Playing behind low cappers is awful

I am poking fun at a bunch of people I've seen acting ridiculously. Not to their face, I don't walk around insulting people. But I'm commenting on it here just like I would over drinks with my buddies after the round, "Did you get a load of that bunch of guys we saw on 11? Dressed like Tiger Woods, swinging like Rodney Dangerfield".

Why would anyone "confront" someone because they look and act ridiculous? Heck we'd have to "confront" people walking down the street every day in every city in the world.

My point being, a certain amount of that stuff is fine. And if you're a good player, you'll get a lot more leeway than if you're a total hack hoping that by some miracle all that practice swinging and waggling and pre-shot routine stuff is going to help you keep the ball between the tree line.
Here's a thought to consider, maybe some of that practice swinging, waggling, and pre-shot routine stuff is actually helping to lower his score. Maybe without it he would struggle to even break 120??
I'm not really a practice swing kinda golfer (truth be told I figure I only have so many good swings during the round so I don't want to waste them on practice swings, lol) but I don't consider anyone that does a few practice swings, putts, whatever a poser. If it helps them with their game then so be it.

What is going on lately with these threads? Not just this one either.

Is this The Hackers Paradise or the Hackers Parody?

Nonsense, jerks are jerks regardless of handicap...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Certainly "jerks" are out there shooting anywhere from 62 to 122, but if the subject is etiquette (replacing divots, repairing ball marks, raking bunkers, knowing where to stand when others are playing, knowing when to let faster groups play thru etc...), there has always been a direct correlation between golf skill level and etiquette.

The OP is mostly nonsense. Just about every player who shoots par golf naturally respects the golf course, replaces divots, repair ball marks, rake bunkers etc... They do these things because they know a well maintained course helps them shoot their lowest scores.
Beginners and, or, high handicappers shooting 100 usually are so focused on just finding their ball and getting thru the hole that they neglect proper course etiquette (or have never learned what it is).
Oh brother, not this baseless statement again. One's golfing ability has no bearing on whether they are inconsiderate. People are who they are not based on their golf score. Period.

Here's a thought to consider, maybe some of that practice swinging, waggling, and pre-shot routine stuff is actually helping to lower his score. Maybe without it he would struggle to even break 120??
I'm not really a practice swing kinda golfer (truth be told I figure I only have so many good swings during the round so I don't want to waste them on practice swings, lol) but I don't consider anyone that does a few practice swings, putts, whatever a poser. If it helps them with their game then so be it.

If you had seen this guy play, it would be obvious that is could not possibly be helping.

If literally every third or fourth swing results in a lost ball, you can't fix that by waggling and taking practice swings. Unless maybe you waggle and take practice swings on the driving range under the supervision of a qualified swing coach.

Wednesday skins at the club attracts some real sticks. A couple mini-tour players, more than enough + and scratch players. I'm sure there may be one or two higher but the highest index I've heard of the many who participate is 7.7. So really good players.

Everyone who I've played with, and it's been many, fills their divots, repairs their ball-marks, and finds the trash can with their garbage.

Go figure.

but if the subject is etiquette (replacing divots, repairing ball marks, raking bunkers, knowing where to stand when others are playing, knowing when to let faster groups play thru etc...), there has always been a direct correlation between golf skill level and etiquette.
I don't want to turn this into a high handicapper thread because let's stay on topic with playing behind low handicappers and how awful it is...

But their are no facts and definitely no direct correlation to your comment.

People who don't replace divots, repair ball marks, rake bunkers are all types. They simply don't give a sh!t. Has nothing to do with handicap but I feel this is :deadhorse:

I knew when I was the second one to post in this thread it was going here. Just had a hunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

People who don't replace divots, repair ball marks, rake bunkers are all types. They simply don't give a sh!t. Has nothing to do with handicap but I feel this is :deadhorse:

Nonsense. Again, players who shoot par golf know that a well maintained course helps them shoot par golf, so they naturally replace divots, repair ball marks, rake bunkers etc...
A good mechanic would not let the oil in his personal car become too old or dirty. If you can understand this you should be able to understand why scratch level players naturally want to take good care of the golf course.
Someone who knows little to nothing about automobiles often times let's their car oil get too low or dirty. And guys shooting 100 often times know little to nothing about golf, so they are naturally unaware of good course maintenance, proper playing etiquette etc...

Quality of play has no bearing on being an asshat.

Asshat's gonna asshat.

Couldn't agree more. The jackass factor has no correlation to a handicap.

But their are no facts and definitely no direct correlation to your comment.

What kind of "facts" are you looking for ?
Play behind a group of guys shooting 100 and you will notice bunkers not raked or poorly raked, some fresh ball marks, maybe a hole open ahead of them etc...
If you play behind a group of guys shooting 72 you are not going to see these things.

I am poking fun at a bunch of people I've seen acting ridiculously. Not to their face, I don't walk around insulting people. But I'm commenting on it here just like I would over drinks with my buddies after the round, "Did you get a load of that bunch of guys we saw on 11? Dressed like Tiger Woods, swinging like Rodney Dangerfield".

Well I'm picking at it because what you describe "Poser" is a lot of us on THP and especially me. Since the word poser has a negative connotation, of course I will defend myself.

