TaylorMade M5 and M6 Drivers

Sounds good JB. Will be watching closely.
My M6 driver arrived today and hopefully will get out with it soon and give everyone my feedback.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Well I couldn’t wait any longer. Hit both the M5 and M6 today and really liked them. Hit my old TM SLDR there too with the fitter guy on the PGASS system and there were some differences. The average distances were a few yards longer for the M5/M6 for me, but the big difference was that I was getting much more consistent and straight ball flight... which is what I want.

Looking forward to putting this club in play!

D7AA096E-5960-450A-A8D9-966A0221121E.jpeg323CAE02-F375-4665-8857-AE5A07ABEB46.jpeg

Thoughts on M6

Thoughts on M6

Looking forward to your thoughts.

I tried both the M5 and M6 on the launch monitor a couple weeks ago. The fitter recommended m6 with the Tensei Orange CK shaft. So I pulled the trigger and purchased it under a 30 day trial period.

I had it outdoors on the range this afternoon and while it is a good club, I don't think it's that much of an improvement over my current M4. It sounds a slightly better than the M4 but not a huge difference in sound. It just launched too high for me even after delofting it to the lowest setting.

At this point I think I will return it under the retailer's trial policy. I don't like doing that but quite honestly you have to look real hard to see that it ever touched a range ball. Still looks brand new.

May just stick with my M4 to start my golf season and just accept the fact that it's a bit loud even with flush hits.

I respect that fact that the M5/M6 works for others here on this forum thread. It's just not enough of a game changer for me personally to spend the additional cash on a new driver now.

I'll be curious how it works for others.

Just heard from TGW my M5 Tour driver back-ordered bc TaylorMade not shipping head until 4/10.

Just heard from TGW my M5 Tour driver back-ordered bc TaylorMade not shipping head until 4/10.

Damn that sucks. The demand must be really high on that! Have you checked in any local stores yet? When the M3 came out I was able to get the 440 off the rack right away

Im dying to hear some feedback when people get the tour size cuz im loving the regular m5. Dispersion and control have been the best for me with this vs any driver I've ever hit

As luck would have it, I recieved my m5 tour on Tuesday and it was 65 out today so I had a chance to get 9 in with it. Going to gather my thoughts to share with all of you but let me say: This. Club. Is. Hot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Had a driver fitting today where I went in with no preferences. Got fit for the M5 with an Oban Devotion 6 (04). Honestly wasn't expecting the M5 but I loved it. With that shaft and both weights forward, I picked up a couple mph in head speed but 8 mph in ball speed. Coupled with a drop in backspin by a fair bit makes me wish I had the driver in hand now. Blew my mind, historically I have not hit or liked Taylormade drivers..

As I mentioned earlier, I had a chance to play 9 holes with the M5 Tour on Friday. The range was closed so I went right to the course to put the m5 through the paces. Missed the fairway (wide right by a LOT) on holes one and two, but finished the rest of the day hitting 5/5. This is unreal, considering I usually hit 5-8 fairways total in a typical round of 18. My miss is typically a push and sometimes push-slice (I tend to catch it a bit low/heel) and my usual fairway hit is dead straight with neither fade nor draw. What surprised me most about this driver was that I was getting this power fade that I’ve never seen before. The ball starts left of fairway and then magically turns hard right, all day. I’m stunned that I was able to put a reliable power fade into play. Absolute joy to feel like I’m the 260 yard version of Dustin Johnson out there.

Some pics of the m5 tour and a few side by side pics comparing it with the Cleveland HB Launcher.
a3f9360cb7d52e3c1178d05833431644.jpg
abfc789d840719a115e11b8956eb73a0.jpg
04ccc782de2048978e9a8844017f5032.jpg
9e4380e9fcc9677e425214f18cc29b83.jpg
02f2c36aa164ce7ab0c5c3a767454f37.jpg

Finally got to play my first round with the m5 and it did not disappoint!! Distance was down but that’s solely cuz of the colder air and wet fairways. I had multiple drives plug it was so soft. .... overall tho I hit 11/14 fairways (usually I’m 8ish). The sound of this driver is amazing. Complete different sound compared to hitting range balls and in simulators

Some pics of the m5 tour and a few side by side pics comparing it with the Cleveland HB Launcher.
a3f9360cb7d52e3c1178d05833431644.jpg
abfc789d840719a115e11b8956eb73a0.jpg
04ccc782de2048978e9a8844017f5032.jpg
9e4380e9fcc9677e425214f18cc29b83.jpg
02f2c36aa164ce7ab0c5c3a767454f37.jpg

Do you find the M5 to sit much more open faced compared to the Launcher looking more closed faced ?

