Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Got to play my regular today for the first time. This was my first round in almost 2 months and my swing was all over the place for 15 holes, including a duff that went maybe 5 yards can't remember the last time I duffed one.

I'm using a proforce v2 HL and today I hit CS, Bridgestone RXs and q star ball's, to see if there was any sound difference. To me there may have been a little change in sound with different balls but nothing that turned me off. I also managed to use the WHOLE face today, but mainly the heel. Felt that the forgiveness was put to the test today and felt that I was still getting good distance even with crap swings.

I was some what worried about the sound after reading the comments here but after hitting it I have zero complaints. Since no one close to me had demos I bought this blind online so what sure what to expect for sound. Coming from the Rouge it did sound different but no way offensive or bad.

I did manage to hit 2 good drives today, hole 17 and 18. 17 was a little towards the heel but came out as a little cut, high and rather long.

On 18 I aimed for a little cut and the darn thing was the only straight ball I hit all day. I'm playing it with the weight slightly towards D and +1 N. Decided that the ball was a little high so turned it down to S/N and bam, nice flight straight towards the flag. It's done nothing but rain here forever so no roll out and hasn't been over 50 degrees in the just as long. But that last drive at 10.5 ended up maybe 5 yards short of many of my sunny day Rouge drives.

The funny part is I've never played a driver at 10.5. Even with the high launch shaft 11.5 was my comfort spot. Every other driver I've tried at 10.5 has been a disaster, so being able to hopefully squeeze out a few extra yards at 10.5 Vs 11.5 excites me.

So since you asked me about my usage of the Proforce V2 in my EF, How did you like it in yours?
What shaft did your EF come in?

Just bought Epic Flash Sub Zero yesterday. Question re the sliding weight....when tightening it, should I hear the "click" when done, similar to the shaft adaptor?
I know on previous drivers you hear the click. On the Flash I tighten it more than I think I should be, and still no "click".

Just bought Epic Flash Sub Zero yesterday. Question re the sliding weight....when tightening it, should I hear the "click" when done, similar to the shaft adaptor?
I know on previous drivers you hear the click. On the Flash I tighten it more than I think I should be, and still no "click".

On the regular Flash I definitely get a click but seem to really have to go at it to get it.

Yeah you should definitely get a click. I adjusted one once and I had to torque it pretty hard to get the click.

So since you asked me about my usage of the Proforce V2 in my EF, How did you like it in yours?
My recollection is that it clicked when I tightened it after adjusting the position.

I finally made it to the range with my SZ. I have it set to neutral at 9* and have the Smoke 6.5 cut down for the driver to play at 45". This brought the SW down to D2. I plan to weight this back up to ~D4.

I don't have numbers but I was very consistent with this driver. My miss has been toe side and this club is forgiving on those misses. I hit one way off the toe and it was silly how far it drew back to the center and was still very long. On solid strikes I am seeing a lower overall ball flight and no ballooning at all. The ball is very fast off of the face. I probably hit about 15 balls with this club and would have been fine at the course with about 13 of them and the others were just bad swings on my part that no driver could have helped. I am super happy with this club. I need low spin and moderate forgiveness and this club is delivering. Next step is to get back on a GC2 and dial in the loft, SW, etc to get my peak height where it needs to be while keeping spin under 2500ish. I don't see that being a problem with this club.

Appreciate the replies. I'll just close my eyes and keep tightening.

Try loosening it and sliding it back and forth a little before trying again where you want it. I know on my epic sometimes it felt stuck, but if I did that, it would help get the screw in the right spot and then tightening it until the click was easier. It’s still just a screw in there, so just like all screws if it’s not set right it’s going to fight you.

Might not work, but it’s worth a shot

O.K., finally got the "click"....you have to really reef on it.
So yes, for the EF Sub Zero perimeter weight, tighten until you hear the click.
Thanks again all.

O.K., finally got the "click"....you have to really reef on it.
So yes, for the EF Sub Zero perimeter weight, tighten until you hear the click.
Thanks again all.

I’ll add to what others said about the click, but also to back off if you think something is wrong.

The head on my screw sheared off when I was adjusting it last week.

Callaway has a replacement already on the way for me, but it’s worth being a bit careful.

Anyone know if Callaway has heavier track weights available?

Anyone know if Callaway has heavier track weights available?

I ordered a couple from Billy Bobs golf yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the Proforce V2 HL, it was paid forward to me from one of the testers here and it's the best fitting shaft I've tried yet.

With that being said it felt high launching yet penetrating in the Rouge. It only felt high launching in the EF. Getting it down to 10.5 gave me back some of that bam off the face so I'm thinking the V2 is still going to work with this head. If not, I still have 4 or 5 shafts at home to mess around with.

My EF came with the Evenflow 55 in stiff flex. Since I enjoyed the V2 HL so much I never even tried the Evenflow shaft.

With any luck I may get a chance at a launch monitor this weekend, fingers crossed, and I'm hoping to get some numbers with shafts and an adjustments.

