Please Somebody Help Me, Beyond Frustrated and Just Plain Embarrassing

That might be the best all around cure-all drill ever developed for the golf swing so that is definitely a good one. Also, it would not surprise me entirely if Shackshaker had something for you as well because just as he says, not finishing with your left wrist can for some of us be another of those very subtle anomalies that we cannot catch right away.

Being as subtle as it is, the OW will not track that one as readily as your tempo and rhythm. However it will catch it as the club head should end up finishing a little farther inside than it should if you do not finish and you should eventually feel that weight at the end of the OW pulling you even farther inside than you want to be.

I do think standing too close is one of those anomalies that you should be able to catch because that one really throws you all over the place. Heck I can almost feel like I am going to kill myself with my own club if I swing from too close to the ball. Nothing feels stranger than trying to get out of the way of your own swing right in the middle of it.

once again there wasnt anybody on range to hold my phone to tape my swing but i did the drill with the feet standing together and just taking 1/2 and 3/4 swings and was getting the ball up in the air great, i was really hitting them nicely, hitting nice little draws that way, i hit a hole bucket like that before my round, now we get to the first tee, TOPPER lol, 2nd tee i said screw it and decided to do the drill while on course so i stood with my feet togther and took a nice east swing and it got up nicely, overcooked the draw and ended up in the left rough but i dont care, it got airborn with good contact, same thing on 3, 5, 6, and then we get to 7, i had a little confidence back so i decided to try and hit one with my normal stance but just with a shorter swing as you all mentioned, i didnt top it but it only got about a foot of the ground and ended up about 220 down the middle, was thinking ok, ill take it since this is a work in progress, there was nobody behind me the entire round so i tee'd another up on 7 and tried to focus on not clearing my hips so early and just a shorter swing and good balance, this one i topped lol, i was hitting my irons/wedges and hybrid awesome today, on to 9, i tee it up feet together take a couple practice swings, then i address the ball with my feet together and just take a nice smooth half swing and this one got up better than the one on 7 but still a worm burner in my book, it was a nice little draw that ended up about 225 out. So what do i take away from all this, i need to get on range as much as possible and do that drill that TC mentioned and gradually work my way back to full swings and normal stance. I know this doesnt sound like a good driving day but it actually was for me since the last 2-3 times i have been out i have hit nothing but top's and low snap hooks. I ended up shooting a 41 and had 3 birdie puts lip out, i actually ended up with bogey on one that lipped out since it flipped it about 20 foot down hill. Anyhow its getting better and as long as i dont get even more frustrated i think i can get it back to normal shortly.

Why isn't driving the ball just a matter of keeping a swing thought that will take you more inside out and just catching the ball on the upswing instead of the downswing. Here we have another example of a guy knocking the snot out of his irons that is irritating the pure T hell out of himself off the tee.

Why isn't driving the ball just a matter of keeping a swing thought that will take you more inside out and just catching the ball on the upswing instead of the downswing. Here we have another example of a guy knocking the snot out of his irons that is irritating the pure T hell out of himself off the tee.

huh? if it was that simple we would all be playing in the US Open next week

Take full swings but aim for the 150 marker on the range. I would bet quite a bit that you just need to slow down your tempo. My guess would be you recently started driving the ball better than you ever had before and also getting more distance, so you then started playing the what-if game that we all play. For example, say we go a few weeks driving the ball with more accuracy and with more distance than we have before, so we then start thinking "if I could just keep this accuracy and add a few more yards I'd have my driving game down and then all I'd need to do is cut a few bad putts and chips and I'd be shooting par". Once we do this bad things happen. Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say here and good luck.

Take full swings but aim for the 150 marker on the range. I would bet quite a bit that you just need to slow down your tempo. My guess would be you recently started driving the ball better than you ever had before and also getting more distance, so you then started playing the what-if game that we all play. For example, say we go a few weeks driving the ball with more accuracy and with more distance than we have before, so we then start thinking "if I could just keep this accuracy and add a few more yards I'd have my driving game down and then all I'd need to do is cut a few bad putts and chips and I'd be shooting par". Once we do this bad things happen. Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to say here and good luck.

Lol I used to do that all the time. I would especially do it if I were playing with a long hitter. I am over that now. Smooth swings off the tee box is best for me. Played with Jefrazie yesterday who can really bomb it and I just stayed in tempo and recognized that I will be hitting shorter than him. 10yard I hate that this happened to you right when you get the 910.

I understand what your saying, and yes i was hitting the Zstar awesome before all this happened, it started the last couple rounds with the zstar and then went down hill from there, was hitting it longer and straighter than i usually am.
Lol I used to do that all the time. I would especially do it if I were playing with a long hitter. I am over that now. Smooth swings off the tee box is best for me. Played with Jefrazie yesterday who can really bomb it and I just stayed in tempo and recognized that I will be hitting shorter than him. 10yard I hate that this happened to you right when you get the 910.

Me to buddy, i told my dad what was going on and he was like sell it lol, told him it wasnt the driver

huh? if it was that simple we would all be playing in the US Open next week

I realize that but I can't help but wonder if we just kept those two swing thoughts which should help us stay back a tad longer so that we have a better chance at catching the ball on the upswing would actually make a difference in these sessions where we whack the heck out of irons but struggle like heck with driver.

It is sometimes hard to remember that you have to be a bit more deliberate in your rhythm with the driver and comparatively speaking a tad less deliberate with the irons. Of course this mostly happens to me when the course is packed and in an effort to be a good sport I won't even take a practice swing in a effort to get things right for the club that I have in my hand at that time.