The more I think about my driver for 2019 the more I am drawn to the M5 or M5 Tour. I really like the look and shape of the tour, but know I could benefit from the bigger footprint of the regular M5. Seeing Rory mash this thing all around TPC really has me jonesing for it. The new season can't get here soon enough!!!!

Pretty excited that signup is going on right now for this event and every participant gets a new driver and a whole lot more.

Do you find the M5 to sit much more open faced compared to the Launcher looking more closed faced ?
Much, much more open. Dont know if the pic does it justice but I tried to get it down the line of the shaft (both 44.5" shafts)
22f74395775b15483346aabcfd2ff00f.jpg
e0f4946ee9b949fc1bceb52fc65ba764.jpg

Much, much more open. Dont know if the pic does it justice but I tried to get it down the line of the shaft (both 44.5" shafts)
22f74395775b15483346aabcfd2ff00f.jpg
e0f4946ee9b949fc1bceb52fc65ba764.jpg

Figured so. I game an M3 and even in the “higher” loft setting it still sits more open than most drivers in their most open setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put my new M5 into play for the first time today.

Key takeaway... O. M. G!!! This club is insane!

Used it 6 times today (local executive course, full length par 4s). 4 of 6 found fairways and all were 30-40 yards farther that my old SLDR. I play this course a ton and can pretty much show you where every drive has landed, and will land, from playing it so much. ALL my drives today were well beyond those zones.

I am impressed!

For example:

Hole #1 is a 320yd straight par 4, slight downhill. Usually drive it 220-240 and have a 80-100 yd pitch left to the green. TODAY... I drove the ball to within 10 yd of the fringe! About 305 yds total. Fairways running average speeds too!

The two drives that didn’t find fairways were definitely mis-hit. One off the low heel which strayed left into bushes, and one high slice that seems to show up from time to time at the range, as well as today I guess. Not sure why I get that every so often. I took second/provisional shots for those 2 mis-hits and the provisional shot was equally as eye-watering, and in the fairway!

Lovin’ it!

So, June will bring a plethora of feedback on these...

I’m excited.

So, June will bring a plethora of feedback on these...

I’m excited.

Looking forward to hearing what all you guys have to say about it. Thinking about the Tour version?

Happy to have my number called for the TM event in June. Will certainly be poking in this thread quite a bit. Will be coming from a G400 SFT. Not sure if I will stick with the draw biased offering with the M6 D, but it will be in the mix as I go through the fitting/selection process - not counting anything out at this point. Might also dabble with a lighter shaft weight as I go through this. Who doesn’t love the search and tinkering for a new driver! Pumped for this.

Looking forward to hearing what all you guys have to say about it. Thinking about the Tour version?

Will have to see where the process takes things. For me, every model is on the table and what works best, wins.

TM just shipped my M5 Tour. Should be here next Tuesday. Course should open here soon too (at least the practice range).

Will have to see where the process takes things. For me, every model is on the table and what works best, wins.

This will be my approach. I would normally discount the M6-D immediately, but I’m entering this with no ego. Let’s see what these babies can do.

This will be my approach. I would normally discount the M6-D immediately, but I’m entering this with no ego. Let’s see what these babies can do.

I totally get that. Before I was fitted into a draw-biased G400 SFT, I scoffed at the notion. It’s worked out quite well. If you asked me 2 years ago I would have completely dismissed it.

Did a driver fitting today, and admittedly, my swing was off. My most common miss is a pull draw. Today was a lot of pull fades, and some pull slices. Yuck. But the M5 was an interesting test subject. It had low spin and decent total distance, but was amongst the lowest ball speed and carry of everything I tested — which was Epic Flash, Epic Flash SZ, Cobra F9, Ping G410, Titleist TS3, and Wilson Cortex.

The end results were okay, but I found it interesting that the driver being marketed as obscenely fast was one of the slowest. That was for ME. And on a day when the swing wasn’t good. But still.....interesting. I liked the looks and the feel, but the numbers weren’t a match for me.

There’s a TaylorMade fitting event at a local store next week. Signed up for Wednesday evening. There’s another one in a few weeks and signed up for that as well in case of any inconclusive results next week.

Back