TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

That is a great little tip. I still do it when I'm fighting the right side, really helps you come from the inside. Hope the trend continues buddy. Are your settings still the same as your ones from the fitting?

--
tapatalk

Yes the settings are the same. I fooled around with the settings awhile back just to see what results I would get. I increased the loft and turned the face to neutral and it wasn't working at all.

I can't say I have read every post or understand what all the shaft options/selections are but most seem to be opting for various stiff options.

I have a slow swing speed (sub 90) and smooth tempo so am wondering if others with low speed swings have tested these clubs. And have you loved the clubs?

My swing speed with the 4 wood is probably in the low to mid 90's. I'm using the stock blur and it has been just fine. My tempo is pretty slow and the shaft holds up just fine. It gives me a mid to high ballflight off the tee and a mid off the turf.

I'd recommend trying all shafts for the driver to get your launch and spin to optimum levels

Tap before talk.

It could work a lot better!

All I am sayin is that the R11 is such a great club, but with the stock blur 60 it doesn't live up to its potential

All I am sayin is that the R11 is such a great club, but with the stock blur 60 it doesn't live up to its potential

That's not an accurate assessment of the stock shaft. It may not live up to its potential in YOUR hands, but it may in someone elses. It's all about numbers, and if I could get a 14* launch with 2800 spin with the stock blur, why would you switch?

I understand what you're saying, but for some people, the stock shaft is the BEST option.

That's not an accurate assessment of the stock shaft. It may not live up to its potential in YOUR hands, but it may in someone elses. It's all about numbers, and if I could get a 14* launch with 2800 spin with the stock blur, why would you switch?

I understand what you're saying, but for some people, the stock shaft is the BEST option.

Of course, a shaft is a very personal thing. I just think the stock blur 60 is not a "stiff" club. For someone with a swing speed over 100 mph it will be inconsistent. For people with lesser swing speeds it may work perfect.

Of course, a shaft is a very personal thing. I just think the stock blur 60 is not a "stiff" club. For someone with a swing speed over 100 mph it will be inconsistent. For people with lesser swing speeds it may work perfect.

i have seen and read on here that it has worked for people with swings over 100, its not all about swing speed.

I struggled with this club the first time in like 2 months the other night. It only lasted about 3 holes but it sucked. I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I had a hard fade on it for the first time in 2 months. Most of the time I have had a hard draw win I try to hit it hard. Finally on my third hole using it, I decided to put it up if I messed up again. I guess the club got scared and busted one about 270 down the middle of the fairway. HAHA I ended up hitting the rest of the 9 holes okay. I think I ended up being 36% on my FIRs. Not to good. I am playing a new course on Sunday. I hope the old style shows up. I am going to go to the range tonight to make sure everything is in working order.

I swing in the mid 90's with my 4 wood and play a regular blur in it, and the club has held up as well as any other shaft I've used? Also, when I hit the stock blur in the driver (regular flex) my swing speed was measured between 99-105 and that shaft also held up just fine.

I took the Motore F3 shaft out on the course for the first time today. Shot a 39 on the front and was cooking. The driver was straight as an arrow. The mishits were much straighter. Just less spin on the ball = more control. You can continue to use the stock blur 60 but trust me, if you want to get the most out of your game, SWITCH!!!

I took the Motore F3 shaft out on the course for the first time today. Shot a 39 on the front and was cooking. The driver was straight as an arrow. The mishits were much straighter. Just less spin on the ball = more control. You can continue to use the stock blur 60 but trust me, if you want to get the most out of your game, SWITCH!!!

you really dont get it

Do you have an axe to grind against blur? Did the CEO run over your dog and burn your house down? Jeez dude, just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean its garbage. I have it in my 4W and love it. The driver shaft was the #2 choice from my fitting at the kingdom. I sincerely doubt a company is gonna drop a piece of crap shaft into a driver/fwy that they were/are banking on to be a huge success.

Let it go, please.

