CONTEST The 2021 Grandaddy Reunion Trip To Myrtle Beach: You Pick The Winner and Live Update Thread

@Nappy - One of the best delayed flight partners out there lol. It was fun getting to play two rounds with you and hear you talk a little smack. Backwards hat @Nappy means business! It was great to get to talk a good deal with you about golf, life and everything in between, and then stare at the back of your head for an hour and a half delay and two and a half hour flight 😂 And thank you for the Hideaway golf ball! Looking forward to hopefully meeting up in the future.

Backwards hat Nappy should've busted into that cockpit on the plane and gotten us out of there early. :ROFLMAO: Loved every second of it dude! Hit some bombs in Cali! Can't wait to follow along!

Congrats everyone! Hope it was a blast!

This trip was incredible.

Seeing the team again (even though we were still very much missing Clayton)...I can't really put in to words how amazing it was.

But I can give thanks to each member of the team and new brothers and sister from the trip.

@MattyD-MPLS - thank you for all your planning and all your work putting everything together. Our GD team doesn't do what it does without you. It doesn't go on this trip without you. And we sure as hell don't have as much fun without you. Thank you for being you and continuing to bring us all together in a meaningful way.

@Afizzle2100 - didn't get to play with you. That's upsetting because I wanted to see you golf your ball like you did on day 0! Thank you for setting the condo up for us that night! As others have said, your commentary during the first night of CAH made it so much better! We WILL play next time and we will hang out more because you're my guy and I'll be cheering for you during The Budget Championship!

@Vader - You're a dick. But you're our dick 😁;) Thank you for shuttling everyone (and everything) to and from condos, courses or restaurants. Playing two rounds with you was a blast. And even though we didn't technically finish that last match on Sunday, it was pretty apparent you were the better player. You're the only one to beat me in Match play this year! We need another match to settle it during the next one!

@cm24 - Seeing you on Sunday was AMAZING! So glad you got to join us for a little and while I didn't get to hardly talk with you since you were in a different group, I needed that hug man! Next time we do this, you better make the whole trip and we are going to play together. That one time at the Hideaway wasn't enough! We'll be talking plenty during the hockey season!

@Golfers Anonymous - How did I not know you were so ******* funny :LOL: probably because we STILL haven't had a chance to play a round together 😞. I have a list for next time and you're freaking on it. Glad we got to share some meals and the night zero condo together! I'm also really glad you made it home because it was hit or miss for quite awhile! Don't worry, I'll be cheering for you in The Budget Championship too! Hope to see you sooner than later man!

@RealPretendPsychic - we picked up right where we left off after that last breakfast in California last year. Condo buddy, almost getting struck by lightning at Caledonia buddy, and escape room buddy. So thankful for our time together at meals, on the course and in the condo. Can't wait to see you again man! Hope your back and knee heal up! We just need to get you a better way to follow directions on the next trip :p Love ya man!

@blazinden - I think I was only legitimately mad one time during the whole trip. And it was because of you and that miracle shot you hit through a 10 tree window to get 10 feet from the green and then get up and down for birdie net eagle during our day two match :LOL: Eff you! But in all seriousness, seeing you play so well and hit more greens with fairway woods than I've ever seen in my life was fantastic to watch. You're a blast to be around on and off the course. I just want to be on your side next time and be on the right side of all those bounces! The unicorn headcover was the cherry on top this weekend!

@Nappy - you give me so much **** for joggers and being a lefty, but under all that you're a freaking gem. Another condo buddy, almost getting struck by lightning, Top Golf, Escape Rooms (thank god you can spell "Raven" and your generosity. You're a damn good guy to be around. Still need a round with you too because four holes at Cal wasn't enough! I also need to meet backwards hat Nappy too :LOL:

@xThor - Everyone has said it and I'm going to as well. You're a beast. Not a single complaint from you all weekend through CPO, the heat, the weather, David's terrible direction following, and even having to almost sleep in an airport (okay you may have complained a little there;)). You're one of my best friends on the team and have been from the very start. So glad you made the trip and thankful for everything you did for the team before and during as well. Anime Gods forever! Also this trip proves that your 12.6 was ******** :p You golfed your freaking ball and it was a pleasure to watch at TB!

