How would you handle this?

Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Background:
Went to my local course today while the wife and boy were out doing their thing. I despise playing on Saturday because it is a public course and people are rude and terribly slow. So I sped through 1, 2, 3, when I get to 4 I get behind 2 foursomes, and all forward progress comes to a grinding halt. It becomes evident there is a match between the 2 groups (was not mentioned at booking my tee time).
Issue:
I pull up to #9(par 3), I'm not playing great so I'm waffling on playing 2 more hours behind these guys or cutting out and notice 1st foursome is on the green, 2nd foursome is waiting on tee box. I pull up, but not close maybe 5-6 car lengths back and completely out of view. #1 clears and #2 hits, and walks back to their carts, on the way I hear one of the guys a local who plays the course a lot but is always "that" guy complaining about his and his partners shots 🙄 he takes his club and swings hitting a pvc pipe marking the OB line, spraying plastic shrapnel all in my direction. Hitting me(barely) and my cart(windshield was up), he looks back at me, never says a word, and moves forward to the drop zone.
How would YOU respond?
I'm not typically a violent person but I was pissed, but not stupid. Even if I had said something that caused an incident, it's 4 on 1 and not worth it. I told the attending clerk to have the owner call me.

Reminds me of the Ron White joke about not knowing how many guys it would take to kick his butt, but knowing how many they were going to use. I’d have been hot about it but not to the point of physical but definitely a smartass remark would have been made.

I’m stupid when I’m pissed. I would’ve yelled something that probably wouldn’t have been received too well. There’s a good chance additional back and forth stupidity would follow. I think you handled it both appropriately and better than I think I would have.

I would have called him out, somewhat politely, but called clubhouse immediately

I would likely have called him out on it, as in your case probably not in the best mood. Depending on the exact moment would have defined how he would have been called out.

Probably would have called the pro shop and let them handle it. Dude is obviously a hothead and you're outnumbered, think of it as "course management".

There is likely nothing that you could have said that would have helped the situation.... (probably would’ve just helped your feelings at the moment). Sounds like you did good....and the pro shop would likely have done nothing.

You’re like 6 foot 15! Time to put the fear of God in some jabroni!

It has long been my theory that stupid people should be informed when they have made poor decisions.

I’m stupid when I’m pissed. I would’ve yelled something that probably wouldn’t have been received too well. There’s a good chance additional back and forth stupidity would follow. I think you handled it both appropriately and better than I think I would have.
That was me for years. I'm an older guy now and any fighting skills I may have once had are long gone. Still, whatever part of the brain that gets pissed sometimes takes over the common-sense part of the brain. There's a chance I would have reacted with a "WFT is wrong with you" and it wouldn't have gone well for me.

@Qwkz51 reacted in the appropriate/smart/adult way. I hope that guy gets what he deserves.

1-1 wouldn't have been an issue. 4:1 are unfavorable odds.
“I don’t know how many of them it would take to whip my @ss, but I know how many they were going to use! And, that’s a handy bit of information!🤣🤣🤣”-Ron “tater salad” White

I would visualise firing a warning shot through his head and then say 'what's the delay'.

Meh. That day, I'd be living my best life. I'm on the golf course. I'm playing golf! And I try to be non-confrontational so I'd let it go. Besides, I don't know if that guy's life sucks, he's getting a divorce, and his dog might have died.:confused2: Who knows why some people are the way they are? I'd let it go but that's me.

Meh. That day, I'd be living my best life. I'm on the golf course. I'm playing golf! And I try to be non-confrontational so I'd let it go. Besides, I don't know if that guy's life sucks, he's getting a divorce, and his dog might have died.:confused2: Who knows why some people are the way they are? I'd let it go but that's me.
If I hadn't played a 2hr 9 hole round behind them that might be me too most of the time....Plus this guy is that a-hole all the time. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I would have given him a look, and then question his unforgiving or unapologetic reaction to his stupidity. From there, I’m good with 4-1 because they’ed be retarded if they were coming at me swinging a club at them like he was swinging at that PVC pipe. Ya, it’s 4-1 but one of them is getting a 2 iron upside the head (yes I have a 2 iron in the bag) and they know one of them is getting it. They just don’t know who, and that tends to keep them in check. Not my first rodeo in that aspect.

If I hadn't played a 2hr 9 hole round behind them that might be me too most of the time....Plus this guy is that a-hole all the time. 🤷🏼‍♂️
There are some people in life who just badly need a good, solid azz whuppin', and he's obviously one of them. There are few things I enjoy more than seeing people get what they deserve, but I'm pretty prudent about picking my battles. Some Richard with anger control issues isn't worth me getting banged up over, unless he decides to make me the target of his anger. Then we'll tend to that azz whuppin'.

Tough situation, but I don’t have patience for guys who are going to vandalize the golf course.

You wanna be an idiot and throw your clubs in the lake? Fine. But don’t wreck the course.

I’m no stranger to confrontation, so I’d say something that gives him an out.

“Nice swing, but either you call the clubhouse right now, or I am.”

Update: the owner called me and said he had confronted him on the course and at first didn't acknowledge he did anything then when he said "you hit the person behind you with the broken parts.." he apologized and said he'd cover the damage 🙄 he said he was getting hustled and was down 4 holes through 9. Then he said he'd call me and apologize, 1. He doesn't have my number 2. I told the owner not to bother, I wasn't looking for an apology after being forced to, I'd just prefer him not to be an ass on the course.

Back