Kona's walk yesterday, decided to work on some basic obedience while we were out, the kind of stuff that he's pretty good at, and good enough for me most of the time, but not as solid as he could be. We worked on walking at heel, which he knows, but I usually don't bother with as long as he keeps slack in the leash, some sit/down/stay, again things he knows but he's not really solid, and even did a little off-leash. He could be rock solid on all this stuff if I put more time and effort into it, something I might start doing, just to provide him with more mental stimulation. Here are a couple of pics:

Sit and stay, he lets me get a good distance away from him before he starts creeping a bit, nice picture too, such a beautiful afternoon.

Kona_Slay.jpg

I think I wore him out, this is his bed in the living room, we call it his playpen because he keeps all his toys and chews in it, and he was sound asleep pretty early.

Kona_Sleep.jpg

Kona's walk yesterday, decided to work on some basic obedience while we were out, the kind of stuff that he's pretty good at, and good enough for me most of the time, but not as solid as he could be. We worked on walking at heel, which he knows, but I usually don't bother with as long as he keeps slack in the leash, some sit/down/stay, again things he knows but he's not really solid, and even did a little off-leash. He could be rock solid on all this stuff if I put more time and effort into it, something I might start doing, just to provide him with more mental stimulation. Here are a couple of pics:

Sit and stay, he lets me get a good distance away from him before he starts creeping a bit, nice picture too, such a beautiful afternoon.

View attachment 9045591

I think I wore him out, this is his bed in the living room, we call it his playpen because he keeps all his toys and chews in it, and he was sound asleep pretty early.

View attachment 9045592
A little obedience work is always a good thing! Mental and physical exercise!

Do you bring any treats with you on your walks when the plan is to also do some work?

She's gone. I know she's not suffering any longer but the last look she gave me as she was getting the Propofol shot broke my heart.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.
So sorry for your loss. Always a hard decision to make.

A little obedience work is always a good thing! Mental and physical exercise!

Do you bring any treats with you on your walks when the plan is to also do some work?
Yeah, I bring some small treats. Even though Kona isn't really treat motivated, praise is usually all he needs, I still like to give him a little something.

Yeah, I bring some small treats. Even though Kona isn't really treat motivated, praise is usually all he needs, I still like to give him a little something.
Interesting to see what motivates each dog - they're such individuals!

Interesting to see what motivates each dog - they're such individuals!
Yeah, German Shepherds are typically not real food motivated. Still, my previous German Shepherd would put on a clinic when he knew I had training treats in my pocket, Kona not so much. Sometimes Kona will even drop the treat, kind of his way of saying "I really don't need this." :confused2:

Really sorry for your loss @Parrot . We have a 17 1/2 year old that we will be making that decision very soon. I'm afraid that she will not be with us for her 18th birthday.

My oldest daughter had to say goodbye to her 15 year old Golden Retriever yesterday. Hard to believe that she had his love and companionship for most of her adult life, getting him as a puppy a couple of years after college, but finally had to see him go. Fortunately it was just old age, without any debilitating diseases or conditions.

My oldest daughter had to say goodbye to her 15 year old Golden Retriever yesterday. Hard to believe that she had his love and companionship for most of her adult life, getting him as a puppy a couple of years after college, but finally had to see him go. Fortunately it was just old age, without any debilitating diseases or conditions.

Sorry to hear about your loss. 15 years is a lot of great memories that you all can hopefully look back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6e4473d1e9387e5910d1b015dc23d87b.jpg

I entered my good boy Cooper in the Budweiser “Pupweiser” contest on Twitter. Win or lose he’s still a handsome dude!!

The time has come. Several weeks ago, Molly stopped eating but we were able to give her some meds to spur her appetite. Then a steroid was added to help further. She has now stopped eating, even with the meds, and has difficulty breathing. Her movements are incredibly limited. Her kidneys and liver numbers are declining and the muscle wasting has started. The tumor has probably quadrupled in size and is pressing on her other organs. It’s the right decision to euthanize her to end her suffering.

This is my girl. I’m going to miss her so much.

View attachment 9044886
Thinking of you @Parrot and your pretty girl Molly. May she rest in peace. Never gets easier.

Kona is an absolute beauty, handsome fellow.

This obedience concept, Maisie does not understand the idea of not doing what she wants, bassets are not built to obey.

IMG_0027.JPG

This is the ' I have ignored you once, why do I have to do it again look' when she is told to 'walk away from the food'.

We lost our sweet baby girl this aft. She was spoiled,loved and will be so missed. She can now join her brother over that rainbow bridge. RIP Jewels
B388216E-CCF9-4F5D-9ACC-E31A0724188A.jpeg

We lost our sweet baby girl this aft. She was spoiled,loved and will be so missed. She can now join her brother over that rainbow bridge. RIP Jewels
View attachment 9045983

Sorry to hear about your family’s loss. Jewels must have been a great friend.

222E0011-75C3-4C72-ADD0-033CA3889138.jpeg
Our old man Tucker keeping a side eye on the GP this morning.

The time has come. Several weeks ago, Molly stopped eating but we were able to give her some meds to spur her appetite. Then a steroid was added to help further. She has now stopped eating, even with the meds, and has difficulty breathing. Her movements are incredibly limited. Her kidneys and liver numbers are declining and the muscle wasting has started. The tumor has probably quadrupled in size and is pressing on her other organs. It’s the right decision to euthanize her to end her suffering.

This is my girl. I’m going to miss her so much.

View attachment 9044886

Really sorry for your loss @Parrot I feel so bad for you & your family. Prayers sent your way! Just think of the great times you had with her & the great life you gave her.

I don't know what I'm going to do when I lose my Chessie. :cry:

View attachment 9045983
I'm so sorry, B. I hope she's met Mollie and they're trash talking our golf games.

Back