ProV1 vs Titleist old balata

Dance_Business

AARP Member :)
Reaction score
Handicap
Practice
Has anyone compared the ProV1 and the old Titliest Professional? or the 384 from waaayyyy back(late 60's early 70's)? I found one in my father-in-law's golf bag that had not been touched in 40 years!.
They bounce the same! Look at the video's below. Crazy!!!!

Last edited:
I remember playing the old tour professional and tour balata and they would cut after 3 holes and never stayed round. The difference from them and the pro v1 is like the difference from a persimmon driver and an r11

I remember playing the old tour professional and tour balata and they would cut after 3 holes and never stayed round. The difference from them and the pro v1 is like the difference from a persimmon driver and an r11
Gotta agree here but I did love those old balatas; 'course I liked persimmon too

Last edited:
No comparison. I miss the feel of a balata off the putter.

Funny you brought this up. I found an old Titles tour 90 balata on the course in Denver Saturday. I remember playing them and can't wait to hit this one a few times.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Are these the ones with the rubber band type stuff inside? I remember cutting open my dad's old golf balls with a saw in the garage after they weren't playable any more. :)

Are these the ones with the rubber band type stuff inside? I remember cutting open my dad's old golf balls with a saw in the garage after they weren't playable any more. :)

Some had a liquid core underneath that too.

I have a dozen brand new 100 compression Titleist Professional balatas sitting in my bookcase. Alongside a couple dozen Srixons and Pentas. Found them in my desk a while back. They have to be 15 years old. I would think spin milled wedges would destroy them. I'm going to keep them as a memory of days gone boy.

Kevin

I've never hit a balata ball and would love to feel the difference between one of them and the new "Tour" balls. I'll have to scour ebay and see if I can find a few.

Compare the two. I know it is not scientific, but it is compelling....

I found a 90 compression Titleist professional the other day. The cover was deteriorating in spots. Haven't seen one of those in ages.

Okay, I fixed the security issue. Y'all watch the videos. They bounce the same, right?

A bit before my time haha

I played 100 compression balatas right up until Precept came out with their 2 piece ball, the original EV, that had a soft cover. Not sure if it was urethane or not, might have been, if not it was very similar. Cover was much softer at least than the harder surlyn balls. I would sometimes smash the balatas out of shape so you could go through a few balls in a round without losing any. They would be egg shaped sometimes after a big drive. Balatas haven't been made in forever I wouldn't think and any that are still around are going to have lost a lot of their elasticity.

Back