My new Flash Sub Zero driver and fairway wood should be coming later this week or early next week. I cannot wait to get them on the local trackman simulator and see some numbers! Also I had mine cut down to 44.5 since I am a pretty long player anyways and prefer to be a bit more accurate, how much is that going to affect the swingweight and how can I change it back to a heavier sw? I ordered it with a 70 gram x flex shaft if that helps.

Hey this driver is fun. Quite long too. Playing a course I know well, it’s fun having one less club into greens.

My new Flash Sub Zero driver and fairway wood should be coming later this week or early next week. I cannot wait to get them on the local trackman simulator and see some numbers! Also I had mine cut down to 44.5 since I am a pretty long player anyways and prefer to be a bit more accurate, how much is that going to affect the swingweight and how can I change it back to a heavier sw? I ordered it with a 70 gram x flex shaft if that helps.

Cutting a half inch off mine lowered the SW from D4.5 to D2. I think you can expect about 2 SW change per half inch.

So today I got to see the first Flash Customs driver and the color scheme that @JourdanInMich had was cool.

Here is the funny thing. Our playing partners had the PING G driver and those were noticeably louder than the Flash. I don't know if it was the Custom part or what(kidding) but the sound on this Flash didn't have that ting sound that I've heard at demo shows and in other rounds of golf.

He tagged a few way downtown, took some aggressive lines and had short irons in his hand for more than a few holes. He had a stretch of 3 straight Pars and on 4 or 5 of those holes his driver found every fairway. He played a draw with wind going left to right. I was thinking the wind was going to push it right but it still came back and found the right side of the fairway.

It looked great. Sounded good. And I only out drove him like twice! Hah! A smooth swing sends it, and he sent quite a few including a low line drive bullet into the wind that rolled out considerably!

So today I got to see the first Flash Customs driver and the color scheme that @JourdanInMich had was cool.

Here is the funny thing. Our playing partners had the PING G driver and those were noticeably louder than the Flash. I don't know if it was the Custom part or what(kidding) but the sound on this Flash didn't have that ting sound that I've heard at demo shows and in other rounds of golf.

He tagged a few way downtown, took some aggressive lines and had short irons in his hand for more than a few holes. He had a stretch of 3 straight Pars and on 4 or 5 of those holes his driver found every fairway. He played a draw with wind going left to right. I was thinking the wind was going to push it right but it still came back and found the right side of the fairway.

It looked great. Sounded good. And I only out drove him like twice! Hah! A smooth swing sends it, and he sent quite a few including a low line drive bullet into the wind that rolled out considerably!

I am sold on the tech here. My only truly bad results were on awful swings. Marginally bad through really good swings are rewarded with extreme accuracy, and in a few cases for me today, bombs. I love the sound, feel, and flight. Very pleased with its maiden voyage on course and I can’t wait to see where the flash / apex combo takes me this year. I truly believe that the flash is as laterally forgiving as the g400max.

I hit Epic Flash today with Smoke - there is a lot to like here. I like that the head is such a similar shape to the original, and that the signature Callaway feel has been retained. It was super easy for me to swing this driver and feel right at home.

I hit Epic Flash, TS2, Speedback, and M5 against my original Epic SZ. I have to say that both Epic's not only felt the best to me off the face, but also gave the best consistency of strikes and both overall carry and run out results. Brand familiarity? Despite wanting to, I did not hit TS2, M5, nor Speedback overly well the first time hitting them. The Epic Flash had slightly higher spin, similar launch, and similar ballspeed to my Epic SZ. Dispersion on the Flash was a tad more volatile, but that is possibly the golfer.

After five shots each, average carry, average ballspeed, max ballspeed, and dispersion went to the original Epic SZ. The longest single carry went to Epic Flash, longest with roll out, the M5. This story needs to be more than 5 shots long, my interest is piqued. I need another go round with all of them.

Hey this driver is fun. Quite long too. Playing a course I know well, it’s fun having one less club into greens.

It is very fun. I had a blast hitting it on the range tonight. Thoughts compared to the original?

It is very fun. I had a blast hitting it on the range tonight. Thoughts compared to the original?

Dispersion seems tighter with the identical shaft in it, so that’s nice. Easier to turn the flash over then the Epic, though I’m guessing the APW has something to do with it.

I brought my shorter shaft to the course yesterday but forgot the wrench. Was in a hurry so played it as is. Still seeing a left to right flight usually, playable though. Can probably dial it in better with the adapter and apw but I think the shaft change will be where I want to start.

Seeing some really strong distances for me, even on slight misses. Hit one low yesterday and was legit surprised where the ball ended up.

Cutting a half inch off mine lowered the SW from D4.5 to D2. I think you can expect about 2 SW change per half inch.

How noticeable do you think that is?

How noticeable do you think that is?

I think that it really depends on the player. Not everyone is as perceptive to those types of things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back