Outfitting a Winter Rebuild – The Indoor Golf Setup

@Hawk have you tested the accuracy of the r10 on the top end of your bag? I've heard it's accurate except with possibly driver.

I’ve not done any comparison testing with a driver, though I’ve hit it and it seems in line with what I’d expect. I’ve not heard that though. I know there were complaints about accuracy in general with the R10, but they’ve managed to work out the bugs pretty well. I think it gets even better if you get away from the Garmin software. Setup is really critical for accuracy indoors.

Attention AC Members.
Be on the look out coming up in 2023 for a TON of cool things we are going to be doing for #GarageSimCrew and even a lot on WGP.
This is exciting.

Attention AC Members.
Be on the look out coming up in 2023 for a TON of cool things we are going to be doing for #GarageSimCrew and even a lot on WGP.

Well that’s exciting 🤔

I’ve not done any comparison testing with a driver, though I’ve hit it and it seems in line with what I’d expect. I’ve not heard that though. I know there were complaints about accuracy in general with the R10, but they’ve managed to work out the bugs pretty well. I think it gets even better if you get away from the Garmin software. Setup is really critical for accuracy indoors.
I'm going to be running a similar set up to yours. Glad it seems to be accurate on the driver. My son keeps asking when it's going to be complete:D. Do the kids enjoy it?

I'm going to be running a similar set up to yours. Glad it seems to be accurate on the driver. My son keeps asking when it's going to be complete:D. Do the kids enjoy it?

Yea he does! Only thing is he’s prone to sky balls with the driver. My ceiling bears the evidence :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yea he does! Only thing is he’s prone to sky balls with the driver. My ceiling bears the evidence :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
My garage ceiling is pretty tall so hopefully won't have that issue but I could see it happening.

@Hawk

Have you tried any particular apps when using the R10. I thought there may be other apps that could give differing looks

@Hawk

Have you tried any particular apps when using the R10. I thought there may be other apps that could give differing looks

Im planning on going pretty deep into that, but yes I have. I’ve used e6 connect and a trial version of Awesome Golf. There are others, but you start getting up there in price.

If you are looking for a mat, stay tuned tomorrow as we have a coupon coming because of @Hawk

If you are looking for a mat, stay tuned tomorrow as we have a coupon coming because of @Hawk

Nice. If you’re thinking of jumping in, can’t really think of a better time. Winter will be over before we know it.

Great coupon using code BELIKEHAWK

It IS a GREAT coupon, but it only works for the net. I was expecting and hoping for a discount on a quality mat.

Great coupon using code BELIKEHAWK

So here’s the indoor setup in my space. This a 3-1/2 car garage and I just claimed a corner in the unused stall so we could still park in it.

You’ll notice I boarded up the windows. Taking my own advice there. Replacing one would suck considering how easy it was to fit a chunk of OSB in there.

The other thing is I have a landing mat that is ten feet long leading up to the mat. Then from the mat to the Garmin I lay a blanket. That’s because radar can’t handle bouncing off concrete floors and will give you bad reads. Took me a week to figure that out.

Borrowed an old piece of furniture from my daughter that makes a nice little stand. I’d like to move a TV out there soon, though the iPad is pretty solid.

View attachment 9138689
View attachment 9138690
View attachment 9138691
View attachment 9138692
NIce setup. Even though we have a 2 car garage, we don't have enough room for me to keep mine up. Fortunately, my setup is simple and only takes a few minutes to take up and down. Having the simulator made a big difference for my game and it was the biggest factor for me playing the most consistent golf I've ever played this past year. I am not a fan of the range and being able to practice and getting real feedback led to lots of improvement for me.

Hope you are able to use it consistently this winter.

I wanted to take a minute to just comment on how my theory/plan is evolving with the indoor setup. Though the pieces came at different times, I’ve had a little over three weeks of time since I started online lessons and have used it since then.

I’m obsessive, so there’s that, but I’d say I’m hitting 150-300 balls a day over a couple 45-75 minute practice sessions every day. Not all are full swings, though there have been days where that’s all I did.

The good news is my body seems to be handling the work load. Complete transparency: I already had some left elbow issues going on, so there are times I feel it, but it’s not progressed past general soreness. That’s a good sign, because I don’t plan on slowing down much over the next four months.

The best news, for me at least, is that I’ve already seen some fundamental changes in my swing that I wasn’t able to accomplish during the season. Admittedly, I just wanted to play and enjoy that part of the game while I could, but I did expend a decent amount of effort trying to work things out. There was a time I convinced myself I had full swing yips, because I couldn’t contain my awful, long, horrific backswing no matter what I tried. Good news is I’ve already managed to improve that to the point that it’s almost just a fading memory. I’m slowly learning to shallow the club and actually get into a decent impact position and I expect that to continue to improve.

Don’t get me wrong. Some days I feel lost and want to smash windows, but I’m learning that change is possible and improvement is actually happening. Proof is in the video. Just have to stay disciplined and patient. If you’re wanting to join me on this winter journey, there’s no better time than now to get started.

10 degrees outside this morning. Garage is feeling a little chilly to say the least.

I’ve been relying on a halogen light to give me a little extra heat, but it may be time for something more powerful. What are you all using to heat your practice spaces?

10 degrees outside this morning. Garage is feeling a little chilly to say the least.

I’ve been relying on a halogen light to give me a little extra heat, but it may be time for something more powerful. What are you all using to heat your practice spaces?
I’ve been meaning to pick up a space heater until I can get a NG line run into the garage, but going off square footage they run pretty expensive. Next year I might add another layer of insulation to the garage door, I’ve talked to a few guys that said it helped quite a bit.

I’ve been meaning to pick up a space heater until I can get a NG line run into the garage, but going off square footage they run pretty expensive. Next year I might add another layer of insulation to the garage door, I’ve talked to a few guys that said it helped quite a bit.

That’s a good idea. Hadn’t really thought of that!

That’s a good idea. Hadn’t really thought of that!
From what I've heard it's a pretty user-friendly option. A friend of mine did his with the rigid insulation and he said his kids will be in the garage in January in t-shirts playing.

I have a space heater that was picked up at Home Depot that provides plenty of heat for a space we have that is about the size of a one car garage. I use it to work out and my kids will go hang out in the space with friends in the winter and they are comfortable. I usually turn it on about 10 minutes before I go out there to take the edge off.

I’ll be watching and posting. I’m on version 3.0 of my garage sim. Current ponder is moving the projector from the floor case to a ceiling mount. Pics coming next time I’m fully set up. Mine occupies 1/2 of the garage, but needs some modest break down to get car in properly.

FYI - my first thing was purchasing a dyi garage door insulating package from Amazon.

BCB2CFFF-E9C1-46CE-9979-7FB172FEBFE2.jpegB5EBF956-1E24-4E49-8ED6-535703702838.jpeg1B983505-9D3E-425E-8771-F5C1DC323CD0.jpegC6FF2BB8-093A-46C5-886F-7FB95B2395D8.jpegBCB2CFFF-E9C1-46CE-9979-7FB172FEBFE2.jpegB5EBF956-1E24-4E49-8ED6-535703702838.jpeg1B983505-9D3E-425E-8771-F5C1DC323CD0.jpegC6FF2BB8-093A-46C5-886F-7FB95B2395D8.jpegHeres version 3.0

Daaaang. Nicely done!

Back