We are not "Posers" just because we are influenced by people we admire on TV. Whether these little quirks helps them (us) or not, other than adding a few minutes to your round, how does it affect your game?
Also, who do you think you are to tell someone what they should and shouldn't do? Do you know what I say to people like you? I do whatever the F*ck I want (as long as I'm being considerate and having good etiquette). I like wearing all Nike stuff because of Jason Day, Rory and Tiger. I will wear the crap out of it despite having a belly and beginning to have moobs. I'm a mid handicapper with all of these "quirks" and damn proud of it. You sitting there with your thoughts is your own problem.
In my humble and friendly opinion, I think YOU are a poser pretending to be a man sitting safely behind a computer screen calling out people. A real man would say these things to their faces. But again... this is just my opinion and who gives a crap about my opinion :yawn:

Glad we have another thread up for DG to spread his holier than thou bullsh*t

Last edited:
Nonsense. Again, players who shoot par golf know that a well maintained course helps them shoot par golf, so they naturally replace divots, repair ball marks, rake bunkers etc...
A good mechanic would not let the oil in his personal car become too old or dirty. If you can understand this you should be able to understand why scratch level players naturally want to take good care of the golf course.
Someone who knows little to nothing about automobiles often times let's their car oil get too low or dirty. And guys shooting 100 often times know little to nothing about golf, so they are naturally unaware of good course maintenance, proper playing etiquette etc...

There are plenty of the "scratch level" players at my club who couldn't possibly be arsed to fill a divot. I have never observed the slightest correlation between handicap and willingness to rake bunkers, fill divots or put their cigarette butts in the trash rather than dropping them on the ground. It's a personal characteristic, not a golf skill.

I remember one time playing as a guest at another club I visit frequently, one of the "scratch level" guys found his ball sitting on the hardpan bottom of someone's unraked footprint in a bunker. He whinged about it for a minute or so before stepping in the bunker, hit the ball over the green, then cursed up a blue streak while taking two or three violent swings at the sand and finally stomping out of the bunker.

One of his partners watched him start to walk away and said, "You gonna rake that bunker or leave it like that?". For a second I thought the guy was going to explode, he was literally turning red in the face he was so mad. But he finally managed to laugh it off and climb back in the bunker to fix all the damage he'd caused plus the original footprints. It all was laughed off in the end but I'm pretty sure if his partner hadn't called him on it he'd have just left the bunker wrecked for the next poor sap who hit in there.

Play behind a group of guys shooting 100 and you will notice bunkers not raked or poorly raked, some fresh ball marks, maybe a hole open ahead of them etc...
If you play behind a group of guys shooting 72 you are not going to see these things.

Do just about every weekend all over the country. Seems perhaps this is your home course or local based, since people around the world on THP see something different every week.

A good mechanic would not let the oil in his personal car become too old or dirty.
Someone who knows little to nothing about automobiles often times let's their car oil get too low or dirty..

Iv seen a lot of good mechanics that don't even change oil in their own vehicle

It’s a personality type and not based on skill. I do believe, but have no facts to back it up, that there are likely fewer low caps that are this way than higher caps. But that assumption is just based on knowledge of the game and etiquette. In other words, most of the higher caps learn and get it right at some point.

It’s a personality type and not based on skill. I do believe, but have no facts to back it up, that there are likely fewer low caps that are this way than higher caps. But that assumption is just based on knowledge of the game and etiquette. In other words, most of the higher caps learn and get it right at some point.

It's true, we've all seen the total newbie who is so overwhelmed by the simple process of playing golf that they'd forget their head if it weren't attached. But if they end up being real golfers and playing regularly, in my experience they pretty quickly catch on to the niceties. And usually the just-past-raw-beginner stage is when they take all the etiquette stuff most seriously, wanting to fit in.

Being a "low capper" I resent the generalization! :angry:

Haha.

Mid-caps seem to be the only group that remains unburdened by unfortunate stereotypes.

Therefore = "Safe"

Although......upon further reflection.....if they are improving or getting worse---they could be in the midst of an unfortunate behavioral metamorphosis.

One must remain wary at all times

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

In reality it's nowhere near the kind of yobs the OP was describing but for some reason the ones that get me are the mid-handicap foursomes of posers, in both senses of the word.

Posers because they each have a matched outfit of Travis Matthew or similar shorts and shirts with the fitted hats and "traditional" style shoes, just like a typical Tour player.

But also posers because they'll hold their finish, twirl the club like Mark O'Meara after a good shot, do Tour-inspired little waggles or practice swings.

And finally posers because they adopt a variety of procrastinations they've copped off TV like the Jason Day eyelash-fluttering "visualization" behind the ball or the back off repeatedly and restart their laughable "routines".

And these groups never, ever, ever deviate from strictly "honors" order. Again like Tour players they won't even think about pulling a club or doing their practice swings or even lasering a yardage until the player before them has finished his swing.

I'm thankful to say none of the wannabes seem to be members of my club. But once in a while a foursome of them get on as visitors and they stand out like a bright orange Rickie Fowler monochrome outfit at a Ralph Lauren Polo convention. And I definitely encounter at least one group like that whenever I play a decent resort course on vacation.

Looks like mid-cappers are no longer safe @Antihero, all levels of handicaps have now been stereotyped

According to the OP, you WILL see these things...

Agreed, a lot of high caps are still learning and they eventually figure out proper golf etiquette. I’ve played about 4,000 rounds about evenly split with mid/high and low index players. In my observation, a higher percentage of 25 handicappers are not likely to fix ball marks, not replace divots or rake a bunker, and/or leave sunflower seeds or chew/cigarettes on the green or tee box than a scratch golfer. I’ve run across very few scratch golfers the last 40 years that have poor manners on the course but I’ve seen plenty of guys that shoot 110+ that are missing the basics of golf etiquette. To me poor etiquette from a scratch golfer is less excusable because they know better.

I’ll make another obvious generalization while I’m at it. Private club members have better course etiquette than muni course players. Yesterday I played 18 holes morning at my private club and 9 holes at the muni club with my daughter. In the morning round I only could find 2 unrepaired ball marks. On the short par 3 5th hole at the muni course, my daughter and I fixed over 30 balls marks before a group got to the tee and we moved on. We could have fixed another 50.

Last edited:
Back