would consider trying a 56* HM sand wedge.

Played my HM Pro’s at Sandpiper Golf Club. They were lethal! 76 on the card. 1 eagle and 2 birdies. Love these irons!

The 919 HM with the PX 6.0 is one of, if not the, nastiest combos I’ve ever hit. A strong mid flight.

I can’t get over how soft these are. I saw on mygolfspy that the mid and scoring irons didn’t score as well. That couldn’t be more opposite in the 45 holes I’ve played with them so far.

The 919 HM with the PX 6.0 is one of, if not the, nastiest combos I’ve ever hit. A strong mid flight.

I can’t get over how soft these are. I saw on mygolfspy that the mid and scoring irons didn’t score as well. That couldn’t be more opposite in the 45 holes I’ve played with them so far.

Agreed. For literally years, I've struggled to hit a 6 iron. With my Hot Metal 6 iron, I'm back to being able to hit 150-160 yards shots. And I love my scoring irons, too.

The 6-LW Hot Metals have been the best irons I've had in the bag for quite some time, so good out of the rough and easy to swing, still hitting things a bit heavy, but can't wait to see what the rest of the season is like with them!

Agreed. For literally years, I've struggled to hit a 6 iron. With my Hot Metal 6 iron, I'm back to being able to hit 150-160 yards shots. And I love my scoring irons, too.

Played 9 today, HMPs did not let me down. 4th hole is a short (280y) par 4. Normally I hit driver, then have to deal with a 30-50y pitch. With the new 5i in the bag. I decided to play the hole the "right way". Took a smooth whack and hit a baby draw right down the middle, rolled to just shy of 200y (!). 3/4 GW in, 2 putt for par. Hit a few other shots that were a bit fat but I didn't pay much of a price. 6i was particularly well behaved both from tee and deck. Great clubs.

Anyone combo the HMP with the 919 tours?

Looking at the lofts, it seems like I’d have to overlap the irons a bit:
HMP 5 and 6 ( to play as 4 and 5)
The 919 tour 6 to PW

Thoughts?

Played a course this weekend that was bent grass and the HM's performed quite well. Hit a few fat shots but that was me not the clubs. For the most part being that the course was really wet they got thru the turf just fine. The one thing I notice with the tight/clean lies is that I was hitting everything about a club longer, kinda confused me a bit but chalked it up to good contact.

Anyone combo the HMP with the 919 tours?

Looking at the lofts, it seems like I’d have to overlap the irons a bit:
HMP 5 and 6 ( to play as 4 and 5)
The 919 tour 6 to PW

Thoughts?

I'm pondering this - to the point that I ordered a 919T PW to experiment with. My hunch is that you'd need a pair of 7 irons (or as you note, 6 irons) unless you bent the Tours a bit strong or the HMPs a bit weak:

HMP 5 - 23*
HMP 6- 26*
HMP 7 - 30*
919T 7 - 34*
919T 8 - 38*
919T 9 - 42*
919T PW - 46*
919F GW - 51*

Played a course this weekend that was bent grass and the HM's performed quite well. Hit a few fat shots but that was me not the clubs. For the most part being that the course was really wet they got thru the turf just fine. The one thing I notice with the tight/clean lies is that I was hitting everything about a club longer, kinda confused me a bit but chalked it up to good contact.

I think the relief on the trailing edge helps a lot depending on your swing. I hit the HMP a lot more consistently than my old i210s - I attribute some (most?) of that to the lower bounce on the HMP.

Back