OldeDude

--Still Alive and Well--
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
--17--
Lots of new wedges coming to the market lately, has me thinking about updating mine, which got me thinking about what I carry and how I use them. Of course I have my set PW (44*), and I also carry a 50* mid-bounce CB, a 56* mid-bounce MB, and a 60* low-bounce MB. The PW is primarily full shots, the 50* is full shots, 3/4 and 1/2 shots, and my primary chipping club, the 56* is full shots and from the sand on the rare occasion I play a course that has good greenside bunkers, the 60* is occasional full shots, around the greens when I need the added loft, and from most of the minimum sand over hardpan bunkers I routinely play from.

So, what wedges do you carry, and how do you use them?

Last edited:
OldeDude;n8882903 said:
Lots of new wedges coming to the market lately, has me thinking about updating mine, which got me thinking about what I carry and how I use them. Of course I have my set PW, and I also carry a 50* mid-bounce CB, a 56* mid-bounce MB, and a 60* low-bounce MB. The PW is primarily full shots, the 50* is full shots, 3/4 and 1/2 shots, and my primary chipping club, the 56* is full shots and from the sand on the rare occasion I play a course that has good greenside bunkers, the 60* is occasional full shots, around the greens when I need the added loft, and from most of the minimum sand over hardpan bunkers I routinely play from.

So, what wedges do you carry, and how do you use them?

Set PW is full shots for me. Then 3 SM7's in 50 54 and 58. I use the 50 for full and partial shots and it is my go to around the green for chips. 54 is bunker only. 58 is for bunker and flops around the green.

For me, my 58* wedge is a true workhorse from inside of 60 yards, everything from 1/2 swing knockdowns through gentle greenside chips. I use my 54* from 60-90 yards and generally out of the sand where I have to carry a distance more than 10 yards. My 50* wedge is for full shots from 100-115.

I carry 50, 54, and 58. They are all used for full shots, 3/4 shots, and pitches. The 50 is my primary chipper, though I can chip with either of the other two if the circumstances require more loft/check when chipping onto the green. The 58* is my universal tool anywhere inside of 85 yards. It has what I think most call a 'tour grind' which allows me to open it up for those more 'finesse' shots.

~Rock

• 45 Deg PW - exclusively full shots. It matches my JPX 900 forged set.
  • 50 Deg Wedge, 10 deg bounce - full shots and shots around the green when I can flight it low and let it run out.
  • 54 Deg Wedge 12 deg bounce - full shots and bunker shots in very soft, fluffy bunkers or very soft conditions around the green.
  • 58 Deg Wedge 8 deg bounce - full shots and my wedge around the green and in the bunkers most of the time. I can open it up, close it and do all sorts of things with it to get the shot I desire.
Wedge play continues to save me. It's about the only thing I do well on the course right now.

Right now, I have a 52, 56, 60, and a 64 that I rotate depending on my mood. I have made an effort to use my 56 a lot more for partial shots that used to be my 60. I have gotten pretty decent with it to the point where I pretty much don't use my 60 at all anymore. So, I think next season I am going to redo my gapping and go 52, 58, 64. Depending on what my fitter thinks that is.

My set PW is 44°, my gap wedge is a newer Bridgestone XW-1 52°. I use this from 105-120ish and for bump and runs I need to keep a little lower. My sand wedge is a 56° Callaway MD4 that I use inside 105 yards, around the green and to leave bunker shots in the bunker.

46/50/54/58. All are full swing clubs when needed, the 54/58 can be used for partial swings around 90 yards and in, and the 58 is used exclusively around greens (low chips, high pitch/flop, bunker, etc.)

I currently carry a 48, 52, and 56. The first two are my primary longer range wedges with the 56 being mainly for sand and/or semi-lobs near the green.

set pw - full swings, some partial swings, some greenside runner chips
set aw - full swings, some partial swings, most greenside runner chips
specialty sw - full swings, partial swings, most greenside pitches, most sand shots
specialty lw - full swings, partial swings, flops, some pitches, some sand shots

If I'm going to pitch the ball or play any sort of partial shot, something with a heavy shaft and plenty of bounce like my Vokey wedges works better than a "set" wedge.

For full swings I seem to do about equally well with a Vokey or a "set wedge".

And for little bump and runs from short of the green (toe down, dead hands shoulder swing, almost no air time) those are being done with a 7-iron or 8-iron so the wedges don't come into play.

The one place I'm caught in between is maybe once every 3-4 rounds the ideal shot would be an extended-range "pitch" shot from maybe 40-50 yards. If there's nothing but short grass between me and the hole I'd just as soon not hit it way up in the air with a 3/4 LW or something. But my strongest Vokey (50 degree) won't really produce that shot. So I end up "pitching" the ball with an 8-iron from my iron set. The lightweight shafts and less-bounce soles are not ideal.

I am a 50/54/58 set up guy. My 50 is my set AW and is the last club in the bag that I uses a full swing with. The 54 is the workhorse inside of 100yds and the 58 is usually the wedge for greenside bunkers or rough. depending on the lie, i will pull anything from an 8i on down if it helps me get closer to the hole.

I carry a 50, 54 and 60. I hit full and partial shots with all of them but use the 60° most often.

