2022 Callaway Rogue ST Driver Lineup

Dig the matte crown on these. So many great choices for people coming out. I have to go do some work will be back for more the the GD reviews!

Some great initial thoughts in here already. I’m a big fan of the matte finish. Glad they brought it back.

Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS Review

Driver History

Let me start off by saying I have been a Callaway fan going on 18 years now, having at least 1 Callaway club in my bag since then. My first ever club fitting was for a Callaway Razrhawk driver in 2013. Tour head with a stiff shaft cut down ½”. It was custom built on sight from the Callaway tour truck that was doing demo days across this area at the time. I still have that driver.

Fast forward to 2019 and after using the same driver for 6 years, it was time for an upgrade. Maybe 5 months before I joined THP, I got fit for an Epic Flash SubZero. Definitely a step up from the Razrhawk. A very polarizing driver. A lot of people either seemed to love it or hate it. I personally loved the sound and as someone who tends to have a slot of spin, the super low spin of the head was a good thing. That being said, there were times where I would hit nasty knuckleballs with it. Sometimes they would go forever. Other times they would drop out of the air like a golf-ball sized hail stone after the wind died. Overall, a lot of fun but not always the most controllable head.

Fast forward again to January of 2021. This is after the cancellation of the 2020 Grandaddy and the Grandmama. @JasonFinley offers the 4 of us a chance to select one of the new Epic Speed line that was new in 2021. Given my history with the Epic Flash SubZero and what @Dnevs was saying about the Max LS being ultra forgiving AND not as low spin as the SubZero, I pick that one as the best option sight unseen. And it is great. The Epic Max LS is the best driver I have every played. Up until the Grandaddy.

Notice that I didn’t mention any Rogue drivers in my history and I skipped the Mavrik line altogether as I was still running the Epic Flash SubZero at the time. For full disclosure, I was never a huge fan of the Rogue line. I tried them but for some reason, just never clicked with me. I also did hit the Mavrik SubZero and really liked it but wasn’t enough different to swap out for the Epic Flash Subzero. That being said, I was walking into the Grandaddy with an open mind as the Callaway crew have been rocking on all cylinders with each release.

Current Driver

The Epic Max LS is a fantastic driver. It is a great combo of forgiving, speed off the face, and low spin. I play it at a 9 degree head turned down to 8 degrees. The adjustment weight I tend to play more toe side as my default swing is a baby draw and as part of the setup, I was trying to eliminate the hard left shot off the tee as much as possible. For 2021, I bounced around between a ProjetX Smoke Black RDX shaft in 60g Xstiff, a ProjectX Smoke Blue RDX in 60g XStiff, and a LINQ Purple 7F5 shaft. Each brough a different benefit to it but in each case, the head was a good match. The Epic Max LS ended up delivering my longest measured drive I ever hit outdoors at 347 yards.

That being said, it wasn’t perfect. The hot zone was definitely slightly high and slightly toe side to get the max carry out of it but go to far off the toe and you had a long sweeper. While I was trying to get less draw centric and more fade centric, the head was one that loved to go left side for me.

The Fitting

At the ECPC, Jason was my fitter. We talked about my driver swing and my normal ball flight and what was my problem areas are. Fundamental here is my driver swing in a nutshell:

• Natural draw swing
  • Tend to spin it a lot
  • Have a +4-5 degree angle of attack
  • Tend to block things right when I worry about over hooking the ball
  • Have my Epic Max LS turned down to 8 to hit the launch window and slider weight to the tow to help stop the case of the lefties.
  • Average swing speed when warmed up is 110-112 mph

Jason’s answer? Lets go straight to the Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS. I wasn’t going to argue. This is like Max Verstappen listening to your driving habits in your car and saying, lets go right for the Ferrari. You say “Yes please”. Jason’s reasoning was that based on how I was swinging the irons and the UW which I had done before I did the driver and based on what I was already playing, the Max LS or the Triple Diamond LS was where we would end up. His gut feeling? The Triple Diamond was the right head. It would help alleviate the left side of the fairway for me and allow me to swing freer with more trust which would help eliminate the block rights.

All things I wanted to hear. This was all before I hit a single ball with any driver head.

