The Grandaddy will Return in 2022

A lot of great previous captains to be inspired by!

Definitely agree that the next captain will have big shoes to fill, in all honesty I believe anyone who gets picked to join the team has their work cut out for them. The 2021 team did an excellent job all around. It was a great follow and as always the Callaway guys were excellent. P.S please continue with the matte heads in your next Epic line!

Definitely agree that the next captain will have big shoes to fill, in all honesty I believe anyone who gets picked to join the team has their work cut out for them. The 2021 team did an excellent job all around. It was a great follow and as always the Callaway guys were excellent. P.S please continue with the matte heads in your next Epic line!

This experience along with all of them will be awesome and each member will have a blast! Excited to see all the experience chatter!

im on the opposite side of this. I agree the captain pick is a huge responsibility, I think the next guys has some great history to draw from and can level set a lot easier on how to go about leading this team.
I agree the 2021 team knocked it out the park given the unique circumstances they were presented with, but the future captain will be sitting pretty with all that information and plenty of former participants willing to pitch in and help with advice should it be needed.

First of all, that sprinkler head had it coming.

secondly, I got nothing. That was a pucker moment. 🤣

What was the reason for not taking a drop there in all seriousness lol

What was the reason for not taking a drop there in all seriousness lol

the ball was literally on the only little patch of grass over there, between the cartpath and hill, and behind the sprinkler. After talking with the caddy, none of the other options were any better. Basically it would have put me up the hill into the bushes, or the ball wouldn’t have stayed, or would have been on the sloping cartpath.

so the conversation was basically, your best option is to play the ball where it is and try not to hit the sprinkler.

so we did examine options.
I still feel bad for breaking it, but it made for some great content and an epic prank by @Luke WilliamsCG and everyone had a good laugh at my expense, which is something I will always remember fondly

the ball was literally on the only little patch of grass over there, between the cartpath and hill, and behind the sprinkler. After talking with the caddy, none of the other options were any better. Basically it would have put me up the hill into the bushes, or the ball wouldn’t have stayed, or would have been on the sloping cartpath.

so the conversation was basically, your best option is to play the ball where it is and try not to hit the sprinkler.

so we did examine options.
I still feel bad for breaking it, but it made for some great content and an epic prank by @Luke WilliamsCG and everyone had a good laugh at my expense, which is something I will always remember fondly

This was defintely one of the highlights for sure! Especially the prank!

My pain is your pleasure, got it ;):ROFLMAO:

💯, but I was going to help pay your bill till I realized it was a prank. You know us Kentuckians gotta stick together!

So speaking on the above topic, some advice/thoughts to future Grandaddy hopefuls/participants.

Remember the big picture.

Some specific examples I want to point out:
I am a competitive person by nature. At the ECPC we had a pushcart race. No idea what the prize was at the time, I still wanted to win. And i tried to win. I was making great time when I went around the corner, only to nearly wipe out and finish last.
As a team, we faced some challenges and changes that we had to just go with. We had to bring our own clubs to play with, not every club option was available to each of us at the range, some of us (myself included) were steamrolled during a competitive match at the Hideaway, and sometimes you do something like break a sprinkler and feel absolutely terrible about it and are presented a $300 bill for the repair while everyone has a great laugh at you.

Point is, things are going to happen out of your control, and not go the way you expect them sometimes during this experience. But always remember the big picture. As a member of The Grandaddy you are representing an amazing community, at an amazing place, with amazing people; it’s an amazing opportunity.

It turned out so much better that I lost the cart race, and some fun content with the sprinkler head catastrophe. Not for me necessarily, but for the team and experience overall. And sometimes that is what you have to sit back and realize, this experience is better when things benefit the team/community more so than just yourself. Those smiles, conversations, memories of everything that worked out better for everyone, rather than just myself, I wouldn’t trade those moments for anything.

So speaking on the above topic, some advice/thoughts to future Grandaddy hopefuls/participants.

I am a competitive person by nature. At the ECPC we had a pushcart race. No idea what the prize was at the time, I still wanted to win. And i tried to win. I was making great time when I went around the corner, only to nearly wipe out and finish last.
As a team, we faced some challenges and changes that we had to just go with. We had to bring our own clubs to play with, not every club option was available to each of us at the range, some of us (myself included) were steamrolled during a competitive match at the Hideaway, and sometimes you do something like break a sprinkler and feel absolutely terrible about it and are presented a $300 bill for the repair while everyone has a great laugh at you.

Point is, things are going to happen out of your control, and not go the way you expect them sometimes during this experience. But always remember the big picture. As a member of The Grandaddy you are representing an amazing community, at an amazing place, with amazing people; it’s an amazing opportunity.

