The most frustrating thing you can do in the golf course

Davidhibler

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
As much as we like to say it doesn't happen, we all have things on the course that piss us off.

What is the one thing that you can do during a round that gets your blood boiling?

Be honest.

For me, it is losing a ball when there is no reason to lose a ball. A couple of examples would be when you smoke a drive right down the middle, but can't see it land because of a hill or whatever. Only to get up to the landing area and it is nowhere to be found.

Or seeing your ball come to rest in the rough and never being able to find it.

For me it's not the cost of the ball, or anything like that. It's just the "WTF happened here"of the situation.

What gets on your nerves?

The thing that boils my blood is when I have a short tap in(ish) putt and instead of marking and waiting or setting up completely to make the putt, I lean over or reach awkwardly and tap the putt and miss.

Every time I do that, I explode inside and promise myself I will never do that again.......until the next time.

300 yard piped drive. <100 yard wedge shot in. Dig something similar to the panama canal.

losing a ball because someone else from another hole took it/hit it.

blading a 10 yard sand shot 90 yards.

hitting a nutted 6i into a long par 3 only to wind up 40 yards short, then look down at a 9i.

5 putt.

3 putt bogeys are the most frustrating thing in golf to me! The other thing that gets me is when I get a case of the pull hooks in the middle of a round. I've been fighting that for years now and can't seem to stop it.

Hitting a terrible approach shot after a great drive. Nothing pisses me off more than wasting a great drive.

i guess it changes as my game changes. it used to be similar to @baylrballa where i'd be in prime scoring position and hit an abysmal shot to waste the opportunity.

right now i have two: a horrendous tee shot on an otherwise easy driving hole often leading to a penalty, and the fartiest of brain fart layups on a par 5 leading to a bogey or worse. the former is something in my swing i'm working on; the latter is just being stupid. 260 from the pin there's no way i'm getting there, so just hit an 8i or 7i and have a straightforward wedge into the green. my full and partial swing wedge game is above average, yet i still do the dumb thing and pull out the lumber for no reason. every, flurking, time.

For me it gets super frustrating when I flub a chip shot. A shot I’ve hit a hundred times and for some reason I hit the ball 2ft

Couple of things

1 - losing a ball in an area where you see it land but can't find it when you get there

2 - hitting a perfect drive down the middle of the fairway, then making a mess of the rest of the hole

Mine is playing with people who are just acting terrible. They seem to be out there absolutely ruining the fun for those around them. I've read multiple stories on this site about that so I know it's not just a one time or one person thing.

Don't ruin my day because you can't control yourself. Drinking, temper whatever it is. Stop.

3 putts, I don't give AF where I am at on the green, if I 3 putt I am PO'd.

@baylrballa mentioned someone else taking your ball. A few weeks ago on a very tight par 4 I pulled a small fade and it went into the dividing trees of the next par 5. I see a group head for my ball, he picks it up, I start whistling letting him know its mine, he pockets it while looking at me at drives off. I let him have the ball because I am sure that ball found a rock and hit him square in the twig and berries. Thats called karma. What a Richard.

3 putts, I don't give AF where I am at on the green, if I 3 putt I am PO'd.

@baylrballa mentioned someone else taking your ball. A few weeks ago on a very tight par 4 I pulled a small fade and it went into the dividing trees of the next par 5. I see a group head for my ball, he picks it up, I start whistling letting him know its mine, he pockets it while looking at me at drives off. I let him have the ball because I am sure that ball found a rock and hit him square in the twig and berries. Thats called karma. What a Richard.
Yeah that sucks. What a tool

For me nothing pisses me off more than hitting a hosel rocket. One I can shake off pretty quickly but two really gets me boiling.

Beyond that chunking a wedge from any yardage is extremely frustrating.

As much as we like to say it doesn't happen, we all have things on the course that piss us off.

What is the one thing that you can do during a round that gets your blood boiling?

Be honest.

For me, it is losing a ball when there is no reason to lose a ball. A couple of examples would be when you smoke a drive right down the middle, but can't see it land because of a hill or whatever. Only to get up to the landing area and it is nowhere to be found.

For me it's not the cost of the ball, or anything like that. It's just the "WTF happened here"of the situation.

This. 100 percent this. I never know how to handle it. Do I drop a free ball? Do I take a penalty? Either one feels wrong and it always, not sometimes, not most of the time, it ALWAYS destroys me for the hole.
100 this.

Missing the green with a wedge!

Mashing drives and chunking wedges :angry:

Accidental 150 yard sand wedges…….

Be honest.

Piping a perfect tee shot only to duff or skull the next

Ease up on the protein there Bryson!
It’s a lifestyle choice. Although I’ve bladed enough wedges that I think I’d be half decent at the 14 club challenge!

hate, hate, HATE making the wrong decision (in hindsight, obviously).

i'm not going to kid myself and think that i'm good enough to execute things perfectly even half the time. but i can control the decision-making. and when i make the wrong decision (laying up vs. going for it, hitting to the fat part of the green vs. firing at the pin, punching out vs. going for the hero shot) it really grinds my gears - and i have no one to blame but myself.

Finding a cartner that drinks Truly or White Claws. So frustrating.

hate, hate, HATE making the wrong decision (in hindsight, obviously).

i'm not going to kid myself and think that i'm good enough to execute things perfectly even half the time. but i can control the decision-making. and when i make the wrong decision (laying up vs. going for it, hitting to the fat part of the green vs. firing at the pin, punching out vs. going for the hero shot) it really grinds my gears - and i have no one to blame but myself.
Yup. That's a good one too.

What usually kills my score is stuff like this. Ends in a penalty a lot of the time.

Count me in on the perfect drive followed by a blown shot with a wedge or short iron.

Another is not getting out of a bunker! I might not be the best bunker player around, but I feel I'm good enough that this should never happen, but still does once in a while.

Back