Towels in the cart for each player. when there is a set of towels in the cart, I know I am at a class facility.

My second would be a starter who is not just sitting at the first tee and is actually starting from the range or putting green, or somewhere in that area. It shows that the course cares about making sure people go off at the correct time, and just shows overall course management and control.

The attitude of staff is a make or break to me. Also, there are very few things in life as awesome as little 4-ball pyramids around a practice green.

Towels in the cart for each player. when there is a set of towels in the cart, I know I am at a class facility.
This is another one that is so easy to do, it should almost be mandatory as it keeps everything else clean.

It’s the little things that separate a great facility from an outstanding one imo.

Being welcomed at the course is the minimum for a good experience. Being prepared at each touch point is really nice too. One thing I really like is when playing twice in one day the resort doesn't cram the 2 times together. One place we went on a golf trip I asked for 2 tee times for 12 and they came back with 8:30 start on the first one and 12:30 for the second one. I was like first off this is a packed resort so that timing is ridiculously optimistic, second your just cramming us in. We would love to have time to grab lunch and chill for a bit between rounds. As someone said above, I am not cattle to be fleeced for my green fee. I came to pay you for a nice golf experience.

Like others have said the water and towel availability or offered. Friendly and helpful staff, like beyond just the smile and greeting...making sure you know where everything is, checking if you need anything, things like that is a great touch.

The logoed smaller items is always neat and shows attention to detail that makes you feel you are at a special place.

Things like the charging cables and speakers is super nice. Looking out for comfory items like that is above and beyond and really nice.

Well stocked snacks and beverages is something easily overlooked, i think. Lots of places have a couple items, but keeping a good stock and then having convenient places, like comfort stations, that have things like that is a nice extra touch that shows they care imho.

Things I have seen that aren't amazing but nice.

Tees and ball markers branded or not available (multiple sized tees at that)

Water on the course...its hot!

Cooling towels/towels available

Demeanor of the staff

This is a small 1 but have only seen it twice, velcro on the roof support of the cart to hang your glove on and let it air out between shots/holes. It was amazing.

think ahead
Those are always the things that stand out to me. Things I wouldn't have thought of. Things I didn't know I wanted or needed. Most little stuff to me is kind of like a ton of bunkers on a course. I'm not actually going to use them. They're there for the visuals. Look good on the gram. If I'm surprised by its convenience, and want to use it, I enjoy that it was there because of some forethought. It's memorable then. Even more so if it's really unique to a specific place.

This is a small 1 but have only seen it twice, velcro on the roof support of the cart to hang your glove on and let it air out between shots/holes. It was amazing.
Great idea.

Or carts that have extra compartments at the top to put stuff…which I immediately left my glove in and forgot about lol

From all of the pics posted Dormie does it over the top with everything they do!

I have to agree with the others water in the cooler, towels in the carts and when they come by and bring you a chilled mango scented towel to cool down that is the best! Staff attitude is key also when playing a nice place.

The one thing, that is maybe not super important, but that I think says lots about a course:

Course name on the scorecard pencil.

Just a little touch, but it shows you are paying attention to some of the little things.

Ample water on the course to stay hydrated, restroom facilities available mid each 9, and friendly staff that makes you feel appreciated for bringing your business there. The custom ice cream sundaes they made you guys is a great example.

The differentiators for me to go from good to great facility:

- Valet service
- clean clubs before and after round
- water bottles and towels in cart
- complimentary tees/markers/divot tools
- grass range with ball pyramids
- short game/bunker practice area
- shoe service and locker amenities (shower items/towels/etc)
- Friendly Staff

When @MWard and I played Seminole(Tallahassee, not Jupiter) a couple weeks ago, I saw a lot of new little touches. They have a staging area before the first tee with the starter. Tees, ball markers, divot tools, water, ice, sand etc. The starter replaced all the sand bottles for us. When we were putting on the 9th green, I looked over and the starter had come over and replaced the sand bottles with new ones, was topping off the cooler with ice and had placed ice cold mango scented towels on each seat. While we were putting on 18, kids came over and cleaned our clubs and had hauled ass before we got back to the carts.

Water bottles and coolers with ice is nice to start as well as every few holes or ice water in the big barrels that is always full, tees and ball markers at the range and in the cart, towels in the cart for each in the cupholder.

My second would be a starter who is not just sitting at the first tee and is actually starting from the range or putting green, or somewhere in that area. It shows that the course cares about making sure people go off at the correct time, and just shows overall course management and control.
The territory had ice cold towels to start and at the turn. They had a nice lavender scent to them as well. It was the best on a 104 degree day.

Good customer service from the pro shop to the folks working on the course makes me take notice. I tend to overlook other minor deficiencies if I feel valued as a customer. I will personally take that over small novelties.

Air conditioned carts! If only 🤯 more courses would invest in these. Especially in hot, humid environments ... FL, AZ, etc. ... they might get more play? :unsure: Especially if word got around to the "out of towners"

1658939148011.png

Custom bag tags are nice. The one from Coeur D'Alene won't be coming off any time soon.

Rangers instead of Grumpy Ball Hawks.
Towels in the cart.
Hotdogs.
Tee times managed so I’m not diving into a back-up.
Head Pro that doesn’t pretend he’s a Tour star.
Starter that actually smiles.

Managing a golf course isn’t hard, but f-ing one up is easy as pie.

The one other thing I like is a margarita machine on the beer cart. :cool:

Back