--
tapatalk

Currently testing Diamana 'ilima 60 regular in my R11 driver. Anyone else have any experience with this shaft and feedback?
Couple things I noticed compare to my Blur 60 regular:
Club feels more balanced and somehow lighter and easier to swing.
Definitely smoother and even on mishits, it does not sting/punish my hands as much as the Blur.
Spin seems to be much more in control. Ball flight is definitely lower overall and my dispersion is noticeably tighter. It seems to make the club much more forgiving.
Carry distance-wise Blur seems to be longer by a little - only eye balling here since it was on the range - because it launches higher and it really is a towering drive. With 'ilima much more controlled an penetrating, definitely more roll.
Most importantly, it was easier for me to find the center of the club face because I could feel the head and loading of the shaft better. This gave me more confidence and I could swing easy without trying to get the ball out there.
Only if I had a launch monitor access, I would be able to measure the ball flight stats...
Anyway, hope to test the new shaft on course soon. Will update later. In the mean time, please let me know if you have any questions.

Regarding the Blur, at the time I was fit for it, it was the best feeling/performing shaft out of all TM's offerings except for Matrix HD and Radix shafts (these were not available at the time with my demo guy) I tried all others before settling with the Blur. And I know many people that are satisfied with the shaft and it performs great for a friend of mine swinging at 108 mph, so no I do NOT think it is garbage and it all depends on one's swing characteristics and preference.

I bought this driver a couple months ago. It was between the R11 and the Razr Hawk. I hit the R11 better, so i of course bought it. I usually drive the ball 230 yards with this baby.
Pros: The white finish brings a new look, in my opinion sleeker and a confidence booster at address, Black face for better alignment, Customizable
Cons: If you sky the ball (Hit way under it, so the ball goes straight up) it leaves a not so good looking mark on the top of the head thats not so great looking

Go buy this thing

As much as Ive criticized the R11, I want a white driver. And I think it would work better with my PX 6.0 shaft in it. Hmm....

Do you have an axe to grind against blur? Did the CEO run over your dog and burn your house down? Jeez dude, just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean its garbage. I have it in my 4W and love it. The driver shaft was the #2 choice from my fitting at the kingdom. I sincerely doubt a company is gonna drop a piece of crap shaft into a driver/fwy that they were/are banking on to be a huge success.

Let it go, please.

--
tapatalk

We ripped the shaft out and you can see at the tip how flimsy it is. I do have an axe to grind. I spent $400 on a driver the came with a shaft that resembles tissue paper at the tip. For that kind of money I expect more.

This is a forum to discuss ideas and recommendations. Do you work for TM? I am not trying to insult anyone, just offer some educated guidance, the purpose of which this blog stands for.

Let freedom (and straighter, longer drives) ring!

mrmorrismd

I tried the 3 wood out about a week ago. Went for a custom fitting for a fairway wood and it came down to the r11 vs the Nike vr pro. They both performed pretty much identically however the feeling from the r11 shaft just couldnt match the feeling from the project x in the Nike. Apart from that I actually quite liked the White, it provided a really good contrast.
It's making me think of going for a driver fitting to see what improvements in distance I can get from this years offering and I think the r11 would likely be a driver I'd look at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as Ive criticized the R11, I want a white driver. And I think it would work better with my PX 6.0 shaft in it. Hmm....

I'm glad that I didn't hit the r11 well because it would be in my bag and I would be broke. Planning on hitting the s3?

We ripped the shaft out and you can see at the tip how flimsy it is. I do have an axe to grind. I spent $400 on a driver the came with a shaft that resembles tissue paper at the tip. For that kind of money I expect more.

