Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Going to finally find out how good the Hot Metal Pro irons are!

Going to finally find out how good the Hot Metal Pro irons are!

Update when you can please. I just got fitted into a set of the Pro's, so looking for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered the 4i. I hit the 5i so we'll, I thought why not. Plus, been having a hard time with the hybrid. I still can't find anything about the HMs I don't like. The more I play, the more I like them.

I ordered the 4i. I hit the 5i so we'll, I thought why not. Plus, been having a hard time with the hybrid. I still can't find anything about the HMs I don't like. The more I play, the more I like them.

That is good to hear!!! How is your daughter getting along with hers?

That is good to hear!!! How is your daughter getting along with hers?
Doing purty good
There seems but could be a mental thing, the weight difference between it and my irons kill me. Showed the guys last night, I hit 2 hybrids off the deck, not good, then said watch this, grabbed the 5i and blistered it LOL

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

Doing purty good
There seems but could be a mental thing, the weight difference between it and my irons kill me. Showed the guys last night, I hit 2 hybrids off the deck, not good, then said watch this, grabbed the 5i and blistered it LOL

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

I think we are still trying to knock the winter rust off, only been two times this year where I have been able to play consecutive days.

"That's sad to hear, Snickerdog. Not only have I gotten the distances that I want from my JPX 919 Hot Metals, but I'm actually controlling them better than my previous set(s)."

@Rebel4life I pasted this from the other thread so we didn't side track the discussion.
I think what has happened for me is the distance is definitely there not questioning that at all. Sometimes the control has gotten a bit wonky on my but not terrible. That is probably more due to some swing issues, part of that maybe/is dropping the weight of the shaft from the Recoil 110's to the 95's. My timing is a bit off and causing issues.
Something I need to work on and give it more time for sure. Part of it is knowing what I had in the Srixon 765's and how comfortable I was with that iron. (I have a set of used ones inbound that I am going to set up) so I will compare the two and figure things out.
Worst case I will have a really nice set of HM's for sale that are in great shape that someone can pick up for a really good price.

I can understand the change in weight issue, Snickerdog. In my case, I went the opposite direction and improved my control (in addition to distance). The shafts in my Ping G irons and in my Cobra F7 One Lengths are lighter than the shafts in my 919 Hot Metals and in my set of JPX EZ Forged. The 95 gram shafts are almost ideal for my swing speed.

I've mentioned this before, but I'm still loving the 6 iron in my set. It's literally to the point that I look for opportunities to hit it now. That is truly the difference between night and day from the relationships I've had with 6 irons for the past 10 years or so. On a sad note, I swung my 7 iron the other day and hit a buried stone that scarred the sole. :crying::angry:

On a sad note, I swung my 7 iron the other day and hit a buried stone that scarred the sole. :crying::angry:

That is the worst thing in the world and really sucks!!!!

I did have a pretty good day with the irons today and will see how things to tomorrow. The course is starting to dry out so that should help.

If this is the Honeymoon phase, then I am a happily married man!

Attachments

• IMG_9733.PNG
    IMG_9733.PNG
    500.3 KB · Views: 2
Initial thoughts about the Hot Metal Pro 6-PW & Hot Metal GW-LW. Pros are amazing. Easy to hit! Have a good size to them. Nice balance of top line and sole width. Long! I think the standard Hot Metals might be a touch longer, but not by much. Had my normal mid-high flight. Was hoping the Modus 120 would bring it down a little, but I have a really late release which I guess gives me that ball flight. Only criticism is they aren't forged! These are the first cast clubs I have ever owned. I think the Tours are better, personally, but the HM Pro marries the Tour size and offset with the length and forgiveness of the Hot Metals.
The Hot Metal wedges. The good and the bad! I wanted to go set matching because I wanted this bag to be an easy transition top to bottom. Plus, they have a good amount of bounce, so they fit into what I need as a digger! The good-the GW is great! Just a shorter PW. I do wish they had a set matching GW for the HM Pro though. The SW/LW are really easy to get up in the air especially on 1/2 shots and pitches. I put a softer flex shaft in these clubs. I like how they feel. The bad-for Hot Metal irons, these seem super weak. I know you shouldn't hit a 55/60 wedge a mile, but they were shorter than I expected. The SW not as much, but the LW just goes up in the air without much distance. On a full swing, the LW was only going maybe 55-60 yards! I'm going to keep trying them...might wind up bending them stronger to 54/58*.

Had another decent round of golf today. Really got my distances squared away. Lots of full PW and GW shots on to the green and they stuck really well to the green. I’m getting that really nice high ball flight that I like to see.

Going to go again tomorrow. Beautiful weekend to be outside.

I love the Hot Metals. They work for me and I know the distances, but I have been playing them all year and I had JPX 900 Hot Metals the 2 years before this.