@Tevenor - You're the perfect ASS CAP for this year. We didn't get a ton of time together but that round at TB was everything I could have asked for. From you hitting bombs, to your one liners to your hug at the end of it. Man I've missed you! I've been lucky enough to golf with you in Chicago and in South Carolina but it's still not enough. You're a fantastic guy and I'm so glad you're able to go back the The Hideaway this year!

@93civiccpe - Another teammate that I didn't get a ton of time with because of the format. But hanging with you and having you as a "Caddy" during that round of TB was fantastic. Wouldn't trade chatting with you about golf and everything else during that time for anything. And that moment me, you, Tev and Neil had one the green on whatever hole it was, was perfect as the Grandmama guys! Also if you ever sell the Autoflex, I'm your huckleberry

Now on to the "New Guys (and Gal)" since I was over my limit the post

@Davidhibler - You're going to kill it as Grandaddy Captain! Getting to know you this last week and being able to share a cart with you on Sunday was an absolute treat. You have a calming confidence to you and I truly can't wait to see you and your team in December! Excited for you Cap! Also a HUGE thank you for getting me to the airport on Sunday even though I'm sure you just wanted to head home.

@BigDill - You're an absolute gem. Your wardrobe, your alcohol tastes, your sense of humor and your ability to hit a 3wood off of a clubhouse and still land 10 yards from the green are all unmatched. I'm so glad you made it on this trip and were a huge part of everything we did! Good luck to you as well in The Budget Championship! If you hit the ball like you did on one of the last holes at TPC, EVERYONE better watch out. I'm talking 310 on the fly!

@billyh - again, someone I didn't get a ton of time with because of format (I vote HIGHLY for zero competition next get together). But I'm glad I was able to sit across from you at dinner on the last night. You're a freaking blast to be around, and judging by all the other post about you, I'm far from the only one that feels that way. Thank you so much for making the trip! Hope we can get a round in the future!

@Sarzar - I think the only phrase I heard for the first day and a half from you was "I'm starving" :LOL:;) You're a freaking gem for going on this trip with 19 other dudes and holding your own not just in golf (you only lost .5 points all weekend) but the banter as well! And putting up with Den raises the bar for you also lol Glad you were able to make the trip and I'm happy you were able to be a part of the round at TB with me!

@e1iterate - Dude, I wish you didn't have to jump out early on Saturday. I was really excited to meet you and I'm glad we got to have a round together! From your bombed drives carrying me most of the day to our closest to the pin bet for $5 where I hit it to seven feet thinking I was the winner and you just casually hitting to five to take it. We GRINDED out 2.5 on Friday and there was no one I'd rather have done it with. You're a great guy and this won't be the last we play together brother!

@JW Smoove - You walk in with F-35 ballmarkers...Can't get much cooler than that! So thankful you were my partner on the first day of matches. I've never seen such an incredible turn around of golf in my life. I kept us in the match for 12 holes but you made sure we weren't losing on those last six. It was an absolute pleasure watching you golf your ball and talking with you that day! So happy you could make the trip and another thank you to you for being caddy #2 during our True Blue round!

@AnthonyC - the late entry but it couldn't have been anyone better! You kept telling me you were glad we got to golf together but man, I'M glad we got to golf together! I'd never seen so many fairways hit (par 3s included) before ;) I got two rounds with you and they were both absolute blasts! Really glad you made the trip and happy we got to have apps and drinks that first dinner night as well!

@Carolina Dundee - I don't know how you're a 15.1 because, you can golf your ball! I've also never seen more bounces from trees back in to the fairway but that's besides the point😁 It was great to get to play two rounds with you man! I also still can't believe you were going to pay a group of strangers $60 to get you to Caledonia that night :LOL: Really glad I got to met and hang out with you!

