What area of the US is the holy land for Golf?

Long Island

Long Island has more courses in the USA top 100 than Florida. Shinnecock, Bethpage and others make Long Island a great golf destination. Always been on my list.

Not a lot of people know that.....
I’ll be honest it’s kinda blowing my mind that several people have posted Long Island. Not that I’m arguing as I’ve never been there but for whatever reason it’s just surprising.

It depends on what you’re looking for. One thing I think a lot of people miss out on or don’t consider is autumn golf. I don’t have much golf travel experience, but Pennsylvania golf in the fall is beautiful!
View attachment 9024542
This would be holy grail of golf for me.
Autumn and a mountian golf course just wow.
But Mrytle Beach would be 2nd.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Monterey Peninsula / Carmel, CA:

Public/Resort
  • Pebble Beach
  • Spyglass Hill
  • Links at Spanish Bay
  • Poppy Hills
  • Pacific Grove
  • Black Horse
  • Bayonet
  • Del Monte
  • Quail Lodge
Private
  • Cypress Point
  • Monterey Peninsula Dunes
  • Monterey Peninsula Shores
I know there are more, but that's what I could come up with.

And a short drive away:
Public:
Harding Park
Half Moon Bay

Private:
Cal Club
San Fran Golf Club
Olympic

So many great courses in that area!

Bandon Dunes, for the difficulty of getting there, making it a real pilgrimage, the quality and number of courses, and that you can park your car, and not have to touch it until you are ready to leave.

Have yet to check out Myrtle, but I imagine it's up there based on everything I've heard.

For the places I personally have been, it would be the West Palm Beach area of Florida.
Myrtle Beach is aka, "red neck Riviera"
Example: That guy was wearing flip-flops and socks with a Confederate Flag tank top. … Only on the Redneck Riviera.” Not exactly, West Palm Beach fyi

I have enjoyed reading this thread and seeing everyone’s suggestions. We have many good areas in the country for golf. I’m partial to my home state of NY. However, for public access, affordability and number of courses Myrtle Beach can’t be beat.

Monterey Peninsula / Carmel, CA:

Public/Resort
  • Pebble Beach
  • Spyglass Hill
  • Links at Spanish Bay
  • Poppy Hills
  • Pacific Grove
  • Black Horse
  • Bayonet
  • Del Monte
  • Quail Lodge
Private
  • Cypress Point
  • Monterey Peninsula Dunes
  • Monterey Peninsula Shores
I know there are more, but that's what I could come up with.

Pasatiempo being a short drive up the coast is another top course in the area.

For me, it’s Myrtle, and always will be.

As much as I love the PHX golf area for a lot of reasons there is one thing that it is missing. A good collection of excellent/top-ranked courses. There are some very good courses but none that really are top notch (for the public). There is no Bandon or Pebble or Bethpage or Torrey in the PHX area. We do have the quantity and the full price spectrum which is good. We are close enough to get to some tree lined courses as well as plenty of desert courses. Elevation changes can be found as well. That and year round play really market PHX very nicely.

Thinking of where I would like to spend more time and play some courses. On my list are Pinehurst, Michigan, and Northern California. I don't think I could live in any of those places but I could spend some time there. I love Bandon and if you include central Oregon and Portland I have golfed a fair bit there (not a lot) and enjoy my time there.
That's a pretty damned accurate summary. There's a TON of golf in the Valley and enough to fit every budget in the spectrum. But, sadly, lacks anything truly iconic. Still, some damned solid courses,

No specifics, as I think there more than few golf meccas located in the U. S.. Most, if not all of them are located in portions of the country that offer year around golf.

Being a western, desert rat guy, I suppose I'm biased towards western golf destinations. SoCal, Monterey, CA, and Bandon, OR readily come to mind.

Hard to overlook the Palm Springs/Coachella Valley area in SoCal, with somewhere around 130 courses.

Long Island.

If access isn't a problem, then it's probably Long Island with Monterrey just slightly behind. For the rest of us (probably 98% of everyone on this board including me!), I'd have to go with Bandon, followed by Pinehurst.

The Monterrey Peninsula has to be it.

Another vote for the Monterey Peninsula, although its hard to argue with Long Island too. Personally, I put Monterey ahead because most people have no real chance of playing the majority of the iconic LI courses.

You can get just about every single renowed architecture in Florida......

So I nominate Florida as a whole......

And you can't weather winter weather south of Sarasota

A vote for the USA territory of Puerto Rico with two dozen very nice golf courses
including one Ive played, Dorado Beach, East, designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr.
Hard pressed to find a more tranquilo American island to golf.

For me it has to be Myrtle. The volume/variety of good courses there seems unmatched. I haven’t traveled around (for golf) much so I could easily be missing other great destinations.
Where do THP’ers go to properly worship the golf gods?
Id have to say its Pebble. Myrtle is cool but theres no history there.

Augusta , Georgia.. and it’s not close

The coast from Tampa down to Naples is a good area for golf courses and has excellent weather when the rest of us are too cold to go outside.

Back