Out came the head and it looks phenomenal. Once I started hitting it, there was no doubt this was the head for me. The head is more forgiving than you would think given some of the reviews and expectations. I went through a few different shafts but ended up getting fit into the Ventus Blue 6x as the best option in the limited time we had.

IMG-20211211-WA0028__01.jpg

Hard to argue when this is the 2nd ball you ever hit with it. I hit about 15 shots or so with probably 10 of those being in the Ventus Blue shaft. Overall averages were in the slightly over 165mph ball speed, around 280 carry and ~2200 spin with launch windows in the 12 degree on average. This was at an 8 degree setting on the head which matches where I play my Epic Max LS.

Last edited:
The looks

This is easily the best looking driver I have seen in a while.

The SS22 flash face is a little more muted in the graphics than the Epic Speed series but it looks really good. The star of the show has to be the matte graphite crown and the sole. Understated but striking at the same time. The gold color of the tungsten speed cartridge and the matching highlights on the crown and sole are a great match. Just a really good looking head visually.

IMG_20220103_175217__01.jpg
IMG_20220103_175415__01.jpg
IMG_20220103_175427__01.jpg
IMG_20220103_175830__01.jpg

Lucky for me, and unlucky for @Afizzle2100, I got his driver sent to me. Aaron got fit in the Max D cover which is on one end of the Rogue ST release spectrum. This gave me a great opportunity to do a bit of a comparison between the Max D on one end and the Triple Diamond LS on the other end. You’ll notice the soles are very similar, shapes are very distinctly different but what surprised me was the crowns are different.

Triple Diamond LS on top, Max D on the bottom
IMG_20211229_122403__01.jpg

Triple Diamond LS on right, Max D on the left
IMG_20211229_123515.jpg

Triple Diamond LS behind face on, Max D in the front
IMG_20211229_123247.jpg

Triple Diamond LS to the left, Max D to the right
IMG_20211229_122304__01.jpg

The Tech

@Jman covered all of this but I feel like I need to add just a couple of comments. The Jail break technology is back and better than ever. The new flash face with the AI configuration is in its next iteration of maturity and the unibody with carbon inserts allow a ton of flexibility which Callaway has taken advantage of. My Triple diamond head weighed in just a few grams heavier than my Epic Max LS head. The real change in the Rogue ST line? The tungsten speed cartridge. The gold screwed in thing at the back really helps shift the weight low and to the rear of the head upping the MOI on heads that normally wouldn’t get as much forgiveness, like the Triple Diamond LS for example.

Won’t go to much into this as @Jman covered it all and there’s lot of marketing literature on the features.

The Sound and Feel

The sound on this driver is different than the previous models. Its more muted, more thumpy and less tinny. As we all know that feel and sound are always tied together so the sound is really pleasing which really adds to the overall feel. You can somewhat hear the strike in the video below. When you nut it, the feeling is fantastic. When you hit off the center of the face, its still solid but you can notice a difference in the feel of the strike giving you feedback. I have taken this to the driving range and the sim ( more on that below ) and when I mis hit it, I take a guess where and I was easily able to tell where I missed it.

View attachment 174698-12ab4c5cbb16be183db402255ed524a7.mov

The Performance

Time to get to the good stuff. This thing does exactly what it supposed to do. Its an anti-left, low spinning bomber.

During the Grandaddy, the club was delivered to the Hideaway with a Ventus Red instead of a Ventus Blue. The red is a great shaft but to high launching/spinning for what I was looking for so I swapped it out with my existing RDX Smoke Black shaft for the events. Both are 60 gram, XStiff shafts.

Across both days, the driver performed fantastic. Ignoring the first 3 holes where jitters were getting the best of me, the rest of Day 1 was a great day for me driving. I think of the rest of the round, I only missed the fairway once when I was expecting it to turn and it went dead straight. I hit multiple shots over 300 during the day, the longest being on #17, our last hole when we were battling for the 2nd point of the day with @JohnnyCallaway and Royce. 529 yard par 5 and it went 317. Royce promptly flew by me in the air on his massive 330+ drive on the same hole. Damn that guy pounds the ball.