@drp3434 - Danny, I don't think I can cheer harder for someone I didn't get to spend a lot of time with. I know you have a GD team already but you have a lot more brother because of this trip. I couldn't be more thankful I got to sit next to you at the last dinner. I'm in your corner for whatever you need whenever you need! Also a round together in the future is an absolute must! Again, format stopped me from being able to play with you but I'm going to be watching every second while you're in California! It was so awesome to be able to share a bit about the Hideaway and the experience with you. I absolutely want to be #1 on your list lol

Thank you to THP for being a place where I can go and meet 22 old and new friends for life. I didn't forget about you @Parrot and @dacatalyst41. You guys were missed more than you know.

I truly hope I can see each and every one of you again, whether it's at a future experience or somewhere outside of THP! Every one of you are the best and I'm so thankful for this trip!

Still need Mike’s signature but I wanted to post it now

812AA036-BF4D-4799-9040-2BD455D794A8.jpeg

I want to do a review of the courses we played.

Rankings
1 True Blue moved into my top 5 all time.
2 TPC Myrtle Beach
3 Pawley’s Plantation
4 Willbrook
5 The Traditions

Caledonia was really good but we only played 4 holes. Would have been #2 if I played the whole course or even 9.

True Blue was absolutely perfect except for the rain making the course so soft and cart path only. Every hole is picturesque. Thank god we had @Vader in our group for lines off the tee.

TPC Myrtle Beach was tough because we chose the blues and 6600 yards before the 4 inches of rain. But there were great holes.

Traditions, Willbrook and Pawley’s kind of ran together except the tree that were on the fairwayson Pawley’s. All good courses in good condition but not In the realm of True Blue.

I want to do a review of the courses we played.

Rankings
1 True Blue moved into my top 5 all time.
2 TPC Myrtle Beach
3 Pawley’s Plantation
4 Willbrook
5 The Traditions

Caledonia was really good but we only played 4 holes. Would have been #2 if I played the whole course or even 9.

True Blue was absolutely perfect except for the rain making the course so soft and cart path only. Every hole is picturesque. Thank god we had @Vader in our group for lines off the tee.

TPC Myrtle Beach was tough because we chose the blues and 6600 yards before the 4 inches of rain. But there were great holes.

Traditions, Willbrook and Pawley’s kind of ran together except the tree that were on the fairwayson Pawley’s. All good courses in good condition but not In the realm of True Blue.
After playing those four holes at Caledonia, I was ready to bail on TB and play Cal again instead the next day. VERY glad we didn't do that as TB was my favorite course of the weekend as well.
1. True Blue
2. Caledonia. Four holes is all it took where I can confidently put it here. That 18th though was the prettiest ending hole I've ever seen
3. Pawleys
4. TPC Myrtle Beach (probably lower because it was incredibly hard with my distance loss and the rain with zero roll)
5. Willbrook
6. Traditions (I don't remember a single hole except the downhill par 3)

Last edited:
After playing those four holes at Caledonia, I was ready to bail on TB and play Cal again instead the next day. VERY glad we didn't do that as TB was my favorite course of the weekend as well.
1. True Blue
2. Caledonia. Four holes is all it took where I can confidently put it here. That 18th though was the prettiest ending hole I've ever seen
3. Pawleys
4. TPC Myrtle Beach (probably lower because it was incredibly hard with my distance loss and the rain with zero roll)
5. Willbrook
6. Traditions (I remember a single hole except the downhill par 3)

We have to go back in a few years to play Caledonia and True Blue again.

Will be interesting to see the course rankings if everyone drops em in here.

1. Caledonia / TPC Myrtle Beach
2. True Blue
3. Pawley's
4. Traditions
5. Willbrook

Didn't give Caledonia it's own spot since we only played 3 holes, but we drove a good chunk of the course on the way in and it was gorgeous.

TPC is like my favorite type of course to a T. It was also beautiful and in fantastic shape.

TB was awesome, but I won't lie I was extremely exhausted and a little grumpy on the front, so it may be impacting my vote. But I did get a little burned out on waste bunkers on every effing hole lol. Give me tree lined all day.

Pawley's was pretty solid and the two par 3's to islandish greens were beauts. All the trees in the middle of the fairway were kinda dumb though.

