The 2022 Goat Cup w/ Callaway Golf: Odds

As the THP Calendar moves on, we arrive to an Experience that is a Team competition that involves some of the best personalities in the THP Universe with one of the best supporters of our community in Callaway Golf. Let's take a moment and preview what we are going to see starting on Sunday at Ballyhack Golf Club in Roanoke, VA. It's finally time for The Goat Cup!!!

View attachment 9111916

When & Where
August 14th-16th, 2022
Ballyhack Golf Club
Roanoke, VA

THP returns to one of the most pristine locations that it has visited, Ballyhack Golf Club. This location will provide a stern but fair test of golf. The back 9 is very different than the front, it will be the team that drives the ball best and keeps it in playable spots that will win The Goat Cup.

See here for a closer look at that the participants will be dealing with:

The Format:
Monday AM- 18 Holes: Shamble Format (Best Ball)
Monday PM - 18 Holes: Alternate Shot
Tuesday- Singles

I like this format, because I believe that this course lends itself to longer holed matches (especially that 2nd Nine). Because this format has 3 18 hole matches, there is 8 points available in total, 4' points wins the Goat Cup. What I'm super excited about is that Alternate Shot is not only included in the format, but it is contested over 18 holes, that is going to make for a fun time for those of us watching from home. There are some key matches in each stanza, and a popapolusa pairing going out to try and steal a point, what more could you ask for?

The Handicaps of the Teams:

Team Tudor- (Combined Handicap: 10.3)
Austin Tudor (1.7)
@Canadan (3.7)
@ccjimmy2001 (16.5)
@BuckNasty (19.4)

Team Finley- (Combined Handicap: 11.2)
Jason Finley (6.7)
@JB (9.3)
@pumbaa (26)
@smgoldstein (2.7)

On paper Team Tudor holds a slight edge on combined handicap front (10.3 to 11.2), it's close and if games travel well the conditions exist to give us a super tight competition that goes deep into Tuesday. Team Finley is lead by the destroyer of dreams, in @JasonFinleyCG, and sports 3 single digit players at their disposal. Team Tudor has not only Austin, but has LDax's favorite podcast host in Canadan, with a guy who has never lost a match at a THP event in BuckNasty. The participants will also be playing their own clubs, this will add some comfort & familiarity to the participants. All of these factors make for a very unpredictable event. There have been some attempts in some posts by members of Team Finley to lower expectations coming in, with both smgoldstein and pumbaa downplaying their progress coming in. JB played sparking in a losing effort at The Rivalry, can he continue that level of play? All of these questions will be answered by Tuesday afternoon.

Opening Odds:

Note: This is for entrainment proposes only, and to get some chatter built up about the Goat Cup. Not to hurt anyone's feelings.

I don't normally have the pairings for a whole experience when I do the odds, but this time I have the full docket. This makes it a little easier on me to set the line. If you look at the match odds, on chalk this line should be 6/5 or even money. But that would be boring. In the past, when Finley has made an appearance before The Grandaddy he hasn't played as well as his normal self. Finley tends to peak in December, but this is August, and while he is coming off of vacation (tan, rested, & ready) is his game ready? Looking at the docket, JB finds himself in 2 pivotal matches on Day 1. Can smgoldstein carry JB in Shamble like E1iterate did at The Rivalry? When looking at Team Tudor, you know what you are getting, two great ball strikers in Dan and Austin, a guy who has worked hard on his game in the lead up (ccjimmy2001) & a grinder's grinder with BuckNasty. The THP Universe has favored Team Tudor in the early action & so do I...

Team Odds of Winning the 2022 Goat Cup:
Team Tudor -150
Team Finley +125

Day 1 Pairings & Odds: Shamble (2- Way)
Jason Finley & @pumbaa +155
@Canadan & @ccjimmy2001 -180

Very important start, as this is the only time Dan and Finley draw each other in the experience. We will know right out of the gate, which Finley we are going to get, December Darth Finley or a version more beatable. Is Dan's driver still giving him fits? If not, watch out.

@JB & @smgoldstein -180
Austin Tudor & @BuckNasty +155

BuckNasty's defense of his THP match streak starts here in a spot that he's going to need to make his pops count. JB has played the course, paired with smgoldstein should be a formattable pairing to combat Austin from imposing his will. Very pivotal match in the opening stanza.

Day 1 Pairings & Odds: Alt Shot (2- Way)
Jason Finley & @JB -200
@BuckNasty & @ccjimmy2001 +165

Although as a Captain, I haven't had a lot of success throwing a pop'em & drop'em pairing out there, I still love when they happen. Team Finley absolutely expects a full point out of this match, anything less would be disappointing. If BuckNasty's streak survives the AM, this will be the ultimate test to keep it alive.

@smgoldstein & @pumbaa +235
@Canadan & Austin Tudor -280

Team Tudor sends out their 2 best, in a match where anything less than a full point would be considered failure. Team Finley counters with a Low/High (Highest in pumbaa) and hopes for the best. The 18 hole format doesn't do Team Finley any favors here.

