The iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
you mean similar to the same kind of fees apple charges for being 'approved' in it's app store? lol
As part of that lawsuit settlement, Apple will pay Nokia 600 million up front and a 1% royalty on all iPhones sold each quarter as a licensing fee. At Apple’s current pace that works out to approximately $138 million each quarter, or more than $550 million annually.

For those wondering what this is about...

Nokia claimed that Apple had infringed on over 20 of their patents for mobile technologies. Apple argued that Nokia was demanding “unfair” licensing fees and didn’t want to pay more than other companies licensing the same technology. There was really never any doubt whether or not Apple "stole" the ideas or was infringing. So instead of bargaining beforehand, Apple went ahead and used the technology and figured they would settle later. They also tried to countersue for a few things that was kind of laughed out of court.

I think they are now the #1 brand in the world surpassing google this year right?

I think so. I remember hearing that Facebook was valued at more then Google for the first time but I think Apple is the number one brand.

But can I ask you guys wouldn't you say since 2007 and the iPhones release wouldn't you say every smartphone has tried to copy or tried to make their own twist on the iPhone so this lawsuit was coming to someone?

But can I ask you guys wouldn't you say since 2007 and the iPhones release wouldn't you say every smartphone has tried to copy or tried to make their own twist on the iPhone so this lawsuit was coming to someone?

In some ways sure. Just as IPhone clearly has copied others. Its part of business when you make something that trends. But that does not make it okay for either side and in this case Apple as a company was blatantly wrong and agreed to an astronomical settlement because of it. Releasing a touch screen and blatantly stealing patented material are two different things.

Now it looks like they have another 1 they are about to lose. Read the first line of this article and it says it all.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/16/apple-sued-for-infringing-ibooks-trademark/

Im a Mac user and a big fan of a lot of their products. Think their business practices are over the top ethically challenged....But you dont become the #1 brand in the world by doing the right thing I guess.

In some ways sure. Just as IPhone clearly has copied others. Its part of business when you make something that trends. But that does not make it okay for either side and in this case Apple as a company was blatantly wrong and agreed to an astronomical settlement because of it. Releasing a touch screen and blatantly stealing patented material are two different things.

Now it looks like they have another 1 they are about to lose. Read the first line of this article and it says it all.

Im a Mac user and a big fan of a lot of their products. Think their business practices are over the top ethically challenged....But you dont become the #1 brand in the world by doing the right thing I guess.
New retirement plan - Trademark all the i-things I can possibly think of, then just sit back and wait for my big fat settlement from Apple!

**Looks at Mark Zuckerberg**

There's a rumour about a "watered down" Iphone5 gonna be available too for the pay as you go market.

I was told by 3 separate people but have not found the time to do some internet searching yet to verify.

Verizon is nixing the $30 unlimited data plan in favor of a tiered system. Glad I got in when I did.

Verizon is nixing the $30 unlimited data plan in favor of a tiered system. Glad I got in when I did.

Dont upgrade your IPhone then. Rumor has it that when you upgrade your phone and "re-up" with them, you will be forced to take on the new system.

exactly right....I don't want to ever lose my grandfather rights

Dont upgrade your IPhone then. Rumor has it that when you upgrade your phone and "re-up" with them, you will be forced to take on the new system.

Crap. Didn't see that.
Oh well. $30 will still get me 2GB. I don't think I'm ever over that anyway.

Crap. Didn't see that.
Oh well. $30 will still get me 2GB. I don't think I'm ever over that anyway.

Just dont stream video and you should be okay. Some video obviously no issues, but lots of it could bring in overages.

The new car doesnt have Sirius in it, which is pretty much my only complaint, so I stream it on my ride back and forth to work. At&t has data usage estimator and Im came in at 1.9GB just barely making it.

The new car doesnt have Sirius in it, which is pretty much my only complaint, so I stream it on my ride back and forth to work. At&t has data usage estimator and Im came in at 1.9GB just barely making it.

Dont use a ton of Tap a Talk then....
But then again if they dont have a larger screen, you are officially boycotting right?

Just dont stream video and you should be okay. Some video obviously no issues, but lots of it could bring in overages.
I think I usually come in between 1 and 1.5 on a normal month. I know I was way over on Masters week when I was streaming live coverage.

Dont use a ton of Tap a Talk then....
But then again if they dont have a larger screen, you are officially boycotting right?

Well at home and work I'm on the wifi. And I don't do the same drive on the weekends so I think I should be ok. If the next iPhone is just a minor refresh I'm not getting it. 4" or go home. Not something I usually say.

Well at home and work I'm on the wifi. And I don't do the same drive on the weekends so I think I should be ok. If the next iPhone is just a minor refresh I'm not getting it. 4" or go home. Not something I usually say.

Haha it took me a second to get that!

Tap tap taparoo

The jailbreakme.com site is back up and allows jailbreaking using a Safari vulnerability

The jailbreakme.com site is back up and allows jailbreaking using a Safari vulnerability

That's a great site!

Tappin' for world peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back