Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change The FedEx Cup Playoffs

You are hired to make the FedEx Cup playoffs matter more to the fans. It is your sole task to create a season long race and playoffs that both work and keep people interested.

What would you do and why?
    In my 2018 #TheGrandaddy THP Event Bag

Driver:
    Epic Flash w/ Helium Shaft 45"
    Driver 2: XXIO Prime w/
    Custom THP HZRDUS Shaft 43.5"
    Fairway Wood:
    JGR
    Hybrids:
    Launcher HB
    Irons: Apex 19 w/ Recoil Proto 95
    Wedges:
    CBX 50* and RTX-4 56* & 60* PM Grind 19
    Putter:
    #7S
    Balls:
    Chrome Soft X

People love brackets. Do match play for the top 125 or so, and spread it out over the 3/4 events. Top couple spots get byes through the first few rounds or something.

Stroke play with giving people strokes or having the weird point system is hard for people to understand or get behind. It needs to be something different from the rest of the year.
    Callaway: Epic 9*
    Callaway: Rouge SZ 13.5*
    Callaway: XR 16 pro 18*
    Callaway: X-forged UT 21*
    Srixon: Z765 5-PW
    Vokey: SM6 48 SM5 54/58
    Toulon: Garage Atlanta

Comment

For me right now it's not about the lack of interest in the playoffs, its a lack of interest in the tour. I blame the schedule and having the majors wrapped up by mid-July. I thought the playoff scheduling worked better when there was the WGC, PGA, Wyndham, and then get right into it. Gave me a reason not to really check out mentally.

My curiosity will hit me come East Lake with that new scoring format.
      Want to know what's in my FlexTech Bag Here ya go!

Cortex w/Aldila Rogue Silver 125 Stiff
      G410 5 wood
      Steelhead XR Heavenwood
      Apex 4 & 5 hybrid
      Apex '19 Combo 6-AW w/Catalyst 100 6.0
      New Level M-Type 56 & 60
      Spider X

Comment

Originally posted by cbaker2882 View Post
        People love brackets. Do match play for the top 125 or so, and spread it out over the 3/4 events. Top couple spots get byes through the first few rounds or something.

Stroke play with giving people strokes or having the weird point system is hard for people to understand or get behind. It needs to be something different from the rest of the year.
        Nailed it. Close the thread down!

Ping G410 10*
        Taylormade P-790 A-4
        Ping G400 Hybrid 17*
        Cobra F7 5 Wood
        Callaway MD4 55* 60*
        Scotty Cameron Newport Blade
        SNell MTB X

Comment

There is no way they are doing match play when no one would watch a Webb Simpson v Tony Finau match if it came down to that. Match is so random it would often come down to that or something similar to it. No matter what at East Lake they get 30 dudes and nearly all the best players in the world.

I have a solution, just dont do it. The Majors are all that matter to anyone but the biggest golf fans and we would all watch the Tour Championship anyway.
          Epic Flash 10.5* EvenFlow Black 65g 6.0
          917 F2 16.5* HZRDUS EvenFlow White 75g 6.0
          CBX 119 20* hybrid with EvenFlow Blue 70g 6.0
          JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 R
          Vokey SM7 54.08 M Dynamic Gold Wedge
          Hi Toe 60 KBS Wedge 2.0
          Precision Milled BHB02 Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Proud member of TEEm in 2019!!

Comment

Originally posted by DataDude View Post
            There is no way they are doing match play when no one would watch a Webb Simpson v Tony Finau match if it came down to that. Match is so random it would often come down to that or something similar to it. No matter what at East Lake they get 30 dudes and nearly all the best players in the world.

I have a solution, just dont do it. The Majors are all that matter to anyone but the biggest golf fans and we would all watch the Tour Championship anyway.
            I think you nailed it here. There has to be a general interest and risking getting two randoms is a tough one.

Driver:
            Fairway Wood:
            JGR
            Hybrids:
            Launcher HB
            Wedges:
            Putter:
            #7S
            Balls:
            Chrome Soft X

Comment

Originally posted by ddec View Post
              For me right now it's not about the lack of interest in the playoffs, its a lack of interest in the tour. I blame the schedule and having the majors wrapped up by mid-July. I thought the playoff scheduling worked better when there was the WGC, PGA, Wyndham, and then get right into it. Gave me a reason not to really check out mentally.

