Ben Hogan VKTR Hybrids Review Thread

I'm looking for a 5i replacement that plays like an iron. I want something with a smaller head with more forgiveness than my 5i. I mention the XR Pro because it has a smaller head and forgiveness. The Apex hybo probably fits in that category as well.

I currently have the TEE EX 9 as a 5h, but I'm not really jiving with it right now. I'm finding it too head heavy.

At any rate, is anyone able to comment on the forgiveness of this club versus the XR Pro or Apex? In the alternative, how easy is this club to hit your desired ball flight and target on a scale from 1 - 10?

I just remembered that the highest lofted XR Pro is 23* (I had a 20* and 23*) so unless you have a really strong 5 iron currently, it would not be a good distance replacement (especially given that it plays longer than a comparable iron anyway).

Awesome, thanks for all the great responses. I'll probably do the test run and try to hit it against the Apex to see which one is better for me and worth the extra $$ if I go with the Hogan.

Awesome, thanks for all the great responses. I'll probably do the test run and try to hit it against the Apex to see which one is better for me and worth the extra $$ if I go with the Hogan.

I did demo the Apex as well. For whatever reason, the Kuro Kage line has never been a good fit for me so the demo was just blah. The new IRod in the VKTR though is just perfect for my swing.

I did demo the Apex as well. For whatever reason, the Kuro Kage line has never been a good fit for me so the demo was just blah. The new IRod in the VKTR though is just perfect for my swing.

This is good to know. I'm very intrigued by the IRod and am getting one on a test run for sure. Can't wait to check it out.

This is good to know. I'm very intrigued by the IRod and am getting one on a test run for sure. Can't wait to check it out.
I didn't get many swings with this club in Dallas, but the ones I did get I much preferred the IRod over the alternative.

As I continue to "test" and post on this club, my comments and accolades are almost getting too predictable. I wish that this club would do something goofy (other than my swing) so I would have something different to write about. Once again, the shaft is the real deal, the club just wants to go straight, makes a nice click when you hit it, and you get real distance+ out of it. Even out of the rough, you'll get laser like shots which to me is the major benefit of this club.
I tried moving the weight from top to bottom more during some range times and although there was a distinctive draw/fade in the ball, my normal tendencies to hit the ball straight took over and probably negated any help that the weight would do. It will stay in the back position until I practice more and learn how to utilize the other positions.
If anyone has a doubt about this club, a simple "test drive" should answer all of your questions.

As I continue to "test" and post on this club, my comments and accolades are almost getting too predictable. I wish that this club would do something goofy (other than my swing) so I would have something different to write about. Once again, the shaft is the real deal, the club just wants to go straight, makes a nice click when you hit it, and you get real distance+ out of it. Even out of the rough, you'll get laser like shots which to me is the major benefit of this club.
I tried moving the weight from top to bottom more during some range times and although there was a distinctive draw/fade in the ball, my normal tendencies to hit the ball straight took over and probably negated any help that the weight would do. It will stay in the back position until I practice more and learn how to utilize the other positions.
If anyone has a doubt about this club, a simple "test drive" should answer all of your questions.

I agree with everything you have said. The only time I get into trouble with the club is when I get greedy and try to get more out of it. Not the club's fault, my swing just gets out of sync. Nice, easy, smooth swing and this club just goes straight and high all day long.

How much spin / stopping power are you seeing on approach shots. Can the testers provide feedback about distance / club used / roll out?

How much spin / stopping power are you seeing on approach shots. Can the testers provide feedback about distance / club used / roll out?

plenty to hold a green, even on mishits. i think i had 210 or 215 a couple rounds ago when i was playing like a turd, and i thinned one that hit the green and stopped within 10-15' of its pitchmark. that was VERY impressive. on well-struck shots with the weight in the back, absolutely no issues holding a green.

Have had several shots in the 175-190 range with my 23* and had them stop within 3-8' on average. Those all are either from the fairway or light rough. Only used it on a par 3 once and I missed the green right.

I have yet to hit a green with this club and not have it hold.

I've hit greens on par 3's (about 170 yards) my last 2 rounds and the ball has ended up 5'-8' from where it landed. I went looking for the ball mark and was surprised with how close it was to the ball. There have also been a few times on approach shots where I catch it a little thin (trying to hit it harder than normal) and the ball hit the green but went on through. My fault, not the club. When struck correctly the ball holds.

Oh..my club is 20 degrees with iRoD regular flex shaft

The times that I have used it, was mainly out of the rough or off the deck and distances were easy 190+ to over 200 yards with some roll out. I think that I only made it on the green a few times but didn't have problems holding the green as long as you hit a nice high shot.

I finally got a chance to check these out in person, they aren't as compact as I was expecting from the pictures, didn't get a chance to swing it, the bays were full, but really loved the look in person.

My 24* is my 200 yard club. Off a tee into a green most shots have stopped within several feet and from the fairway they will roll out a few more but nothing beyond 10 feet. From the rough of course the results really vary and I play for more of a running shot anyway.

Another successful outing with this thing.

1st shot with it - 160 par 3 from elevated tee. Choked down on it and landed pin high. Rolled out 4 feet from it's landing spot.

