Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
CCR- when I have confidence problems like what you're describing I start to work on my game from the green back. Start with putting and get familiar with the flat stick again. Then start to get some chipping and 1/2 wedge shots going. Finally work on the long stuff. I think your confidence and scores will come back quickly

played the only round of the week tonight. Started out ok and had a 50 on the front then it fell apart on the back 9. Finished with 109. I am so inconsistent right now I don't even know what to practice on. Went to the range yesterday and everything just feels wrong. I have no confidence right now...:banghead:

So close. Shot an even 100 today for the first time ever. I didn't know it till I got added it all up after leaving 18. There were at least 3 - 4 shots that I could have possibly saved. I'm getting there.

I put a 104 on the board today on a challanging course and one I shot a 116 on just a few weeks ago. I made a few "dumb shots" that caused my score to go higher than it needed. I am getting closer to the 90's I can feel it!!

CCR- when I have confidence problems like what you're describing I start to work on my game from the green back. Start with putting and get familiar with the flat stick again. Then start to get some chipping and 1/2 wedge shots going. Finally work on the long stuff. I think your confidence and scores will come back quickly

I still am making too many mistakes...topped shots, hitting fat/thin, always looking up, not aiming correctly. I could easily knock off 10 strokes a round if I hit the ball consistently. I'm just starting to think that maybe I will never be a "good' golfer...I don't seem to have enough free time to practice and play several times a week to be able to get better.

I still am making too many mistakes...topped shots, hitting fat/thin, always looking up, not aiming correctly. I could easily knock off 10 strokes a round if I hit the ball consistently. I'm just starting to think that maybe I will never be a "good' golfer...I don't seem to have enough free time to practice and play several times a week to be able to get better.

CCR, dont say this. There is absolutely nothing wrong if you play a round of golf and shoot 100, 110 or higher if you went out , had fun and tried your best. I used to say the same ting to myself about the whole "good golfer" thing then I realized one day golf is you versus the course and a time to be spent out in the sun with friends. Forget the number you score, even play a couple of rounds and dont keep score!!!! It worked for me and I am sure it will work for you. Do not be so concerned with the number, leave that for the pros!! Just go out and have fun!!!

WR makes a good point. Just have fun man and I know its easier said than done. A lot of the times it just comes down to baby steps. Taking a stroke off your round once every couple. I finally went back to my old ways the other day, had a beer to relax and just had fun. Up until 16 I was tracking below 90. One of the things that helps me the most is practicing my chips. Well basically just making sure I stay good in my mechanics. It carries over to my irons. A book I have loved reading is called "The Impact Zone". Worth a try. Im only part of the way through it but my putting and wedge play has improved a ton. Andy is helping witht he rest lol. Sorry for the long post and off topic but I hate to see you get so discouraged.

thanks guys. I just tend to be a perfectionist and although I golf for the fun of it...I do want to get better. I guess I'm getting frustrated because I am worse than I was last year. Not just a round or 2 but every round I have played this year so far. I think the real catalyst was when I took my girlfriend to the range the other day. she just bought her first set of clubs and has never golfed. She was hitting it high and straight. I wasn't. lol.

Lol... I definitely know how that goes!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks guys. I just tend to be a perfectionist and although I golf for the fun of it...I do want to get better. I guess I'm getting frustrated because I am worse than I was last year. Not just a round or 2 but every round I have played this year so far. I think the real catalyst was when I took my girlfriend to the range the other day. she just bought her first set of clubs and has never golfed. She was hitting it high and straight. I wasn't. lol.

She probably was cause she did not know better. You are so wound up about it you are actually causing the problem. I know tis to be true, I had been doing it to myself till about a month ago. Just get up there and not think about it, relax, maybe an adult beverage or two if you enjoy them to relax you. You will be suprised with the results.