Day 2 was not as great a day but the ball flight was consistent and straight. The driver continued to impress and reinforce the that it was the right choice for me. On hole 15 on the Dye course which is a short par4, it was playing 318 yards to the pin and I gave it a whack. Straight, baby fade, ended up pin high just in the first cut. The ability to control the face and the confidence this inspires at address is really a game changer for me.

IMG-20220104-WA0003.jpg

A couple of weekends ago, I took the head to a local GC Quad sim bay so I could put it through its paces and spent 2 hours running through configurations, playing with shafts, etc. These numbers were with same RDX Smoke Black shaft I played at the Grandaddy.

IMG_20211218_151417.jpg
IMG_20211218_150823.jpg

The spin profile is exactly where I want it. Launch is good and direction was great. I tried to shape some shots which is why you see some left and right shots with variation of ball speed so I could see how hard it was to get the head to move in either direction. Really easy to vary my fade distance. I could get it to draw but you could definitely feel like it didn’t want to. My “fairway finder” swing is going to be really easy to manage and control.

Conclusions

This driver is amazing. Way more forgiving than the Triple Diamond LS name would imply and absolutely nailed on the look and feel. The matte crown is beautiful and the sole I could stare at for hours. The anti left setup works great for me and I can really see this driver being a game changer in one area of my game I already thought was one of my strongest. Now to wait for 3 months of snow and cold until I can get it out back in the open air and on the grass.

It’s going to be a long 3 months…..

Last edited:
I'll have more of a review up later, but the Rogue ST Max LS is a game changer for me. This is why I have gained so much confidence off of the tee. And Distance!!!! and Forgiveness!!!!!!! Being properly fit for this driver is going to make 2022 the year of Bombs for me!!!!!!
What were the numbers they got you to? I remember you hitting your driver so high when we played

Nice write up @Jman and great reviews so far by the GD crew. I love callaway drivers so definitely looking forward to trying this one out.

Pretty cool stuff! While I just upgraded this past year and won't be looking to do that again anytime soon, it's cool to see and hear from forum members that the new product is actually working well for them.

Great write up - this is so interesting. Unless something puts me in a new driver I'm very happy with what I bought last year but great to read about. I also really like the time that the GD members took to write and give pictures so far, knowing there will likely be more.

The matte finish the subtle color difference all look great to me. I think these are going to be great for a lot of people, if I didn't have a 2021 driver I might would absolutely be in the market for one.

I look forward to hearing what driver you ended up with and your thoughts. (y)
Haha what I got fit to isn’t what I currently have. I mention that in my write up which I should have out soon. Super busy morning at work so far!

Dang, these awesome writeups from the GD crew are going to cost me some money this year!

I want an LS.

What is your clubhead speed? Also a #ShortKnocker.

High 90s, game speed is low 100s.

I think this one was 98 or so.

For this fit though, I was just going for smooth, and middle face.

Out at the Hideaway I was probably low 100s. And This bad b*tch, straight performed!

@Nappy could probably agree with that.

Is it safe to say the Triple Diamond (non LS version) will be a later release...?

If I recall, it was on the USGA confirming list, but not mentioned here...

I can already tell I am getting nothing done today with all the Callaway drops and the corresponding Granddaddy reviews. Today is going to be a good day.

I know the feeling! Unfortunately, our office has been closed and playing catch up stinks!

Driver History

Let me start off by saying I have been a Callaway fan going on 18 years now, having at least 1 Callaway club in my bag since then. My first ever club fitting was for a Callaway Razrhawk driver in 2013. Tour head with a stiff shaft cut down ½”. It was custom built on sight from the Callaway tour truck that was doing demo days across this area at the time. I still have that driver.

Fast forward to 2019 and after using the same driver for 6 years, it was time for an upgrade. Maybe 5 months before I joined THP, I got fit for an Epic Flash SubZero. Definitely a step up from the Razrhawk. A very polarizing driver. A lot of people either seemed to love it or hate it. I personally loved the sound and as someone who tends to have a slot of spin, the super low spin of the head was a good thing. That being said, there were times where I would hit nasty knuckleballs with it. Sometimes they would go forever. Other times they would drop out of the air like a golf-ball sized hail stone after the wind died. Overall, a lot of fun but not always the most controllable head.