Day 2 Pairings & Odds: Singles (2- Way)
Jason Finley -300
@BuckNasty +250

I know this spot that BuckNasty finds himself in, and I wish I could give him some advice on how to handle it, but I've got nothing. If this was Eliterate, I'd have something, but it's him & I've got nothing. Good Luck, Don't Die, & Try to Win. Prediction? Pain.
View attachment 9112001

JB -220
@ccjimmy2001 +180

Does fatigue set in on JB here, we know that Jimmy has put the work in, but can he make it pay off here?

@smgoldstein +135
Austin Tudor -150

On paper, should be match of the day. I'm expecting a slug fest.

@pumbaa +185
@Canadan -230

Dan is going to have to fade an avalanche of pops here, and sometimes that is very hard to do when it's at least 1 a hole. pumbaa will need to stay in holes and keep the ball in front of him to make the pops count.
This is so amazing. I was already psyched to be on your team, but this just took it to another level. #TeamTudor

My eyes are bleeding from the amount of bold font that was used in that write up. But the blood is worth it because it was an absolutely incredible write up and super fun read! Best of luck to both teams, I will definitely be following this one!

Spot on as always! I feel this will be a slug fest.

I think there are always so fun @JDax . Thank you for making them as always.

I really want to see this one play out and I hope Sunday gives me that opportunity for at least a bit of time.

Great job @JDax - again! These write ups are great.

Enjoyed this, thanks for doing all of these.

Love the odds....let's go #TeamTudor

36 holes with the last 18 alt shot should be interesting 🤨 😳

Thanks @JDax. I enjoyed the write up and thoughts about each match.

I still have to go with Finley.

This is incredible @JDax , great work as ever. This will be such a fun follow!

That Goldstein/Tudor match just screams going to the 18th hole AS.

I’m gonna enjoy following this one over the next couple days

These previews are always fantastic. 👍 @JDax.

Bumping this back up to the top so the morning folks can appreciate @JDax work

@JDax did you suffer the worse Finley loss, or did @McLovin take that top spot away from you? My goal is to not take the worst Finley beating in THP history haha

I’ve got this printed out to tape to the ceiling in my room Monday night and stare at it For motivation before sleep.

81994532-D79B-4505-B537-45C4A033C31D.jpeg

Appreciate the write-up. Loved the breakdown. Cheers @JDax

This course is going to be punishing for wayward shots, which is why I'm only taking one dog in the match-ups. That pick is the first match where I think the combo of Finley and @pumbaa get it done with some pops. After that I think the pairings of single digits will be too much to overcome. For that same reason, give me the lower caps in singles. The only one that I was close to flipping on was @smgoldstein vs Tudor. I could see @smgoldstein taking that one and increasing the margin of victory for Team Finley.

You may also notice I have Finley going undefeated. I think he goes all out at Ballyhack, setting himself up for an upset come December.

Overall Winner
Team Tudor -150
Team Finley +125

@JB & @smgoldstein -180

Jason Finley & @JB -200

Jason Finley -300
@BuckNasty +250

JB -220
@ccjimmy2001 +180

@smgoldstein +135
Austin Tudor -150

@pumbaa +185
@Canadan -230

@JDax did you suffer the worse Finley loss, or did @McLovin take that top spot away from you? My goal is to not take the worst Finley beating in THP history haha
Yeah that record is unfortunately mine.

This course is going to be punishing for wayward shots, which is why I'm only taking one dog in the match-ups. That pick is the first match where I think the combo of Finley and @pumbaa get it done with some pops. After that I think the pairings of single digits will be too much to overcome. For that same reason, give me the lower caps in singles. The only one that I was close to flipping on was @smgoldstein vs Tudor. I could see @smgoldstein taking that one and increasing the margin of victory for Team Finley.

You may also notice I have Finley going undefeated. I think he goes all out at Ballyhack, setting himself up for an upset come December.

Overall Winner
Team Tudor -150
Team Finley +125

@JB & @smgoldstein -180

Jason Finley & @JB -200

Jason Finley -300
@BuckNasty +250

JB -220
@ccjimmy2001 +180

@smgoldstein +135
Austin Tudor -150

@pumbaa +185
@Canadan -230

Overall Winner
Team Tudor -150
Team Finley +125

@JB & @smgoldstein -180

Jason Finley & @JB -200

Jason Finley -300
@BuckNasty +250

JB -220
@ccjimmy2001 +180

@smgoldstein +135
Austin Tudor -150

@pumbaa +185
@Canadan -230
Printing this out too

Overall Winner
Team Tudor -150
Team Finley +125

@JB & @smgoldstein -180

Jason Finley & @JB -200

Jason Finley -300
@BuckNasty +250

JB -220
@ccjimmy2001 +180

@smgoldstein +135
Austin Tudor -150

@pumbaa +185
@Canadan -230
Finley is great, but don't sleep on Dan in that 1st match.
In another cup, BuckNasty went 4-0, he's battle tested.

Don't I know it. I'm playing a long game here for things down the road 😂

2-0 in 2021 Shaft Up #3 too

Current Action Totals:
Total Votes - 136
Team Tudor - 74 = 54.4%
Team Finley - 62 = 45.6%

If this trend holds, I’m picking Team Finley for line value alone.

Back