Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Joining the mizuno club just in time for 2 weeks of rain.

Thought I was going ping, but a fitting led to these.

abF6e9G.jpg

Getting some more rounds in. About a club longer than my prior set takes some getting used to. Really easy to flight down when needed. Hitting the long irons more consistently than the short so far which is weird. Wondering if the lie i got fitted to is a bit off.

Really like being able to feel the mishits without being punished too bad for it.

I cannot wait until Wednesday when I have a chance to get a round in with these. I've had 2 range sessions plus hit the wedges a bit into the net in my yard, all I can say is wow. These are game changers.
I'm coming from a set of Callaway X-16 steelheads ( I know) and I have to completely rethink my game management and club selection now.
I was afraid of losing my 3 & 4 Irons but the 5 & 6 in the HM are longer than what I lost.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Currently playing a combo setup of these:

I may have mentioned this before. In the past, I've struggled with hitting iron shots fat at times, whether it was with my Ping G's, or my Cobra F7 OL's. Since picking up my 919 Hot Metals, though, the % of iron shots that I hit fat has dropped drastically. I honestly don't know if it's the irons, the shafts, or the fact that I'm so much more confident with these irons. All I know is that I'm not struggling with fat shots anywhere near as much as I had in the past. Have I mentioned that I love my Mizunos?

Good night with the Hot Metals. Handled the wind well, (we playing in 15-20mph winds all evening) Lot of people say it is hard to flight a ball down with GI irons, but it can be done, maybe not as easy as a players iron, but can be done.
Really liking my Recoil shafts, my wrists don't hurt after a round and with the elbow (support) that pain is gone now.

Really starting to get comfortable with my HMP’s. Got a Dozen rounds under the belt now with them and love everything. This is my second year in golf so my swing is improving too but love the less off set in the clubs compared to the cobra max I was playing last year. I feel like for me I can square up the club face easily. Once it dries up some more I will start using my normal ball. Been using some cheapie balls because it is super wet still around here. Hard for mowers to get out and on tee shots the ball gets buried on impact into the ground. Pretty depressing to watch a nice drive down the fairway stop instantly with no roll out and then you can’t find it. Even though it’s in the fairway. Lost 5 balls to the fairway last weekend.

Started out with birdie, par, par last night. Then it all went downhill. We got stuck behind 3 groups and the rangers were useless. On the positive side the HM were the only positive part of the last 6 holes. Mid game was really strong and I LOVE the gap wedge.

Played 9 holes today at my local (par 33) course. Quite windy so that makes a few of the holes tougher - especially one par 3 that was playing 205 into about a 20 mph wind. I typically shoot about 5 or 6 over, but my goal is to play it even par by end of the year. At my last lesson I had slid back a bit, but hit in the bay yesterday to try and iron things out (pun intended). Got bailed out by the forgiveness of the HMPs a couple times - toe hit on a 5i off the tee on a short par 4 that went far enough and straight, a thin PW that went the distance, fat PW that ended up just short. Ended up shooting 35 (7 pars, 2 bogeys) and that was with a missed birdie on 8 (2" short), and another missed birdie on 9 that turned into a bogey 3-putt (thankfully I don't do that very often). I'm getting more and more confident with these irons - basically if I just keep my tempo mellow and swing smooth it goes where I want it. I don't feel like I really have to crush it to get the ball to fly.

One interesting moment - guy I was playing with asked me if I knew anything about his shafts (M4s with Fujis). I explained what the flexes and weights were, the driver was a good fit for him, the 3W was too stiff for his swing. That was on the long par 3 and I lamented that I had left my 3W at home and only had 3H which is about a 195-200y club for me, and with the wind I probably needed about 225-230. He asked me to hit his 3W as he'd just bought it used and was curious to have my try it. I figured what the heck, tee'd it low and hit a bit of a toe hook but it ended up just short of the front of the green. Glad I didn't stuff it in the trees :). I will say I like my F9 3W better...