Lol... I definitely know how that goes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I think alot of us "hackers" who shoot in the 100+ range are simply too intense with ourselves and put unecessary pressures onto our minds. We hit one good shot then srew up the next couple and wonder why we cant hit it perfect every time. I have learned even if I do hit a crappy shot, it is not the end of the world or hole, let the crappy shot go and in most holes you can recover and get the par or bogey. Remember playing bogey golf gets you a score of 88-90 so you can even get a couple of double bogeys and still score much better. Look at the big picture!!!

I know how you feel China, and it sucks. My head has a really good way of making me play like crap sometimes. It can be really tough to shake. Like you, I want to be great at everything, and it drives me crazy to duff shots, etc. I'm thinking of going back for a few lessons to straighten myself out. AND NO MORE READING SWING TIPS. The swing I had after my first set of lessons was really working for me, but I seem to have lost it in the mess of swing thoughts/tips I have aquired in the last four months.

I know how you feel China, and it sucks. My head has a really good way of making me play like crap sometimes. It can be really tough to shake. Like you, I want to be great at everything, and it drives me crazy to duff shots, etc. I'm thinking of going back for a few lessons to straighten myself out. AND NO MORE READING SWING TIPS. The swing I had after my first set of lessons was really working for me, but I seem to have lost it in the mess of swing thoughts/tips I have aquired in the last four months.

A friend told me that a while ago, quit readng all the magazines and trying all the different swings. In the end it screwed me up more than it was helping me

Yeah man! I normally play solo but the other day it was slow at a course and another single caught up to me. I relaxed and played really good. He told me he was a 10 so at that point all the pressure to play good went out the window. I kept up until the 17th (it was almost dark). I didnt even want to keep up I just felt like I had nothing to prove. When I play by myself I feel like I have so much on the line. When in reality, I dont. Just wanna have some fun. Still gotta have the swing but a lot of it is in the mind.
Oh I think alot of us "hackers" who shoot in the 100+ range are simply too intense with ourselves and put unecessary pressures onto our minds. We hit one good shot then srew up the next couple and wonder why we cant hit it perfect every time. I have learned even if I do hit a crappy shot, it is not the end of the world or hole, let the crappy shot go and in most holes you can recover and get the par or bogey. Remember playing bogey golf gets you a score of 88-90 so you can even get a couple of double bogeys and still score much better. Look at the big picture!!!

Yeah man! I normally play solo but the other day it was slow at a course and another single caught up to me. I relaxed and played really good. He told me he was a 10 so at that point all the pressure to play good went out the window. I kept up until the 17th (it was almost dark). I didnt even want to keep up I just felt like I had nothing to prove. When I play by myself I feel like I have so much on the line. When in reality, I dont. Just wanna have some fun. Still gotta have the swing but a lot of it is in the mind.

Think abut this Yoccos and everyone else who reads this thread. If you go out and join up with someone else and they say " I am a 10 handicap" or claim they are really good, well the pressure is on them alot more than it is on you. If you say " I shoot around 100 and just come out here for fun" and do it then you have a great day. But Mr/Ms 10 handicap, either can be full of it and not telling the truth about their level, or might have a bad day and he/she s gonna feel the pressure to perform at that level.

A 108 yesterday. I was pretty tired on the last 5 holes so that may have had something to do with it. Very sad because I started with a great par-bogey-par. My driving was OK and my short game was really good, but the mid-iron shots particularly from the rough were just so inconsistant, and I got plugged in the sand twice. Still had a great day though!

played a quick 9 today. shot a 45. missed a birdie putt by 2 inches on the par 5. missed 3 other close par putts that I should have made. without a doubt the best golf I have played this year. must be the new clubs...:D

thanks Rhino. Somehow I found a consistent swing today. I now have confidence in my new irons. Obviously that goes a long way. Now if only I could find my usually solid putting again...

Way to go China! That's an amazing 9!

I played with JB today and just had the worst round ever. I shot a 111. My short game was atrocious, it was truly scary out there. My ball striking was once again really good but my chipping and putting just did not come together. I also struggled a bit with my driver. Well, I shouldn't say struggled because each shot was dead straight and I hit every fairway the problem was my distance and ball flight. They were all low and just ran for a while but they weren't pretty shots.

