Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

so, I got my first full round in with my Mashie, M1...wow. Mashie my face off. I flippin love it. I will be buying more mashies!

Par 4 315 yards....Mashie to 73 yards out

Welcome to the world of the Mashie lovers. I still have not mastered the M1 but I am working on it, love the M3 and M5 though.

still loving my M3!!

I used the heck out of the M3 yesterday. Nailed a 197 yard par 3 that played uphill (I know its short compared to you longer hitters haha). I tried it out of the bunker and failed. I don't know what it was, maybe the half buried lie but I had to try it. I was in position though to hit my PW onto the green for my 3rd on a par 5. I did snap hook it once as I was getting a little handsy on some shots.

My M3 is easily my 200-205 yard club. I've hit it further but I'm finding the tempo I use for that shot is easy to repeat. I can step on it but I just have to be aware of what my hands are doing. The shaft can easily handle a faster swing but its my hands that get in the way. That's why any club though.

The M1 I only used 2x. Both on Par 5s. One was a slice but I was only about 20-30 yards off line and had a good shot into the green for my 3rd. The other Par 5 I blasted it. 256 left and I was on pin high, off the side of the green. Got some extra roll but I love this club. It's a long hitter for me and I haven't missed my 3w since putting it in the bag.

Saw this at Edwin Watts today. Sweet!

02d2ec81.jpg

Tapatalk makes meetings so much fun.

I played tonight and used my M3 from every par 4 and 5 apart from 3. Also used it one 1 par 3. I am still loving it. It's so easy to get the ball airborne and I am keeping the ball in the fairway with it too. I am hitting it anywhere from 200 - 220 yards depending on conditions. It has replaced my 3w from the tee

As soon as I have some disposable funds I shall be getting myself an M1 to replace the 3w completely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk because I am away from my Mac

so, I got my first full round in with my Mashie, M1...wow. Mashie my face off. I flippin love it. I will be buying more mashies!

Par 4 315 yards....Mashie to 73 yards out

I think I need lessons! :confused2:

So is the Mashie supposed to be a hybrid, fairway wood, or what? I like everything I hear about it, It just confuses me. Is it like...a utility club almost?

The Japanese version of the mashie and a fine club it is too. Sorry about the photo quality.

20110518082137.jpg

20110518082201.jpg

20110518082217.jpg

So is the Mashie supposed to be a hybrid, fairway wood, or what? I like everything I hear about it, It just confuses me. Is it like...a utility club almost?

It is a hybrid that is so versatile that it's being used everywhere. The M1 is replacing 3W's for a lot of people, including me. I'm still not supremely confident with it yet, but I do hit it pretty well.

The Japanese version of the mashie and a fine club it is too. Sorry about the photo quality.

20110518082137.jpg

20110518082201.jpg

20110518082217.jpg

No pics showing up, just red x's

I am contemplating regripping my mashie with a Golf Pride Multi Compound grip. Will this affect the club in any way as it currently has a lightweight grip fitted

I am guessing that I won't notice any difference myself but would like to make sure first

I am contemplating regripping my mashie with a Golf Pride Multi Compound grip. Will this affect the club in any way as it currently has a lightweight grip fitted

I am guessing that I won't notice any difference myself but would like to make sure first

If you are adding a heavier grip than yes. I regripped mine though and didn't notice much of a difference

neither did I and I think it helps me by providing a consistent feel with the other clubs that I have the same grips on
If you are adding a heavier grip than yes. I regripped mine though and didn't notice much of a difference

The last couple of times out I've been using my M3 off the tee exclusively until I get the issues with my driver swing worked out on the range. Sure I've been giving up 25-30 yards of distance only knocking the M3 like 215-220 off the tee, but it goes nothing but straight and leaves me in the fairway every time. The M3 is also goof for me for like 200-210 off the deck. It's been a great club. I love the M4 in my bag as well and have had nothing but good results whether I am doing a full shot or choking down to take a little distance off of it.

Since I still need to add a 3w to my bag, I'm only playing 12 clubs right now and it has gotten me thinking about adding an M5 to my bag for thos days I want a little higher flight and softer landing over what I get out of my 5i.

Put the R11 in the garage today. Picked up the M1 from Roots and Relics. Ready to see what ol' buddy can do compared to the R11 3 wood! The results were great when I had an M1 to demo for a few days a few weeks back.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

Finally decided today to try out a set of heavier grips on the Mashies. I put my second most preferred grip on the Mashies, the white Golf Pride VDR's. So far from swinging around in the back yard I can't tell a difference in balance or overall feel for the club. I'll see how these work out on the actual course tomorrow and maybe update tomorrow night.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

I still have 1 NDMC grip left over so am thinking about putting that on the M3. My only real concern is lining it up correctly

I put GP midsize multi-compound grips on my mashies and had a little bit of trouble getting the grip started. It felt as if the butt diameter of the mashie was a little bigger than my other clubs? I finally got the grips on and they do feel a bit larger than the rest of the grips in my set.

No complaints from here though - they feel great and the clubs perform great.

I have heard about the butt size from other places. I may just stick with the stock grip until it wears down. This way when I get the M1 both will have the same grip on them

I still have 1 NDMC grip left over so am thinking about putting that on the M3. My only real concern is lining it up correctly

I replaced my grips recently with Cleveland Launcher .610 grips (not exactly the same & 4g heavier) since they were available on Golfsmith. They still were a pain to get on but I made sure to mark the bottom alignment arrow of the original grip on the shaft before pulling the old ones off. Even though I botched getting all of the grip aligned, since I torqued it a bit, I know the bottom arrow is spot on.

Also, my pro had me move the club well up my stance, towards the left foot or target, and I am getting much better contact now. I have to be careful not to pull it, though, but at least it is hitting up in the air now like I feel a hybrid should do.

Just regripped it, had trouble getting the grip started and then it got stuck 3/4 of the way down (and I used plenty of solvent). Managed to get it on and aligned (thanks for the tip), although I don't think the butt of the grip is all the way to the butt of the shaft. Shouldn't cause me any issues as my normal grip is usualy around 1/2 inch from the top of the shaft anyway. If it does I will take it to the range and get them to regrip it for me

I haves used 2 grips so far. First the lamkin performance plus 3gen, which was just too big for the fat shaft, then the VDRs...I like it, but it's fatter than I would prefer.

Secondly, this is a fantastic club for me off the tee (m1), but I still hook too many from the fairway. I want to hit the A12 soon.

Currently playing a 19* Nike Dymo 5w and 21* Nike Sumo 3h. The gap between both clubs is too little for me. 200-210 yards with the 5w and 190-200 yards with the 3 hybrid. Considering the M1 and M3 as replacements. The loft on my 4 iron which I never use is 22*. Would the M2 and M4 be better options for me? Anybody with any similar experience in selection of lofts please point me in the right direction? I'm looking for a go to 190-200 yard club and a 220+ yard club. Leaning towards the M1 and M3 combo.

M1, M3 combo should achieve the distances and gaps that you want.

Back