Fast forward again to January of 2021. This is after the cancellation of the 2020 Grandaddy and the Grandmama. @JasonFinley offers the 4 of us a chance to select one of the new Epic Speed line that was new in 2021. Given my history with the Epic Flash SubZero and what @Dnevs was saying about the Max LS being ultra forgiving AND not as low spin as the SubZero, I pick that one as the best option sight unseen. And it is great. The Epic Max LS is the best driver I have every played. Up until the Grandaddy.

Notice that I didn’t mention any Rogue drivers in my history and I skipped the Mavrik line altogether as I was still running the Epic Flash SubZero at the time. For full disclosure, I was never a huge fan of the Rogue line. I tried them but for some reason, just never clicked with me. I also did hit the Mavrik SubZero and really liked it but wasn’t enough different to swap out for the Epic Flash Subzero. That being said, I was walking into the Grandaddy with an open mind as the Callaway crew have been rocking on all cylinders with each release.

Current Driver

The Epic Max LS is a fantastic driver. It is a great combo of forgiving, speed off the face, and low spin. I play it at a 9 degree head turned down to 8 degrees. The adjustment weight I tend to play more toe side as my default swing is a baby draw and as part of the setup, I was trying to eliminate the hard left shot off the tee as much as possible. For 2021, I bounced around between a ProjetX Smoke Black RDX shaft in 60g Xstiff, a ProjectX Smoke Blue RDX in 60g XStiff, and a LINQ Purple 7F5 shaft. Each brough a different benefit to it but in each case, the head was a good match. The Epic Max LS ended up delivering my longest measured drive I ever hit outdoors at 347 yards.

That being said, it wasn’t perfect. The hot zone was definitely slightly high and slightly toe side to get the max carry out of it but go to far off the toe and you had a long sweeper. While I was trying to get less draw centric and more fade centric, the head was one that loved to go left side for me.

The Fitting

At the ECPC, Jason was my fitter. We talked about my driver swing and my normal ball flight and what was my problem areas are. Fundamental here is my driver swing in a nutshell:

• Natural draw swing
  • Tend to spin it a lot
  • Have a +4-5 degree angle of attack
  • Tend to block things right when I worry about over hooking the ball
  • Have my Epic Max LS turned down to 8 to hit the launch window and slider weight to the tow to help stop the case of the lefties.
  • Average swing speed when warmed up is 110-112 mph

Jason’s answer? Lets go straight to the Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS. I wasn’t going to argue. This is like Max Verstappen listening to your driving habits in your car and saying, lets go right for the Ferrari. You say “Yes please”. Jason’s reasoning was that based on how I was swinging the irons and the UW which I had done before I did the driver and based on what I was already playing, the Max LS or the Triple Diamond LS was where we would end up. His gut feeling? The Triple Diamond was the right head. It would help alleviate the left side of the fairway for me and allow me to swing freer with more trust which would help eliminate the block rights.

All things I wanted to hear. This was all before I hit a single ball with any driver head.

Out came the head and it looks phenomenal. Once I started hitting it, there was no doubt this was the head for me. The head is more forgiving than you would think given some of the reviews and expectations. I went through a few different shafts but ended up getting fit into the Ventus Blue 6x as the best option in the limited time we had.

View attachment 9057213

Hard to argue when this is the 2nd ball you ever hit with it. I hit about 15 shots or so with probably 10 of those being in the Ventus Blue shaft. Overall averages were in the slightly over 165mph ball speed, around 280 carry and ~2200 spin with launch windows in the 12 degree on average. This was at an 8 degree setting on the head which matches where I play my Epic Max LS.

Great review!!!!! :love::love: this!

The looks

This is easily the best looking driver I have seen in a while.

The SS22 flash face is a little more muted in the graphics than the Epic Speed series but it looks really good. The star of the show has to be the matte graphite crown and the sole. Understated but striking at the same time. The gold color of the tungsten speed cartridge and the matching highlights on the crown and sole are a great match. Just a really good looking head visually.

View attachment 9057216
View attachment 9057215
View attachment 9057217
View attachment 9057218

Lucky for me, and unlucky for @Afizzle2100, I got his driver sent to me. Aaron got fit in the Max D cover which is on one end of the Rogue ST release spectrum. This gave me a great opportunity to do a bit of a comparison between the Max D on one end and the Triple Diamond LS on the other end. You’ll notice the soles are very similar, shapes are very distinctly different but what surprised me was the crowns are different.