Traditions didn't have anything inherently special but it was a good course and fun. It rained a good amount while playing, which made it hard to get a real good feel.

Willbrook. I don't know, I just did not enjoy this one as much as the others, which completely could be weather related. The greens just seemed much more inconsistent to me compared to the other courses, which was driving me a little nuts. Could loop this one in a tie with Traditions.

@Davidhibler - You're going to kill it as Grandaddy Captain! Getting to know you this last week and being able to share a cart with you on Sunday was an absolute treat. You have a calming confidence to you and I truly can't wait to see you and your team in December! Excited for you Cap! Also a HUGE thank you for getting me to the airport on Sunday even though I'm sure you just wanted to head home.

@BigDill - You're an absolute gem. Your wardrobe, your alcohol tastes, your sense of humor and your ability to hit a 3wood off of a clubhouse and still land 10 yards from the green are all unmatched. I'm so glad you made it on this trip and were a huge part of everything we did! Good luck to you as well in The Budget Championship! If you hit the ball like you did on one of the last holes at TPC, EVERYONE better watch out. I'm talking 310 on the fly!

@billyh - again, someone I didn't get a ton of time with because of format (I vote HIGHLY for zero competition next get together). But I'm glad I was able to sit across from you at dinner on the last night. You're a freaking blast to be around, and judging by all the other post about you, I'm far from the only one that feels that way. Thank you so much for making the trip! Hope we can get a round in the future!

@Sarzar - I think the only phrase I heard for the first day and a half from you was "I'm starving" :LOL:;) You're a freaking gem for going on this trip with 19 other dudes and holding your own not just in golf (you only lost .5 points all weekend) but the banter as well! And putting up with Den raises the bar for you also lol Glad you were able to make the trip and I'm happy you were able to be a part of the round at TB with me!

@e1iterate - Dude, I wish you didn't have to jump out early on Saturday. I was really excited to meet you and I'm glad we got to have a round together! From your bombed drives carrying me most of the day to our closest to the pin bet for $5 where I hit it to seven feet thinking I was the winner and you just casually hitting to five to take it. We GRINDED out 2.5 on Friday and there was no one I'd rather have done it with. You're a great guy and this won't be the last we play together brother!

@JW Smoove - You walk in with F-35 ballmarkers...Can't get much cooler than that! So thankful you were my partner on the first day of matches. I've never seen such an incredible turn around of golf in my life. I kept us in the match for 12 holes but you made sure we weren't losing on those last six. It was an absolute pleasure watching you golf your ball and talking with you that day! So happy you could make the trip and another thank you to you for being caddy #2 during our True Blue round!

@AnthonyC - the late entry but it couldn't have been anyone better! You kept telling me you were glad we got to golf together but man, I'M glad we got to golf together! I'd never seen so many fairways hit (par 3s included) before ;) I got two rounds with you and they were both absolute blasts! Really glad you made the trip and happy we got to have apps and drinks that first dinner night as well!

@Carolina Dundee - I don't know how you're a 15.1 because, you can golf your ball! I've also never seen more bounces from trees back in to the fairway but that's besides the point😁 It was great to get to play two rounds with you man! I also still can't believe you were going to pay a group of strangers $60 to get you to Caledonia that night :LOL: Really glad I got to met and hang out with you!

@drp3434 - Danny, I don't think I can cheer harder for someone I didn't get to spend a lot of time with. I know you have a GD team already but you have a lot more brother because of this trip. I couldn't be more thankful I got to sit next to you at the last dinner. I'm in your corner for whatever you need whenever you need! Also a round together in the future is an absolute must! Again, format stopped me from being able to play with you but I'm going to be watching every second while you're in California! It was so awesome to be able to share a bit about the Hideaway and the experience with you. I absolutely want to be #1 on your list lol

Thank you to THP for being a place where I can go and meet 22 old and new friends for life. I didn't forget about you @Parrot and @dacatalyst41. You guys were missed more than you know.