I've gotten in enough rounds (24) with my HM's to say they are definitely the clubs for me. While I generally like each of them, I love my 6-iron and my 56* sand wedge. In the past with other sets, those were actually my worst irons, but it's exactly the opposite with my HM's.

While I, of course, still catch the occasional shot fat or thin, the % of such is vastly lower than with previous sets of irons, and it typically happens the most now when I start to get tired and lose a bit of concentration. My typical miss is right, but I suspect that's due to an alignment issue. I've found it easier to work a fade with my HM's, but on occassion, I can draw them too. Most of the time though, I just try to hit straight shots, and my HM's help me to do so.

At first, I suspected that my distance gains (better yet, a return to my distances of a few years ago) were going to be temporary due to the confidence that comes from new clubs. However, I think I can now honestly say the gains are real. When I put a proper swing on a shot, which seems to happen more frequently with these sticks, I get my old distances, if not a couple of yards more. Of even greater importance, I still get reasonable distance off of mishits, so I've found these clubs to be incredibly forgiving.

Waiting for this rain and snow to go away again up north here.....:angry: yes it snowed again, luckily it went away quickly but now we have 40* rain and high winds.

Should warm up this weekend though. Fingers crossed so I can get out again soon.

Waiting for this rain and snow to go away again up north here.....:angry: yes it snowed again, luckily it went away quickly but now we have 40* rain and high winds.

Should warm up this weekend though. Fingers crossed so I can get out again soon.

I feel your pain there, been raining everyday here. Today is the only sunny day until next Tuesday and with a 4 day weekend coming up might not get to play much.

Was able to get out today before the rains came. Had some really good shots with the 6 iron today, nice high small draws that hit and stuck with hardly any rollout. I have been messing around with hitting shots from 90-110 yards with my pitching wedge instead of my 50° Vokey. I can swing easier and still get on the ball to get it to hit and stop.

I had a round for the ages going yesterday and was hitting my HM's beautifully. But, it's been a hard week, and after #10, I got tired and I think a yellow-eyed demon must have possessed my driver and putter. The round fell apart, but even during the collapse, the Hot Metals came through for me. All day, on shots that I put a good swing on, I got nice, perfect height, straight results. Even with poor swings, they were extremely forgiving.

I had a round for the ages going yesterday and was hitting my HM's beautifully. But, it's been a hard week, and after #10, I got tired and I think a yellow-eyed demon must have possessed my driver and putter. The round fell apart, but even during the collapse, the Hot Metals came through for me. All day, on shots that I put a good swing on, I got nice, perfect height, straight results. Even with poor swings, they were extremely forgiving.
Damn Azazel, coming for golf clubs now.

Pretty good day with the Hot Metals. I hit a couple shots out on the toe and wasn't penalized to much, the forgiveness is very good. I have been getting enough spin on my approach shots to be able to stop the ball within 3 feet on the firmer greens I have been playing on.

Pretty impressed by Mizuno! Placed a custom order Monday morning and clubs were assembled, shipped and delivered before 12 Noon on Thursday! Went with Hot Metal Pro irons 6-PW Nippon Modus 120X +.5" 2* upright Midsize MCC+4 grips plus 2 wraps. Hot Metal GW-LW in the same specs except SW & LW have the 120S shafts.

Pretty impressed by Mizuno! Placed a custom order Monday morning and clubs were assembled, shipped and delivered before 12 Noon on Thursday! Went with Hot Metal Pro irons 6-PW Nippon Modus 120X +.5" 2* upright Midsize MCC+4 grips plus 2 wraps. Hot Metal GW-LW in the same specs except SW & LW have the 120S shafts.
Uhmm aren't you getting a set of Hogans shortly?

Bag 3?

Scored a 46 today! Putting sucked but was on fire with the irons. Finally getting distances adjusted in my head since changing to these irons and am very confident and comfortable hitting the five iron. Had some very nice shots with the irons. Just need to putt less and I had a few wedge shots that were to long. Mizuno has a real winner here.

Since I have been fitted my iron play has been getting better each round I play.

:banana:

Last edited:
Back