Ben Hogan Precision Milled Putters

“I’d like to be buried with this putter”

-Init.6
(on the BHB02 by Ben Hogan)

End review.

Seriously, this putter has been a fantastic add to the bag. I have been playing an ER2 by EVNROLL for the most part these past 3 years and my biggest issue has been lag putting. The ER2 is a mid-blade putter, which is significantly wider than the B02 (and supposedly more forgiving). Problem is, I don’t have an issue finding the center of the putter face. My problem is more mental: specifically, being too delicate with a heftier putter like the ER2. I’ll leave my putts short for the first 4-5 holes and then over-correct and blast them 5 feet past for the rest of the round. As a mid-capper, my ball can be anywhere from 15-50 feet away from the hole and not having the confidence to give it a solid stroke has been the death of my rounds many weekends. The B02 is visually slim while weighing roughly 355g compared to the 385g ER2 at 33”. The feel of the putter is harder than the ER2, but overall I’d still consider it a softer feeling putter that will give you feedback but not penalize you for being just off in either the toe or heel. I love how balanced the putter feels going back and through, and the double-bend shaft on the B02 frames the ball perfectly with my stroke. I putt with a bit of a hunch, eyes right over the ball—and the B02 sits slightly behind that, allowing my arms to effortlessly hang where I want them to, while not obstructing my view of the ball or forcing me to move my head. Very comfortable to stand over and putt.

The big difference to me, is long-range consistency. I don’t think the putter sinks as many in the 2-5 foot range over the ER2 (though I haven’t put them head-to-head yet), but what does that matter if I’m constantly hitting my 2nd putt from 3-6 feet? The B02 is more likely to leave me inches, not feet away (from distances of 10, 20, 30, 50 feet) so “tap-ins” have been a welcome reprieve over the stressful 5’ for par putts. Realistically, this putter isn’t going to take 4 strokes off my game anytime soon, but the no-frills, stress free action I’m getting out of it so far has made putting a lot more fun these past few rounds.

“I’d like to be buried with this putter”

-Init.6
(on the BHB02 by Ben Hogan)

End review.

Seriously, this putter has been a fantastic add to the bag. I have been playing an ER2 by EVNROLL for the most part these past 3 years and my biggest issue has been lag putting. The ER2 is a mid-blade putter, which is significantly wider than the B02 (and supposedly more forgiving). Problem is, I don’t have an issue finding the center of the putter face. My problem is more mental: specifically, being too delicate with a heftier putter like the ER2. I’ll leave my putts short for the first 4-5 holes and then over-correct and blast them 5 feet past for the rest of the round. As a mid-capper, my ball can be anywhere from 15-50 feet away from the hole and not having the confidence to give it a solid stroke has been the death of my rounds many weekends. The B02 is visually slim while weighing roughly 355g compared to the 385g ER2 at 33”. The feel of the putter is harder than the ER2, but overall I’d still consider it a softer feeling putter that will give you feedback but not penalize you for being just off in either the toe or heel. I love how balanced the putter feels going back and through, and the double-bend shaft on the B02 frames the ball perfectly with my stroke. I putt with a bit of a hunch, eyes right over the ball—and the B02 sits slightly behind that, allowing my arms to effortlessly hang where I want them to, while not obstructing my view of the ball or forcing me to move my head. Very comfortable to stand over and putt.

The big difference to me, is long-range consistency. I don’t think the putter sinks as many in the 2-5 foot range over the ER2 (though I haven’t put them head-to-head yet), but what does that matter if I’m constantly hitting my 2nd putt from 3-6 feet? The B02 is more likely to leave me inches, not feet away (from distances of 10, 20, 30, 50 feet) so “tap-ins” have been a welcome reprieve over the stressful 5’ for par putts. Realistically, this putter isn’t going to take 4 strokes off my game anytime soon, but the no-frills, stress free action I’m getting out of it so far has made putting a lot more fun these past few rounds.
Glad to hear it's working. Explains why JB was telling us you drained some long bomb around hole 16 for birdie and the win on that hole.