I haven't lost much if any distance but I have gained accuracy and I hit a straight ball most of the time when my tempo is good.

LOL - I have to laugh when I read this because I was really bad with my driver today in the club championship. Seriously though, tension and tempo had everything to do with it in all probability. I get way too worked up in competition and it is ugly.

LOL - I have to laugh when I read this because I was really bad with my driver today in the club championship.

hey we can start our own little driver yips club KB lol, seriously that stinks though, i know how frustrating it is

hey we can start our own little driver yips club KB lol, seriously that stinks though, i know how frustrating it is

I really did feel your pain this weekend. It ruins your entire game. Drive for show putt for dough is true to some extent, but that driver really is of major importance.

I really did feel your pain this weekend. It ruins your entire game. Drive for show putt for dough is true to some extent, but that driver really is of major importance.

agree 100%, if your driving it OB, in the tree's, only 100 yard toppers ect. the rest of your game is gonna suffer very bad, longer clubs into greens, punch outs, penalty strokes, these all add up to BIG NUMBERS and FRUSTRATION. Still better than a day of work though lol

I was gonna say "it must be your driver", but you're gaming an R11...hmm. Oh well, need video to say anything!

I was gonna say "it must be your driver", but you're gaming an R11...hmm. Oh well, need video to say anything!

huh? skim much lol

I went thru a similar thing yesterday. I couldn't swing a club right to save my life. The first 5 holes were bad, especially the 3rd and 4th which were a complete disaster. I got to the 6th tee and there was a slow couple up ahead of me and while normally that would bug me but I used the waiting time to clear my head which was a good thing because so much stuff was going thru my head since the round started. Basically, I knew what I needed to do to swing properly but just wasn't doing it. I just got up to the tee, cleared my head and swung away. 3 pars and a birdie for the rest of the front 9. The back 9 had its ups and downs but not nearly as bad as the 1st 5 holes. Probably easier than said for most people but I just needed to shake it off and keep my head clear.

Have you tried keeping your feet on the ground for as long as possible? Its a pretty good drill for hip issues in the golf swing.

Have you tried keeping your feet on the ground for as long as possible? Its a pretty good drill for hip issues in the golf swing.

i never really thought about that thainer, today i basically just worked on keeping my feet together and a smooth short swing. I take it your talking about the back foot correct? Since it rotates im guessing thats what you mean

Yep. Youre getting steep and shifting your weight forward so much that your hitting down on the top of the golf ball. If your back foot stays planted for as long as possible, and it slows your weight shift even a little bit, I cant imagine that it wont help. It should help your arc flatten out too so you arent so steep. Where is your current comfortable driver ball position?
i never really thought about that thainer, today i basically just worked on keeping my feet together and a smooth short swing. I take it your talking about the back foot correct? Since it rotates im guessing thats what you mean

Yep. Youre getting steep and shifting your weight forward so much that your hitting down on the top of the golf ball. If your back foot stays planted for as long as possible, and it slows your weight shift even a little bit, I cant imagine that it wont help. It should help your arc flatten out too so you arent so steep. Where is your current comfortable driver ball position?

makes sense thainer, it really does. Comfortable ball position is slightly forward of center but ive been trying to play it more forward around my armpit. I moved it up after all this first started when i was hitting the low snap hooks then it went to topping.

Play it at your front big toe, and work on that. I would expect a huge difference, and fast.

Last edited:
Play it at your front big tow, and work on that. I would expect a huge difference, and fast.

alrighty will do, ill give those 2 things a try, keep my back foot planted as long as possible and ball off the big toe. Im hitting the range tomorrow after work so ill let ya know how it goes, i really appreciate all the advice everybody.

Thainer wouldn't he likely be popping the ball up if he was getting that far forward early in his downswing or are you thinking that he is so far forward and so steep that both his weight and his club head are beyond the ball at impact and he is topping it that way? So the bottom of his swing would be well past the ball right....so far past that he is not even getting the dreaded pop up.

You might be on to something there T? He is hitting his irons real solid and you want the club head bottoming past the ball with those. I think most of not all of us are thinkin' he has gotten a little quick and has his weight going forward a bit early for driver. I used to get attacked by that one on occasion but the result was the dreaded pop up in my case.

10YardDraw here are my thoughts.

1.jpg

Over the top and possibly reverse pivot here. As commented before from a lot of people, definitely shorten your back swing and keep your arms in front of your body. This will cause your arms to get out of sync with your body and cause a steep swing. My first move is to (try to) get my right elbow touching slightly in front of my right ribcage as I start the transition - this will keep your arms and body in sync.

2.jpg

You a flipping your wrists in an effort to square the club face. Your arms are too far back compared to your shoulders and hip - they are stuck behind. You can see the right elbow separation from your body(ribcage). Essentially at impact, you are slowing/stopping your body turn, standing up and flipping your wrists to try to square the face. TC's drill will work wonders and try to think "start the turn slowly and accelerate through impact."

3.jpg

Your finish position seems to show you have a steep in to out swing and that you are trying to help the ball up. Try flattening the swing a little - this will come from shortening your back swing first.

Again, I am no PGA pro, but I have had the same issues as above with similar results your are experiencing. I think it always helps to know what you want to correct before trying different drills. And anyone with better insight feel free to add or correct my post. Hope it helps.

Back