My curiosity will hit me come East Lake with that new scoring format.
              Do you think it is the schedule or more the year? Post Masters was tough this year with Tiger missing cuts and not playing. Did you have interest in the Open? Or was it already gone at that point? Because next year with the Olympics it gets even more challenging.

Driver:
              Fairway Wood:
              JGR
              Hybrids:
              Launcher HB
              Wedges:
              Putter:
              #7S
              Balls:
              Chrome Soft X

Comment

There is too much money in it for everyone to let that happen. $10M + all the tv spots, merchandise, etc it just wouldn't happen.
                Driver: TS2 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
                Fairways: TS2 13.5* & TS2 19* HZRDUS Smoke
                Irons: 718 T-MB 4-iron & AP3 5-PW Pxi 5.5 MCC Align
                Wedges: Vokeys SM6 48*, 52*, 56*
                Putter: Newport
                Ball: ProV1

2017 Ultimate Club Testing Event w/ Titleist
                2018 THP Championship
                2019 ????

"Competitive golf is played on a 5 1/2 inch course ... the space between your ears."

Comment

Is there any reasoning behind not having a major as the last event of the year? The way I see it - the Fed Ex is never going to be that important - it's just an overall add-on to an entire seasons worth of work. The equivalent of winning an MVP in a way. I'm not sure this is possible - short of adding another major - but it would maybe send the year out with a bang instead of a whimper.

Most major sports end the year with a championship, it would just seem that ending the season with a Major would handle that.
                  In my Grom Stand Bag
                  ST190 Driver with Accra TZ6
                  ST180 3 Wood/5 Wood with Tensei Blue
                  Sub70 939X Hybrid 4
                  M4 (5-PW with Recoil SMACWRAP 780 shafts)
                  54 Milled Grind & 58 Milled Grind Hi Toe
                  Spider X
                  Current ball: TP5X & Velocity

Comment

Originally posted by Nappy View Post
                    Is there any reasoning behind not having a major as the last event of the year? The way I see it - the Fed Ex is never going to be that important - it's just an overall add-on to an entire seasons worth of work. The equivalent of winning an MVP in a way. I'm not sure this is possible - short of adding another major - but it would maybe send the year out with a bang instead of a whimper.

Most major sports end the year with a championship, it would just seem that ending the season with a Major would handle that.
                    I actually like this idea, but how do you do the race to make it matter?

Driver:
                    Fairway Wood:
                    JGR
                    Hybrids:
                    Launcher HB
                    Wedges:
                    Putter:
                    #7S
                    Balls:
                    Chrome Soft X

Comment

First, I would change the name. You ask a casual fan or someone like my wife that doesn't follow professional golf what the FedEx Cup is and they have no idea. You ask a casual football fan what the Super Bowl is or a non-baseball fan what the World Series is, they know. Second, the golf majors need to be worth more points. Third, it is way too hard for casual people to understand the points system or care about the "playoffs." It is too much like NASCAR and no one but the true fans know anything about the "chase for the cup" or how people get in and what-not. I don't care if they start with 125 golfers and then cut it in half, but at some point they need to make some kind of bracket that is easy to understand. I have no idea who the good women's basketball teams are and will not follow it all year, but come tournament time, it is easy to see it is a big deal when #11 Missouri State knocks off #3 Iowa State in the tournament. Finally, if they want to get casual people to care, make the final 32 or 16 players match play. People care more when playoffs are team vs team or mano a mano. It won't happen, but it would be more entertaining for the masses.

I love golf and kind of follow the PGA Tour. I still don't care at all about the Fed Ex Cup and it is hard to even explain to someone how someone wins and the standings.
                      4.5, 14way
                      ARCCOS sensors on all clubs
                      CP2 midsize grips
                      XR16 driver set to 10.5 deg with R flex Bassara 42 shaft
                      GBB fairway woods (2015) with Kuro Kage Black 50 (3W/5W/Heavenwood) set to 15/18/21 degrees
                      2019 Big Bertha 5-AW irons steel shaft (regular)
                      CBX 54 deg and 58 deg wedges
                      33" Red Ball putter
                      Chromesoft X Triple Track

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                        You are hired to make the FedEx Cup playoffs matter more to the fans. It is your sole task to create a season long race and playoffs that both work and keep people interested.