This is a forum to discuss ideas and recommendations. Do you work for TM? I am not trying to insult anyone, just offer some educated guidance, the purpose of which this blog stands for.

mrmorrismd

Which is completely fine, we get it, you don't like the stock shaft. But you have to realize that not everyone with a 100 mph swing speed is going to hate it. You are dealing in absolutes, which is a big no no. Are there better shafts out there then the blur? Absolutely. Does that mean that EVERYONE can get more out of a different shaft? NO

Solid front 9 though. I miss shooting 39s.

mrmorrismd

Wow dude, give it up already. I've read enough of the posts of you trashing a shaft that certainly doesn't work for your swing. I hit down on the ball with my driver which can cause it to balloon a lot but instead of blaming the shaft I'm working on fixing my swing which is the real problem. I suppose there is an off chance where you got a lemon of a shaft but I find that unlikely. Instead of coming in here and jading everybody whose reading this post about this particular shaft why don't you just let it go at "it's not the right shaft for me" and move on. We'd rather read about the good things happening to you with the new shaft in the driver over instead of the negative bad stuff.

mrmorrismd

Well then the blame falls on you the buyer for buying something not fit to you, not taylormade for putting a shaft in a club to stock. There are a quite a few options to replace the blur @ no charge. I guess I expect more from a buyer than just grabbing something off the rack and assuming it will work for them.

Did you even swing the club in the store, if so you would have known that the tip was to soft for your liking right away. That could've been fixed right then and there at no cost to you. There are some really good golf shops in Miami that actually provide fittings, pm me if you want some places.

The point is still the same, just because a shaft does not work for you does not mean it's garbage. I love my xcon 5 but some folks don't like it, they just have the rational thought process required to understand that shafts are like shoes, you get the one that fits you best.

You are correct, sharing of ideas is key, however completely trashing something because it doesn't work for one person is assanine.

--
tapatalk

Let me add my experience with the Blur 60 Reg (not trying to be on 1 side or the other). I recently hit some drivers on the launch monitor at my local Roger Dunn’s. I was very disappointed to see that my swing speed was in the 85 to 88 range ( I am 59 ). Out of the drivers that I hit 2 stood out. The Adams 9064LS and the R11 were #1 and #2. Roger Dunn said that the R11 was the winner in their opinion based on the readings. At the time the Adams was $179 (with a Pricematch) and the R11 was $399. I took the Adams demo out for 18 holes and it performed well. It was very accurate but my old nemesis lower ball flight was there at times but I hit 11/14 fairways that day with decent distance for me 225-240 on good hits. I bought the Adams because I couldn’t justify the difference in price for the difference in performance based on the LM. The next week I went in and took the R11 4 wood with the stock Blur 70 to see if it would perform better that my 3 wood. My opinion is that the R11 4 wood is money. I hit the 4 wood off the tee 3 times and measured 2 by GPS (I forgot to hit mark on the 1st one but it was just as long) both drives were 225 and down the middle. That blows my mind because if I can hit a 42.5 in 4 wood 225 then why can I only hit driver 225-240. This made me go back and get the R11 driver demo to see how it would do based on the awesome results of the 4 wood. I hit it on the range but I pulled it out of the bag before the round because I could not control it even with adjustments to the head. The R11 has the Wow factor and launched the ball much higher than I am used to but the dispersion was not good and I even had one balloon which is very uncommon for me. This tells me that for my swing that the tip is too soft. It’s kind of a conundrum for me as I need a softer tip to get the launch up but it has to be firm enough for control. I would be very interested to try the R11 with the Rip Beta 60 reg and see if the launch was good and I still had control. I think that my next move is going to be to shorten the Adams down to 44.5 and see if that helps me any. I have played the Adams for 7 rounds now 79-71-77-77-77-76-77 and I have not played a stretch like that for a while so I am not complaining but I think that 44.5 might be a lot easier for me to swing. Just my 2 cents.
My goal is to break 70 before I get too old.