It turned out so much better that I lost the cart race, and some fun content with the sprinkler head catastrophe. Not for me necessarily, but for the team and experience overall. And sometimes that is what you have to sit back and realize, this experience is better when things benefit the team/community more so than just yourself. Those smiles, conversations, memories of everything that worked out better for everyone, rather than just myself, I wouldn’t trade those moments for anything.

@xThor, thanks for this information man!

Also, one of the better pieces of advice I received is if you are an introvert, take some time for yourself if you can get it. It lets you recharge and have that much better. I had trouble sleeping most of the nights so I took the mornings to catch up and relax.

Okay, been a bit overwhelmed with so much tech fun, but we are getting close to where we have to start making some announcements.

We have decided that this year, we will be reaching out to some THPers that have experienced this amazing event and ask for their thoughts on the next captain.

Not everybody mind you, and if you do not get asked, its not because of a slight or anything.

I love that you guys always evolve how this process goes. It's a great way to keep it fresh.

Also, one of the better pieces of advice I received is if you are an introvert, take some time for yourself if you can get it. It lets you recharge and have that much better. I had trouble sleeping most of the nights so I took the mornings to catch up and relax.

haha and if you're an extrovert?

I can imagine how all the stimulation really wears on everyone, mentally and physically. Plus the competition itself makes you want to perform your best, which adds stress.

In the end, I can say as a follower, whatever you guys did worked. I felt like I was right there beside you all, getting fit, in the push cart race, sitting next to Sean Toulon, eating In-N-Out, competing at the Hideaway. I felt like you all had the big picture in the forefront of your thoughts.

Tevenor's 10 guidelines for future Grandaddy participants

1) Don't forget the sunscreen and lip balm. Desert air is a thing.
2) Don't be a Richard. This isn't about you. This is about the Grandaddy, the forum, and the relationship. The minute you come before that, you have lost the intent of the Grandaddy.
3) Life moves pretty fast. So does the Grandaddy. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
4) The people are what make the Grandaddy special. Not the equipment. Not the Hideaway. Not the ECPC. Not even In and Out. Its the people. Spend your time there, with them, as often as you can. Sleep is optional.
5) When you play your rounds, remember. Its just a golf course. Physics works the same. Golf works the same. Swing your swing and play your game. Don't let the course beat you before your first tee shot.
6) Your brothers ( or sisters ) are special. You will have a connection to them for as long as you are a member of the forum. Cherish it. Its a relationship few people will ever get a chance to build and fewer appreciate until its gone. You are a member of a family now. Lean on those of us who have gone before. Ask for advice, ask for help, ask for anything. You are part of the brotherhood. Congrats!
7) You will never take enough pictures. Doesn't matter how many you take. But make sure you grab the important things ( read rule #3 amd #4 above )
8) Save up for the pro shop. No really. It ain't cheap but its worth every penny.
9) Raspberry Vodka lemonade vs Blueberry Vodka lemonade: You decide. Have both. But have them. Even if you don't like vodka.
10) No seriously. Don't forget the sunscreen and lip balm. Probably the most important thing.

2) Don't be a Richard. This isn't about you. This is about the Grandaddy, the forum, and the relationship. The minute you come before that, you have lost the intent of the Grandaddy.
3) Life moves pretty fast. So does the Grandaddy. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
4) The people are what make the Grandaddy special. Not the equipment. Not the Hideaway. Not the ECPC. Not even In and Out. Its the people. Spend your time there, with them, as often as you can. Sleep is optional.
5) When you play your rounds, remember. Its just a golf course. Physics works the same. Golf works the same. Swing your swing and play your game. Don't let the course beat you before your first tee shot.
6) Your brothers ( or sisters ) are special. You will have a connection to them for as long as you are a member of the forum. Cherish it. Its a relationship few people will ever get a chance to build and fewer appreciate until its gone. You are a member of a family now. Lean on those of us who have gone before. Ask for advice, ask for help, ask for anything. You are part of the brotherhood. Congrats!
7) You will never take enough pictures. Doesn't matter how many you take. But make sure you grab the important things ( read rule #3 amd #4 above )
8) Save up for the pro shop. No really. It ain't cheap but its worth every penny.
9) Raspberry Vodka lemonade vs Blueberry Vodka lemonade: You decide. Have both. But have them. Even if you don't like vodka.
10) No seriously. Don't forget the sunscreen and lip balm. Probably the most important thing.

*writes that down*

Excellent 10 commandments!

I would hug you for this post and I’m not exactly a hugger

Well said guys couldn’t agree more!

This is perfect!

I can honestly say, that in the many years of following along.....I don't remember hearing so much about the sunscreen and lip balm thing. But it makes sense.

Back