TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Everyone excited for the US Open? Lots of TM drivers out there. Longest course in US open history I think...Can Dustin Johnson redeem himself and win a big one?

Well said...point taken, one's man's garbage is another man's treasure! The Motore F3 70 is awesome. Even on my slices I could tell the spin rate was down and the ball went much straighter. At the end of the day it is the indian, not the arrow.

Glad to hear the Motore shaft is working better for you. I have it one my 3 wood and when I'm hitting it well the ball just seems to jump off the head and stay nice and low.

I played yesterday and struggled with the R11 driver again. It works awesome when I get up there and don't think about it. Every time I over think it, I hit duck hooks to the left. I just need to get this thing worked out so I can get back on track with it. I was loving it for the 2 months it was rocking.

I played yesterday and struggled with the R11 driver again. It works awesome when I get up there and don't think about it. Every time I over think it, I hit duck hooks to the left. I just need to get this thing worked out so I can get back on track with it. I was loving it for the 2 months it was rocking.

Read the book "Zen Golf" by Dr. Joseph Parent. GREAT BOOK! I shot my first under 80 round after reading it...=)

without scouring thru this massive thread, has anyone experienced the "opposite" affect with the R11 MWT, for their swing?
ie...setup weights for draw bias, but consistently hitting a fade or setup weights for fade bias, but consistently hitting a draw?

Tale of two 9's on Sunday. I hit a few awful shots from holes 1-7 most of it was user error, but by hole 8 my driver was back on and I was hitting my normal fade. I even hit a few straight shots Sunday. I hit about 1/3 of my fairways which isn't good but tolerable compared to my normal slice. I'm going to hit the range more this week and work on my hip rotation and hand grip.

R11 T3:

I had a long range session yesterday and hit, or tried to hit, a lot of shots from the turf with this club. I still have what I would consider to be major issues hitting this off the deck. The T3 is a beast off of the tee, but my good shots are few and far between from the turf. I either get really steep and chunk it or I try to sweep it and top it. I moved the ball position around and made better contact, but I still didn't see a consistent shot. I am not really sure why I hit it great off of the tee, but not the grass. I have the ball teed pretty low too, just right about the grass, which is making me think my issue might be mental.

R11 T3:

I had a long range session yesterday and hit, or tried to hit, a lot of shots from the turf with this club. I still have what I would consider to be major issues hitting this off the deck. The T3 is a beast off of the tee, but my good shots are few and far between from the turf. I either get really steep and chunk it or I try to sweep it and top it. I moved the ball position around and made better contact, but I still didn't see a consistent shot. I am not really sure why I hit it great off of the tee, but not the grass. I have the ball teed pretty low too, just right about the grass, which is making me think my issue might be mental.

Hmm, I was the same way with my Burner Superfast 3 wood. I have had many more good shots than bad off the deck with the 4 wood. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure mine was mental issue.

Tap before talk.

Hmm, I was the same way with my Burner Superfast 3 wood. I have had many more good shots than bad off the deck with the 4 wood. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure mine was mental issue.

Tap before talk.

That's kind of interesting. I am going to keep working on it in hopes that one day it just "clicks".

That's kind of interesting. I am going to keep working on it in hopes that one day it just "clicks".

Very similar issue here with the 4W, figured it out a little after a round last week on the range. I have a nasty habit of getting a little quick at the top when hitting from a fairway. All it took was a mental cue to pause a tad at the top, much better contact.

--
tapatalk

Keep us informed with your findings.

As for my testing it's been tough to get out this week. I've had this pain that shoots from my hand to elbow sporadically while swinging so I'm resting it to see if that helps.

Tap before talk.

My iron shots are looking as beautiful and straight as ever. But my driver has actually turned into a hook machine. Funny how I've went straight from pushes right to hooks left. Never passed through the middle while changing misses.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

Keep us informed with your findings.

As for my testing it's been tough to get out this week. I've had this pain that shoots from my hand to elbow sporadically while swinging so I'm resting it to see if that helps.

Tap before talk.

Picture the ball on a tee in your mind! Has to be mental...

I think I might be taking this one out for my scramble. No real reason for it. I miss it a little.

Half Day yesterday..so in between watching the Open and the Phillies I squeezed in a quick range session. I'm working on insituting some swing mechanics that I've been working with my irons into my driver. Yesterday I worked on a pre-shot (tee box) routine and it seemed to keep me in a groove (at the range at least). I've worked my high slice into a high/mid draw that I can control for the most part, I just need to work on my mechanics. The R11 has helped with my preshot routine because the white head with the black face helps me easily align the ball better.