Let me add my experience with the Blur 60 Reg (not trying to be on 1 side or the other). I recently hit some drivers on the launch monitor at my local Roger Dunn’s. I was very disappointed to see that my swing speed was in the 85 to 88 range ( I am 59 ). Out of the drivers that I hit 2 stood out. The Adams 9064LS and the R11 were #1 and #2. Roger Dunn said that the R11 was the winner in their opinion based on the readings. At the time the Adams was $179 (with a Pricematch) and the R11 was $399. I took the Adams demo out for 18 holes and it performed well. It was very accurate but my old nemesis lower ball flight was there at times but I hit 11/14 fairways that day with decent distance for me 225-240 on good hits. I bought the Adams because I couldn’t justify the difference in price for the difference in performance based on the LM. The next week I went in and took the R11 4 wood with the stock Blur 70 to see if it would perform better that my 3 wood. My opinion is that the R11 4 wood is money. I hit the 4 wood off the tee 3 times and measured 2 by GPS (I forgot to hit mark on the 1st one but it was just as long) both drives were 225 and down the middle. That blows my mind because if I can hit a 42.5 in 4 wood 225 then why can I only hit driver 225-240. This made me go back and get the R11 driver demo to see how it would do based on the awesome results of the 4 wood. I hit it on the range but I pulled it out of the bag before the round because I could not control it even with adjustments to the head. The R11 has the Wow factor and launched the ball much higher than I am used to but the dispersion was not good and I even had one balloon which is very uncommon for me. This tells me that for my swing that the tip is too soft. It’s kind of a conundrum for me as I need a softer tip to get the launch up but it has to be firm enough for control. I would be very interested to try the R11 with the Rip Beta 60 reg and see if the launch was good and I still had control. I think that my next move is going to be to shorten the Adams down to 44.5 and see if that helps me any. I have played the Adams for 7 rounds now 79-71-77-77-77-76-77 and I have not played a stretch like that for a while so I am not complaining but I think that 44.5 might be a lot easier for me to swing. Just my 2 cents.
My goal is to break 70 before I get too old.

That is some serious consistency there buddy, great shooting

Wow dude, give it up already. I've read enough of the posts of you trashing a shaft that certainly doesn't work for your swing. I hit down on the ball with my driver which can cause it to balloon a lot but instead of blaming the shaft I'm working on fixing my swing which is the real problem. I suppose there is an off chance where you got a lemon of a shaft but I find that unlikely. Instead of coming in here and jading everybody whose reading this post about this particular shaft why don't you just let it go at "it's not the right shaft for me" and move on. We'd rather read about the good things happening to you with the new shaft in the driver over instead of the negative bad stuff.

Well said...point taken, one's man's garbage is another man's treasure! The Motore F3 70 is awesome. Even on my slices I could tell the spin rate was down and the ball went much straighter. At the end of the day it is the indian, not the arrow.

Well then the blame falls on you the buyer for buying something not fit to you, not taylormade for putting a shaft in a club to stock. There are a quite a few options to replace the blur @ no charge. I guess I expect more from a buyer than just grabbing something off the rack and assuming it will work for them.

Did you even swing the club in the store, if so you would have known that the tip was to soft for your liking right away. That could've been fixed right then and there at no cost to you. There are some really good golf shops in Miami that actually provide fittings, pm me if you want some places.

The point is still the same, just because a shaft does not work for you does not mean it's garbage. I love my xcon 5 but some folks don't like it, they just have the rational thought process required to understand that shafts are like shoes, you get the one that fits you best.

You are correct, sharing of ideas is key, however completely trashing something because it doesn't work for one person is assanine.

--
tapatalk

I hit the club in the store. Compared it with the Titleist and Superfast, determined it was the best feel for me after taking a lot of swings with a pro watching me on a monitor. Hey, sometimes we see something cool, and we buy it. I have no regrets about the purchase. It is a club that will sit in my bag for prob 5 plus years! I love TM clubs. The look, the feel. I am just a bit of a perfectionist I guess...such is the game of golf...the quest for the perfect driver, the perfect set of clubs, the perfect day on the course...to me I have learned to enjoy everyday on the course. The good ones and the bad ones just the same. We are all very lucky to have that tuning fork in us...

Back