Would you rather play…?

Would you rather play a…

• Total voters

BuffaloPlunger

2024 GolfTEC Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Would you rather play a long course of average difficulty or a short course with a high degree of difficult? In this scenario, short/long are relative to what you typically play.

For me, I would much rather play the shorter course with more difficulty because I love having the ability to get creative on the golf course and stay engaged.

I selected both because I think both can be a challenge and I like a challenge.

Short with more difficulty. Not long off the tee so I generally stick to around 6200 or less and prefer 6000, with harder being the challenge.

Long course for me. I hit long but am wild so I like long but forgiving courses. Balboa GC in San Diego is an awesome short course that my friends play really well but I have my worst rounds on. It's one of the shorter courses locally but is very narrow with small greens and missing the fairways is OB into canyons. Just doesn't suit my game.

I prefer longer with average difficulty. Average 260 off the tee so I am pretty comfortable at most courses unless I am from the tips.

I chose short course since I've lost a lot of distance with age and health issues. I enjoy courses where I at least have a chance to reach some greens in regulation.

I chose shorter and more difficult. Not because I'm a great golfer, but because long isn't my forté.

I would go with longer but not as difficult. It gives a little room to miss some with the driver without being OB or in major trouble. You can recover from a mediocre tee shot with a a good approach shot. My home course if fairly short and a little difficult. A bad day off the tee can lead to some bad scores very easily. On the other hand, if you drive it straight you can score pretty well, especially if you are also kind of long.

I would go with longer but not as difficult. It gives a little room to miss some with the driver without being OB or in major trouble. You can recover from a mediocre tee shot with a a good approach shot.
It's like you're in my head. I wanted to write the exact same things lol

Two shorter difficult courses come to mind that I love playing...Tobacco Road and Shattuck. Each at around 6500 yards play at close to 150 slopes.

Give me the fun course! The one that lets me take risks and get rewarded for hitting great shots.

Two shorter difficult courses come to mind that I love playing...Tobacco Road and Shattuck. Each at around 6500 yards play at close to 150 slopes.

I think TR is a very long 6500 because of 5 par 3s and all of the uphill holes

short with more difficulty. i do better with target golf than tee-it-high-and-let-it-fly.

I'm happy with either, but I voted long and average difficulty because it's a contrast to what I've got here. My home track isn't terribly long, but comes with plenty of water hazards and tight OB lines.

I'd prefer the short course since there's no overcoming too long of a distance. You can either reach or you can't.

My game is such that I feel like I will play better relative to my handicap on a short difficult course than a long average course. Given that I will pick short and difficult.

Risk/reward for more fun. I love having to think about what is the best play and have options about how to play a hole. It makes the course more interesting.

It's tough to say without knowing more details, but I voted for long and average. When I think of a higher degree of difficulty I just envision hitting a bunch of balls out of play. That'll cost me more strokes than increased distance would.

Doesn't matter really. I think it would depend on the difficulty. Say for instance you gotta pin a green and have nothing much to work with. After a while holes like that can get tiring and brutal on the scorecard unless you are having an excellent day. Not enough of my days are that good :oops:

My optimal course size is <6,000 yards given my distance off the tee. So a long course is too difficult. I'd rather have to play a more difficult course with shorter holes.

Longer. Mistakes cost more at length, and all the same hazards are still there. The theoretically more difficult short course isn't always for me, and only lets me use about a third of my bag. I can choose to play more, but hitting 5i off par 4 tees isn't really creative as much as just boring. I like difficult position courses, but at least at mid length.

Long and average. The only thing that I consistently have is slightly above average distance off the tee, even if the accuracy is spotty. Any time I run into target golf, even at shorter distance, my score will be worse.

I love Tobacco Road! I honestly didn’t not find it to be as difficult as I was expecting. Probably helped that I had a caddie

I went with short.

Driver and wedges all day sounds like a good time.

I love Tobacco Road! I honestly didn’t not find it to be as difficult as I was expecting. Probably helped that I had a caddie

I watched enough of TR to have a rough idea of what’s good, what’s not good. Having someone who played there before helped quite a bit too, which was nice. But also, I friggin loved that course.

I played Midpines at not very long, maybe 6300? I have never walked off a course wanting to take up bowling as much as I did after that one. Good God that was an infuriating round of golf.

Back