The "thats good" guy who has nothing to do with your game.

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Playing with so many strangers or sometimes only a couple strangers in casual golf there are so many times you end up with the "thats good" guy.
Like as if he has the authority to dictate when to give you putts your not asking for..

What I will do if im the one at the hole is only ask the person if thats good "for them" or if they would like the ball back only as a gesture to send them back the ball but never ever do i dictate to them that its good. This isnt a match vs myself but simply each person playing their own game. Ask...and thats where my offer ends because its up to the person (not myself) to decide whats good or not for them. But some people seem to think they are of the official "thats good" authority in every group. I even come across those who almost insist on it and may often repeat it. Not just to me but everyone in the group.

And mind you...Im not one to pick up and mark but will go and finish out every time so its not like its a pace thing at all. And in fact I often putt out of turn if/when ready while others are readying and whatever, etc.. Also I feel its ridiculous when people have to go and mark when they should just finish out from a few feet. So i am very consistent with ready golf and moving along efficiently. But there are so many times Ill be with given players who think they have the right to tell (not ask) the entire group of what you each should consider good enough a gimmie to pick up.
The person will decide whats a gimmie for themselves...not you. I will let you know and you can certainly ask like i might ask you when Im there but dont dictate whats good unless you gotten very use to what I would consider good. and even then I may want to finish for my own honest scoring. Sometimes they use the other term ..."ill give ya that one" ...but again Im not playing you so your not giving me anything at all nor have the right to. It has nothing to do with you and your score nor game other than it being a courtesy in assisting if I ask or if you ask. But dont just dictate whats good as though your the deciding ruler on others gimmies/games.

Ok small rant over...lol

A person chooses their own gimme? That's quite weird. :ROFLMAO:

A person chooses their own gimme? That's quite weird. :ROFLMAO:
yeah i guess when ya think about it kind of funny.
But certainly yes. if I very close or others are close we may want the ball back. Point being is that its not up to some random person to think they can decide hats good for you when your not playing against that person but just simply golfing for yourself. I thnk you get the gist of what Im saying? No?

I play with strangers frequently and can’t say I’ve ever met someone who was so aggressive about imparting their own gimme rules that it left a lasting impression.

Somebody wants to give me a putt. I’m taking it. I don’t even care if we just met 5 minutes ago. Golf is hard.

I play with strangers frequently and can’t say I’ve ever met someone who was so aggressive about imparting their own gimme rules that it left a lasting impression.
I play alot and usually as single with 3 strangers or at most one person and 2 other strangers. And often enough (not all the time of course) but often enough I get that one guy who thinks he is the gimmie ruler. It can happen just enough to leave an impression especially when they guy is persistent. I have seen others not care for it but too shy to say something as they smack there ball away while not really wanting it done. Not at all an every day occurcne but just enough to bring it up.

Somebody wants to give me a putt. I’m taking it. I don’t even care if we just met 5 minutes ago. Golf is hard.
But your playing casual golf for yourself vs no one but the course and for your own game and evaluation. I dint have the right to tell you or offer you whats good. Thats up to you. As said ...if im at the hole I will ask you if its good or if you would like the ball back but thats where it ends. I mean the person isnt giving you anything cause your not matching vs him. Imo only you should decide what you feel you want to concede yourself. No?

If they say “that’s good” on the first hole or two, I politely reply “I don’t do gimmes but thank you.” If it continues I say it a second time. That usually does it. What really bugs me is when they roll it back to me or whatever and say “That’s good”. I not so politely tell them to not touch my ball pls”.

Typically the only time we are giving or receiving gimmies is during league or match play.

The presumed gimme during a match? Big pet peeve. It will usually lead to no more gimmes at all.

Casual play though? We'll jokingly give them as a means to suggest someone just pickup and get going.... because its been ugly.

Really though, if you want to pick it up, pick it up. If you want to finish, finish it. I'm not getting put off or annoyed by it.

Really though, if you want to pick it up, pick it up. If you want to finish, finish it. I'm not getting put off or annoyed by it.
For sake of pace on the greens imo people should finish out vs picking up. I feel it should be a rule that once one begins putting they should have to continue till holed without picking up again. None of which is related to the "thats good" guy lol

Are you saying anything? If not, it’s kinda on you. If you’re saying something and they keep doing it, then they are out of line.

also, you don’t decide what’s a gimmie at all for yourself, that’s not exactly how that works.

Is that the equivalent of “suck faster”?

This is a non issue. If you're happy to take a gimme, say thanks and scoop. On to the next. If you're not happy to take a gimme, just graciously take the 1st one and politely tell them you'd like to putt out.

If you want to putt out just say so on the first green. Most people will respect that and not say anything later.

No one, especially not a stranger, would bat an eye if you just let them know you prefer to putt them out. Non issue IMO.

I putt 'em all out anyway when I'm paired with Rando's who do that. Unless it's like 2 inches.
If someone knocks it away when it's 2ft, I politely ask them not to do that anymore because I've missed my share of those.

Perhaps it's partially in delivery? I've played with some who'll say something like "that's good by me, if you want it". Seems like a nice middle ground for someone you don't know - especially if you're not playing a match.

I've also told playing partners that I'll putt everything out in a round for practice, so don't offer unless we're behind pace.

I don't see what the big deal is. Are you taking 4' gimmes? or are they like 1' gimmes? If it's like a 1 footer and I or someone says "pick it up" or "that's good" we assume you'll pick it up and add a stroke for the assumed putt out. But if you want to hole out, go right ahead. If you have a dicey 4 footer mark it and wait. It's no biggie except in match play.

I’ll usually walk by with a “you want it back?” If they want to putt it, cool if not I’ll knock it in the direction of the flag so they can grab both at the same time. Gotta cut those wasted seconds out of the round.

Unless we’re playing for money, “that’s good” doesn’t mean schit. You want a gimme, take it. It’s not my score.

For sake of pace on the greens imo people should finish out vs picking up. I feel it should be a rule that once one begins putting they should have to continue till holed without picking up again. None of which is related to the "thats good" guy lol

Pace of play on the greens has very little to do with finishing out vs. marking. We played as a walking threesome today and things were slower in 91 degree with high humidity and finished in 3:15. It would have been 3 hours flat but we were waiting on most of the back nine. We pull the flag and don't finish out putts unless they are inside of 2 feet.

In my group we typically proclaim a 'that's good' to each other in support of what that person feels like doing. I've never come across a "that's good" where putting it out was a problem, I've always seen it as a supportive invitation.

I've also said "that's still good" after they miss their draggy slap putt at it anyways haha

...but then again I've also told some buddies "Nice par" when they've hit it to 10 feet with a birdie look haha

Oh I have with the gimme thing. And it's usually based in them really wanting to be able to rake those same putts of theirs.

Back