Breaking Down Swing Weight

That's good to know. All 3 wedges are D5. I was about to look for different grips

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

When it doubt, it’s always worth looking on the companies website to see what the stock specs are, or are supposed to be.

Bump per request

I'd never thought of it before but I have an Arccos smart sensor on each of my clubs. The sensor weighs 7 grams. I'm going to remove it and see if I can feel any difference.

Another question, when I ordered my driver from Callaway, I ordered it with a midsize grip (63.5 g) built up 4 wraps. With those adds, is SW adjusted to standard for the club (D4 for an EF SZ)?
The Arccos sensor won't affect your swingweight unless you're gripping that high. Then sensor should be well above your gripping point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The Arccos sensor won't affect your swingweight unless you're gripping that high. Then sensor should be well above your gripping point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It does affect SW but I think you mean balance point.

0a356d2504b8ad366159b191a3431cb2.jpg

Just ran to my local shop and checked my swing weights.... yikes, a bit all over.
Added some lead tape to get things in a more consistent range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week I ordered some supplies to adjust the swing weight of a driver project I have going on. I figured I would break down some of the steps involved for those who have not done this before. I am not an experienced clubmaker but I enjoy doing most of my own work.

20190806_140741.jpg

These are some assorted tip weights I ordered from Golfworks. They are inexpensive so I ordered some different options. I want to move the SW from D1 up to D3 so I decided on the 4 gram lead one on the right. It weighed in at 4.5 grams on the scale.

20190806_141032.jpg

When I mocked this up I came upon a small problem. This is a used shaft pulled from a different oem club that uses a deeper adapter. With the tip weight installed the ferrule did not fully cover the sanded tip of the shaft. The Aldila Rogue silver 130 is pretty stout so I did not want to tip it even a 1/4 inch and I do not want to give up any length. I also did not want to wait for a longer ferrule so I came up with a plan. More on ferrules later.

20190806_140818.jpg

I chucked the tip weight in a drill and machined off some material until it became thin enough for the ferrule to cover.

20190806_140846.jpg

It weighed 4.5 grams stock.

20190806_140901.jpg

It weighed 3.5 grams after the modification.

20190806_140920.jpg

About those ferrules, most of them are difficult to install unless you have special ferrule tools. Golfworks has what they call easy to install ferrules. They use epoxy to hold them in place instead of the tight press fit of most ferrules. They are not available in longer lengths and I did not feel like waiting anyway.

20190806_141156.jpg

I ordered these 25 gram grips as an experiment. I think D3 will be fine for me with this driver but if I want to bump it up I could try one of these lightweight grips. I am picky about my grips so I doubt I will like either of these lightweight options. The driver has a replaceable weight in the sole for further adjustability.

This tech came from building iron sets with steel shafts. It doesn't mean that it will work well with graphite shafts and much lighter driver heads. By adding weight to the shaft tip, you are moving the center of gravity of the club head towards the hosel. The SW may be correct, but that doesn't mean the club head will work as design.

It might work or it might be a bust.

That's ditto for the light weight grips (I hate those lightweight Winn grips) that only fool a manual SW balance scale. The scale balance point is designed for a 50g 14" grip. If you use a 25g grip to get the right SW, the scale balance point would need to be moved to accommodate the lighter grip. That's something that's just not possible with a single fixed balance point of a scale designed in the 1930s.

I tried those crummy Winns on multiple clubs after I hacked off an inch, and the clubs felt like feathers. The scale might have been fooled, but I was not; the club(s) SW felt just as light as with the standard 50g grips. I finally just added the inch back to get my clubs to work again. I was young, had less money and a lot more common sense back then. Now, I blow money on shafts, grips, adapters and added weights at the drop of a hat...#$^#%$^^&&!!

You have adjustable weights? Add heavier and/or add another weight. Way easier and you'll get much better results.

Last edited:
This tech came from building iron sets with steel shafts. It doesn't mean that it will work well with graphite shafts and much lighter driver heads. By adding weight to the shaft tip, you are moving the center of gravity of the club head towards the hosel. The SW may be correct, but that doesn't mean the club head will work as design.

It might work or it might be a bust.

That's ditto for the light weight grips (I hate those lightweight Winn grips) that only fool a manual SW balance scale. The scale balance point is designed for a 50g 14" grip. If you use a 25g grip to get the right SW, the scale balance point would need to be moved to accommodate the lighter grip. That's something that's just not possible with a single fixed balance point of a scale designed in the 1930s.

I tried those crummy Winns on multiple clubs after I hacked off an inch, and the clubs felt like feathers. The scale might have been fooled, but I was not; the club(s) SW felt just as light as with the standard 50g grips. I finally just added the inch back to get my clubs to work again. I was young, had less money and a lot more common sense back then. Now, I blow money on shafts, grips, adapters and added weights at the drop of a hat...#$^#%$^^&&!!

You have adjustable weights? Add heavier and/or add another weight. Way easier and you'll get much better results.

I have been playing my driver at D5 and don't mind it being that heavy. This one was D1 when I mocked it up, I did not want to add 8 grams to the tip fearing what you describe. I decided to move it to D3 with the tip weight and see if I like it there. If I want to make it heavier I can get a heavier weight for the sole or try the lightweight grip. I prefer to add weight in different spots to spread it around the head.

I am glad somebody saw that post, crickets up in here. :beauty:

I have purchased 7 of a similar shaft in the course of recent years and their crude shaft specs state 70g; anyway on my scale they have weighed somewhere in the range of 62g up to 70g. The greater part of them come in around 70g.

Looks like the link in the OP isn’t showing up now? Had another message requesting us to repost this one, so here it is! Fun with quarters!

Back