Initial thoughts about the Hot Metal Pro 6-PW & Hot Metal GW-LW. Pros are amazing. Easy to hit! Have a good size to them. Nice balance of top line and sole width. Long! I think the standard Hot Metals might be a touch longer, but not by much. Had my normal mid-high flight. Was hoping the Modus 120 would bring it down a little, but I have a really late release which I guess gives me that ball flight. Only criticism is they aren't forged! These are the first cast clubs I have ever owned. I think the Tours are better, personally, but the HM Pro marries the Tour size and offset with the length and forgiveness of the Hot Metals.
The Hot Metal wedges. The good and the bad! I wanted to go set matching because I wanted this bag to be an easy transition top to bottom. Plus, they have a good amount of bounce, so they fit into what I need as a digger! The good-the GW is great! Just a shorter PW. I do wish they had a set matching GW for the HM Pro though. The SW/LW are really easy to get up in the air especially on 1/2 shots and pitches. I put a softer flex shaft in these clubs. I like how they feel. The bad-for Hot Metal irons, these seem super weak. I know you shouldn't hit a 55/60 wedge a mile, but they were shorter than I expected. The SW not as much, but the LW just goes up in the air without much distance. On a full swing, the LW was only going maybe 55-60 yards! I'm going to keep trying them...might wind up bending them stronger to 54/58*.

I've had a similar experience with the HM LW. While I love the 56*, I have also found that I can only get maybe 60 yards out of the LW. I probably need to practice with it more, but I've essentially given up on the LW. I'm learning how to grip down on the 56* to play a shot I would normally pull the 60*.

Had a good day with the HM's today. The temps where warmer (85) so was getting a bit more distance today. Couple shots that stuck out, Par 3, 141 yards and hit a nice high 8 iron right over the flag and stuck it 3 feet behind the pin. The other was approach shot from with a 7 iron from 154 and stuck it about 3 yards left of pin.

I have taken a couple of lessons because my consistency has been off, and the new coach has gotten me to swing with a more squared face at my take away, and we changed my grip to be stronger, and since making these swing changes, I have added a club to 1.5 clubs in distance, but I am starting to see that there is quite a bit of roll out from my ball marks. I have changed balls to the Bridgestone B RX away from the Q Star Tour so maybe that has something to do with it?

Anyone else find this with the HMs?

I have taken a couple of lessons because my consistency has been off, and the new coach has gotten me to swing with a more squared face at my take away, and we changed my grip to be stronger, and since making these swing changes, I have added a club to 1.5 clubs in distance, but I am starting to see that there is quite a bit of roll out from my ball marks. I have changed balls to the Bridgestone B RX away from the Q Star Tour so maybe that has something to do with it?

I've had to set the ball back a hair more in my stance to come down on it more. I was hitting from the same place as my old irons and not getting as much spin but towering shots

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The RX should help, or even try the Chrome Soft. It isn't a high spin head so the ball will give you some help.

I've noticed that, too. I got a full round in with my 919's today, and the carry is where I expect it to be, but even with moist conditions I'm getting more roll than I'm used to. I'm attempting to burn through my inventory of 2-piece balls (ironically I didn't lose a single one), so I know the ball is a factor, but I've played this particular ball with my Cobras and I'm certain it stopped quicker. Next round I'm putting something urethane into play to see if I can hold more greens.

Other than the the distance issues, me and the Mizunos are getting along quite swimmingly.

I just ordered a combo set of HM/HM Pros through Budget Golf. I'll post all my thoughts once they get here.

What brought you to the conclusion of buying a combo?

What brought you to the conclusion of buying a combo?

I like the smaller topline and sole of the pro, but wanted the help with the 5 & 6 of the regular HM. I haven't played a lot in the last few years, so wanted to get the help where I think I'll need it. I've played well when I've been out, so I feel the pros will be fine 7-GW.

I like the smaller topline and sole of the pro, but wanted the help with the 5 & 6 of the regular HM. I haven't played a lot in the last few years, so wanted to get the help where I think I'll need it. I've played well when I've been out, so I feel the pros will be fine 7-GW.

The loft are the same on both models...the biggest difference is offset. Hot Metals has the most and Hot Metal Pros are equal to the Tours. It's a big change over. The Hot Metal Pro is supposed to be a long iron replacement for the Tours.

Hit my 7 iron last night on the simulator. I forgot to take a picture, but carry was 175, club head speed was 93.5, and spin was 6750. These are supposed to be low spin irons. Most people are sub 6000 with the 7 iron. I'm going to be looking for a lower spin ball. Also, maybe a softer one, because I'm not in love with the feel of these. I have always played Forged irons since I began playing at 13 years old. These are the first cast clubs I have ever had. It is a noticeable difference! Also, I also found out I needed to swing harder(my normal swing)! I have conditioned myself not to swing so hard because of the equipment I always played was definitely not what I needed. Now that I was fit for these and have the proper shaft flex, length, grip size, etc. I can swing for the fences!

Back