The Scratch Golfer Awakens

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
If someone wanted to become a scratch golfer, what would be a reasonable 10 wks plan.

Time and hard work included.

Best areas to focus. Type of instruction and information. Training aids.

The skies the limit

All opinions welcomed from any and all handicaps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

To go from a 20 handicap to scratch in 10 weeks?
The best plan would be prayer.
Get the most forgiving equipment out there. Learn to make every putt inside of 15 feet.

No chance from 20 to scratch in 10 weeks. I don't see it being remotely possible

I'm going to say it's impossible in 10 weeks.

To go from a 20 handicap to scratch in 10 weeks?
The best plan would be prayer.
Get the most forgiving equipment out there. Learn to make every putt inside of 15 feet.
Just for organizing and planning I was considering 10 week cycles to be optimal. Then goals and objectives could be adjusted.

Savant like skill and capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savant like skill and capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tried prayer. So far God is not listening

I think that's a lot asking in a 10 week period. There could be a swing change alone that could take several months.

Without a swing change, get forgiving equipment, understand your misses & be deadly with wedges and putter.

I'm going to say it's impossible in 10 weeks.
I guess I should have used the word cycles. Like Body Building. You start with a goal and stick to your plan.

A 2-4 year plan would likely be more realistic, unless you're just eaten up with natural athletic talent.

Getting from a 20 to a 15 is relatively easy. Getting from a 15-to-10 is probably doubly as hard. Getting from 10-to-6 is probably doubly hard again. And then it continues to get exponentially harder to get from there to scratch.

My advice (for whatever advice from a high-handicapper is worth):

1) Work with a pro. While it's possible to get their by yourself, you're likely reducing your chances by a HUGE margin if you're not working with a qualified teaching pro.

2) Spend the majority of your time practicing short game and putting.

3) Play probably 60% and practice 40%. (Of course some of your playing can be turned into practice too, hitting shots from multiple locations, etc, if the course is slow)

4) If you plan to play any kind of tournament golf, follow every rule as much as possible even in casual rounds. This will improve your chances of playing well in tournaments.

Did not read the entire blog, but how long did it take him to get to a 3.3 handicap

Pretty much since he started until now (5 years). There are also those that have serious doubts about his handicap.

I guess I should have used the word cycles. Like Body Building. You start with a goal and stick to your plan.

that would make more sense. Still a long road, but I get what you are saying now.

I think that's a lot asking in a 10 week period. There could be a swing change alone that could take several months.

Without a swing change, get forgiving equipment, understand your misses & be deadly with wedges and putter.
I was recently reading Ben Hogan's Five Lessons. He believed everyone could play in the 70's.

I won't mind even playing from the Forward tee's if distance was the only factor holding me back.

Your best bet would be realistic goals, shave off 5-7 1st season, 4-5 next, the farther down you go the harder it is to shave the strokes off, take your age into consideration, if your 40+ target a 10 since distance is going to dwindle

A 2-4 year plan would likely be more realistic, unless you're just eaten up with natural athletic talent.

Getting from a 20 to a 15 is relatively easy. Getting from a 15-to-10 is probably doubly as hard. Getting from 10-to-6 is probably doubly hard again. And then it continues to get exponentially harder to get from there to scratch.

My advice (for whatever advice from a high-handicapper is worth):

1) Work with a pro. While it's possible to get their by yourself, you're likely reducing your chances by a HUGE margin if you're not working with a qualified teaching pro.

2) Spend the majority of your time practicing short game and putting.

3) Play probably 60% and practice 40%. (Of course some of your playing can be turned into practice too, hitting shots from multiple locations, etc, if the course is slow)

4) If you plan to play any kind of tournament golf, follow every rule as much as possible even in casual rounds. This will improve your chances of playing well in tournaments.
Okay let's just say below 10.0 handicap. And let's agree to work with a teaching Pro. Likewise let's agree that it may be a 24-48 month time period.

So what would a 10 week cycle look like to start the journey.

Your best bet would be realistic goals, shave off 5-7 1st season, 4-5 next, the farther down you go the harder it is to shave the strokes off, take your age into consideration, if your 40+ target a 10 since distance is going to dwindle
Okay but exactly how do you shave 4-6 strokes a year.

Okay let's just say below 10.0 handicap. And let's agree to work with a teaching Pro. Likewise let's agree that it may be a 24-48 month time period.

I'm not qualified to advise you on specific drills or a practice plan. I'll let Freddie handle that.

Try over 50+

Took me the entire 2015 season to get from a 5 to a 3, and the difference in scoring between those two hcaps was pretty huge. Seriously, If you figure it out, I will be your apprentice. I will do anything you ask.

Took me the entire 2015 season to get from a 5 to a 3, and the difference in scoring between those two hcaps was pretty huge. Seriously, If you figure it out, I will be your apprentice. I will do anything you ask.
Lol. Master Yoda I'm stuck at 20. Lol

But maybe there's a way.

Seek and ye shall find

Nothing really changes much. It's hard work and the right instruction. It's all about putting the time in to become consistent and accurate. Putting and wedge game can take you a long way. Putt and chip every day for a couple of hours. The first 10 weeks wouldn't really change much from the next 10. It's just time and practice. A good pro can put you on the right track as to what to practice when, but golf is about the ability to consistently bring the club where it needs to be. Muscle memory and hand eye coordination are huge. If those aren't extremely natural for you, you'll need to put a lot of time in to make it natural.

But IMO it's not something like first 10 weeks driver, next 10 irons and so on.

I was recently reading Ben Hogan's Five Lessons. He believed everyone could play in the 70's.

I won't mind even playing from the Forward tee's if distance was the only factor holding me back.

I have not read the book, but would imagine a certain level of golf proficiency would be needed to play in the 70's regardless of tees.

I started 2014 somewhere around an 18 hcap. I worked with a pro to get my swing in order and that year I only got down to a 13. In 2015 I continued a dim currently ending at a 10.8 this year.

I post this to give you perspective on my journey and what it took. Could I have done it quicker, sure, but golf is fun and I didn't want to get burnt out chasing a number or a vanity hcap (not saying you are)

Back