2nd shot - After my drive, I was left with 240 yards to the green. I'd normally grab my 3 wood and pray I didn't top or slice it. I don't need to reach the green...it's a par 5. Why take a chance and hit a club that will still leave me short even if I hit it perfectly. I went with the VKTR on this one because I have gained so much confidence in it. Had a great lie from the fairway and hit another majestic, straight, high shot. Measured with my gps and it traveled 190 yards. Easy chip and 2 putt for par!

3rd shot - Found myself off the fairway and under the trees. Had a nice opening but I had to keep it low. I was 130 yards to the center of the green. Run through my short list of options and decide on the VKTR hybrid yet again. Half back swing with a low follow through. Connect with the ball solidly and flies low right out beneath the trees. Ends up about 15 yards shy of the green but i'm out of trouble and looking a a chip (with my chipper) and a putt to save par. Ended up 2 putting but was happy to get out of the trouble I was in.

201b4ad457f6bc64ceee7ed21ebe6a1b.jpg

(from left to right I went between and under trees #2 and #3)

I'm definitely going to look into getting higher lofts and to replace another iron. I'm really enjoying this club (and this from a guy who could never hit a hybrid with any consistency or confidence).

Last edited:
For my next round I'm going to move the weight around to see if there is a difference. I feel that I have enough swings with it that I now know what to expect from its current configuration and be able to know right away if the flight is different. Right now I have it set for draw bias.

Thanks for posting this question. Being a short hitter, a hybrid that can reliably hold the green could easily have a spot in my bag.

Played 36 this weekend, yesterday in tournament, today with a buddy of mine. I really prefer this club over any other hybrid right now, and will likely be picking up a 26 or 27* to replace my 5I/5H.

My swing was about as bad as it has been in the last month, and it gave me several opportunities to hit hybrids. The VKTR was actually quite a bit more forgiving than the Apex 26* I also have in the bag, although some if it might be the shaft. When I put a good swing on it I got a good result, when I put a mediocre swing on it I got a better than expected result.

Don't get me wrong, these aren't max forgiveness hybrids, but they are so much more forgiving than a similarly lofted long iron it is crazy. When I have missed a green or even a tee shot I was never in a really bad place and had a good look at my next shot.

After next weekend (54 holes in 3 days) I will get a more full length write up for this club, but anyone that has been following this thread knows it will likely be glowing.

After playing a few rounds this weekend with the weight in the toe side I come to find out that the weight in the back is more to my liking. While I did get the necessary draw, sometimes it was more than I needed considering where I was at on the course. I still struggle with being at a set place knowing I have to move the ball X amount of yards to the left and then aiming it right of the target and hoping it would draw in. Maybe I'll get better with these clubs in doing that I don't know however all I do know is that these clubs work extremely well for me with the weight in the back. The more I hit this club the better my hits (center of the face) are. This club won't be leaving my bag soon!

Had an up and down round (usually do) but best shot of the day was on 18. After a poopy drive had 180 slightly uphill. Hit the 23* VKTR with a slight fade and had 10' for birdie.

Sank the putt, was a great way to finish the day. Will get more thoughts up next week as have 36 with a bunch of THPers the next 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have slowed down a bit on the posting as I feel my comments becoming redundant. This remains a extremely consistent performer for me with very predictable results; while maybe not forgiving in everyone's sense (for me I lose a fair bit of distance on bigger misses), my misses are straight. Feel is unmatched by any other hybrid that I have ever tried and I think I probably have at least demoed 90% of the hybrids out in the last five years. I find myself taking 3/4 swings to substitute for my 5 iron and I would definitely replace it if I had the money and the VKTR came in a comparable loft.

Played a quick nine with my brother and my boys last night and used the VKTR off 4 tees on par 4s. The fairways and rough areas are rock hard and very penal to misses so needed the control of the Hogan. Averaged about 215 with each shot (carry and roll) and left the ball in the perfect spot on each of the 4 doglegs. Also hit a nice little cut off the tee of the 200 yard par 3 and left myself about 15" for birdie. Had to steal the VKTR back from my brother who hit it even more than me. I customarily give him any of my clubs he loves (he has my Wishon single length set now) but told him the Hogan was off limits.

Bringing this thread around again for two reasons...

- Was in GS last night and walked up on a Hogan Demo bag full of PTx irons and VKTR Hybrids; I'm going to have to decide between a VKTR 19* or 20* and add one of these.

- Needed to re-read all the positive thoughts in this thread to reinforce my decision to add one of these to my bag.

Bringing this thread around again for two reasons...

- Was in GS last night and walked up on a Hogan Demo bag full of PTx irons and VKTR Hybrids; I'm going to have to decide between a VKTR 19* or 20* and add one of these.

- Needed to re-read all the positive thoughts in this thread to reinforce my decision to add one of these to my bag.

i really love the club. it's by no means the most forgiving or the longest or the highest. but neither are my irons. this hybrid can be shaped and flighted, and it sets up so well behind the ball. as an iron replacement, it's perfect for what i want. if i wanted a super hot launcher, i'd look elsewhere.

Back