I carry too many!! PW, AW, then a 54, a 56 and a 60. I mainly carry the 54 just to have 14 clubs in the bag, but I am considering going to a 55 degree and dropping the 54 and the 56 since. Just gotta make up my mind between the 55 PM Grind or the CBX2.

PW, 50, 56, 60 I hit them all everywhere from full to little pitches.

My go to club is the 56, for everything 80 and in.

Another thought on this, I've had these Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges for about 4 yeas now (can't believe its been that long), and still really like them, but wonder if its time to update/freshen that part of the bag. Thinking maybe Cleveland CBX 2 in the 50* spot, and RTX 4 in the 56* and 60*.

How often do you replace your wedges?

I carry a pw(set), 50/56/60

Im thinking of changing the 50 to the set GW, keep the 56 or maybe make it a 54 ish, and then keep the 60 but either get a PM grind or Tmade Hi-toe

OldeDude;n8883905 said:
Another thought on this, I've had these Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges for about 4 yeas now (can't believe its been that long), and still really like them, but wonder if its time to update/freshen that part of the bag. Thinking maybe Cleveland CBX 2 in the 50* spot, and RTX 4 in the 56* and 60*.

How often do you replace your wedges?

I hate bumping my own thread, but really would appreciate some input on the above. Thanks.

My set PW is 44* (specs say 45 but I had loft measured when I was buying my wedges)
Then I go with three 1st generation CBX wedges 48* - 54* - 60*

I built a matrix that goes from 40 yards out to 140 yards (in 5 yard increments) for normal approaches when I'm just trying to stuff a canned shot from a specific distance. I try to maintain the same tempo and speed for all those shots and just vary the club and length of the swing. All 4 of those wedges along with my set 9i and 8i are built into that matrix. I used to believe (adamantly) that I was more consistent varying distances with just one or two 'go to scoring clubs' but I learned the matrix method suits me way better.

I play most greenside bunker shots with either the 54* or 60* CBX, lie and shot dictate which, probably favors 54* about 60/40.
Short pitches are the same except the use ratio probably favors the 60* about 60/40.
Most chips are played with either my PW, 48*, or 54*. Just depends on where/how I want it to land and roll out.

Set PW, 53*, 58*, 62*

All are used for full shots, pitches, chips, and bunkers.

I carry a PW, 50, 56, 60

I used to think i was a pretty darn good wedge player, but when I got to using Arccos about a year or so ago, I found out, my putting was just saving my butt a lot haha. With that info though, I changed my strategy with my wedge game and now use all 4 of those intermittently based on what I am trying to accomplish. I moved from basically using the 60 all the time to fly it to the hole and stop it to introducing more of a ground game to my play. Because of that, I am saving par/bogey a lot more often and I have become a single digit player and seem to be staying in that range for more than just one handicap revision period haha.

Basically I use my PW for full shots down to about 115, 50* is for anything 105 down to about 80 ish and the 56* is used for almost everything else. The 60* is for mainly shorter chips greenside, bunker shots, and if I need to flop a shot up and over. Most of the shots described above are smooth swings to hit it lower with some spin, but allowing for rollout if needed.

I currently carry 4 wedges 52-54-56-58. I know it sounds weird, but it works for me, mainly because of my iron play. I'm working on a few things that could get rid of one of my wedges and change my gapping.

I dont have a set PW.

I play 48*, 54*, and then 60*.

48 and 54 are rtx4 mid bounce. The 48 is basically a pretty full grind, 54* is a v grind. 8* and 10* of bounce respectively. Both are used mostly for full shots, but will be used green side when needed. 54* will occasionally be used out of the sand.

60* is a vokey low bounce K. It has wide sole and 6* of bounce. This is my workhorse within 95 yards. It has majority of my sand duty as well.

Probably for my next set I'm going to look at moving towards a different makeup with 58* as my highest lofted wedge. Probably do a 47*, 53*, 58*. Will need to figure out my yardage gaps before making a move. I just wish more wedge makers made raw wedges and in the high lofted PW lofts. Just not a fan of the look of most pitching wedges right now.

PW, 48 (Bent 46.5 depending on iron set in play), 54, 60

PW, 48, 54 are full and touch shots.

60 is ONLY for partial swings and 75Y and in.

Ping G400 PW (133 yards) and Gap Wedge (120 yards) then Ping Glide 2.0 stealth's in 54 (100 yards) and 60 (70 yards).

Last year I played 52-56-60 in Cleveland CBX and didn't really love them so I replaced them with the stealth's. I've spent a bunch of time honing my skills this year with 3/4 type shots between 50-100 to hit those in-between yardages and I'm really loving the 54 and 60. So much so that I'm thinking about replacing my G400 gap wedge with a 50 degree Glide 3.0. The G400 U wedge is so big, bulky, so much offset that it doesn't inspire confidence in anything other than a full swing (could just be mental for me). I have a Glide 2.0 in 52* already that doesn't quite yardage gap quite right, plus the 3.0 looks like a different club, more forgiving, maybe slightly bigger, a smidge of offset, different shaft... seems like it could be a transitional club between my iron set and my wedges. And the type of club I'd love hitting some 3/4 type shots with.

Back