Best Cover Song of All Time?

Chris Stapleton Midnight Train to Memphis, Technically he helped write it in 2008 when he was in The Steel Drivers.

Honorable Mention:

I heard that Whitney Houston did a nice cover of a Dolly Parton song once for some bodyguard movie…

Heart did a really good version of Battle of Evermore, too:

Just to throw some other stuff out there:

Come Together by Aerosmith
I Told You So by Carrie Underwood
Love Hurts by Nazereth

Interesting thread. Way back in the day Styx released an album of covers. It just flat rocked! I dont' know if I have a single from it, or the whole thing depending on upong what i copied. Whatever, check it out at your leisure.

Hope you enjoy.

I know my last one was kind of a joke, but you gotta admit, the guy who did that had talent. He's a studio musician in LA. Anyway, on a more serious note.... this is one of my favorite covers. My neighbors threw a brick thru my window at 3 AM so they could hear me trying to get amp tone exact. Apparently they have the same taste in music I do.

Also.... this one.... I like the original better, but this kicks ass.

Another great one. Chris Cornell - Thank You

Hallelujah — Rufus Wainwright

I love Hootie and the Blowfish's version of Goodbye Girl -

Kind of following along. A VERY subjective subject for sure. Personally, Dolly will always outdo Whitney on "I will always love you". I don't like the vocal 'twiddly bits' on any song. I agree with the Sinead choice on "Nothing compares 2 U". And there are any number of other covers that a lot of people don't even know are covers. When Bananarama covered "Venus", someone actually said "gee, I didn't know they could write as well..." :rolleyes:

One other artist who covers others very well is, surprisingly, Miley Cyrus. Whole collection on YouTube of some of her best. "Zombie", "Heart of Glass" and "Jolene" (probably the best out of them). Pretty powerful set of lungs on that girl, don't ya know...

My current favorite I came across is "I feel Love" done by Blue Man Group featuring Venus Hum (Annette Strean). Hard to make one of the last "Disco" era songs by Donna Summer into a pretty cool 6 minutes... really starts at around 2 minutes in or so. There are a couple of versions around- mostly shorter TV appearances. This is the best, in my opinion.

That version of Jolene by Miley Cyrus is killer. No matter what she has done she can sing.

I may have put this in the thread already but I love this version of Suspicious Minds by Fine Young Cannibals:

That All Right Mama by Elvis.
Face it, 95% of the songs already mentioned wouldn't have been dreamt of without that cover. Pretty much the one that started everything.
"Before Elvis there was nothing."
John Lennon

Beatles “Twist and Shout”

Santana “Black Magic Woman”

This is one of the best if not the best:

Baba O'Reilly - Pearl Jam
Gimme Shelter - Pain and Gimme Shelter London Symphony

Lose yourself here:

Back