Tech Talk: Callaway Epic Forged Irons

Tenputt;n8886158 said:
This is a quote from Scott Manwaring (sp?), Callaway’s director of iron design:

“”You can say it’s a 3-iron based on the specs, but when we see average golfers hit these clubs, the quality of the shot and the potential for miss is actually closer to their 5-iron. It’s amazing that people still hit that 5-iron that well, but we’ve done all these technology enhancements and that lets them hit it better than they hit their 3-iron. So they start to associate it as a 5-iron because that’s the quality of shot they’ve seen with their 5-iron.””

It is the direct response to those who argue simply “jacked lofts.” If I can get the distance of a 6 iron out of my 8 iron, but the quality of my shots remains equivalent to my 8 iron, now l really have something that will help my game.

Isn’t that how people should be thinking, if they dig past the surface?

This is why I took the gamble, if I can gain or retain the distance and my misses are better it should help bring the scores down. Since I have played lower lofted clubs for a while now what number it is does not make any difference.

Canadan;n8886282 said:
Nice dude!! Really pumped for your feedback.

I think I can have some fun testing the long irons and comparing them to the Apex 19 a bit too.

Jman;n8886916 said:
I think I can have some fun testing the long irons and comparing them to the Apex 19 a bit too.

I look forward to the comparison, even though they will have different shafts. I am interested in seeing launch, peak height and descent comparisons.

Tenputt;n8887102 said:
I look forward to the comparison, even though they will have different shafts. I am interested in seeing launch, peak height and descent comparisons.

All things you know I shall cover, haha!

I'm eager to get into it, should be a lot of fun for sure.

The passion that Dnevs talks about these, makes me want to spend more time with them.

Back