I truly hope I can see each and every one of you again, whether it's at a future experience or somewhere outside of THP! Every one of you are the best and I'm so thankful for this trip!
😂😂😂 Food is very important to me!
Wish I had the energy to play all of TB with you but I enjoyed cruising around and hanging out! We'll have to tee up again sometime for a full rested round.

True Blue, Caledonia AND Tobacco Road
If you liked True Blue, you should love Tobacco Road. I call it the best Mickey Mouse golf you can ever have. There are a TON of blind or weird shots and you have to ring bells, but it's a really cool course. I have a love hate relationship with that course playing 45 holes in one day there.

Will be interesting to see the course rankings if everyone drops em in here.

1. Caledonia / TPC Myrtle Beach
2. True Blue
3. Pawley's
4. Traditions
5. Willbrook

Didn't give Caledonia it's own spot since we only played 3 holes, but we drove a good chunk of the course on the way in and it was gorgeous.

TPC is like my favorite type of course to a T. It was also beautiful and in fantastic shape.

TB was awesome, but I won't lie I was extremely exhausted and a little grumpy on the front, so it may be impacting my vote. But I did get a little burned out on waste bunkers on every effing hole lol. Give me tree lined all day.

Pawley's was pretty solid and the two par 3's to islandish greens were beauts. All the trees in the middle of the fairway were kinda dumb though.

Traditions didn't have anything inherently special but it was a good course and fun. It rained a good amount while playing, which made it hard to get a real good feel.

Willbrook. I don't know, I just did not enjoy this one as much as the others, which completely could be weather related. The greens just seemed much more inconsistent to me compared to the other courses, which was driving me a little nuts. Could loop this one in a tie with Traditions.

I was drunk with exhaustion the last 6 or 7 holes but the first 3 holes were awesome when we played True Blue.

Ok here we go - I can cheat having played both TB and Caledonia last year.

1. True Blue - it's just a bit more open than Caledonia and you get to ride around in the sand (behaving like kids - idiot kids)
2. Caledonia - there is no more beautiful well maintained golf course in the area - that I have ever seen.
Quick note - I could flip 1 and 2 every time I think them - they are both that great - and FINN SCOOTERS! which were inoperable due to rain:cry:
3. Pawley's Plantain - 41 on the back - best 9 for me in maybe 5 years (given that I did not play for about 2+ in that span. Well maintained, nice layout.
4. Willbrook - poor man's Caledonia (the trees, the Spanish Moss) lose points for the cart path on a course that has to run cart path only - they REALLY NEED to maintain the cartpaths - it was worse that highway repair season in Ohio - which apparently runs from April to the first snow of the year - maybe in May (hahahah)
5. TPC - would rank higher but I am not a fan of the cart path only, deep woods, 10 on #2 - ugh, and it was so wet - that 6600 yards felt like 7600.
Quick note #2 - remove the cart path only bump us to the whites (for old guys like me) and I could flip this with Willbrook - easy.
6. Traditions - just not memorable (for me anyway) beyond getting blown up by @billyh and @Carolina Dundee while my teammate @93civiccpe and I tried valiantly to catch up and halve the match only to blow it on 17 or 18 - so close.

I am getting sick just thinking that - TB from the tips - but again, old.:rolleyes:, if not cart path only and I don't have to carry more than say 200yds -I'm in, unless.

cart path only

Thanks man! It was a real pleasure. Most fairways hit on par 3s! It's a real record.

You did it on one hole and it was spectacular

Good ole #4.

Red is where the tee was. Yellow is where I drove it from. Orange is where it landed and where I hit the 19 UW out of the waste bunker into the bunker by the green.
1661372193913.png

1. Caledonia
2. True Blue
3. TPC Myrtle Beach
3. Pawley's
4. Traditions
5. Willbrook

It took only 4 holes for me to realize I loved Caledonia. True Blue, especially those last two holes pretty special. Lots of sand and waste bunkers, but such a fun and unique course. I liked TPC Myrtle, in great shape, but also super long and not really set up for a short hitter like me.

Pawley's and Traditions were close - but I played really well and loved the back at Traditions. Pawley's was just a beautiful course over and those Par 3's on the back were so much fun to play.

Back