I am going to practice my short game some more the next few days and see if I can fix what I am doing wrong. Part of my problem is not following through with my chips/pitches instead I seem to jab at it. I also learned today that I putt better with my glove off, of course I didn't realize that until the 16th hole haha.

So 111 is not great, in fact I am rather disappointed, BUT I hit some really amazing shots too and I was striking the ball better and I was getting great distance with my irons. So there was a bit of a silver lining in an otherwise gloomy round.

Isn't it nice how it only takes a few good shots or a few good holes to make the whole day memorable- even if you shoot 111? That's why I keep playing I think.

GolferGal said:
Way to go China! That's an amazing 9!

I played with JB today and just had the worst round ever. I shot a 111. My short game was atrocious, it was truly scary out there. My ball striking was once again really good but my chipping and putting just did not come together. I also struggled a bit with my driver. Well, I shouldn't say struggled because each shot was dead straight and I hit every fairway the problem was my distance and ball flight. They were all low and just ran for a while but they weren't pretty shots.

I am going to practice my short game some more the next few days and see if I can fix what I am doing wrong. Part of my problem is not following through with my chips/pitches instead I seem to jab at it. I also learned today that I putt better with my glove off, of course I didn't realize that until the 16th hole haha.

So 111 is not great, in fact I am rather disappointed, BUT I hit some really amazing shots too and I was striking the ball better and I was getting great distance with my irons. So there was a bit of a silver lining in an otherwise gloomy round.

GG- you are getting better! Even as little as 2 months ago you would have been very content with a 111 and now it bugs you! Keep going and pretty soon anything over 100 will bug you!

Isn't it nice how it only takes a few good shots or a few good holes to make the whole day memorable- even if you shoot 111? That's why I keep playing I think.

I totally agree. Plus, by seeing that I can play well it only makes me want to get out there and do better next time. If I can keep up the ball striking like I have been doing and get my short game working I will be in great shape. So it's motivation to keep going.

GG- you are getting better! Even as little as 2 months ago you would have been very content with a 111 and now it bugs you! Keep going and pretty soon anything over 100 will bug you!

Thanks Rx! You are right just a few months ago I would have done a dance to shoot under 115 and now that I have been sub 110 for a while I am mad at the 111. But I am not going to let it get me down because there were some really great shots in there and my distances are getting longer and my swing is becoming more fine tuned so I am happy about that.

I am thinking about getting 3 more lessons to work on the parts of my game I seem to be struggling the most with. I am just wondering if I should do 1 playing lesson or 3 regular lessons. I was thinking the playing lesson might help me with course management but it's so expensive for just 1 lesson.

Keep at it GolferGal :)

I went to the range today and found my swing again. YAY! I hit a bucket trying all kinds of stupid things I thought would help and kept topping the ball. Then, about 10 balls into my second bucket I found what I was missing. Oddly enough, it was the simplest answer to the problem. I set up with the ball a bit more out towards the toe of the club and concentrated on a full shoulder turn. All of a sudden the ball was flying high and straight! I've gained some distance, which is either because of my new clubs or because I was actually swing right. Probably a bit of both.

Playing 18 tomorrow and I'm very excited. Feeling confident.

Keep at it GolferGal :)

I went to the range today and found my swing again. YAY! I hit a bucket trying all kinds of stupid things I thought would help and kept topping the ball. Then, about 10 balls into my second bucket I found what I was missing. Oddly enough, it was the simplest answer to the problem. I set up with the ball a bit more out towards the toe of the club and concentrated on a full shoulder turn. All of a sudden the ball was flying high and straight! I've gained some distance, which is either because of my new clubs or because I was actually swing right. Probably a bit of both.

Playing 18 tomorrow and I'm very excited. Feeling confident.

I can't wait to hear how your round goes tomorrow. :smile:

well I guess yesterdays 9 was a fluke. shot a 108 this morning. I'm back to not being able to hit the driver. or putt. love this game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back