Brand Story: The History of XXIO

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
By now, those on THP and the THP Forum have heard of the brand XXIO (pronounced ZEKS-E-OH). Over the years, each of their releases have been featured in reviews and their growing use is undeniable by golfers that frequent our online community. But where did they come from? What makes them different? And who is XXIO?

Untitled-design-15.png

To understand the brand, we have to go back a century and across the globe to the Japanese market. The British company Dunlop, built Japan’s first modern rubber factory in the early 1900s. A few decades later, the company started production on golf and tennis balls. A few decades after that, The Sumitomo Group bought into Dunlop and quickly took over the management of...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice story. Never knew what XXIO stood for, but it makes sense. Didn't you just play with their balls @JB in the shaft up? How did they do for you?

• Admin
Nice story. Never knew what XXIO stood for, but it makes sense. Didn't you just play with their balls @JB in the shaft up? How did they do for you?
Danny and I both did. Their new Rebound line of golf balls. I will have an update in that thread, but they stand out for sure and perform rather well.

These are always great to read to learn about a brands beginnings and what they stand for. I’ve been familiar with XXIO but have never hit a ball with one of their clubs. Actually just played with @danimal this week and he plays one of their drivers and just pounded the ball. I think after reading this I seeing the true pronunciation I will never pronounce this again!

Great write up @jb

I love the XXIO X woods line. I am still in thoughts on the irons. I am target demo for the X line as far as swing speed. They are expensive but I don’t add an aftermarket shaft and I don’t sway to other purchases in the driver market, so I’m actually saving money……..right?

Great write up @JB. I wasn't aware they were from Dunlop. That's interesting. I do love their mission of helping moderate swing players as that is me.

Danny and I both did. Their new Rebound line of golf balls. I will have an update in that thread, but they stand out for sure and perform rather well.
Is that what you gave @BuffaloPlunger when he ran out, what does he think of them?

Is that what you gave @BuffaloPlunger when he ran out, what does he think of them?
I was not playing them. I’ll be honest, I didn’t realize they were either but after finding that out I wouldn’t hesitate to give them a try. The spin they were getting on their chips was pretty crazy and Danny was getting some really good distance

Nice piece. I have followed XXIO for a while. I am their target market. Slower swing and not shocked by price point. 16 months ago I was in the market for clubs. I was definitely buying new irons and I was interested in their Hybrid. A good bud got one and it improved his long game much. While I was in a golf store in CT I tested a hybrid and a couple irons. They were nice and performed well. But neither iron or hybrid were the best of those tested.

Excellent write up @JB . I remember first seeing their clubs pop up in 2016 and not really knowing much about them. I thought it was interesting when Chuck said they don’t worry what other companies are doing. I think that’s indicative of a good product because their sticking with what works rather than getting caught up in all the crazy tech and marketing that exists in the golf world

I actually saw the XXIO X Driver in Golf Galaxy yesterday. That made me feel good as that was a first here in St. Louis.

I knew of XXIO from living in Okinawa, they were widely played at local courses there. Ernie Els playing them but still, I did not know of how the name came to be, great read. thank you

Nice article and I like the history you presented. I like the looks of the clubs but their price makes me shy away... but as you mentioned in the article, prices of competitors are creeping up into XXIO territory so they're becoming similar.

The Brand Story pieces are always very interesting and informative reads and this one is certainly no different. If not for THP throughout the years, there is probably a good chance that I wouldn't even know that XXIO even existed as a golf brand. Never have physically seen any of their products.

Anyone else think about this when the article said, “spared no expense?!”
B8F388BB-771B-440A-8E40-88131CABBCDE.gif

This was a really interesting article @JB ! Do you happen to know what XXIO means or stands for? Is it an acronym for something? I really like the newest generation of irons and woods. I think the fact that @JDax chose XXIO irons over other mainstream OEMs offerings says a lot!
I was a big fan of Dunlop golf balls when I was younger! Played the DDH and the double titanium almost exclusively.

Really nice article. I never really knew much about XXIO other than they were expensive, but very cool to read about the whole history and the origin of the name. I didn't even know how to pronounce XXIO until maybe 6-8 months ago :LOL:.

They seem like one of the few/only brands who took a very different approach to segmenting the market by focusing on swing speeds which is interesting. With prices of clubs starting to converge, seems like they're working their way into the conversation more as people look at clubs. I definitely have seen XXIO start to show up more on the course.

Really nice article. I never really knew much about XXIO other than they were expensive, but very cool to read about the whole history and the origin of the name. I didn't even know how to pronounce XXIO until maybe 6-8 months ago :LOL:.

They seem like one of the few/only brands who took a very different approach to segmenting the market by focusing on swing speeds which is interesting. With prices of clubs starting to converge, seems like they're working their way into the conversation more as people look at clubs. I definitely have seen XXIO start to show up more on the course.
Thank you. Fun to research and agree the growth is easy to see.

As a newer person in the golf world, this write up was packed full of info! I had no idea XXIO was under the se umbrella as Cleveland. And when you talk about history, with this brand thwir is plenty! I've never hit their clubs but eill keep an eye out for the opportunity to do so

Saw a lot of XXIO clubs today and someone had himself a back nine with these irons.

Saw a lot of XXIO clubs today and someone had himself a back nine with these irons.
That I did, with XXIO X Forged irons in the bag today.

Very interesting. didn't realize any of the connections with their history. I'd seen some of their clubs when I was in Japan years ago and had no clue what they were. Very cool to learn more.

Their Prime drivers are really sharp looking in person. I was impressed.

Really dig these brand stories. Thank you for doing these!!

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
I really like these brand stories @JB very well done! They seem to be on a mission and sticking to that plan for moderate swing speed golfers. Will be interesting to see what the future brings them.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
I really like these brand stories @JB very well done!

Thank you. As someone that loves learning about the game and the equipment it has been a lot of fun bringing more info to everybody.

Do XXIO clubs make you… sexier?

I’ll show myself out now.

Back