Got a new grip on the BHB01 tonight. Even after a handful of mat putts there's a big improvement. Was frustrating not being able to put a consistent stroke on it before just due to the grip.

Excited to get it back on course. 👍

The mallet continues to put more speed on the ball than I'm accounting for. I 3 putted twice from 15 feet because the ball caught the right edge both times and did a 90 degree slingshot 7 feet by the hole.

BUT, I really think I figured something out on the 16th green. I adjusted my setup and it felt like something clicked. Drained back to back 8 foot par putts to end the round. With a good stroke this putter feels so good and solid and puts a nice roll on it.

The mallet continues to put more speed on the ball than I'm accounting for. I 3 putted twice from 15 feet because the ball caught the right edge both times and did a 90 degree slingshot 7 feet by the hole.

BUT, I really think I figured something out on the 16th green. I adjusted my setup and it felt like something clicked. Drained back to back 8 foot par putts to end the round. With a good stroke this putter feels so good and solid and puts a nice roll on it.
I went from a blade to the BHM01, and it definitely took a few rounds to get used to it. But I'll bet once you get used to you, you will love it! I've never hit so many long putts before gaming it!

I don't think there's a better putter out there for this price. (maybe the clevelands get close but I don't think they look near as good.)

The feel is a bit softer than I prefer (I'm weird and like clickier strikes) but still solid and very consistent for a pretty wide area, which is not always the case with these anser styles. Nothing jumping off the face too much.

The shape and tri-sole are nearly flawless. The grip change is making a world of difference, the weight and balance concern i was having was grip/stability dependent, which is a whole other thread. 🧐

The platinum nickel finish is just stunning. A little bit of glare after having multiple dark putters. I might go for black due to this if i had to choose again. Might try to dull some of the top surfaces if this looks like it's a gamer moving forward.

I don't think there's a better putter out these for this price. (maybe the clevelands get close but I don't think they look near as good.)

The platinum nickel finish is just stunning. A little bit of glare after having multiple dark putters. I might go for black due to this if i had to choose again. Might try to dull some of the top surfaces if this looks like it's a gamer moving forward.
I agree with your thoughts on price. A great price for what you get!

I've loved the Black finish on the mallet. Looks great, and has held up just as well.

I have yet to play golf since the Hogan event, but I'm excited to get the Hogan on my home course.

The putter I decided on from the Ben Hogan event was the BHM01 in platinum nickel and I think it looks great. I struggled with it the first few tries but have become very comfortable with it since and find I am missing closer when I miss and seeing much improved distance control. My highlight was yesterday at Purgatory draining a 15 foot double breaker. Boy that felt nice :)

Got out for 18 more holes with this putter. It was pretty much more of the same. Greens were rolling pretty quick and it's taking me awhile to re-calibrate my sense of how far a putt will roll for a given length stroke. This mallet is a sledgehammer. I continue to blow putts 5-7 feet by the hole. The good news is that I'm making a lot of these coming back, which was previously not a strong suit of mine. I'm really gaining some confidence from this distance.

I also want to touch on the forgiveness in the mallet. I tend to miss putts on the toe and had a tendency of coming up short when that happened. I've had some of those same strikes with this putter and my first reaction was "damn that's short". But without fail those balls all made it to the hole. Definitely a good thing for my game. I have a feeling that this one is settling in to a long term home in my bag.

For the Ben Hogan event, I selected the BHB02 face-balanced putter. I've been playing a Toulon Chicago for about a year now - side-by-side picture below. The BHB02 is a little bit wider heel-to-toe, and feels just slightly heavier, but otherwise very similar putters except... I am putting much better with the BHB02!!

During my first round with the putter at True Blue, I was very consistently hitting the right pace/distance, but my green-reading skills are awful. My one round with it back at my home course this past weekend wasn't too helpful since the front nine had been aerated but not the back nine and I never really got in a good rhythm. I was mostly repeating my results from True Blue except for my mental yips when I finally had a good look at ~15 ft uphill for birdie and left it way short.

