Your Tee Game - Sell Me

The hybrid is my most trusted club(s) in the bag. If you're telling me I still have a scoring iron/wedge in my hand then I'll take that option for sure since I'd still feel pretty comfortable.

Your Tee Game - Sell Me

Give me driver and an easy wedge any day. I don’t like taking full swings with the wedges. Especially when I need to get them over trouble short.

Now what should I do? Probably hit 4 iron or hybrid to 8-9 iron distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its open fairway but doesn't need a full distance driver, I'd probably choke down and hit an easy driver which goes probably 3/4 distance. Rather have a full wedge or easy swinging AW into the green...

My driver is very reliable and I have no issues with hitting partial wedges, so I could/would go with either

Driver - Partial wedge

3W - Wedge

After I reach the green that is where the fun can potentially start :D

What I should do is grab my 4i. I played a round late in the season where I took woods and my Hybrid out of the bag. It was the third best score I've had in my last 20 rounds, I played to -1 (HC adjusted).

What I would do is hammer driver as far as I could. Hitting it far is by far my favorite part of the game. When that part of my game is on, I occasionally will turn in a crazy low score. I'd rather have rounds of 68 and an 88 than to have two rounds of 78.

Now if this a serious round such as a tournament or one I have money on, I probably am hitting 4i. The exception is if in swinging driver good that day. In that case I'm still letting it rip.

Depends on timing of the hole. Early in the round I would probably go 5w and 9-pw into the green. Later in the round if I am swinging the club well I would probably go 3w full wedge.

Assume partial sand or gap wedge, just outside full lob wedge distance if you use the lob as a full swing club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lots of variables and assumptions going on here. If it's a partial Gw, then it's a "full" SW. Of course a "full" SW ain't really full. A full shot is likely I'm the 85-90% range. Is that still a full shot or is that a partial? It's all so confusing...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Maybe half of the issue with people's game is over thinking?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'd go 3W or 5W. I'd rather hit something I can control and keep in the fairway and take a full wedge to 9i to the green.

With all that potential damage, I'm taking my 3 wood out all day and giving myself a full wedge in to try and stick it close. Don't trust my driver one bit right now.

What I should do is take out the hybrid and leave myself a 9. I like to step on the gas a bit when it comes to the 3w and I rarely do that with the hybrid so there is a much higher probability of leaving myself a very good shot on the fairway. I'm confident in my 9 so I don't think it would be a major detriment taking the wedge out of my hands on that play.

SHOULD: 5w/wedge
WOULD: Driver/drop/56*/chip/putt - net bogey

Lots of variables and assumptions going on here. If it's a partial Gw, then it's a "full" SW. Of course a "full" SW ain't really full. A full shot is likely I'm the 85-90% range. Is that still a full shot or is that a partial? It's all so confusing...

It's really not that confusing (most seem to be doing okay). No variables.

take the distance of your highest lofted wedge in the bag, and it's 75% of that distance.

Driving Iron-3/4 something.

Probably...

Driver, re-tee with the above

I normally go 4w / full wedge.
I read an article a few years ago where they did a study and the results indicated that amateurs should not lay up to "a distance", but should get it down there as far as possible if it doesn't bring hazards or trouble into play. Reasoning was a bad shorter shot will yield better results than a bad longer shot. I've tried to put that reasoning into play when possible. Results for me are inconclusive I would say.

take the distance of your highest lofted wedge in the bag, and it's 75% of that distance.
Well, that ain't what the original post said. That's why I was asking.

I should hit a 5W or even a hybrid but I’d probably hit 3W. This might depend on how my round is going too.

If my round was already effed up then I would hit driver, hope for a lucky bounce off a tree then 8-9 iron in.

If it's a day when I'm carrying the 68°, the "full" distance for that is only about 20 yards. From there, I might be able to putt it if the ground is firm enough. Heck, it might even be close enough for a gimme, I'd have to see.

I'm still unclear on something though. If my "full" distance of my LW (that's the highest lofted wedge most of the time) is 70 yards, but I only swing it at 85%, do I use 70×.75=52.5y for my theoretical distance on this or should I convert the 70y to a full swing (100%) of 82.35y, then take 75% of that and get 61.7625y?

If the former, I could just hit a 1/2 SW as I prefer that over the 3/4 shot. If the latter, I might need to think some more on it and might have another question or two. :clown:

This is an awesome post!

I tend to play very conservative, so I would go 3w or even 5w depending on what the day has been giving me. Lately I've been leaking my shots to the left and even real ugly bunkers don't terrify me, so anything that gives me a full swing I would be confident with. Of course those who know me would then proceed to see me get real steep outside in and slice it right into the wet stuff.

@OGputtnfool I could ask you if you liked Coke or Pepsi better and you'd find a way to muddy the waters lmao

There's a reason why I said "YOUR" distance. If YOUR distance with your wedge is 70 yards, take 3/4 of that. If YOUR distance with YOUR wedge is so versatile that you can hit it anywhere from 5 to 70 yards, you clearly should say "Dan I'd take driver on this hole because I'm a wizard with my wedges" and move on.

Nearly 100 posts of opinion later, I'd say the intent was clear. Do you trust your driver and a 3/4 wedge, or do you think a shorter club off the tee with a longer distance to the green suits your game better. There's really not much more to figure out.

@OGputtnfool I could ask you if you liked Coke or Pepsi better and you'd find a way to muddy the waters lmao

There's a reason why I said "YOUR" distance. If YOUR distance with your wedge is 70 yards, take 3/4 of that. If YOUR distance with YOUR wedge is so versatile that you can hit it anywhere from 5 to 70 yards, you clearly should say "Dan I'd take driver on this hole because I'm a wizard with my wedges" and move on.

Nearly 100 posts of opinion later, I'd say the intent was clear. Do you trust your driver and a 3/4 wedge, or do you think a shorter club off the tee with a longer distance to the green suits your game better. There's really not much more to figure out.
It's all good. I love ya, man.

For the record, I don't like Coke or Pepsi. They're both loaded with sugar in the form of HFCS (which is worse for you than sugar FWIW).

My younger self would have opted for Mountain Dew first, then Coca Cola.

What really irks me, though, is when people use the word "Coke" when referring to all similar carbonated drinks no matter the flavor or manufacturer.

What really irks me, though, is when people use the word "Coke" when referring to all similar carbonated drinks no matter the flavor or manufacturer.

***Minor thread hijack*** The same way I feel when people say "pop". Nails on a chalkboard I tell ya...

No question...

3 wood - wedge

If I miss the 3 wood a little, it still leaves me with a short iron to the green.
If I really bust the 3 wood, it leaves me with a wedge.

Hybrid sounds like a good choice for me. I like my mid-short irons and if I miss the green, it's probably going left.

Your Tee Game - Sell Me

The more I read and think about it, much of the reason why I might opt for driver-3/4 wedge first is due to how I usually start my round at my home course on #1.

When I used to play the tips most often, I'd have anything from full wedge to full short iron in for the second with virtual death over and right of the green.

But in 2018 and coming back from injury, I played 80% of my rounds from the blues, one tee up. I still hit driver very often anyway, despite it not being the obvious play with OB left and pinching inward long. Driver left anywhere from 50 to 70 yards nearly every time (lasered yardage longer but only plays 50-70).

And for that approach even of equal distance, I never really had a go-to wedge. Could be LW just as easily as SW or GW.

So I'd change my answer to my default being driver because that's likely what I'd do. Not at all the play that I'd recommend to a buddy but I'm besties with my own worst enemy (me) and we've had a better working relationship for a couple of seasons now.

Back