Triple Diamond LS on top, Max D on the bottom
View attachment 9057220

Triple Diamond LS on right, Max D on the left
View attachment 9057221

Triple Diamond LS behind face on, Max D in the front
View attachment 9057222

Triple Diamond LS to the left, Max D to the right
View attachment 9057223

The Tech

@Jman covered all of this but I feel like I need to add just a couple of comments. The Jail break technology is back and better than ever. The new flash face with the AI configuration is in its next iteration of maturity and the unibody with carbon inserts allow a ton of flexibility which Callaway has taken advantage of. My Triple diamond head weighed in just a few grams heavier than my Epic Max LS head. The real change in the Rogue ST line? The tungsten speed cartridge. The gold screwed in thing at the back really helps shift the weight low and to the rear of the head upping the MOI on heads that normally wouldn’t get as much forgiveness, like the Triple Diamond LS for example.

Won’t go to much into this as @Jman covered it all and there’s lot of marketing literature on the features.

The Sound and Feel

The sound on this driver is different than the previous models. Its more muted, more thumpy and less tinny. As we all know that feel and sound are always tied together so the sound is really pleasing which really adds to the overall feel. You can somewhat hear the strike in the video below. When you nut it, the feeling is fantastic. When you hit off the center of the face, its still solid but you can notice a difference in the feel of the strike giving you feedback. I have taken this to the driving range and the sim ( more on that below ) and when I mis hit it, I take a guess where and I was easily able to tell where I missed it.

The Performance

Time to get to the good stuff. This thing does exactly what it supposed to do. Its an anti-left, low spinning bomber.

During the Grandaddy, the club was delivered to the Hideaway with a Ventus Red instead of a Ventus Blue. The red is a great shaft but to high launching/spinning for what I was looking for so I swapped it out with my existing RDX Smoke Black shaft for the events. Both are 60 gram, XStiff shafts.

Across both days, the driver performed fantastic. Ignoring the first 3 holes where jitters were getting the best of me, the rest of Day 1 was a great day for me driving. I think of the rest of the round, I only missed the fairway once when I was expecting it to turn and it went dead straight. I hit multiple shots over 300 during the day, the longest being on #17, our last hole when we were battling for the 2nd point of the day with @JohnnyCallaway and Royce. 529 yard par 5 and it went 317. Royce promptly flew by me in the air on his massive 330+ drive on the same hole. Damn that guy pounds the ball.

Day 2 was not as great a day but the ball flight was consistent and straight. The driver continued to impress and reinforce the that it was the right choice for me. On hole 15 on the Dye course which is a short par4, it was playing 318 yards to the pin and I gave it a whack. Straight, baby fade, ended up pin high just in the first cut. The ability to control the face and the confidence this inspires at address is really a game changer for me.

View attachment 9057224

A couple of weekends ago, I took the head to a local GC Quad sim bay so I could put it through its paces and spent 2 hours running through configurations, playing with shafts, etc. These numbers were with same RDX Smoke Black shaft I played at the Grandaddy.

View attachment 9057225
View attachment 9057226

The spin profile is exactly where I want it. Launch is good and direction was great. I tried to shape some shots which is why you see some left and right shots with variation of ball speed so I could see how hard it was to get the head to move in either direction. Really easy to vary my fade distance. I could get it to draw but you could definitely feel like it didn’t want to. My “fairway finder” swing is going to be really easy to manage and control.

Conclusions

This drive is amazing. Way more forgiving than the Triple Diamond LS name would imply and absolutely nailed on the look and feel. The matte crown is beautiful and the sole I could stare at for hours. The anti left setup works great for me and I can really see this driver being a game changer in one area of my game I already thought was one of my strongest. Now to wait for 3 months of snow and cold until I can get it out back in the open air and on the grass.

It’s going to be a long 3 months…..

I watched you pound this thing like a war drum for three days straight! 🔥🔥🔥

Another beauty and another release I will have to try. I think me saying I wasn’t going to get a new driver this year is already out the window before even seeing any in hand. @Jman any additional info on the other heads that hit the conforming list? Especially looking for some info on the 💎💎💎 S head. Thanks

Back