A Brand Story: Callaway Golf Balls

And they are doing it at pricing that is similar/equal to Bridgestone and ... Titleist. The performance shows and the marketing works to get the product into more bags. It doesn't hurt that Truvis, Tripletrack, etc is a great concept with colors and branding that others are attempting to copy. They have launched more brands within the brand.
Truvis really was a better and more modern logo ball. So many great courses started stocking them. My favorite, but I’m biased

At my local course when I find Callaway balls, most of them are Supersofts. I save them for my friend and give them to him, he loves those.

At my local course when I find Callaway balls, most of them are Supersofts. I save them for my friend and give them to him, he loves those.
One of my golf buddies and I have a deal - I give him all the ProV1s I find, and he gives me all the Supersofts he finds. :LOL:

That was a really informative article on Callaway’s success. A question I would be really curious about that I’d love for @JasonFinleyCG to answer if he can, is why the delay in putting Triple Track on the Supersoft if it’s one of their biggest movers? Feels like that would be a win win right there!

I hadn’t even thought of that but it does sound like a no brainer.

Well done on this piece JB!

Callaway has really knocked it out of the park the past few years. Before the selection to the Grandaddy (Gmama) and even before I found THP in late 2019, I picked up some ERC Softs specifically for the TT lines. It was a game changer for me then and it's a game changer for me now on the CS line. 20% is a huge piece of the pie and I like that the best seller isn't even their tour ball. Which means there is even more room to grow after the showing from their pro staff this year!

Excited to see what the future holds for them as well ;)

"Further, I am even more excited for the things we will have coming soon to further showcase these improvements"

I guess a open ended question is what can be done to create a new “visual” on the ball. Golf had been played with a little white ball for so long, then colors found there way into the rotation, and as of now there are ways to knowingly or subconsciously have you aim better or give the illusion of the ball being larger curious as to the next frontier. Maybe something will pop up in December….

I guess a open ended question is what can be done to create a new “visual” on the ball.

That is a pretty interesting question. I remember when another company brought the first yellow tour ball to the market and it was pretty much laughed at. Fast forward a handful of years and every company offers it now. Callaway saw that with Truvis. It took off and then a few years later TaylorMade launched their version. Triple Track is an interesting one, because while I do not think we will see any direct copies, very few companies in golf were talking about visual alignment aids until it came out. Now it is literally a story for every new golf ball brand.

That is a pretty interesting question. I remember when another company brought the first yellow tour ball to the market and it was pretty much laughed at. Fast forward a handful of years and every company offers it now. Callaway saw that with Truvis. It took off and then a few years later TaylorMade launched their version. Triple Track is an interesting one, because while I do not think we will see any direct copies, very few companies in golf were talking about visual alignment aids until it came out. Now it is literally a story for every new golf ball brand.
It sorta reminds me now of say a car for instance there are two sides to the equation in the way of performance (inside non visual tech) and cosmetics (colors, visuals) you have more options to choose from and to Callaway’s credit they have been willing to make those leaps into the unknown and have come out for the better as shown with the latest sales. They say imitation is supposed to be a sincere form of flattery and with the number of copies from other brands or ball stencil tools to mimic both the Truvis and TT they must have done something right, albeit I’m sure the patent attorneys might disagree 😆. I’m truly curious to see how the outside can be improved upon where we are at now because I truly don’t know how or what can be done to gain the benefits those two designs have done (which I didn’t see coming at the time either) and am really curious to see where this trend goes on top of the performances of the ball.

It sorta reminds me now of say a car for instance there are two sides to the equation in the way of performance (inside non visual tech) and cosmetics (colors, visuals) you have more options to choose from and to Callaway’s credit they have been willing to make those leaps into the unknown and have come out for the better as shown with the latest sales. They say imitation is supposed to be a sincere form of flattery and with the number of copies from other brands or ball stencil tools to mimic both the Truvis and TT they must have done something right, albeit I’m sure the patent attorneys might disagree 😆. I’m truly curious to see how the outside can be improved upon where we are at now because I truly don’t know how or what can be done to gain the benefits those two designs have done (which I didn’t see coming at the time either) and am really curious to see where this trend goes on top of the performances of the ball.

The outside and honestly golf balls in general are pretty misunderstood by the general public. One of the biggest factors is often never even discussed, which is cover thickness. Too thin, you gain performance, but lose durability and while performance sounds fantastic, when you have scuffing issues from a couple of swings, this creates a problem. Coatings and other materials are certainly the future in my opinion and I look forward to following along without a doubt.

I can recall Jerry Pate winning the Players in the early 80s using an orange Wilson Staff ball.

I can recall Jerry Pate winning the Players in the early 80s using an orange Wilson Staff ball.
Sure did. And there were many non-white golf balls for years. Then less than a decade ago a company made the yellow urethane ball and the rest is history.

Truvis and Triple Track in some ways take that a step further.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. As far as the question on why no Triple Track on Supersoft it really comes down to capacity. Putting Triple Track and Truvis on a golf ball is a very unique process and requires dedicated machinery that we have developed. We literally are using every last bit of our capacity on the balls we currently put TT on so at this point adding it to Supersoft would be a large undertaking. Certainly something we hope to continue to build on but getting these machines takes time and they are not an item we can just call up Amazon Prime and have next day!

Really great article @JB and @JasonFinleyCG . Love seeing some of the details around the business direction mated to the feedback and product planning that results in a quality product hitting the market. Its been such a great growth cycle for the Callaway team in the ball market over the last 10 years or so. Congrats on the 20% mark!

Wow this was a fun read. The Tour adoption and performance is hard to ignore! I was a Supersoft player before I found Chrome Soft and I’m not looking back. I’m also completely dependent on Triple Track now. Would love to have TT on Truvis balls 😬

Great information @JB!! It is impressive how much market share that Callaway has taken in a relatively short amount of time. Their investments to make the highest quality balls they can paired with a willingness to take smart gambles is paying off. I was playing another brand before trying out chromesoft and was pleasantly surprised. The first time I saw a truvis ball I thought it was odd but now I've come to really like them. They are continuing to differentiate from their competitors and I'm curious as to what the next innovative idea will be!

Great information @JB!! It is impressive how much market share that Callaway has taken in a relatively short amount of time. Their investments to make the highest quality balls they can paired with a willingness to take smart gambles is paying off. I was playing another brand before trying out chromesoft and was pleasantly surprised. The first time I saw a truvis ball I thought it was odd but now I've come to really like them. They are continuing to differentiate from their competitors and I'm curious as to what the next innovative idea will be!

Thanks. I enjoy Chrome Soft myself as I like the lower spin off the tee. Heaven knows I need it.

The latest line was well liked during the recent staff trip.
Both X and LS were used quite a bit in the videos we shot.

Quick update, our next Brand Story will be coming next week I believe. It's all finished but is a really cool story.

These look delicious.

Back