I have been rolling a lot of putts on my Perfect Practice mat comparing the two putters, expecting the Toulon to outperform but the BHB02 keeps prevailing. I am just hitting it so much straighter and controlling the distance better with this putter. There is also a forgiveness to the BHB02 that just isn't there in the Toulon. I still get pretty good results when hitting towards the toe or heel, whereas many times the ball just seems to die when miss-hit with the Toulon. Thanks to all this side-by-side, I now know that I really prefer the Super Stroke grip over the Odyssey oversized grip and I'm contemplating swapping this out to continue the comparison, but I think the BHB02 has already won.

The only slight negative that I can come up with is the sound. I am used to the Toulon having a nice muted thump of a sound when hitting the ball, while the BHB02 will sometimes have a slightly higher pitched 'ting' to it. Very minor but noticeable at times.

Overall I'm very happy and surprised with how well this putter is working for me after blindly picking it out for the event!

PXL_20211111_165024045.MP.jpg

Got out for 18 more holes with this putter. It was pretty much more of the same. Greens were rolling pretty quick and it's taking me awhile to re-calibrate my sense of how far a putt will roll for a given length stroke. This mallet is a sledgehammer. I continue to blow putts 5-7 feet by the hole. The good news is that I'm making a lot of these coming back, which was previously not a strong suit of mine. I'm really gaining some confidence from this distance.

I also want to touch on the forgiveness in the mallet. I tend to miss putts on the toe and had a tendency of coming up short when that happened. I've had some of those same strikes with this putter and my first reaction was "damn that's short". But without fail those balls all made it to the hole. Definitely a good thing for my game. I have a feeling that this one is settling in to a long term home in my bag.

Thought for you to consider....

Our BH putters came with the Counter weight option SS grips. Consider trying a counter weight to help you with your distance control. SS sells 25g, 50g and 100g flavors. Perhaps invest in the 25g to see if it will help.

I've found that finding the right mix of swing weight/counter weight in a putter can make a big difference on feel and distance control.

Its a relatively inexpensive experiment. Plus the weight can always be held for any future putter setups.

Thought for you to consider....

Our BH putters came with the Counter weight option SS grips. Consider trying a counter weight to help you with your distance control. SS sells 25g, 50g and 100g flavors. Perhaps invest in the 25g to see if it will help.

I've found that finding the right mix of swing weight/counter weight in a putter can make a big difference on feel and distance control.

Its a relatively inexpensive experiment. Plus the weight can always be held for any future putter setups.
This is scary good advice. The idea crossed my mind but now I think I need to pull the trigger. I just chalked it up to extra headweight.

The putter is really close but I'm lacking a bit of finesse. Just checked swingweight and it's at E2 vs my other putter at D1. So yeah a bit different feel there.

This is scary good advice. The idea crossed my mind but now I think I need to pull the trigger. I just chalked it up to extra headweight.

The putter is really close but I'm lacking a bit of finesse. Just checked swingweight and it's at E2 vs my other putter at D1. So yeah a bit different feel there.

Confession time. I didn't know this was a thing...

Counter core grips. I'm totally unfamiliar with the concept...
Plenty of info out there on Google and I'm sure on THP. That will be some nice light reading for tonight. If you look at the butt end of your putter grip you will see a metal cap with a hex fitting. You can remove that and thread in various weights that Superstroke sells, thus counter weighting the putter. This changes the overall balance of the putter.

Little glare action.

20211112_153851.jpg

Bit of a hot spot during practice today, but seems more up/down vs left/right. Still much easier to square up with new grip.

Well hello. Thanks Amazon 1 day shipping. This took the swingweight from E2 to D7. Could be my imagination but it does feel a little better balanced. Now I just need to find a place to roll some putts with this winter weather.

20211113_154120.jpg

Back