What would you do and why?
                        Golf tradition is that the four Majors matter most, both to the players as well as fans.
                        As the PGA Tour does not own any of the four Majors, to compensate in recent years it has tried to create money grabs such as the President's Cup and Playoffs. Moving the PGA from August to May was the PGA Tour's latest attempt at creating Playoff interest, and all this move has done is disrespect the PGA Championship.
                        At this time I would like to see the PGA return to its rightful August event time, and discontinue the FedEx Playoffs as it was never a good sense idea.
                        Last edited by DG_1234; 08-14-2019, 01:25 PM.
                        Driver: Ping G400 LST Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S
                        Fairway metals: Cleveland Launcher HB 15* Miyazaki C.Kua 5S
                        Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher HB 19* Miyazaki C.Kua 6S
                        Irons: Ping G700 4-SW Project X LZ 5.5
                        Wedge: Ping G400 58* LW Project X LZ 5.5
                        Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 w/ putter grip

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

Do you think it is the schedule or more the year? Post Masters was tough this year with Tiger missing cuts and not playing. Did you have interest in the Open? Or was it already gone at that point? Because next year with the Olympics it gets even more challenging.
                          I had interest in The Open but had zero interest in the WGC event the following week. The run up to the Masters was fun, although I think it always is. The PGA seemed rushed, and then all of a sudden the season felt like it was major championship or bust. TIger winning and then being out or playing crappy definitely hurts, no doubt about it. But man, I'm usually a guy who enjoys watching the coverage thursday/friday when I'm at work, and then catching as much as possible on the weekend. But this year has really failed to capture my attention outside of the majors and Jacks tournament post Masters.
                          Want to know what's in my FlexTech Bag Here ya go!

Cortex w/Aldila Rogue Silver 125 Stiff
                          G410 5 wood
                          Steelhead XR Heavenwood
                          Apex 4 & 5 hybrid
                          Apex '19 Combo 6-AW w/Catalyst 100 6.0
                          New Level M-Type 56 & 60
                          Spider X

Comment

Single elimination match play. That would shake it up and really put importance on every round. There would always be a Cinderella story and a King who was slain.
                            Always remember, the same country that invented golf and called it a game, invented bag pipes and called it music.

WITB:

Driver and FW:
                            Cobra F9 10.5, 45", Fujikura Vista Pro 55, R, Jumbo Pure
                            XR16 5 Wood, Fujikura Vista Pro 55, R, Jumbo Pure

Hybrids:
                            Big Bertha 4H, Mamiya Recoil ES, 460, F3, R, Jumbo Pure
                            Big Bertha 5H, Mamiya Recoil ES, 460, F3, R, Jumbo Pure
                            Big Bertha 6H, Mamiya Recoil ES, 460, F3, R, Jumbo Pure

Irons:
                            Ping G30, 6I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
                            Ping G30, 7I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
                            Ping G30, 8I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
                            Ping G30, 9I, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure

Wedges:
                            Ping G30, PW, Nippon NS Pro Zelos 7, R, Jumbo Pure
                            Vokey VM7, 50, Mid Bounce, Jumbo Pure
                            Cleveland RTX4, 56, 2dot, True Temper Dynamic Gold, Jumbo Pure
                            Cleveland RTX3, 60, 2dot, True Temper Dynamic Gold, Jumbo Pure

Putter:
                            Odyssey, Red Ball, WinnPro 1.18 Grips

Ball:
                            E-12 Soft, TP5 or ProV1

sigpic

Comment

Have the top 3 or 4 after the "championship" play a 36 hole skins game over the next two nights for the money, everyone miked up, shot clock in play.
                              Bag:
                              Driver: Rogue SZ 9* HZRDUS yellow vs HZRDUS black
                              Fairway: Rogue 4w evenflow blue
                              Hybrid:
                              Irons: JPX919 forged 4-PW nippon n.s.Pro1050gh
                              Wedges: MD4 50*, 54*, OG PM grind 58*
                              Putter: Karsten anser 2

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X