Strangest Teebox You've Ever Seen

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
So I played a couple muni style courses with my wife and her father this weekend, and while I get a bit frustrated guessing on some of the holes, I am always intrigued at the different layouts presented.

That said, enter hole 6, a dogleg left on the scorecard, and I roll up on the back tees (it was only playing 70.4/120) and this is what I see.

scaled.php

The hole doglegs left at the bunker visible in the picture.

For the record, I thought about drawing the ball around the corner, but the right tree blocked it. I then opted to hit it directly over the trees on the left with my 3 wood, and the ball still ended up through the fairway almost in trees.

What are the weirdest teeboxes you've ever encountered?

That's probably what I would have done too, as my shot probably would have ended up just to the right of the trees, hopefully in the fairway! And if I double crossed it, as long as it wasn't TOO bad, it looks fairly open to the left of the tall evergreen.

I would freak out. I hate being forced to play a cut, it turns into a slice most of the time.

For me, it would be at 7 on my home course. Par 5 dogleg left up a hill. I will get some pics to show you guys, but the way it is positioned, I am forced to hit 3 straight 7 irons to have a shot at bogey.

Sometimes folks who set up the tee boxes align them with hazards. You have to be careful when you set up your shot.

Sometimes folks who set up the tee boxes align them with hazards. You have to be careful when you set up your shot.

I hate that. There are at least two sets of tee blocks at my home course that actually set up to hit directly at houses. Seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

I understand that this hole has been redesigned but years ago a par 3 at the Farmington Country Club in Farmington NH had a tee box of astro turf on a wooden platform at the top of a small mound.

I guess it was the easiest way to get a flat spot among the trees on the mound. I believe you could hit directly off the "turf" or use a rubber tee like at a driving range mat.

Would have drew it around the big tree on the right with ease :D

The tips at Waterlefe have some CRAZY tee boxes

Bear in mind, I had never played this course before. I had no idea what distances would clear the left tree line beyond what I could see, or how far the back tree line was. ...or how much of a dogleg it really was.

Frankly, at least on a radius of where my ball was, a nasty hook around the trees on the left would have been perfect. Just a silly setup IMO.

That is exactly what I would have done probably. I can hook it around anything lol

Bear in mind, I had never played this course before. I had no idea what distances would clear the left tree line beyond what I could see, or how far the back tree line was. ...or how much of a dogleg it really was.

Frankly, at least on a radius of where my ball was, a nasty hook around the trees on the left would have been perfect. Just a silly setup IMO.

Yeah, that looks a bit silly of a set up to me as well. I can see setting you up for a risk reward, but that almost looks like risk/risk, or fail/fail. A nice draw takes you right into trees, while a fade takes you away from the green and straight looks like tree for sure. How about a 6i off a high tee to clear the first tree with a draw, lol.

Back