Is Rory's Career Disappointing?

Before some go crazy, hear me out. First, this is only even a though based on the incredibly high bar he created for himself. Second, his career is certainly not over and he could turn it around any week and breakthrough in any major.

With that said a look at the last few years offers this.

Only a single victory on the PGA Tour since the beginning of 2017.
His last major victory was 2014
His last stretch at #1 in the world was 2015

He created this "Next Big Thing" with huge success early on. Is he a victim of it, and anything less is disappointing?

I'd say his career is as disappointing as Dustin Johnson's career is. Neither can win with the consistency we saw with Tiger.

Otherwise, incredible careers.

Mark Crossfield just did an interesting video comparing stats between Rory and Tiger at their primes (2014, and 2000 respectively). Very similar. Rory has the skill set to dominate, he just hasn't been able to - I think that's where the disappointment comes from. He's still young enough to have a big run over the next 5-6 years, though, and potentially stay relevant into his 40s if he avoids injury.

I have weighted in on this already but I will add that to me it isnt that Rory or DJ or Justins careers arent so much dissapopinting but that Tigers has been so amazing. Who knows if they were born in Tigers era they would have been his equal. Hard to quantify. If my bank account and my enjoyment of life equaled what theirs appears to be I would be pretty happy. Which is the point after all versus living up to the expectations of strangers.

I'd love to know genuinely how much time he invests into getting better at the game. He's got nearly 50 million in winnings, and an endless supply of cash from Nike. When you're a great player, but you look at the record books and see some of the impossible to break records staring back, maybe he just got to a point and shrugged. Cruise control activated.

That’s kind of what I think too. To be in the conversation to be the GOAT, you have to not only be supremely talented, you have to 100% All In commit to it as well. It feels like his level of commitment isn’t on the same level as those that are in the conversation to be the GOAT.

He also lacks that killer mentality. Tigers final round opponents were beat before they teed off on Sunday when he was in his prime. Everyone knew that he was going to win the tournament. He’d sink that putt when it counted. He’d knock it close when it counted. He was going to break you at some point, so they were playing for second.

No, still.

Saw this and remembered this thread.

:confused2:

Saw this and remembered this thread.

:confused2:

If you read over the first post and not the title it makes more sense? ?

It’s about a bar he created and in May when this was posted I believe there was merit.

I think Rory will win 2 majors in 2020. His game this year has been incredible. He's too good to go much longer without winning another major and if he wins one, he could easily win another.

Before some go crazy, hear me out. First, this is only even a though based on the incredibly high bar he created for himself. Second, his career is certainly not over and he could turn it around any week and breakthrough in any major.

With that said a look at the last few years offers this.

Only a single victory on the PGA Tour since the beginning of 2017.
His last major victory was 2014
His last stretch at #1 in the world was 2015

He created this "Next Big Thing" with huge success early on. Is he a victim of it, and anything less is disappointing?

I think that every thing you said was at that time completely correct. I do feel though that Rory is in a better spot in many aspects of his life and career and to my eyes appears to be more motivated. I am expecting a big year from him in 2020. I predict he will win a major and will ranked number one at the end of the year.

Back