My iron shots are looking as beautiful and straight as ever. But my driver has actually turned into a hook machine. Funny how I've went straight from pushes right to hooks left. Never passed through the middle while changing misses.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

Check alignment, if your closing your stance it's easier to hook, and also make sure you didn't tweak any little things in your grip! ...or blame it on a constant right to left phantom breeze.

Tap before talk.

Tapatalk isn't playing nice right now, but didn't a few people get 7 woods to try? If so how are they holding up, I'm thinking of reworking my hybrids and the 7 wood might be a good fit.

--
tapatalk

Tapatalk isn't playing nice right now, but didn't a few people get 7 woods to try? If so how are they holding up, I'm thinking of reworking my hybrids and the 7 wood might be a good fit.

EDIT: Didn't see you had the 4 wood, sorry!

--
tapatalk

Pretty sure Ole' Gray has the 7 wood. If you have any questions in general about the clubs I can use my experiences with the 4 wood to help ya out.

Tap before talk.

Pretty sure Ole' Gray has the 7 wood. If you have any questions in general about the clubs I can use my experiences with the 4 wood to help ya out.

Tap before talk.

Ah, I should've remembered it was gray! I have the 4W as well and love it, just in pondering mode with a 7.

--
tapatalk

I tried the R11 driver with the Blur 60 shaft and loved the launch angle but had control problems. The TM website lists some TP shafts that they say are mid-high ballflight.
They are the Blur 55, Rip Beta 60, Matrix X-Con 5.0, and the Matrix Radix HD6. Has anyone tried these and compared them to the Blur 60 ? If so how was the launch and dispersion
compared to the Blur 60 ?

Have the xcon 5 in my R11, mid-high flight but I can flight in lower pretty easily by adjusting ball position or simply teeing it a smidge lower. Compared to the blur, the blur spun a little more than I can handle and was a touch higher flight wise. I'm guessing this is due to the tip being light. However, I have that shaft in my fairway and I love it.
--
tapatalk

i got my r11 driver and 3 wood on wednesday and have had 3 rounds a couple practice sessions with them so far. both have x stiff kai'li shafts, 60 and 70 grams respectively. i had hit both before with similar specs, but not the exact weighting/flex for each. to me, the driver is pretty close to point and shoot, especially with the asp set to open as well as the lie upright and the 10 gram in the toe. i might actually go back to standard loft. i previously played an mp600 with an x stiff blueboard 73, and really like the feel and explosiveness the ball came off with. the r11 is obviously more muted, but i found not little to no distance loss. this will also get better when i have it cut down to 44.75 and regripped because i find more fairways with a little shorter length. mishits arent bad at all, i actually have dropped 2 balls and hit a little draw with one and a cut with the other and been within 3 yards of total distance with each other. i could go into the setup, ect. but everybody has heard stuff on that.

now to the 3 wood (14 degrees), with asp set to open and shaft standard (for now ;D). this has quickly become my favorite club in the bag. i literally cant miss with it. feel is quite muted similar to the driver, but this club almost produces a weightless feeling at impact. some may agree or disagree, and its all preference. coming from a 909f2 with a 95 gram v2 shaft, hitting this 3 almost feels effortless. awesome off the and the deck, and quite workable yet easily straight. maybe not bombing long, but i definitely see a little improvement on the deck and a huge one off the tee. the accuracy that this thing provides is deadly though. by far the most confidence inspiring and accurate fairway wood i have ever played to date.

only con's are the dirt that gets built up around the asp (i take a solid divot with everything but driver), and the longer lengths standard. ya ya it might help the average golfer, but not all of us like playing with fishing rods until the opportunity to trim it to proper length.

all in all, 2 of the best packages i have received from taylormade, on top of the lack of a pricetag :)

At the range yesterday I was fiddling with my settings a bit and found that an open ASP, low loft, and draw biased heel weighting helped to give me a nice little fade that I might stick with. I've been playing with a closed ASP for the entire time l've had to club and needed to try something else.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

I've been lucky and found that neutral settings seem to be optimum for me. Mid launch which enables roll out on tee shots. I've got to go to work, but I got to play again yesterday and have will report my findings with the 4 wood.

I actually used the sole plate this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised! I have been fighting a hook with the R11, it got really bad when I played a round on Friday, I couldn't control it at all. I was playing 36 Sunday and was really worried about it, Hit the driver on the range before we hit the course and it was the same thing.

I have to say I thought the sole plate was a little gimmicky, I figured it wouldn't work because I would change the grip in my hand and void anything that it would have done. I was wrong...

I opened the face and I hit all but 2 fairways in 36 holes, I was amazed that it was working for me. I would just remember to set the club down and grip it and then make sure that I didn't adjust it during my waggle or anything. I didn't buy this driver for the adjustability, more for the spin but I have to say it really saved me from a frustrating 36 holes.

Back