What area of the US is the holy land for Golf?

That post

aka GolfOrElse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Boycotting
For me it has to be Myrtle. The volume/variety of good courses there seems unmatched. I haven’t traveled around (for golf) much so I could easily be missing other great destinations.
Where do THP’ers go to properly worship the golf gods?

From my limited experiences, I agree with Myrtle Beach.

I’ve only been once but I absolutely loved the Raleigh/Pinehurst area. Some of my favorite golf I’ve played

I’ve been burning through seasons of the podcast ‘Chasing Scratch’ lately and the way they describe the porch at Pinehurst make it sound like golf heaven and is making me want to go.

I’ve been burning through seasons of the podcast ‘Chasing Scratch’ lately and the way they describe the porch at Pinehurst make it sound like golf heaven and is making me want to go.

The porch area and practice area escpecially are very nice. It dosen't have a modern feel. If you like golf history, the old feel ambiance gets extra points.

A few years ago, they use to run half price green fees for a late afternoon twilight rate, which many don't know about. You can still get 18 in. Not sure if that is still the case today.

It might be Long Island particularly the South Fork. The number of world class courses there is kind of silly the problem is they are all private and difficult to get access to.

Just to add another point to the discussion I will throw out Wisconsin. It's a modern phenomena, but there are several world class golf courses in Wisconsin.

Have yet to check out Myrtle, but I imagine it's up there based on everything I've heard.

For the places I personally have been, it would be the West Palm Beach area of Florida.

It depends on what you’re looking for. One thing I think a lot of people miss out on or don’t consider is autumn golf. I don’t have much golf travel experience, but Pennsylvania golf in the fall is beautiful!
1630066200325.jpeg

So true @RealPretendPsychic! What course is that

As far as the original question goes, there are really a ton, but a few places come to mind for me. Budgets vary wildly, but all have at least 3 or 4 world class courses in close proximity...

Monterey, CA
San Diego, CA
Bandon, OR
Kohler, WI
Pinehurst area, NC
Ozarks, MO
Scottsdale, AZ
Las Vegas, NV/St George, UT
Myrtle Beach to Charleston, SC
West Palm Beach, FL

I'm definitely missing some. There are a lot.

As far as the original question goes, there are really a ton, but a few places come to mind for me. Budgets vary wildly, but all have at least 3 or 4 world class courses in close proximity...

Monterey, CA
San Diego, CA
Bandon, OR
Kohler, WI
Pinehurst area, NC
Ozarks, MO
Scottsdale, AZ
West Palm Beach, FL

Just a wallpaper from a Google search to emphasize my point 😬

Monterey, CA
San Diego, CA
Bandon, OR
Kohler, WI
Pinehurst area, NC
Ozarks, MO
Scottsdale, AZ
West Palm Beach, FL

I didn't play golf when I lived in the Monterey bay, but the only course you ever hear about is pebble. What other courses are are in that area? Once you get up to the city you start to get a lot more but that's 2 hours away almost.

Just starting a conversation, not an argument or making a conversation because I immediately thought Monterey since I lived there but then I realized I never heard of more than pebble.

For world class gold I would assume myrtle based upon what I've heard. They also seen to have a few good courses in Hawaii.

Long Island has more courses in the USA top 100 than Florida. Shinnecock, Bethpage and others make Long Island a great golf destination. Always been on my list.

Not a lot of people know that.....

I didn't play golf when I lived in the Monterey bay, but the only course you ever hear about is pebble. What other courses are are in that area? Once you get up to the city you start to get a lot more but that's 2 hours away almost.
They play 3 or 4 courses just during the pro-am every year. Spyglass Hill, Cypress Point, Poppy hills, Pacific Grove... overall I think its been THE destination for US golf... Due to its popularity among elites and pricing, the Bandon area has probably started to take over the "place to go" for golfing purists, especially those n a budget.
I would say when it comes to eastern states that designation would be Pinehurst for the classics, now maybe Myrtle or South Carolina in general.

If you're gonna throw out the term "Holy Land" there's only one and its the birthplace of golf, Scotland... the term doesn't really apply anywhere else.

Monterey Peninsula / Carmel, CA:

Public/Resort
  • Pebble Beach
  • Spyglass Hill
  • Links at Spanish Bay
  • Poppy Hills
  • Pacific Grove
  • Black Horse
  • Bayonet
  • Del Monte
  • Quail Lodge
Private
  • Cypress Point
  • Monterey Peninsula Dunes
  • Monterey Peninsula Shores
I know there are more, but that's what I could come up with.

In my opinion, Myrtle Beach area is the golf mecca in the US. I've played all over the country except the North East, so I can't speak to there, but I can't think of any other area with more courses and quality courses per square mile than Myrtle. JMHO

For me it would be the Carmel/Monterey, Ca area. One of the most beautiful places on earth.

The U.S. has challenging and beautiful courses in all parts of the country. On the Ms. Gulf Coast we have no shortage of great golf courses with some, not all, available to all.

Attachments

• 1630076827341.png
    1630076827341.png
    346.4 KB · Views: 18
Honestly California is really tough to beat..

Haven't been to Pinehurst yet, but it's always in the running for a trip. Of places I've been, Bandon all day everyday. You do need an appreciation for links golf though.

Just to add another point to the discussion I will throw out Wisconsin. It's a modern phenomena, but there are several world class golf courses in Wisconsin.
That’s exactly where my head was going. The golf in WI is just phenomenal. The only downside is the drive between all of the great ones.

As much as I love the PHX golf area for a lot of reasons there is one thing that it is missing. A good collection of excellent/top-ranked courses. There are some very good courses but none that really are top notch (for the public). There is no Bandon or Pebble or Bethpage or Torrey in the PHX area. We do have the quantity and the full price spectrum which is good. We are close enough to get to some tree lined courses as well as plenty of desert courses. Elevation changes can be found as well. That and year round play really market PHX very nicely.

Thinking of where I would like to spend more time and play some courses. On my list are Pinehurst, Michigan, and Northern California. I don't think I could live in any of those places but I could spend some time there. I love Bandon and if you include central Oregon and Portland I have golfed a fair bit there (not a lot) and enjoy my time there.

I’m biased, but Monterey Peninsula. Spoilt for golf here. That said, it’s getting a pain in the arse to book golf here, so everyone stay away please :p

Back